Leaders command respect

I am a 52-year-old Republican who, as of this fall, will have voted in nine presidential elections. My chosen candidate has not always become president, but during my lifetime the elected leadership has governed our great nation with respect and dignity.

This was true until 2008. In the past three-plus years I have been frustrated with the lack of leadership from our elected officials. We are not a nation of “us” and “them.” We are the United States of America. Instead of building consensus around clearly communicated and developed plans for reforming health care and immigration, the federal government ends up in lawsuits trying to defend its actions. International relations seem to be in a state of flux. Media bias and fiscal neglect begins to numb the nation into no longer believing our problems can be solved. This is not the case!

We have some of the greatest minds in the world and we can formulate solutions to our fiscal issues that, when clearly defined and communicated to the public in a dignified manner, will be supported. The American people will embrace this change if they believe in their leaders and their ability to execute the plan.

One common trait among successful leaders is that they must be respected. This respect must be earned. Our government leaders need to command this respect both from their constituents and the international community. We cannot mistake popularity with respect. They are not the same thing. Talk show appearances and photo ops with celebrities do not build the respect of a nation. Drawing lines in the sand that cannot be crossed is a good ploy in kindergarten, but not a productive tactic in governing the greatest nation in the world.

We are facing a difficult choice in November. We will steer the course of this nation over the next four or eight years. Make sure your vote supports those candidates who truly command your respect and can make a positive difference in the future of our great nation!

Tom Thirkell

North Augusta, S.C.

Jane18
Jane18 10/08/12 - 05:55 am
Mr.Thirkell's Letter

If only people would do as your last sentence says....People have got to stop thinking about what is best for them, but, what is best for America. When America is where she should be, then we can once again, be where we should be. I was talking to someone very close to me about a month ago, and he let me know that he intended to vote democrat. I asked why, and was told real quick that "he had to do what was best for him". He, and his partner have been completely dependent on the government since the middle 90"s. I am all for anyone receiving help when they need it, but, NOT FOREVER!! I would e-mail Mr.Thirkell's letter to him, but it would be a waste of time.........

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 10/08/12 - 07:23 am
Leaders need to Lead

Respect is earned not demanded.

I am to the point where I would vote for a mandate that all Politicians must pass a USA Constitution & Republic-Democracy Leadership Test before being allowed to even register for election.

soapy_725
soapy_725 10/08/12 - 07:31 am
How about if all public servants had to pass

the New Testament definition of a "church deacon". Now that would thin the herd. And we could call it something non religious and PC or practical. The Good Servant Rule?

Husband of one wife. Financial provider for his family. Manages his own business. Honest and Ethical in all dealings.

soapy_725
soapy_725 10/08/12 - 07:35 am
Mr Thirkell has wisdom.

We fear though that he may be from another world. Look around you sir, your words are falling on deaf ears. Willfully deaf. Fingers in the ears I won't listen deaf.

A society who has lost its moral compass in the swamp of self gratification.

scoobynews
scoobynews 10/08/12 - 12:39 pm
Face the facts most people

Face the facts most people will vote based on two things:
1. Race
2. The myth that the Democratic Party is for the "poor"

How "poor" is President Obama and the rest of the democratic party? I do wish people would educated themselves instead of voting based on race and myths. I can see now why China only let's a certain portion of it's people vote. Many people are too ignorant to vote and our country showed that 4 years ago. I can't respect a president who feels it was more important to be on the David Letterman show than meet with world leaders.

bubbasauce
bubbasauce 10/08/12 - 10:57 am
Thumbs up for all three

Thumbs up for all three posts. Hit them with the facts and the truth. There's an old saying, the truth will set you free!

dichotomy
dichotomy 10/08/12 - 12:15 pm
" I am all for anyone

" I am all for anyone receiving help when they need it, but, NOT FOREVER!! "

Exactly. For many our "safety net" has become a cozy cottage in la-la-land. Why work when there are so many fools out there that actually think they are helping the needy when they are really just facilitating the lazy.

burninater
burninater 10/08/12 - 12:19 pm
The myth that the Democratic

The myth that the Democratic Party is for the "poor"
-----------
I'll second that myth.

