Party failed conservatives

This is why Mitt Romney lost, despite what the pundits say within my own party. Romney was the Republican establishment choice, not the people’s choice!

I am a conservative and have been all my life. I’m 54 years old and I know what a conservative is. The thought of the establishment and those who carried Romney’s water for him in this election will tell you, “We didn’t get the message out. That’s why Romney lost.” Bull! Romney lost for two reasons.

First, he’s not a conservative – he’s a liberal progressive. The “thinkers” in our party thought that those who oppose Romney would suddenly change their mind at the last minute while in the voting booth and push the button for him! Wrong! Conservatives don’t tolerate force-feeding. It happened this time as it happened in 2008; the people decided that Romney was another John McCain, and we won’t concede to dumbing down our party. That’s why we wanted a third (Tea Party) candidate so badly.

Secondly, Romney demonstrated he is a liar in his debates with Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum. That, along with his money, catapulted him to the top of the heap by the establishment, not the people.

The numbers show it! When will the Republican Party get it? Try this again in four years, and you will repeat history and regret it yet again. Don’t force-feed us a candidate who isn’t a true conservative! Quit lying to yourselves thinking Romney was conservative enough, because “enough” doesn’t get it. If you keep catering to the undecided voters and abandon the conservative voters, you won’t have enough voters to elect your candidate!

It’s us, the conservatives, whom you need to appeal to! Lesson over! You failed miserably – again! Retest in four years! Answers and questions will be the same! Conservatism is not for sale! If it was, then in 20 years Republican conservatism will look like the Democrats today, and Democrats will be hard-core socialists.

Danny Himsey

Aiken, S.C.

burninater
burninater 11/09/12 - 10:34 pm
Does Mr. Himsey believe

Does Mr. Himsey believe "true" conservatives stayed home rather than vote for Romney? We can be quite sure they didn't vote for Obama. If they didn't stay home, then the issue isn't that Romney wasn't conservative enough, but that "true" conservatives have grossly overestimated the scope of their numbers and of their appeal.

fedex227
fedex227 11/09/12 - 10:55 pm
Welcome ...

to the dismantling of the Republican Party.

ultrarnr
ultrarnr 11/09/12 - 10:58 pm
True Conservatives

"True conservatives" aka angry white men are a shrinking demographic and will be even less of a factor in the 2016 election. This country is becoming more diverse and less "conservative" whatever that means. If the Republicans continue their rightward shift, they will continue to marginalize their party and their appeal.

Gaffe
Gaffe 11/09/12 - 11:44 pm
The "Grand Old Party" needs

The "Grand Old Party" needs to re-think its strategy. The USA is not a country of fundamentalist Christians, gun nuts and abortion opponents. These represent a minority of opinion in the USA. The "Silent Majority" - to coin a phrase - doesn't have Nancy Pelosi vile-hatred bumper-stickers on their car, nor do they listen to Rush Limbaugh for hours on end or fly the rebel flag from their pickup truck. Yet this is their target voter - an extreme minority of the population, most of whom are not even registered to vote.

I voted for Jill Stein though if we'd been a swing state I would've voted for Obama. I don't collect food stamps, welfare, social security, medicare or medicaid, aid to dependent children, a home mortgage interest deduction, or even a brick of gub-ment chee. I got nuthin!

Well, except that I get all the stuff that everyone in this county gets by default. You know, the Eisenhower Interstate Highway System, the Internet, the Department of Defense, NOAA weather radio. A Coast Guard that calls me on channel 16 when my boat was sinking. Airports that I can fly from - even in my own plane. You know, all that "infrastructure" stuff - that we need.

And yea, part of this includes not letting my neighbors starve to death, just because they made foolish choices in life. And no, they are hardly getting "rich" off welfare or social security or medicare or medicaid. No one is. And for those of you still holding on to this argument I just want to say you look like selfish, petty pinheads who cannot or will not see anything past their own selfish existence.

