Investigate these topics

Please do some type of reporting on these issues:

• What is with the cameras at many intersections across Columbia County? Too many motorists run red lights. Turn the cameras on and make big money for the county. I rarely drive in Richmond County.

• Please cover the trend of grunge fashion and the on-purpose cuts and slashes on the fronts of pants legs. You can buy them this way in catalogs. We ate at Hibachi Grill on West Wheeler Parkway and a female, 25-ish, wore jeans with an on-purpose huge cut from her knees upwards. Absolutely disgusting.

• Drive around neighborhoods to see the in-the-front-yard piles of junk and trash, and unkempt yards. As a nation, we once had pride in our yards, and now for too many, sloth and pure laziness have set in.

No wonder we have been downgraded by other nations across the world and many of our citizens couldn’t care less. I lived in Europe from 1987 to 1990, and all towns were clean and tidy. I remember ladies in the Netherlands washing the windows inside and out of public phone booths, and in Germany, they were sweeping their streets and alleys. We are a disgrace, and I am embarrassed and truly can’t believe what I see when driving here and there.

• Tattooing is out of control. Please do an article about the blood test for one of the hepatitis strains for “bad ink.” Big money goes for these tattoos. No wonder many kids aren’t eating properly at home – the adults are spending the money on other things.

Diane Forrester

Martinez

burninater
burninater 10/15/12 - 02:01 am
Ms. Forrester, I'm sure that

Ms. Forrester, I'm sure that during your time in Europe you noticed that they don't share our neurotic obsession with large, artificially- maintained lawns. If more unkempt yards means less mindless watering of yards during droughts, less fertilizer runoff destroying our rivers and estuaries, and less pesticides working their way up our food chains, then let's have them!

For those proud of a well-kept yard, xeriscaping is a great alternative that achieves the same goals.

As far as your take on fashion, it was not the jeans, but your response to them, that was upsetting to you. The jeans were on the other side of the room minding their own business, I'm sure.

KSL
KSL 10/15/12 - 03:51 am
Jeez, burn just because I

Jeez, burn just because I have a big yard, it doesn't mean I am poisoning the earth. I am way overdue for my share of poison. It will flow downhill from my house to Sand River, where it eventually will wind up in Horse Creek, then the Savannah River.

Know much about the cleansing power of nature?

KSL
KSL 10/15/12 - 03:55 am
Please

Do something about a letter writer who perceives herself as a self inposed "police officer."

burninater
burninater 10/15/12 - 04:00 am
KSL, if fertilizers and

KSL, if fertilizers and pesticides just vanished into the ether as soon as they left our lawns, then I'd permanently shut my lips on the matter. But alas, they don't.

And if it were just your lawn, it really wouldn't be a problem. But multiply your lawn by a few tens of millions, and guess what? It's a problem.

That's the hardest thing about finding solutions to the ecological problems we're facing, and that are only getting worse. It's not what you or me or him or her is doing, it's what you AND me AND him AND her are doing. It's collective behaviors that are the problem.

But the instant you mention collective anything, certain powers that be scream "socialist!"

And did you ever notice, the ones screaming it the loudest are the ones who are selling the very things that are the collective problems?

KSL
KSL 10/15/12 - 04:03 am
Burn, we don't have tens of

Burn, we don't have tens of millions of people in Aiken Co.

KSL
KSL 10/15/12 - 04:05 am
And, no. I have not noticed.

And, no. I have not noticed.

KSL
KSL 10/15/12 - 04:08 am
Bet those corn growers

Bet those corn growers (ethanol producers) are using a heck of a lot.

KSL
KSL 10/15/12 - 04:12 am
Obama's mantra

Turn green into gone!

swcohen
swcohen 10/15/12 - 04:27 am
The letter writer evidently

The letter writer evidently doesn't have enough on her mind, she has to go looking for problems to solve. Please find a hobby.

And the slashed jeans thing? So very 1992, that. An example of Augusta's fashion time-warp. Rest assured that you won't see those outside of our little bubble.

KSL
KSL 10/15/12 - 04:33 am
Giving you a thumbs up on

Giving you a thumbs up on that post!

KSL
KSL 10/15/12 - 04:42 am
Burn, the sea in the Gulf

Burn, the sea in the Gulf cleaned up the BP oil release quicker than our president did. He turned down state of the art clean up capabilities from another country. I guess that traitor didn't want. "to waste an opportunity."

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/15/12 - 05:58 am
"Get off my lawn you

"Get off my lawn you tattooed, pants torn, communist pervert."

TParty
TParty 10/15/12 - 06:00 am
Hello Rants and lack of

Hello Rants and lack of raves. Nice to see you in the opinion section.

Techfan
Techfan 10/15/12 - 06:20 am
I wonder if Diane followed

I wonder if Diane followed the European custom of lack of shaving by women?

