How would zombies vote?

So, here’s my take on the post-election environment in my hometown area.

As I attended my VA appointment (I’m retired U.S. Air Force, 30 years), I proudly wore my “I voted” tag on the front of my jacket. Everybody I ran into asked me: “So, who did you vote for?” I answered: “The winner, 2008 and 2012.” I got some ugly looks from my white peers, and some of them asked me, “Why?” The only explanation I could give them was to provide them a lesson in history by an analogy.

Imagine for a moment, I said, that we had the power to raise from the dead all white people from Georgia and South Carolina who died during the 1950s and tell them it was Election Day, and they should go to the polls and vote. We would not allow them to actually know who was on the ballot, because in the 1950s it didn’t matter because all Southerners voted straight Democrat. Remember the term “yellow-dog Democrat”? It’s a term that means Southerners would even vote for a yellow dog on any ballot if it was a Democrat.

Horror of horrors, the raised voters would have voted for President Obama. This mind-set was caused and perpetuated after the Civil War, when the Lincoln Republicans occupied the South. Therefore, these 1950s zombies would march to the voting poll and mindlessly vote for the Democrat.

Sadly, the same thing is happening in this day and age, except these narrow-minded zombies have become Republicans, and this transformation was caused by the Civil Right Act of 1965. President Lyndon Johnson whispered to a friend, after he signed the act, that by signing this act he had just given the South to the Republicans for the next generation. And so it was, and is.

Larry Jarrett

Warrenville, S.C.

swcohen
swcohen 11/12/12 - 01:24 pm
Not race, nor color... It's about creed.

I am, and will always be, a progressive leaning libertarian.

That said, I have no beef with the Republican party, and in a parallel universe, I would vote for Republicans... I prefer their fiscal policy... if it were not for the social conservatives who have polluted the GOP's water. I'm not proud of the Democrats' record... mostly, they embarrass me. But until the GOP shakes off its ideology based on irrationality, superstition, misogeny, and xenophobia... I'll take being embarrassed over being repulsed. Shame, too... what with me being a 1%er and all.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 11/12/12 - 01:40 pm
SWCOHEN

I will pray for your salvation and if God answers my prayer you will not only join us in our political goals but in Heaven as well.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/12/12 - 01:46 pm
"Humble Angela writes or

"Humble Angela writes or probably texts:"

Does anyone know what the heck THAT is supposed to mean?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/12/12 - 01:47 pm
SWCOHEN: Please name ONE

SWCOHEN:

Please name ONE thing in the republican platform that is misogynist.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 11/12/12 - 02:16 pm
A couple of questions for "Retired Army"

Retired Army…I don't mean to complicate your life with facts however I was sure you would not do any fact finding on your own so I have made it easy for you.

In 2006 housing starts were 1.96 million. (historically normal)
In 2007 housing starts were 1.36 million.
In 2008 housing starts were 904,000
In 2012 housing starts are projected to be 872,000. (after 4 years of Obama)

Question for Retired Army
If you were a home builder or in the construction trades would you be better off?

in 2006 consumer spending was at 102.00 per person. (historically normal)
In 2008 consumer spending was at $ 97 .00 per person.
In 2012 consumer spending projected to be $ 77.00 per person.

Question for Retired Army
What year represents the lowest consumer spending? If you had a business depending on consumer spending which year would be the worst, causing you to lay off employees?

* Consumer spending is average dollars spent per person per day.

I did all the work just answer my questions.

loblolly
loblolly 11/12/12 - 02:54 pm
Bronco

has done an amazing job of getting our recovery on track, and paving a historical road of helath insurance for everyone. As for homebuilding, I think everyone understands Bronco had no control as the market under Bush went underground. In fact housing starts are inching back up, but the price of construction materials, such as concrete over $100 a yard, just is continuing to not let-up. 4 years from now we will be talking about the greatest recovery this nation has seen as Republicans will be held accountable for their obstructionist behavior.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/12/12 - 05:11 pm
RMSHEFF

You don't expect to get an answer, Do you.

All they can do is give you downers,

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/12/12 - 05:14 pm
Probably

1 from RA and 1 from Techfan.

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/12/12 - 06:40 pm
CobaltGeorge 11/12/12 - 04:14 pm

CG, I haven't given you thumbs up or down. Now, did you know a study might have been done and out of your present 38,264 points you have given yourself 5,638 thumbs up, others have give you the grand total of 6,934 thumbs up, so where do you think the balance of 25,692 thumbs down have come from?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/12/12 - 07:48 pm
Mr RA

I think you have a 3rd grade math level.

First, I have never given my self a point!!!! PERIOD

Off the top of my head I would say since the beginning of points, I have given no more than 800 downers.

I have no idea how you come up with others given me 6,934 uppers, but if you say so, OK

So let say that the 5,638 thumbs up just happen to be thumbs down I received which add to the total.

So now we are dealing with a balance in the area of 25,692 as you claim.

Every day since the beginning there has been and average 250 comments made. I have religiously read just about every post and gave my thumbs up on all but the approximately 800 that I above stated.

