Investigate these topics

Please do some type of reporting on these issues:

• What is with the cameras at many intersections across Columbia County? Too many motorists run red lights. Turn the cameras on and make big money for the county. I rarely drive in Richmond County.

• Please cover the trend of grunge fashion and the on-purpose cuts and slashes on the fronts of pants legs. You can buy them this way in catalogs. We ate at Hibachi Grill on West Wheeler Parkway and a female, 25-ish, wore jeans with an on-purpose huge cut from her knees upwards. Absolutely disgusting.

• Drive around neighborhoods to see the in-the-front-yard piles of junk and trash, and unkempt yards. As a nation, we once had pride in our yards, and now for too many, sloth and pure laziness have set in.

No wonder we have been downgraded by other nations across the world and many of our citizens couldn’t care less. I lived in Europe from 1987 to 1990, and all towns were clean and tidy. I remember ladies in the Netherlands washing the windows inside and out of public phone booths, and in Germany, they were sweeping their streets and alleys. We are a disgrace, and I am embarrassed and truly can’t believe what I see when driving here and there.

• Tattooing is out of control. Please do an article about the blood test for one of the hepatitis strains for “bad ink.” Big money goes for these tattoos. No wonder many kids aren’t eating properly at home – the adults are spending the money on other things.

Diane Forrester

Martinez

burninater
burninater 10/15/12 - 04:02 pm
KSL, I'd rather help do

KSL, I'd rather help do something about it than just ignore it and tell people to get over it. It's pretty easy to tell someone on a comment board to get over it, I wonder if you'd have the chutzpah to say that to someone personally who has lost friends or family to cancer related to exposure to environmental toxins. And if you can, fine, that's your choice and that's your level of compassion. I am thankful that I am not alone amongst the population in thinking that mindless contamination of our surroundings is something that we shouldn't treat flippantly, and that it's not just the well-being of ourselves and our immediate family that matters.

KSL
KSL 10/15/12 - 07:34 pm
You don't know enough about me

To accuse me of mindless contamination of the environment. That was a low blow that should be reported, burn.

I find myself feeling like I should apologize to you for having good genes. Are you owed an apology that all of my grandparents, born in the late 1800's lived until their late 80's? My maternal grandmother was a week shy of 97. She died in the hospital of congestive heart failure. It was the first time she had ever been in a hospital.

Bizkit
Bizkit 10/15/12 - 08:37 pm
Tar balls have been rolling

Tar balls have been rolling up on the beaches long before there were ever oil rigs. Oil naturally gushes up from the ocean floor at times. Oil eating bacteria will eventually eat up the oil-you can't beat nature and evolution. While antibiotics were a great discovery it could have easily been predicted that because of evolution and an arms race of bacteria to outwit antibiotics that bacteria would eventually win-just like herbicide resistant weeds have just about made the Roundup resistant crops useless. Anyways the lady obvioiusly hates freedom and has a bad case of mindblindness.

madgerman
madgerman 10/15/12 - 09:15 pm
Just a few more tidbits about

Just a few more tidbits about living in stupid old germany:
1. Not only do you have to sweep the street and sidewalk, you also have to keep the sidewalk ice free in winter, salt is forbidden - if you don't and someone slips and injuries themselves, your fault.
2. If you keep me up with loud noise at night and I can't go to work next day - you are responsible for lost wages.
3. If you car has damage from an accident - you must get it repaired immediately.
4. If you have a pit bull you will need about a million dollar liability insurance policy. If you rent and have small kids you should have a quarter million in liability coverage also.
5. If you have a slick tire on your car the police will not only fine you 100 dollars per tire, they will escort you to the next tire store for replacement.
6. If you are sick you can go to any doctor in town at no cost and no waiting.
7. You can give all you want to the church, but only one percent is tax deductible and it is taken out of your pay. Don't want to contribute, then don't expect a chusch wedding or funeral.
8. Never saw a homeless person in over 12 yeaqrs of living there but I am sure there must be some somewhere. Did see lots of street musicians and artists, however.

And on and on. Aren't they stupid with their arcane laws.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 10/15/12 - 09:23 pm
This bullet point really

This bullet point really struck me as humorous..."What is with the cameras at many intersections across Columbia County? Too many motorists run red lights. Turn the cameras on and make big money for the county. I rarely drive in Richmond County."