So this idea that "the only people who voted for Obama were mooching liberals on welfare" is idiotic. A lot of people simply don't think that draconian cuts in non-military spending, accompanied by tax cuts for the wealthy is the way to go.

gargoyle
19612
gargoyle 11/10/12 - 12:00 am
The TEA party has been over

The TEA party has been over run by by the social republicans who still believe Newt Gingrich is the smartest man on the planet.And the social republicans still have not realized how badly they have poisoned the well and how poor canidates they have chose.The Dems did nothing but wait for them to eat their own.After the highjacking by the republican party after a few more years TEA party will not be viable and left to the wayside.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/10/12 - 12:05 am
No, you are not seeing the

No, you are not seeing the dismantling of the Republican Party, but you might very well be seeing the rejection of the far right wacko influence; which is good IMO. I think most people reject the nutty pronouncements of people like Paul Broun, Todd Akin, the Mourdock clown, et al. Good riddance if they are sent packing.

YeCats
YeCats 11/10/12 - 12:19 am
Betcha one thing, no

Betcha one thing, no conservative-lite for Mr. Hemsey!

Hey, he's got it figured out for him. And, his last sentence is already pretty close to already happening.

Well, Mr. Hemsey I'll take my conservatism with 100% of "fiscal".

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 11/10/12 - 06:36 am
wrong

Mr. Himsey, You couldn't be more wrong. Mitt didn't lose because he's a liar, he lost because these "conservative" mindsets are not what the majority of Americans believe in anymore. As stated in other posts, the diversity in our country is growing and demographics changing. We are becoming a more open minded people and the scales have tipped for the moment. The republican party has to quit living in the past if they want to survive in the future. As for the tea "party"... it's not a political party.. just a group of right wing thugs.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 11/10/12 - 07:32 am
Its been a long time since either party

Represented America. We have been settling for a make do able to live with situation since the 60's.

CONSIDER
When the Reform Party started, they were on track for who they represented until they were cleverly politically Hi-jacked and disbanded. For a while both parties co-opted the Reform parties ideas to bleed them off also.

The Tea Party scared the hell out of both Parties. Because they supported either party, provided the candidate supported their Tax Enough Already platform. T.E.A. was a problem for both sides that need $$$ to spend. So they used their buddies in the Media as the tools they have become, to make T.E.A. look like bigoted kooks. Knowing all the while that was false.

True - Romney was NEVER a conservative.
He was a make do that was better than Obama's socialist plans, that is all it was for 49.5% of America.

Techfan
Techfan 11/10/12 - 07:51 am
Yeah, they should have gone

Yeah, they should have gone with a "true conservative" and picked Bachmann or Perry. The election would have been called for Obama at 7:01pm.

CabisKhan
CabisKhan 11/10/12 - 08:17 am
A vote for the lesser of two nannies is still a vote for a nanny

A nanny Government is one that tries to regulate peoples lifestyles and personal behavior. This past election was a choice between two nannies and regular people are tired of having their liberties ,that are guaranteed by the constitution, tromped on. Hence the low voter turnout by true conservatives.

Techfan
Techfan 11/10/12 - 08:48 am
Not a low turnout by

Not a low turnout by conservatives, it's that the independents voted for the other guy. I'm sure, considering the high level of vitriol against the President, conservatives didn't stay home and instead came out in droves. Party idenntification, including independents who lean one way or another, is Dem/lean Dem-48%. Rep/lean Rep-43%. The GOP side, however, consists of many who are old and white. They are dying off and the demographics of the country are changing. We're becoming more multi-cultural and the younger voters coming into the system don't support the reactionary social and immigration policies of the GOP. Unless the GOP moderates on these issues, they will go the way of the dinosaur (maybe they can change their symbol from the elephant to an Apatosaurus). Now all the GOP has is the old Confederacy and the square lightly populated states in the middle of the country. Demographic creep has even started in the Confederacy with Virginia and NC started to lean blue, and even Iowa has gone blue. The GOP may hold out a few more years in Congress due to gerrymandering and off Presidential year elections (39 of the governor races are in this category). The writing is on the wall. Either the GOP moderates or all they'll have is states totalling around 160-170 of the 538 electoral votes.

jbartley
jbartley 11/10/12 - 09:07 am
Time for change

The social issues are killing the party and that keeps the women, Jews and Hispanic from joining our party!!

