There goes our country

“There goes the neighborhood!” That is what my grandson said, following the announcement that President Obama had won re-election Tuesday.

Unfortunately, I don’t think that he realized the gravity of the situation. It does not stop with the neighborhood. Those who voted Obama back into office will come to rue this day! It will be the town, the city, the state and our once-great nation!

In four more years, they will not recognize this nation, our flag, the Constitution of the United States of America or any of the principles upon which our country was founded. Woe be it to those who scorn logic, common sense and God!

Gaffe
Gaffe 11/09/12 - 11:44 am
The GOP is done, going the

The GOP is done, going the way of the Whigs. They are never going to recover. They can point all over the place, but the core problem is that they are so out of touch with reality that there is no place for their fantasies. It might not happen in the next 4 or 8 years, but the party is on the track to being obsolete. I've been looking for a path for a renewed, productive, and generally useful republican party for years and I haven't seen it. Tea party could have been a good movement focusing on responsibility and limiting government involvement where it wasn't needed, unfortunately it got majorly hijacked by absurd social ultraconservativism, which is strangely at odds with the central principle of small government. At this point, I see no way to recover the party. I think a lot of other socially moderate republicans feel the same and the number of disenfranchised republicans will grow and the party becomes more entrenched in extreme views. I think for those of us already there, it's just a matter of seeing how much influence we can have in short term and hoping another party forms to move to.

TParty
TParty 11/09/12 - 11:52 am
"The GOP is done" I don't

"The GOP is done"

I don't think this is true. I think there is going to be a split soon. People like David Frum, Jon Hunstman, Steve Schmidt and even Michael Steele will lead a new party within the GOP- while the far right crazy fanatics continue going towards their Christian Taliban path.

Fiscal responsibility and limiting government is something that resonates with all Americans. It's the reason most American's support the Federal government ending it's war on drugs, gay marriage is okay, and politicians should not make laws preventing the amount of soda you can purchase.

KSL
KSL 11/09/12 - 11:53 am
No tparty, it was not the

No tparty, it was not the Republicans' plan. It was Romney's plan for a basically liberal state. There is a difference.

KSL
KSL 11/09/12 - 11:59 am
Gaffe, after Reagan won so

Gaffe, after Reagan won so resoundingly, I had liberal friends bemoaning the fact that the Democrat party was in trouble and begging help from the Republicans to make certain the 2 party system was preserved.

Gaffe
Gaffe 11/09/12 - 01:57 pm
So what you want KSL but

Say what you want KSL but demographics are going to kill the right unless they start realizing there is something else beyond white male Christian America. You cannot alienate women , minorities and the poor while at the same time supporting a system that consolidates power at the top.

It's not just the minorities they have lost, they are also losing everyone under 30 regardless of race, religion and income. The GOP will continue to lose because they have chained fiscal conservatism, which has very broad appeal, with a form of religious social conservatism that is extremely unpopular with 21st century America. I'm not exactly a social liberal, but I believe the government should stay out of people's private lives. There are a lot of others who believe small government is incompatible with legislating religious morals on a diverse nation. Today's GOP is controlled by a bunch of rich hypocrites who cry about government interference in their workplace, but demand for government interference in our homes.

loblolly
loblolly 11/09/12 - 12:08 pm
Gaffe

is correct. See how the right-wing is today changing their tune on immigration, as well as acknowledging ACA is a "done deal." The dynamic now is you cannot win a Presidency without minority support. Therefore, the GOP changes philosophy or the fly off with the Dodo. Demographics will only continue towards an increasing non-white majority.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/09/12 - 12:09 pm
browncle, do you care to back

browncle, do you care to back up the accusation that Bush stole an election?

loblolly
loblolly 11/09/12 - 12:10 pm
It's not just minorities

it's women and gay/lesbian community. Even catholics voted for Obama! The only vote won by Romney was white male, and that pot is just going to keep shrinking. KSL, what do you think the GOP should do?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/09/12 - 12:11 pm
"Today's GOP is controlled by

"Today's GOP is controlled by a bunch of rich hypocrites who cry about government interference in their workplace, but demand for government interference in our homes."