Is this a condemnation of the LTE writers driving skills? Is she warning CC authorities to be on the lookout for her as she rarely drives in RC?

burninater
burninater 10/15/12 - 09:49 pm
You don't know enough about

You don't know enough about me to accuse me of mindless contamination of the environment. That was a low blow that should be reported, burn.
-----------
KSL, when something is said like carbon tet being used haphazardly is fine because oneself or one's family didn't get personally ill, or that pesticides and fertilizers used solely for a vanity like a lawn is no concern because it all just ends up in the river, I wouldn't describe it as mindful.

And Biz, a defense that bacteria will eventually eat all the oil? There are natural seeps? Come on now, you've got scientific literacy, you understand the importance of relative rates. Will all that bacteria-eating happen after or before keystone species in estuarine environments are wiped out? Are ecosystems adapted to handle slow-rate natural seeps going to be just fine when it is a massive blow-out expelling oil in volumes and at rates that are thousands of times greater than these natural seeps? How can one honestly compare the impact of a natural seep and a blow-out of a high-pressure, artificially breached reservoir?

KSL
KSL 10/15/12 - 10:43 pm
Burn

What and where did you get a degree in/ from to give you the right to be so condescending?

KSL
KSL 10/15/12 - 11:02 pm
Durn, Burn,

You make me want to empty my entire stash of fertilizers and weed killers on my lawn so they can wash down the hill to Hitchcock Woods and eventually wind up in Horse Creek, poisoning miles along the way to the Savannah River.

Bizkit
Bizkit 10/15/12 - 11:03 pm
Well I was just commenting on

Well I was just commenting on tar balls not your other arguments. The massive blow out is problematic-and apparently they've found huge sediments of it too. Likely this will turnover at some point and resuspend. I think the amount of oil released is a good point. But my hopes is nature will win, but that isn't always the case. But man has being doin' this for centuries-Mammoths are believed to be driven to extinction by man, DoDo birds, passenger pigeons, etc. etc.etc.etc.etc
It seems to be the nature of our interaction is often to destroy or muck things up. I often think things are thought up and done just because it's possible rather than any measure of implications and outcomes. Oil rings, nuclear power, coal plants, wind power, solar power, etc all have their caveats.

KSL
KSL 10/15/12 - 11:33 pm
Extensive interview with my

Extensive interview with my husband' childhood friend doing a radiation therapthy residency at MCG after paying back the Navy for general let me know genetics are hugely involved. For you MCG folks, this very probing and personal interview was at Squeakies' I don't know how to spell it.

KSL
KSL 10/15/12 - 11:36 pm
Do respect and love my Biz.

Do respect and love my Biz.

burninater
burninater 10/16/12 - 12:07 am
Biz, I coudn't agree more

Biz, I coudn't agree more with your last post, especially "I often think things are thought up and done just because it's possible rather than any measure of implications and outcomes".

What's especially frustrating for me is when we DO understand the consequences, but continue to bury our heads in the sand. I understand the motivations -- on the demand side, most people don't want to face the knowledge that we're trading personal convenience for the health and well-being of our grandchildren, and on the supply side, increasing shareholder value is the primary ethical good.

The best answer is to put the economic cost of waste and pollution into the cost of the product or service itself, rather than let producers and consumers just dump production-process and end-product wastes into our air and waterways and make the people downstream bear the brunt of these costs. If the true losses produced by waste and pollution were borne by the consumer, then market forces would drive innovation towards cleaner and more efficient technologies, as those would be truly less expensive. Instead, these pollution costs are socialized -- everyone is forced to pay the cost, instead of the producer and the direct consumer. As long as this is the case, and producers can externalize the real costs of their products, we're going to continue on our downward spiral of mindless waste and pollution in the service of maximizing shareholder value above all other considerations -- including the health and well-being of those who come after us.

burninater
burninater 10/16/12 - 01:21 am
KSL, the fact that there is a

KSL, the fact that there is a genetic component to individual response to toxins doesn't make us suddenly less culpable for willfully distributing them into our environment. If that were the case, then we should be able to pour into the environment willy-nilly any chemicals that cause prostate cancer, or breast cancer, or uterine cancer, or ovarian cancer, or testicular cancer, because every one of those cancers has an extremely strong genetic component to them. My partner's superior genes give her about a 100% chance of never suffering from testicular cancer, while my superior genes make my chances of getting ovarian cancer equally non-existent.