Neither man won debate

What are the criteria for deciding the winner of a debate? The debate I watched last night looked more like two men trying their best not to say something stupid.

As I watched President Obama speak, it was painful to look at Mitt Romney’s face, which seemed to be frozen into a goofy grin. When Romney spoke, Obama looked like he was trying to decide what he was going to have for dinner afterward.

It brings me to a point of listening vs. looking. During the Richard Nixon/John F. Kennedy presidential debates in 1960, those who listened by radio thought Nixon won, while those who watched them on television thought Kennedy won. This just goes to show how our perception can be skewed when we add outside influences such as body language and looks. Just the way a candidate’s mouth moves during speech can influence whether we think his answer is a good one.

I still don’t understand how Romney got the nod as the winner. I thought they both talked a lot but neither of them said much. In fact it was one of the most forgettable debates I’ve ever seen. During the next debate, I shall only listen and see who I think does the better job.

One thing is for sure: One of them needs to start explaining his position instead of tiptoeing around all the same themes without actually saying anything. I get the impression it’s like a prizefight in which both contenders have only one goal, and that is to be standing when the final bell rings.

John Glover

Augusta

Comments (51)

faithson
faithson 10/08/12 - 11:10 am

Car

u do understand that there are points on both sides, your 10:08 post being a good example of problems with over regulation. What you must understand though is in 'totality' the republican party is a party of the past, a party that has been co-opted by the fundamentalist right and their ilk. For sure the same can be said of the democratic party, but given a choice, which is what this election is about, I prefer science and academia in decision making over the hard core superstitious and magical thinking so many in positions of power in the republican party espouse..

faithson
faithson 10/08/12 - 11:26 am

angie

the point of being entertained by the satire of shows like SNL, Steward and Colbert is the fact that in so many cases the truth is told in jest. One thing I have not seen at all in republican circles is the ability to laugh at ones self, an attribute that relieves the stress of taking everything so seriously. Sure these are serious matters, but if one cannot laugh at Rep Broun's comments, one is way to serious. " “God’s word is true. I’ve come to understand that. All that stuff I was taught about evolution, embryology, Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell. It’s lies to try to keep me and all the folks who are taught that from understanding that they need a savior. There’s a lot of scientific data that I found out as a scientist that actually show that this is really a young Earth. I believe that the Earth is about 9,000 years old. I believe that it was created in six days as we know them."...... gotta love this guy representing GA-10th, sounds like an Iranian mullah to a lot of us !!!

Angie H
Angie H 10/08/12 - 11:32 am

So, no explaination on how I

So, no explaination on how I owe someone for my hard work and accomplishments? Just making fun of a guy for stating what he believes, and throwing out buzzwords like "ilk."

carcraft
20685
carcraft 10/08/12 - 11:48 am

Faithson- What are you

Faithson- What are you talking about? Are you talking about the lady saying Obama as gonna pay her bills with Obama's stash? Is that the academia and science decision making you are talking about? What about the Obama phones, is she an intellectual prize winner? What about Snoop Dogg and his poem “ wake the F--k up”. There is an appeal to the intellect! Give me a break. The problem for me is very simple. The national debt was 6 trillion dollars when Bush took office. When Bush left office it was 10 trillion dollars. Now it is 16 trillion dollars. Government has grown and regulations have increased, and often not for the best. Home Depot has created over 1,000 millionaires. The founders of home depot say they could not do it today. America ranks 18 th in economic freedom. Now explain to me why we don't end up like Spain and Greece? Explain to me how we grow the economy when people lack the freedom to innovate? Explain to me why people want to work and innovate if they look around and their sweat and endeavor is paying for a million Obama phones in Ohio? You are painting with to broad a brush. If Romney's web site is any indication of Obama's science and academic scholars level of achievement then I would gladly choose the illiterate Republicans any day. a lot of these people can't express one cogent thought without vulgarity, you know sorta like Snoop Dogg!