Mavis Black
Mavis Black 11/10/12 - 09:10 am
Why republicans lost

They lost because they were not willing to pay their fair share. All taxes are passed down to the middle class.

JRC2024
JRC2024 11/10/12 - 09:32 am
Mavis. I will compair my fair

Mavis. I will compair my fair share with yours and bet sight unseen it is more than yours. Get off that quote. It is not correct. I am a white man 63 years old and have never asked for anyone to give me anything. My wife and I have worked for over 40 years and have paid more than our fair share and will continue to do so for awhile longer. We will then draw on social security that we paid into and deserve. It is not an entitlement because we worked for it, not so for a lot of others.

JRC2024
JRC2024 11/10/12 - 09:32 am
Mavis. I will compair my fair

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 11/10/12 - 09:35 am
We, conservatives,

lost because we are cowards. The "leadership" is so afraid of standing up for it's constituents that it will fall for anything. Bob Dole, john mccain and Mitt Romney. Let's just let Lowell Greenbaum run the party. He couldn't have made worse choices for a disintegrating group. I will espouse my Tea Party affiliation with greater strength, if I'm still around for the next election. Or will it be a crowning for the new queen, oops I mean king of America.

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 11/10/12 - 09:40 am
Lincoln himself said you can't fool all the people all the time,

so the GOP should haven known they couldn't lie their way to victory. It really is that simple.

soapy_725
soapy_725 11/10/12 - 10:56 am
Lincoln also said....

you cannot believe anything you read on the internet.
Ben Franklin said you cannot believe anything you read and only half of what you see.
Stalin said it is not who votes but who counts the votes.
Bush Sr. said read my lips, and made all of the hearing impaired angry.
Bush Jr said Jesus was the most influential person in his life. So much for a born again POTUS.
Nixon said he was not a crook.
Obama said he would fundamentally change America.
P T Barnum said there is a sucker born ever minute. 8640 a day. 12,614,400 by 2016 election. No stats on reborn or converted suckers.
Roosevelt said Japan sneak attack would forever live in infamy.
MLK JR said he had a dream. He was murdered.
JFK said ask what you can do for your country. He was murdered.
Franklin Graham said Romney was a Christian. I think that did it.

Jesus said, I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. I and the Father are One. He that believeth in Me shall never die.

YeCats
YeCats 11/10/12 - 11:36 am
Either its the end of the

Either its the end of the world as we know it, or the Republicans are floundering just like the Democrats did from '68-92.

FWIW:

southern2
southern2 11/10/12 - 11:43 am
Shame that balance of power

Shame that balance of power has been shifted to the non working government hand out recipients, illegal aliens, and followers of Saul Alinsky, Lenin, and Allah. RIP USA.

Bizkit
Bizkit 11/10/12 - 11:51 am
Conservatives are a minority

Conservatives are a minority and they've ruined the Rep party but progressives are a minority too and they've ruined the Dem party. Get it. The country is becoming more independent and could give a crap about the radical extremes nor political party. Progressive and conservatives will both go the way of the dinosaurs-least I hope so. Neither of these extreme are willing to find a balance and let freedom ring.

Bizkit
Bizkit 11/10/12 - 11:59 am
Actually the GOP didn't lie

Actually the GOP didn't lie but ran on principal and policy-the Dems ran on lies and attack-created a strawman of Mitt and then burned him. Obama didn't run on any success or a plan for the future-it was all attack, comedy-big bird and romnesia. It's just seems like some ridiculous comedic movie. Obama also played certain interest groups like a violin. Rep need to adapt and play dirty-lies win, attacks win, superficial-I'm eye candy. I can sing and dance, I'm kool, etc has great appeal. This is like reality TV.

burninater
burninater 11/10/12 - 12:49 pm
Bizkit, please tell me that

Bizkit, please tell me that you are not making the claim that the Right did not create a strawman of Obama from before day one of his Presidency, and then perform ongoing attacks on that strawman every single day until the present.