That sounds very much like both parties to me.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 11/09/12 - 12:20 pm
you are right we on the

you are right we on the conservative side feel krugman is a partisian joke..and please bush did not steal anything including the 2000 election. i would go thru the media meddling with you in that election but it would be a waste of time...and contrary to the left's belief...we as a country are in very serious trouble....when you run 1.2 trillion in deficits, cant even pass a budget or even submit one...like ried..sign off on damaging regulations and the list goes on ..those who are truly worried about this country are mocked by those who's heads are stuck in the sand. we truly have lost our country to a bunch of selfish children.

loblolly
loblolly 11/09/12 - 12:20 pm
Today's GOP

is actually charcterized by an absence of message. What is the GOP message other than to say no? Is the T-Party the faction giving the message? I wonder how they will now respond to Hannity after he now says his position has evolved to now providing a gateway for ctizenship for illegals?

KSL
KSL 11/09/12 - 01:28 pm
Interesting

I know plenty of under thirties who are conservatives.

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 11/09/12 - 01:39 pm
One thing is for sure....

....I'm about to lose my private insurance because of this Marxist clown...My employer has already told all of his employees that the fine for NOT having insurance will be cheaper than the cost of the policy....Which means I'll be forced, FORCED, against my will into the PUBLIC programs that we all know will be just "peachy".......Oh my bad..if I don't want insurance I'll be FINED for that as well.....

To ANY one who thought Obamacare was anything BUT an attempt (now successful) to destroy the private healthcare industry in order to force,FORCE, everyone into a socialized system you are delusional....

Thanks for nothing Dumocrats...

loblolly
loblolly 11/09/12 - 01:51 pm
Conservative Man

you will be able to purchase your health insrance through an exchange. Unfortunately, Georgia bet on Obama losing so they did nothing to prepare, so you will have to purchase from a federal exchange. See, your employer is using the ACA to drop health insurance, but Uncle Bronco is there to help! Another conservative conversion!

TParty
TParty 11/09/12 - 01:52 pm
"it was not the Republicans'

"it was not the Republicans' plan. It was Romney's plan for a basically liberal state. There is a difference."

Severely conservative Romney, who ACES endorsed, a man who beat out almost a dozen GOP candidates implemented a plan for his state- something he was very proud about it, because of how successful it was. He got the idea from conservative economists developed the concept in the late 1980s, when they were searching for a market-based, rather then a government take over which liberals wanted- and still want.

Maybe it's not a republican plan today because the loudest republicans have gone so far right- but ObamaCare was born from conservative minds, and implemented by severely conservative Romney.

loblolly
loblolly 11/09/12 - 02:02 pm
It is funny that

conservative posters forget that they are the people who made Romney their nominee. They had plenty of right-wing choices, but all were rejected by themselves. Do not understand the Romney bashing by those who made him their nominee.

loblolly
loblolly 11/09/12 - 02:10 pm
And finally Sean Moore

I believe you have a glitch in your firewall to keep those who haven't paid a subscription from posting, as I have been able to do the last few days.When I get the firewall telling me I have used my monthly allotment, I just log-off, and then log back in. Of course, there is a theory I have regarding why I can do this, but I am sure you are smarter than I. Might want to check that out. You're Welcome. Time for weekend fun and relaxation.

Gaffe
Gaffe 11/09/12 - 02:16 pm
The "Grand Old Party" needs

The "Grand Old Party" needs to re-think its strategy. The USA is not a country of fundamentalist Christians, gun nuts and abortion opponents. These represent a minority of opinion in the USA. The "Silent Majority" - to coin a phrase - doesn't have Nancy Pelosi vile-hatred bumper-stickers on their car, nor do they listen to Rush Limbaugh for hours on end or fly the rebel flag from their pickup truck. Yet this is their target voter - an extreme minority of the population, most of whom are not even registered to vote.

I voted for Jill Stein though if we'd been a swing state I would've voted for Obama. I don't collect food stamps, welfare, social security, medicare or medicaid, aid to dependent children, a home mortgage interest deduction, or even a brick of gub-ment chee. I got nuthin!