Bizkit
21955
Bizkit 10/08/12 - 11:42 am

Broun is playing upto an

Broun is playing upto an interest group-fundamentalist christians. As christians go most believe in evolution, except fundamentalist evangelicals. Still over half of all Americans question evolution so it isn't really associated with religion (because the majority of christians are catholic not protestant and most protestant accept evolution except fundamentalist) but the "gut" feeling phenomena-as most are skeptical. Sad really because evolution is fundamental to understanding any biology. So the lack of belief in evolution is an American problem not a political party problem.

carcraft
20685
carcraft 10/08/12 - 11:46 am

I am amazed by the continued

I am amazed by the continued ignorance of Obama supporters. Yesterday I listened to O'Malley on Fox News,( O'Malley is Senator) talking about the budget deficit. This moron thought that Bush had ran up 10 trillion in debt and denied the FACT that the National Debt has increase more during the Obama administration than any other President. Is this the type of intellect you are looking at? What about the Democratic Senator who thinks Guam may tip over? What about the Democrat who wanted to send the Mars Rover over to check out the Lunar base?

faithson
faithson 10/08/12 - 12:21 pm

Car

give me/us a reasoned candidate with the backbone to tell us what we are up against (Sen Colburn comes to mind) and you might have a point. Just to much baggage with repub's and their 'flip flop' candidate mittens. Two bad choices for sure... my vote is for the lesser of two evils, using an outcome based decision not a fear mongering 'faux news' diatribe. The republican party (vis a vie, newt '90's) have compromised any semblance of moderation in decision making, any sense of dialogue about answers. I don't trust ANYONE or any party who has ALL the answers.

justthefacts
justthefacts 10/08/12 - 12:27 pm

Funny

"give me/us a reasoned candidate with the backbone to tell us what we are up against (Sen Colburn comes to mind) and you might have a point" Romney did that just the other night on SS and medicare. Evidently you don't really want to hear it because the next day you accused him of "gutting" SS. Of course, without merit.

faithson
faithson 10/08/12 - 12:30 pm

aultrism

owensjef3
owensjef3 10/08/12 - 12:33 pm

Southern2 got 9 thumbs up for

Southern2 got 9 thumbs up for that hateful statement. Wow

faithson
faithson 10/08/12 - 12:52 pm

jts

my point... mittens changes with the wind. The guy has to appeal to so many, he can not find himself. He is a politician, and poor one at that. Pray tell how a 20% reduction in tax revenue is good economic policy ? 20 million NEW jobs... yea right, and pigs can fly ! gutting the social net and increasing military spending, the morality in that goes without saying. allowing 'profit' to trump environmental consciousness, again morally reprehensible. Some of us believe that today's decisions should include a sense of priority for the children of tomorrow, and some are so self indulgent that they only look at the short term... and yes, the deficit is a perfect case in point.

justthefacts
justthefacts 10/08/12 - 12:43 pm

I beg to differ

You said he was going to gut SS. Your words, not mine. What is Obama's plan? You said you want someone with the backbone to tell you.

Angie H
Angie H 10/08/12 - 01:01 pm

faithson. You spelled Mitt

faithson. You spelled Mitt wrong.

Flip flop candidate? You mean like changing stance on gay marriage, or taxing during a recession? Is that the flip flop you mean?

Angie H
Angie H 10/08/12 - 01:03 pm

"Angie, altruism vs.

"Angie, altruism vs. self-interest, the tide raises all boats vs. who's got the biggest boat. Keep it all for yourself if you must, just set aside some for that gated community you will need to live in to 'enjoy' it !"

I see....no answer...just socialist slogans.

Angie H
Angie H 10/08/12 - 01:04 pm

owensfef...what was hateful

owensfef...what was hateful about speaking the truth?

Angie H
Angie H 10/08/12 - 01:34 pm

"Keep it all for yourself if

"Keep it all for yourself if you must, just set aside some for that gated community you will need to live in to 'enjoy' it !"

