Send Anderson to Congress

I look in awesome wonder at the criticisms and character attacks heaped upon people who choose to offer themselves for public office. In most cases, these attacks are born in absolute lies.

How many of us would wish the same thing on family and ourselves? What causes people who will never put themselves into a political contest to be so critical of those who try? To be called a Honey Boo Boo, a nincompoop, incapable and a political bum, and have their families endure the pain of reading such comments?

Lee Anderson and family have endured it all.

He is a man with a college education, a third-generation farmer, a successful businessman and a deacon in his church. He is a father of two children, and married for 31 years to a wife who devoted her life to education and a better way of life for children.

He is a man who was elected to the Columbia County Board of Education and the Columbia County Commission – a man who was elected to the General Assembly of Georgia and served well. I know – I was there with him.

As to being a great orator, my history books tell me that one of the greatest Americans and wisest of them all, Thomas Jefferson, was lacking in this particular area. Maybe it’s time we send more commonsense Americans to Congress and fewer oratory lawyers.

I ask you, my friends, to go to the polls and prove that there must be principle with politics.

Bill Jackson

Appling

(The writer is a Georgia state senator representing District 24.)

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 11/01/12 - 01:01 am
So if he gets elected,

he'll be a freshman, and with no seniority whatsoever with committee assignments. Between that and his locution, just how effective can he be?

createyourfuture
createyourfuture 11/01/12 - 02:14 am
Why would you send a man Congress who:

Was a no-show at the Atlanta Press Club debates that were broadcast and made available online to voters?
Who has refused to debate his opponent?
Who has allowed millions of dollars of negative ads to be run against his opponent, but has not run a positive ad of his own?
Who's face is not on any campaign material?
Who's chief qualification seems to be that he is against President Obama?

Sorry Senator Jackson, as someone who worked in the Reagan campaign in 1976, and has been a libertarian conservative all my life, I will be voting Democrat for the first time in my adult life. I cannot support a candidate who hides from the public who he wishes to serve.

wayne2410
wayne2410 11/01/12 - 05:06 am
Indeed Mr Jackson, Anderson

Indeed Mr Jackson, Anderson is the better choice by far. Barrow is just a puppet for Pelosi and does not represent us at all. Kick Barrow to the curb

soapy_725
soapy_725 11/01/12 - 06:21 am
Another county heard from.......

was an old saying. Mr. Jackson your loyalty is admirable. But the "lies" you present are the truth. All the Republican "public servants" want is to fill another government position with an unopposed Republican. More loyalty. What about loyalty to those who are the "public". Self serving is the correct name. Evangelical, farmer, mother loving, apple pie eating, down home "political despots", all.

Put the Demos and Repubs in a basket and shake them up. You cannot tell the difference. The are all power hungry, want the money and influence that comes with government affiliation. Reelect me to reelect me. Next we'll get endorsement from Chambliss and Isaakson. More EMPTY CHAIRS. More YES MEN.

soapy_725
soapy_725 11/01/12 - 06:46 am
From "Back to Basics"

District 12 Congressional candidate Lee Anderson is homegrown, down to Earth and as real and unassuming and reliable as the land he has worked all his life.

Sounds just like Jimmah Cotah. LOL LOL LOL

Maybe Lee should run for POTUS and get three teleprompters.

Jane18
Jane18 11/01/12 - 12:37 pm
Comments "sound" Judgmental

So, what is wrong with being from the backwoods of W. Virginia? There are some very good people that live there and come from there. How dare anyone criticize someone for the way he sounds? The people you really need to gripe about are the ones that talk out of both sides of their mouth, for their benefit or their great leader(and not for us regular folks)!!!

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 11/01/12 - 03:11 pm
I support Lee Anderson for

I support Lee Anderson for Congress. The potential for Saturday Night Live material is enormous.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 11/01/12 - 04:17 pm
For or against

I don't care about Romney or Anderson but I'm voting against Barrow, just like I'm voting against obama.

baldheadguy
baldheadguy 11/01/12 - 06:50 pm
Why didn't you help Anderson get prepared for Congress?

You're part of the Republican leadership in the GA legislature. Why didn't you groom Anderson for the job he now seeks? It looks like the Republican leadership in Atlanta didn't think much of his qualifications as a legislator. Maybe you never expected him to get this far. Now he's here and you feel forced to defend him. You've let us down, Bill.

DeepThink
DeepThink 11/01/12 - 07:04 pm
I'm a registered

I'm a registered Republican...worked on the 1980 Reagan campaign and voted for him twice. Have NO plans to vote for either Mitt the serial lier flip flopper or the highly incompetent Anderson!

msgret92
msgret92 11/01/12 - 07:28 pm
College Educated

Anderson's web page says he attended two colleges, did he graduate? Maybe he should show his diploma to encourage Obama to show his transcripts etc.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/01/12 - 08:49 pm
No Good Choice

Anderson is a big government, tax and spend Republican. That is worse than a blue dog Democrat.

When I got to this race on my advanced voting ballot last Saturday, I just left it blank.

DeepThink
DeepThink 11/01/12 - 09:26 pm
Bill - No need to look in

Bill - No need to look in awesome wonder at the criticisms and character attacks.....but look in awesome wonder at who YOU and the out of touch Republican establishment chose to put in this race. After this election the party will need to do some soul searching , and wake up, and get back to our conservative roots, and figure out how we can survive as a party in a more demographically diverse country. You HAVE let us down Bill.

dixieshicksa
dixieshicksa 11/04/12 - 04:23 pm
Honey Boo Boo or Little Rabbit Froo Froo?

First of all, where does Gwen F. Young get off calling people names because they don't talk like her? Like she's descended from royalty? And if she's going to be a mean girl and crack on Mr. Anderson because he's a farm boy who doesn't look and act like a movie star, then perhaps she should peer into a mirror. If she and Honey's mama stood side-by-side, they'd just about pass for twins (from the rear, anyway.) Anyway, I'd much rather have HBB in Congress, country twang and all, than a snob who's just another rabbit in Obama's hutch.

Local merchants welcome Small Business Saturday

With having to compete with e-commerce and national retailers during the holiday season, local merchants welcome the spotlight that comes with Small Business Saturday.