So if you take the point starting day of 6 months x 250 per day = 75,000 (Gee, I guessed I missed some)

Now to insinuate that I am the TSD that gives just about everybody a downer no matter how good the comment was ....Is just plain asinine.

Subtracting all the downers given by all the posters including me, The sick TSD would have a point score close to 60,000, that is if it was ever to make one post.

I could have used other words than "Just Plain Asinine"

There is no way in the hell that I have to justify this to you! So take it or shove it!!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/12/12 - 08:00 pm
RA

You picked on the wrong Veteran, Brother Veteran.

This is the end of this debate issue!!

PS: (I have given you more uppers than downers)

allhans
allhans 11/12/12 - 08:15 pm
An example: An elderly friend

An example:
An elderly friend lost his wife last December..she had Alzheimer's and he, having a fair amount of savings, had to pay for her nursing home treatment. Quite an expensive undertaking.

Now he no longer has that expense and told me today that he is faring much better under Obama... I DID say he is elderly.

KSL
KSL 11/12/12 - 10:42 pm
We are down 80k. I am certain

We are down 80k.

I am certain that will make RetiredArmy happy.

He seems to be leading the charge up the hill.

KSL
KSL 11/12/12 - 10:46 pm
Alhans

LOL, there are probably a lot of people doing that math.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 11/12/12 - 11:08 pm
I'm certain that some of our

I'm certain that some of our liberal "serial" posters suffer from Stockholm Syndrome. Just read their posts.....

edit:speel cheque

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/12/12 - 10:55 pm
Votes By Zombies

Believe or Not

Philadelphia, 59 voting districts, Over 19,000 votes cast for the SCDK and not one for Romney! Only in America......

myfather15
myfather15 11/12/12 - 10:56 pm
@RA

Do you see how you contradict yourself?

You state; "And then to allow racists, religeous extremist(not the mainstream) and "lady parts people"(as so aptly put by Bill Maher)to continue to control the social agenda of the Republican party, set the table for their demise in the general election."

Obviously this is an attempt to say these people are in control of the republican party or at the very least, they are mainstream republicans.

Then you say; "Ask Richard Mourdoch, Todd Akin if their stands on rape didn't cost them winnable Senate seats. Hell, even the RNC had enough sense to pull their funding from these two."

So, in one post, you make it sound as if these type people are the mainstream republican party, then in another post on the same thread, you say "Even the RNC pulled their funding from these two." So, if the RNC is pulling funding for them, they obviously don't represent the Republican party, and the republican party has "Denounced" them as you said earlier they should.

That's the problem with uber smart people like you, you think you know everything. Conservatives like myself and most people owning common sense, don't support the things people like this say. Just as I don't agree with Paul Braun when he said the world is only 9000 years old. ALL Policticians say stupid things. The more you give the microphone to them, the more stupid things they will say. Don't act as if it's only the republicans. Want to see some idiotic comments.......See Joe Biden.

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/12/12 - 11:24 pm
myfather1511/12/12 - 09:56 pm

But you miss the whole point. The fact that anybody at all votes for loonies like that should be disturbing to anyone of a reasonable mind.

After such stupid and mean-spirited pronouncements by both of those whacko's they still managed to garner around 47 and 46 percent each, of the vote in their respective races.

myfather15
myfather15 11/12/12 - 11:26 pm
@Humble Angela

"Humble Angela writes or probably texts:"

The only thing I can think is that it just another of RA's little insults he likes to throw at people because he is so uber smart. Always the smartest guy in the room I suppose. His ego is showing more and more and thats the biggest problem human beings have is when they think they know everything.

Just like him giving examples by referencing all the women in his family. Well, I've got a wife, mother, 3 sisters and numerous female friends and co-workers who don't believe the republican party hates women. But, RA said it so it must be true. Remind me to call my momma tomorrow and call her a liar!!

myfather15
myfather15 11/12/12 - 11:29 pm
@RA

Thats IS NOT the point you tried to make, stop back peddling. YOU tried to link them as being mainstream and leaders in the party. Then you said the PARTY ITSELF pulled funding for them. Which way is it?

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/12/12 - 11:39 pm
CobaltGeorge11/12/12 - 06:48 pm

CG wrires: "I think you have a 3rd grade math level."

Umm, actually it was the 10th grade before the dean of boys at Roosevelt High School and I came to the agreement that at 15 years old maybe I should go out into the world untainted by further education.

As I see it, it's worked out well for me. Many Veterans will remember with fondness the old acronym FTA! Fun, Travel and Adventure. Unless of course you were a lowly draftee(some of the finest soldiers ever to serve America)

Two years in the California fields laying concrete irrigation pipe with folks who can't speak good English for a $1.85 an hour will toughen up anybody for basic training.

But the real lesson that I took away from that, was respect for the honest laborer of any tongue who helped build America. That and an appreciation for good Mexican home cooking.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/12/12 - 11:39 pm
RA

By many of your posted comments, I would say you still are using the old acronym FTA!

myfather15
myfather15 11/12/12 - 11:39 pm
I'm just absolutely sick to

I'm just absolutely sick to my stomach of hearing all this "tired old white guys" argument. Is Mia Love a tired old white guy? What about Allen West, Herman Cain, Peter Boulware, Angela McGlowan, Michael Steele, Lynn Swann, Thurman Thomas, JC Watts, and the list could go on and on.

