How would zombies vote?

So, here’s my take on the post-election environment in my hometown area.

As I attended my VA appointment (I’m retired U.S. Air Force, 30 years), I proudly wore my “I voted” tag on the front of my jacket. Everybody I ran into asked me: “So, who did you vote for?” I answered: “The winner, 2008 and 2012.” I got some ugly looks from my white peers, and some of them asked me, “Why?” The only explanation I could give them was to provide them a lesson in history by an analogy.

Imagine for a moment, I said, that we had the power to raise from the dead all white people from Georgia and South Carolina who died during the 1950s and tell them it was Election Day, and they should go to the polls and vote. We would not allow them to actually know who was on the ballot, because in the 1950s it didn’t matter because all Southerners voted straight Democrat. Remember the term “yellow-dog Democrat”? It’s a term that means Southerners would even vote for a yellow dog on any ballot if it was a Democrat.

Horror of horrors, the raised voters would have voted for President Obama. This mind-set was caused and perpetuated after the Civil War, when the Lincoln Republicans occupied the South. Therefore, these 1950s zombies would march to the voting poll and mindlessly vote for the Democrat.

Sadly, the same thing is happening in this day and age, except these narrow-minded zombies have become Republicans, and this transformation was caused by the Civil Right Act of 1965. President Lyndon Johnson whispered to a friend, after he signed the act, that by signing this act he had just given the South to the Republicans for the next generation. And so it was, and is.

Larry Jarrett

Warrenville, S.C.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/12/12 - 11:10 pm
Ops

A First Downer since 5 PM.

Gage Creed
19442
Gage Creed 11/12/12 - 11:12 pm
Funny...an apetheist talking

Funny...an apetheist talking about a Jewish book of fairy tales....

myfather15
myfather15 11/12/12 - 11:23 pm
@RA

Well sir, I would have to disagree with you, of course. There is only one God and He is YOUR God, whether you like it or not and it appears from your "Book of Jewish Fairy Tales" comment, you aren't going to like it one bit, one day.

But you are correct sir, in this Country I wouldn't try to force you to worship God. That isn't God's way either, He doesn't expect nor want us to attempt to force anyone because that would be completely against His intentions. He intends for EVERYONE to have FREE WILL, therefore they will be held personally accountable for THEIR decisions. It's just like a man seeing a pretty woman and kidnapping her, torturing her and saying "You will love me." Yeah, after a while, she will tell you she loves you, but is that true love? God doesn't want to force anyone to love Him, He wants it freely given. Thats also the only way we shall ever have a truly peaceful world. We shall have it one day, thats a promise that will come true. I just hope more people will join in on it. God doesn't want a single one of His children to perish and neither do I. But if that's what it takes to have true, honest peace, so be it. As the Bible says, the amount that follows Satan will be as the sands of the sea. Thats a lot of people my friends, a lot of people. Don't be one of them.

KSL
KSL 11/12/12 - 11:26 pm
We certainly learned a lot

We certainly learned a lot about RA tonight. Keep it up, guys.

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/12/12 - 11:30 pm
Gage Creed11/12/12 - 11:00 pm

Gage Creed writes: "$1.85/Hr? What were you? some kind of strawboss? The owners progeny?"

Naw nuthin' like that at all. I started at $1.25(15 years old) and as I got better and stronger at mixin', haulin and trowlin' mud and layin' concrete irrigation pipe I earned pay raises. This was in 1962. 8, 10, 12, 14 and 16" 3 foot joints were manhandled and during the summer 12 hour days were common. They'll also pack some muscle on you.

Took a pay cut to $72.00 a month with three hots(most days)and a cot(somedays)in May '65 2 years short of being draftable. An entirley mispent youth. Took me all of 27 months to make E5. I just wanted to carry my own pass and get out of guard duty.

I remember when we got to Ft Huachuca in early '68 and after all was said and done my pay with on post housing came out to right about $300.00 after taxes. l looked at the wife and said, "What are we going to do with all this?" True story.

Some of that concrete training came back to haunt me in Lai Khe Viet Nam in late '68. 1st Sgt wanted a fancy cold water latrine. 55 gallon drums cut length wise into halves and hand formed with a couple of pallets of "requisitioned" concrete made a decent place to wash and shave.

Read in the news some years later how that base was one of the first to fall to the NVA. Sure hope those guys enjoyed the latrine.

It's in my nature to be generous.

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/12/12 - 11:36 pm
CG writes: "Ops A First

CG writes: "Ops A First Downer since 5 PM."

Takin' 'em or given 'em out? With Canadian Whiskey? :)

myfather15
myfather15 11/12/12 - 11:45 pm
@RA

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/13/12 - 12:07 am
myfather1511/12/12 - 11:45 pm

myfather writes: Wow RA, sounds like your talking about hard work there. Doesn't sound too much like liberal philosophy to me.

See/ That's the problem with you conservatives. It only "sounds" like hard work to you.

If we could get a few of you to try it, you'd become card carrying Liberal Union Democrats in two shakes of the proverbial lambs tail. Hard manual labor will make true believers out of honest men and crooks out of lesser men.

I know from real life hands on experience who really built America. Mostly it was us immigrants.

myfather15
myfather15 11/13/12 - 01:09 am
@RA

Oooh yeah, I'm quite sure hard work would be good for us, right? But it wouldn't be good enough for convicted felons sitting in prison, right? I mean, that would be against their civil rights to make them actually work, another liberal mindset.

So, conservatives believe in working hard, but keeping more of what you earn. Liberals believe in big government, unions (Which level the playing field so that everyone can be mediocre) and a huge nanny state thats shovels out money to people that are too sorry to work; then you wanna talk to me about conservatives not knowing what work is? Wanna talk about experiences? I was in the Marine Corps and now have been dealing with the public for 15+ years. I see EVERY DAY the people that are frauding the government out of entitlement money.

Why? Because the government doesn't have any restrictions or limitations (i.e. drug testing and time periods) for those receiving funds. Government assistance programs were NEVER intended to be life long programs. They were intended to HELP people while they were having difficult times. I see it EVERY DAY how people live in government housing their entire lives, inviting their entire family to live with them, even though that isn't suppose to happen.

I've arrested numerous people for fighting, and I'm talking about some serious brawls, only to asked them where they work during the booking process and get the response "I can't work, I'm on disability." Ooooh, so you can't find it within yourself to work but you certainly don't have any problem kicking some butt, right?

So, don't preach to me about work!! Your ego is getting the best of you lately. You don't know me and have no idea what work I've done and I've done plenty of hard work. I didn't attack you personally, I just stated it doesn't sound like liberal philosophy, WHICH IT DOESN'T. Liberal philosophy is more like "Why should I work, when the govmint will give me a check." Or maybe "I'm waitin on my Obama money." Conservative philosophy is YOU get out there and work hard and make it on your own. If you do HONESTLY fall upon hard times, you CAN get help.

Liberal philosophy is "You didn't build that." or "You didn't do that. You needed government help." Liberal philosophy, just like your precious unions, is bigger and bigger government. A government that SUPPLIES a lifestyle to EVERYONE, supposedly fairly. True conservative philosophy is "Government GET OFF MY BACK!!! Let me get out here and make a life for myself!! Stop trying to regulate EVERYTHING I DO!! I will make a living for myself and so should EVERYONE that isn't truly handicapped." I along with many people in this Country are tired of dead weights that won't pull their fair share!!

Stormwater fee to fund Columbia County repairs