Government stifles work

I get so aggravated at the media and Democrats who try to make people think a small business that makes over $250,000 is rich.

I am a single owner/employee consulting engineering, Subchapter S corporation, thus any profit I make is taxable as personal income. I am mostly retired now, as age has crept up on me.

Back when I was working 60-80 hours a week, I was grossing between $130,000 and $180,000. This was 25 years ago; if you extrapolated that gross income to today’s dollars it would be between $230,000 and $320,000, providing I was working at the same level.

This means that as the present administration purports, I would be close to, if not in, the so called “rich” class. I made this kind of money because of effort, desire, expectations and risk, not because the government did it for me, as the president suggests. I would hire a part-time person occasionally to help with drafting, drawing review and other non-engineering tasks. Under the present administration’s stated policy, I would have to pay more taxes, have more regulations and have more costly paperwork.

This policy is not conducive to the effort I and others would care to put forth. Under the present policies, I would not hire this employee because of the burdens of higher taxes, more paperwork and possibly more government-required expenditures, thus someone would not have work.

If you extend these policies into larger firms, more people would not be hired, many full time, because of the added government restraints. No wonder the unemployment rate stays so high.

We need an administration that is business-friendly, one that will eliminate unnecessary regulations, reduce the tax burden on businesses in general and get out of the way of enterprises so that we and others can get back to work.

Charles M. Stone, P.E.

Evans

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/22/12 - 11:49 pm
Very good letter

Charles you hit the nail on the head with this one. I wish our leaders would get out of the way of folks who decide they want to work hard and enjoy the fruits of their labor.
I am so sick of the government getting in the way of business that I want to scream. It makes no sense. How is a small business going to hire people when the government has the owners hands tied with ridiculous regulations.
If the people we send to Washington could somehow understand that we can't spend more money than we make we just might get on the right track.
More taxes is not an answer. We have tough choices to make as a country. It's going to hurt but if we're going to get out of debt we're going to have to bite the bullet. As I tell my wife constantly "If we were to run our household the way our elected officials run this country we'd be living in a cardboard box within 3 months."
You know I'd like to have a few things that I really need but guess what. I CAN'T AFFORD THEM! This means that I don't have the money to pay for them. I could put it on a credit card but guess what. I CAN'T AFFORD the intrest rates they would slap on me for not paying it off right away. Why is it that our Represenatives can't seem to understand the simple fact that the country is not only broke but in serious debt yet we just keep raising the debt ceiling.
My 12 year old son understands money management better than our represenatives.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 10/23/12 - 09:26 am
Charles

Charles is exactly correct and Obama knows what you are saying is correct, however Obama's main focus is NOT getting the economy growing so folks can get a good job and support their family. His main focus is wealth redistribution ie: Joe the plumber. He thinks those that have done well prospered at the expense of the poor. By the way, this is the same view he takes globally. America has prospered by seizing the wealth of poor countries. He has been trying to redistribute Americas wealth as well. Why has he restricted drilling in the gulf and government lands while encouraging and loaning money to Brazil and Mexico to drill in the gulf and telling telling them "we want to be your best customers". If you are in the group of the "wealthy" you must be punished.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/23/12 - 09:31 am
RMSHEFF

I couldn't agree more. America used to be a place where if you worked hard you could prosper.
Now if you work hard someone takes your money so that someone who does nothing can prosper.

faithson
faithson 10/23/12 - 09:36 am
Charles

U do realize that when it comes to this tax thing all the administration is asking is to go back to the tax rates YOU paid when you worked those 25 years ago. How this idea gets so blown out of proportion is really interesting. I know many, many people who made tons of money in the 90's paying the going tax rate without it inhibiting their initiative. All this talk of tax increases for those in the higher brackets is propaganda, period.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 10/23/12 - 09:46 am
So moving forward is

So moving forward is good......except when it pertains to taxes?

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 10/23/12 - 09:52 am
Propaganda

starts in the school system and advanced degrees are offered at institutions of higher learning. I know, my wife is a college professor. bill ayers ( one of obama's dearest friends and propagandists) is a college professor in that most civil of cities, chicago. All the boy did when he was young was attempt to commit murder along with his fellow lefties.

dichotomy
dichotomy 10/23/12 - 12:26 pm
"made tons of money in the

"made tons of money in the 90's"

You did not have Obamacare in the 90's. You did not have the disatrous federal debt and generally bad economic environment. You did not have the overwhelming and complicated regulations of the EPA, IRS, SEC, OSHA, and a myriad of other government agencies. Yes, we had those agencies but they have been producing thousands of new regulations per year since the 90's.

bubbasauce
20573
bubbasauce 10/23/12 - 01:07 pm
To shrimp for breakfast 11:49

To shrimp for breakfast 11:49 post, it is sooo easy spending someone else's ( taxpayers) money! That is how they do it and with a clear conscious.

bubbasauce
20573
bubbasauce 10/23/12 - 01:14 pm
Amen Dichotomy! Good ole

Amen Dichotomy! Good ole government regulations! What would we ever do without them? Probably prosper. Yet these regulators think they are doing a great service to our country. Don't think so.

timothycederdahl
timothycederdahl 10/23/12 - 08:42 pm
Couldn't Agree More

I don't know what crackheads believe this will work lol. It's really because like Romney said 47 percent of people have issues. It sounds bad but it's really the truth. People keep saying pay your share fair well some people aren't paying anything if you don't do your job what happens? You likely get fired and replaced. I really don't know if any other country has a system like we do where we give people something for nothing. Yes people have needs but it has gotten out of hand when i lived in nebraska I just to buy peoples food stamps the going rate is 2 dollars for one of real money lol. It sounds bad but that is what this country has really become. That's why alot of people don't believe in these polices they aren't stupid.

wayne2410
wayne2410 10/24/12 - 03:46 pm
Amen Mr. Stone, what the

Amen Mr. Stone, what the democrats have been doing to this country since Pelosi and her ilk took to prominence is downright treason.

Goat project looking good

In just more than a week since nine goats were assigned to eat overgrown vegetation at an Augusta detention pond, officials and area residents are already noticing a difference.