Bizkit
Bizkit 11/10/12 - 01:57 pm
NO I agree just the Dems were

NO I agree just the Dems were better at it this go round. The Rep party is bipolar right now so they killed themsleves.

TParty
TParty 11/10/12 - 02:41 pm
Here's where Romney's team

Here's where Romney's team screwed up. They made it a strategic choice to make the election a referendum on Obama's stewardship of the economy. They could have decided to focus on how Romney would make different choices and detail those choices, but they chose not to. The entire message was "Are you better off? If not, vote Romney."

And that proved to be a huge strategic mistake, because enough people believed that while they were not better off, that Obama was doing a good enough job handling the mess, and that things were starting to turn around.

The only substantive part of Romney's economic plan that was discussed was his tax cuts, which he promised to make revenue neutral. The fact that tax cuts were the central economic theme of George W didn't help. You can't point to the Bush tax cuts and say "look at how great they were for the economy!" It also didn't help that Romney stressed that the tax cuts would be revenue neutral. So he was emphatically saying "I'll lower the tax rates, but I'll extract money by eliminating deductions so you'll end up paying the same." That left most people going "huh?"

So in the end, people didn't have a compelling reason to vote for Romney. It became about if you hated Obama enough to want to toss him out. And enough people didn't hate him, so that the gambit failed.

Bizkit
Bizkit 11/10/12 - 04:11 pm
That's a fairly accurate

That's a fairly accurate analysis. People didn't vote for Romney they voted against Obama because the Rep did manage to demonize him to garner some votes too. But the Dems were better at polarizing progressives and enough indeps to hate Mitt as an evil robberbarron. It was the year of the hate vote-really emotional rather than logical by creating a boogey man. I think if both parties would drop the "ideology" and create a logical multifaceted plan of tax increases for everyone-suck it up, less govt spending till we can afford cuts and downsizing, and then a "people" stimulus not big businesses that are too big to fail, or govt, but to all citizens *everyone gets a check" and small business would be given advantages and some start up. De-regulateand eliminate the red tape but regulate the rules of engagement to prevent abuse. Govt has lost its way.

Bizkit
Bizkit 11/10/12 - 04:27 pm
The Rep stink at what fights

The Rep stink at what fights they pick too. Issues of conscience like abortion, gay marriage, etc. is an issue of govt not of faith. In a free society we have to tolerate each others diversity-least a group will lose it being tolerated. Christians can't yell we are being attacked all the while attacking expecting immunity because of their absolute belief. It isn't a christians job to enforce God's law nor lay judgment to its effects. All "we" can do is be good witnesses, give, spread love not judment-after the grace I received far be it from me to lay judgment. Who among you will cast the first stone. Well we know some would stone you to death-which is like Saul before he became Paul. While I may agree something is wrong or a sin-it just ain't in my job descriptioin to be casting dispersions anyones way. I got my own load in that regard.

KSL
KSL 11/10/12 - 08:15 pm
Biz

I would say social conservatives are the minority. Fiscal conservatives are not. Leave the social out of the mix and you have another huge landslide aka Reagan. And then everyone begins to enjoy the benefits of prosperity and safety from aggressive foreign enemies.

carcraft
carcraft 11/10/12 - 09:47 pm
I think Romney would have

I think Romney would have been head and shoulders above Obama. Obama spent over $100 million dollars sliming Romney before Romney got started. The press never called Obama on his lies about Romney and never covered Obama's failures with any accuracy. About a million people are still without power, remember Obama said we will leave no one behind? BWAHAHAHAHA At least I didn’t go as far as Chris Mathews and say think God for Sandy..I am predicting continued unemployment of around 8 to 9 %, trillion dollar deficits and Obama care will be costing around 2 trillion dollars by the end of Obama's 8th year. Once the reality of Obama's failings are finally placed in his lap, who is Obama going to blame the economy Obama inherited this time!