Well, except that I get all the stuff that everyone in this county gets by default. You know, the Eisenhower Interstate Highway System, the Internet, the Department of Defense, NOAA weather radio. A Coast Guard that calls me on channel 16 when my boat was sinking. Airports that I can fly from - even in my own plane. You know, all that "infrastructure" stuff - that we need.

And yea, part of this includes not letting my neighbors starve to death, just because they made foolish choices in life. And no, they are hardly getting "rich" off welfare or social security or medicare or medicaid. No one is. And for those of you still holding on to this argument I just want to say you look like selfish, petty pinheads who cannot or will not see anything past their own selfish existence.

So this idea that "the only people who voted for Obama were mooching liberals on welfare" is idiotic. A lot of people simply don't think that draconian cuts in non-military spending, accompanied by tax cuts for the wealthy is the way to go.

KSL
KSL 11/09/12 - 02:17 pm
Severely conservative?

Severely conservative?

TParty
TParty 11/09/12 - 02:34 pm
Yep KSL, that's what Romney

Yep KSL, that's what Romney said about himself.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 11/09/12 - 03:36 pm
I'm going to miss your banter today

I went to my little grandaughter's school - they honored our veterans - I cried - I felt a need to find my joy in our country - this president too will pass through these gates and hopefully, we'll have another one. I heard a little 3rd grader said I want to kill Obama - OMG - we can rant and rave on here, but when we take the little kids on and they don't understand and their parents probably don't either - I suggest everyone go to a Veteran's Day place - let's be proud in our country - I lost alot of money on Wed - I fear we will fail - I'm sorry for my children and grans - thankfully they are on the path that our Father's taught us.

TParty
TParty 11/09/12 - 03:50 pm
"let's be proud in our

"let's be proud in our country - I lost alot of money on Wed - I fear we will fail - I'm sorry for my children and grans - thankfully they are on the path that our Father's taught us."

What?! What does any of this mean?!

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 11/09/12 - 03:56 pm
TParty - that's our problem

You just don't understand!

allhans
allhans 11/09/12 - 04:23 pm
And now The great American

TParty
TParty 11/09/12 - 04:29 pm
That's our problem? "Let's be

That's our problem?

"Let's be proud in our country" Okay- what does that mean? Supporting our democratically elected President?

"I lost [a lot] of money on Wed" Okay, and?

"I fear we will fail" Fail in what? Losing money? Being proud of our country?

"I'm sorry for my children and grans" And why is that? Because you lost your money? Because you're proud of our country?

"thankfully they are on the path that our Father's taught us." Does this still mean you are sorry for you children and grand kids?

TParty
TParty 11/09/12 - 04:30 pm
"And now The great American

"And now The great American general Gen Petraeus has resigned from the Obama fantasy-land...."

Do you know why? Because of an affair he had. Nothing Obama has done if that is what you are implying.

KSL
KSL 11/09/12 - 04:41 pm
tparty

Are you that close with Petraeus?

KSL
KSL 11/09/12 - 04:43 pm
You might want to check with

You might want to check with Dailyjobcuts.com

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/09/12 - 05:10 pm
allhans 11/09/12 - 03:23 pm

allhans writes: "And now The great American general Gen Petraeus has resigned"

You DID read WHY he retired didn't you?

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/09/12 - 05:15 pm
What Condi Rice says about the GOP

WASHINGTON — Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice says the Republican Party must adapt better to rapidly changing demographics in the United States, saying the GOP sent "mixed messages" in the election campaign on immigration and women's issues.

"On the immigration issue, which turned out to be very important, and some issues about women too, some mixed messages were sent," she said Friday on CBS' "This Morning. "And when you send mixed messages through the narrow funnel that is the media spotlight sometimes people hear only one side of that message."

"Right now for me the most powerful argument is that the changing demographics in the country really necessitates an even bigger tent for the Republican Party," she said.

Said Rice, "But when you look at the composition of the electorate, clearly we are losing important segments of that electorate and what we have to do is to appeal to those people not as identity groups but understanding that if you can get the identity issue out of the way then you can appeal on the broader issues that all americans share concerns for."

Very very smart lady imo...