Imperial needs your help

For more than 94 years, the Imperial Theatre has been a showcase of amazing talent and entertainment for generations of Augustans. Many of us can remember growing up and taking in shows and movies in this wonderful piece of Augusta. Its acoustics, Edwardian architecture and historic beauty make the Imperial a community treasure.

We are closing in on the final days of our capital campaign to raise $250,000 to get $1 million in special-purpose local option sales tax funds. We’ve raised $202,000, and need an additional $48,000 to reach our goal.

The funds we raise will help fix the moisture/water problems and improve electrical, heating and air systems. The incredible Imperial needs tender loving care to bring her back to the glory days so many of us remember.

We have great gifts for your donations, including a signed and numbered print by local artist Henry Wynn of the theatre, circa 1939, for $100. We also are offering brass plaques that will be placed on Imperial Theatre chair arms. These plaques have up to 36 letters for your personal message, and are only $95 per chair.

You also can buy both print and plaque for $150. This offer is good only through Dec. 1, or while supplies last.

There are four easy ways to order:

• Go to our website and click on “Donate” in the upper right corner: imperialtheatre.com.

• Call Melanie, our box office manager, and place your order over the phone: (706) 722-8341.

• Send a check, made out to the Imperial Theatre Capital Campaign, with your order and mail it to: Imperial Theatre, 749 Broad St., Augusta, GA 30901.

• Stop by the Imperial Theatre box office, Tuesdays through Fridays 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., and order in person!

You can make a donation for any amount. We need your help now. These are great holiday gifts and wonderful year-end tax deductions – plus a super way to help the incredible Imperial.

As a proud member of the Imperial Theatre Board of Directors and as co-chairman of the SPLOST Capital Campaign, I hope you will join with me in helping us reach our goal.

Preston Moss

Augusta

soapy_725
soapy_725 11/17/12 - 09:06 am
If it cannot support itself, why?

Why should all of the taxpayers of ARC pay for the pleasure of a select few who will benefit? We remember fond days at the Imperial. But a charity case? Not. Let those who would use it pay for it. Let our charity feed,house and clothe the needy. This is a scam. If the CBD is such a progressive place, then why is it not an operating movie theater?
Why don't we save Woolworths? Make a museum out of it? Or better yet another government entitlement storefront.

Lee Benedict
Lee Benedict 11/17/12 - 11:57 am
Seriously?

Tax dollars going to a theater. Since Augusta is willing to raise taxes on the rest of the CSRA, let Augusta fund the theater. Better yet, since Augusta wanted another Obama term, why not follow his lead and raise ticket prices and do so by a huge amount? I understand the historic significance of this building as well as the wants and desires of a select few. But ENOUGH of the bread and circuses.

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/17/12 - 12:14 pm
I wish you well in your quest

I wish you well in your quest for PRIVATE money. Sorry, but I am all tapped out. I gave at a couple of SPLOSTs, TSPLOST, and Paul & Billy's TEE party. Many included beneficiaries of which were private organizations and should never have been given taxpayer money in the first place and one of which was soundly, and wisely, rejected by 75% of the state. Preserving the Imperial is probably a worthy project but should have been done entirely with private money raised from the very FEW Richmond County residents who go there. I resent $1 million of our tax money being spent on this project as much as I resent the $millions of tax money we have put in Paul & Billy's pocket. But hey, I did get 40 rocks thrown in my washed out driveway culvert and ditch. I'm going to try to get Russell to list me on the next SPLOST for a new piece of culvert pipe.

The tax distribution in this county is totally distorted. The elite get to dip into our tax coffers by the bucket loads for their pet projects and elitists interests and they throw some blackmail money at the poorer side of town to get the votes to retain that privilege, but the middle class property taxPAYER is getting raped to support the extremes and we get rocks and an unmaintained ditch.

When the rats are running by my feet at the mailbox beside my crumbling driveway culvert, preserving the Imperial is the farthest thing from my mind and I resent you getting $1 million of our tax money. But good luck on raising the PRIVATE money.

gargoyle
gargoyle 11/17/12 - 09:07 pm
My hearts all a flutter. A

My hearts all a flutter. A place to toss money away downtown .The rest of the county is so privledged to have a four square mile money pit to dispose of spare cash.We don't need Police protection or infrastructure.

Tots
Tots 11/17/12 - 09:12 pm
Henry Wynn,

Signed and numbered prints....Well,do to the fact i know what a generous and talented artist Henry is,i think i can spare the $100.oo..

Sure hate to spend my money on anything else in/for Richmond county..Out of all the fool hearted things this county has wasted money on- this is one project that the community should have backed.... I look at it as a win-win,they get my money to help with the project..I get a "GREAT" piece of art ..

scgator
scgator 11/18/12 - 01:06 am
I can understand your concern

I can understand your concern for raising $48K, so that you can qualify for $1M in tax based funding.............but the way I look at it is, if we don't give you the $48K, then the taxpayers REALLY are saving $1M..........sorry, but I do believe that there are enough financially stable people in the arts community, that they could come up with the $1M....give us a break, we have OBAMACARE to pay for, going to the theater is out for a while !!!

TB case reported at Martinez Elementary

Columbia County school officials are working with public health authorities this morning to investigate a reported case of tuberculosis at Martinez Elementary School.