The democratic party are the dividers. They use ANYTHING, especially RACE and GENDER, to case division between citizens. As I've stated before, they have a pretty brilliant plan that is working quite well. They lie and make their opposition appear to be racist/sexist/homophobic by smearing them. Then, the people on the right that don't want to be any of those, moves a little closer to the center because they don't know better.

The problem is, most of the people I know, are too busy with their lives to really get deeply involved in politics. They don't get on here and other websites and make comments. They don't watch the news because it depresses them. They just want to have BBQ's, take the kids to a ballgame or park, go to a movie, ect. They are also too busy with doctors appointments for them and their children, working, church activities, helping neighbors, ect. Bottom line is, most people just don't pay much attention to whats really going on.

I guess that's why I get on here and comment. Because I can't have these same conversations with my friends, because they won't have the slightest clue what I'm talking about when I start talking politics. I mention world events to most of my friends and you can tell by their reaction they have no clue what I'm talking about. For example, I was talking to a friend yesterday and mentioned General Petraeus's resignation and how it was ironic how it comes a week before he is to testify about Benghazi, the friend didn't have the slightest clue what I was talking about.

It's people like this that are very easily influenced and these are the people the left targets. They know they can't influence conservatives who know the truth. The truth that the republican party isn't full of racists, homophobes and sexists. Do they have a few, sure but so does the democratic party. Thats just common sense that you won't hear from the left because it wouldn't further their agenda to mention their party has the same problems.

Bottom line: It's called Confusion!! You must confused the people in order to win more and more. Of course, this is not surprising, we are warned about this in the Bible. They will make right seem wrong and wrong seem right. They use political correctness in areas such as civil rights, compassion, diversity to confuse the people. Saying "If you stand up for those old beliefs, you're a bad person." Of course, there was someone else used the same tactics a very long time ago. His name was Lucifer and he also lied to the people, about God. He turned the people's hearts away from God as well. How? By confusion and lies. He is referred to in the Bible as the King of Babylon and Babylon in the ancient Hebrew is confusion. He is the King of Babylon and he shall fall, very soon. The only question is, how many will go with him? Those that lie to press their agenda, I have a pretty good idea they have a seat reserved right beside him.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/12/12 - 11:42 pm
myfather15

You have hit that one right on the head!!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/12/12 - 11:51 pm
How About That

Got 27 points and with 15 downers not mine....

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/12/12 - 11:55 pm
CobaltGeorge11/12/12 - 10:39 pm

CG writes: "By many of you posted comments, I would say you still are using the old acronym FTA!"

With unbridled glee! One of the best compliments I ever received was from my last Top Dog, ol' 1st Sgt Thompson. The Bn SGM had threatened me with an Article 15 on the way out if I skipped the monthly retirement parade. I had endured many of these in cold and heat over the last twenty years and I was damned if was was going to be in any part responsible for some poor private standing in the August heat on Barton field for an ego fest "I was there celebration."

For the first time in my career, I went on sick call that day, not very sick. Our family Doc a Cpt Rifkin who just hated the Army got the truth from me, I got 24 hours bedrest, 600 privates from the Signal Brigade got a shortened ceremony and Top said to me "Sarge, I've seen a lot of folks over the years holler FTA. You're one of the few I've seen actually do it and get away clean."

The platoon celebrated with cold beers and Cuervo boilermakrs at my house later that day. Not spectacular but very satisfying.

myfather15
myfather15 11/12/12 - 11:57 pm
@RA

It's just as amazing, if not more that anyone would vote for the current POTUS. With all the radical affiliations this man has with extreme leftists and members of the muslim brotherhood, it's simply mindboggling. But, I suppose I'm a racist for thinking that way, to some people.

Thats my point, the left wants you to believe what they say, not what you see with your eyes. Even more so, they want you to believe how they explain what they said, not what they actually said. They will say "That comment was taken out of context." I swear, you could actually catch a liberal politician buying crack on the street and he would probably say "I wasn't really buying crack, I was just trying to help the guy out by giving him money for it so he wouldn't get caught and go to jail. I was just going to flush it down the toilet." The sad thing is, in today's society, half the population would believe it.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 11/13/12 - 12:00 am
$1.85/Hr? What were you?

$1.85/Hr? What were you? some kind of strawboss? The owners progeny?

I worked many hours bucking hay bales for much less... worked beside many men...didn't matter if they spoke or not.

It's truly a shame that someone that served America, ended up with so narrow a vision.

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/13/12 - 12:00 am
And from the "Book of Jewish

And from the "Book of Jewish Fairy Tales" Myfather seeks to scare the Hell out of all of us.

There is a God but yours may not be mine and I like it that way. It's the American way after all, like it or don't.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/13/12 - 12:07 am
All I Can Say RA

"Bn SGM had threatened me with an Article 15" He should have be charge with Dereliction of Duty!

Commission plays 'Let's Make A Deal'

Political rumors are running wild in Augusta just like goats at city detention ponds. For example, here are e-mails that have been making the rounds.