TParty
TParty 10/15/12 - 06:25 am
AND SOCIALISM!!!

AND SOCIALISM!!!

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/15/12 - 06:30 am
Eww, Techfan, that thought is

Eww, Techfan, that thought is not a pretty picture.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/15/12 - 06:31 am
The woman has a point

Too many bottoms showing in public.....nasty stuff..

Techfan
Techfan 10/15/12 - 07:03 am
That depends on the size and

That depends on the size and shape of the bottom.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/15/12 - 07:28 am
she said...

In my day the parents MADE the kiddies get outside & clean the yards.....we didn't keep our head stuck in a computer or a game of some sort...WE CLEANED....sooo what changed....
i remember raking chinaberry trees....leaves///trash ...cutting grass....

Techfan
Techfan 10/15/12 - 07:50 am
Churning butter, bringing

Churning butter, bringing water from the well, making candles, milking the cow, hooking the horse to the wagon,...

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 10/15/12 - 09:04 am
Investigate

people that want other people investigated by other people.
(insert a wink & a smile)

As far as Tattoos - I always thought, less people would get a large exposed tat, if they stopped and though about what they and it will look like in 30 years with 50 to 100 lbs added. Or the social limits it places on people seeking better paying jobs in upper management positions.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/15/12 - 09:19 am
Ya funny techfan...

Making butter===yep granmom did
Water from well---know some with wells
outhouse---had kin on Morgan rd they had a 2 seater
hanging light bulb--granmom had one like that
smoke house--granmom hung meat there
icebox--aunt had man deliver blocks of ice

Guess what we didn't have...
kids taking guns to school
pants hanging down their backends
kids killing other kids every week
back talking younguns
kids spitting & punching teachers
breakins galore
over crowded jails
on & on ..but you see what I'm talking about....give me the ole days at least we had control of the kids.

galaxygrl
galaxygrl 10/15/12 - 10:36 am
Join Reality

Seems that the writer is stuck in a time warp somewhere or has a very narrow view of the world. Maybe she just woke up from a long nap. I'd be happy if I didn't have to see young men's backsides because their pants are too low(and big). Tatooing is this generations deal, not for me, see lots of future issues but it's not my body. I think about when they have children will the children wonder why their parents have all those colors abd they don't. It takes a couple of years to explain that to a newborn or toddler. Guess Diane isn't big on tolerance.

dichotomy
dichotomy 10/15/12 - 11:12 am
Deleted by commenter. I think

Deleted by commenter. I think the post I was responding to was deleted while I was writing.

F4therTime
F4therTime 10/15/12 - 11:25 am
I love my

Tattoos. You don't have to. That's the beauty of this whole freedom of choice thing...

twolane
twolane 10/15/12 - 01:14 pm
lived in europe....NOT

first of all many europeans have a very open work schedule...nearly non existent......sex for sale on ever corner in the red light districts .....fashion...yeah have you seen some of these well kept europeans....great healthcare....NOT..... definitely no dental......methinks you exagerrate a vacation for living there......because europe was a pretty nasty place when i was there

Tullie
Tullie 10/15/12 - 02:14 pm
Ms. Forrester

is kinda irked by superficial things that are none of her business.

She is not the fashion police of the CSRA..to my knowledge. Who cares what people wear? Well, as long as their privates are covered up.

Maybe she should stop on one of those drives and ask if those people need help with cleaning up their yard instead of judging them..some days it is all I can do to make myself get out of bed, I hurt so much.

And "bad ink" I always thought that is was the cross-contamination from lack of cleanliness that caused problems with tatoos..an operator thing, not an ink problem.

And lemesee..they have the cameras turned off?..Great!!!

burninater
burninater 10/15/12 - 02:30 pm
Burn, the sea in the Gulf

-------
? There are still tar balls washing up on beaches from the BP spill. A conservative estimate is tht 60% of the spilled oil is still unaccounted for.

Pollutants don't just magically vanish. People who study and measure industrial and agricultural chemicals in the environment agree we have some major problems resulting from their accumulation and biological concentration. Scientific observation and measurement is not a political agenda, although the refusal to acknowledge that work increasingly appears to be.

KSL
KSL 10/15/12 - 03:49 pm
Burn

Get over it.

I was in the 3rd grade in the 50''s. My dad was still in the Navy Reserves after WW2. He had to do his 2 weeks of active duty at Norfolk. He rented a house at Virginia Beach. Tar balls were washing in and every time I and my siblings went in the into the water, we came out with black tar on us.

Guess what the product of choice to get it off of us was! Carbon Tet, before it was taken off the market. Right out of the bottle, full strength. All 3 of us are alive, kicking, and cancer free.

KSL
KSL 10/15/12 - 03:22 pm
Side note

As a third grader in the 50's, I did not understand why my father suddenly had to buy maid's uniforms for our caretaker/housekeeper.

Not needed in my hometown.