Don't you love the threatening nature of socialists?

allhans
21956
allhans 10/08/12 - 01:53 pm

More than one Democrat has

More than one Democrat has admitted that the $5 million dollar tax cut is an assumption on their part. Then because Romney doesn't agree with their assumptions, he is a liar.

allhans
21956
allhans 10/08/12 - 01:57 pm

The accusation "Romney is a

The accusation "Romney is a liar" will have serious repercussions that Democrats will not like. Over 80 millions viewers are said to have watched the debate..so the American people know what happened.
It's not like it happened in a dark hole.
When they make up stuff they should at least make it believable.

Angie H
Angie H 10/08/12 - 02:46 pm

Techfan.....did you leave? I

Techfan.....did you leave? I assume that if you said Romney lied, that you must have heard a lie he told that you could share with us.

Maybe it wasn't Romney who was lying? :-)

owensjef3
owensjef3 10/08/12 - 03:31 pm

Thats the truth .you may

Thats the truth .you may diagree with policy that type of statement from S2 is just silly. @AngieH

carcraft
20685
carcraft 10/08/12 - 03:45 pm

Faithson- Romney has given

Faithson- Romney has given millions to Charity and the stories of Romney's charity are considerable. I asked a while back for one story where Obama personally intervened to make some one’s life better. To this date no one has come up with one story. So I ask you who has given more to help float all boats? Of course so many Democrats and Obama both are very generous with other people’s money! Giving at the point of the IRS is not generosity!

carcraft
20685
carcraft 10/08/12 - 03:53 pm

Faithson Ryan sood up to work

Faithson Ryan sood up to work on medicare and the Democrats portrayed him as shoving granda ma, litterally, over cliff. Did you write letters and support Rayan?

faithson
faithson 10/08/12 - 04:32 pm

to bad so sad...

'what was hateful about speaking the truth?' Name calling is the last bastion of a puerile philosophy.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 10/08/12 - 04:38 pm

"Then Bush I and read my lips

which he renigged (sic) on a number of issues. It's politics. Get a clue."

Not the only one needing a clue I'd say; Bush 41 did foolishly promise no new taxes. He made a deal with the Democratic Congress that in return for lowering spending levels on some programs he would sign off on raising selected taxes. Congress sent him a package with the increases which he signed as part of the deal, then the Democrats never acted on the promised cuts. Democrats reneged. To make matters worse, these same Democrats ran against Bush on the platform HE raised taxes.

faithson
faithson 10/08/12 - 04:37 pm

car

I know a few very wealthy individuals that are very generous and 'go about doing good things', but wouldn't want them representing my politics. To much money inculcates to many to the social condition of the 'people'.

Bizkit
21955
Bizkit 10/08/12 - 05:32 pm

There's a difference between

There's a difference between cooperation-all parties coming to the table in agreement for a purpose, and taking from one group to give to another which is really stealing. Altruism has to come from the heart. In biological populations which exhibit these type behaviors there is still competition with other populations. Humans aren't very good at cooperativity and altruism-likely why religions evolved. It may work for awhile but nature being what it is. Look at America-very divided with little cooperativity or even compromise. Then bring in global competition-yikes. Government(s) aren't the answer-more the problem.

carcraft
20685
carcraft 10/08/12 - 06:52 pm

Faithson Romney earned his

Faithson Romney earned his money. I also know Romney worked as governor and ran the Olympics with out a salary . Romney had opportunities to get even more wealth but instead has given his time to service . Have you seen any such indication in Obama? It seems to me Obama has been bent toward power and wants that power to "fundamentally change America "!

carcraft
20685
carcraft 10/08/12 - 07:50 pm

More proof Romney told the

More proof Romney told the truth when he said Obama picked losers http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/10/08/lg-plant-that-got-150m-to-make-volt...

Angie H
Angie H 10/09/12 - 07:09 am

faithson says "Name calling

faithson says "Name calling is the last bastion of a puerile philosophy."

Interesting statement from the very same person who calls Mitt Romney names all the time. (ie Mittens)