The majority of Red States are poorer than Blue States, and are net recipents of federal tax dollars (they get more than they give). The thing about the truth setting you free, bubbasauce, is that you've gotta recognize the truth first.

omnomnom
omnomnom 10/08/12 - 12:32 pm
I interpreted Tom Thirkell's

I interpreted Tom Thirkell's letter to mean that I should vote for Gary Johnson.

I can get behind that.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 10/08/12 - 01:11 pm
omnomnom

(kind of hard to type!)
Who is Gary Johnson??? Maybe we should all vote for him. Do you know more about him?

Angie H
Angie H 10/08/12 - 01:43 pm
That's the problem...no one

That's the problem...no one has heard of him, so to vote for him is to vote for a guarenteed loser.

justthefacts
justthefacts 10/08/12 - 02:07 pm
Make sense

Obviously the Red states recieve more. There are more military bases, national parks, etc. Also, you don't see many people retiring to New Jersey

omnomnom
omnomnom 10/08/12 - 02:12 pm
trulyworried

Gary Johnson is the libertarian candidate on the ballot for Georgia.

Angie H, I am voting my conscience. I am voting for the man who I see based on past actions and platform truly represents a change in the way things are done in Washington D.C.

I am voting for a change in the way issues and problems in America are thought of and handled. There endless viewpoints and conclusions and America is presented with two.

The Republicans and Democrats (and the media which serves both so well) have a stranglehold on popular discourse.

Thanks to the internet, that is changing. Slowly.

If Gary Johnson loses, I will still be proud of my vote and not question myself or have regrets.

I will not be voting for a promise of "keeping the more evil one out".

I will not be voting to "restore America" to the same republican hands which brought about policies that pose more danger to our freedoms than terrorists ever could (under the guise of fighting terrorism)

I was going to write in Ron Paul, but Georgia's sore loser law would really make my vote not count.

Angie H
Angie H 10/08/12 - 02:22 pm
You are welcome to vote your

You are welcome to vote your consience... I just don't think my consience could bear casting a vote that helped Obama win.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/08/12 - 02:31 pm
Compromise

Well, here would be an acceptable strategy — have the Libertarians in safely red states vote for Johnson. But in the battleground states (Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Iowa, Colorado, Nevada), have the Libertarians vote for Romney.

justthefacts
justthefacts 10/08/12 - 03:12 pm
Mr Johnson

He also supports the Fair Tax. Got to like that.

burninater
burninater 10/08/12 - 03:25 pm
Obviously the Red states

-------
No, what would make sense in a non-welfare distribution of tax income would be to put military bases in the states where the tax revenues are coming from.

Instead, we've got entire regions whose economies rely in large part on the redistribution of tax dollars from Blue States to Red States.

Now, that's not necessarily a bad thing. You don't hear a lot of the Blue Staters moaning about it. They understand that we are a nation. But to hear Red Staters on the dole moan about "socialist wealth redistribution"?

Come on, get real.

Or better yet, get honest.

justthefacts
justthefacts 10/08/12 - 05:17 pm
Huh

Why do you say "No"? It's a fact. Should it be that way? Maybe not. Maybe the blue states didn't want the military bases. A great majority of it is SS and medicare. Of which there are a great number of older folks in the red states. Of course, the best deal is Washington DC. $83K of Federal bucks per resident. Too bad they are not a state, that would really even things up.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 10/08/12 - 08:28 pm
Respect

Thank you, Mr. Thirkell, for what I believe is an honest and heartfelt expression of your views on the current political climate. I am sorry that one poster here decided to "disrespect" an entire electorate by calling them “ignorant”.

Just today Gov. Romney gave a major speech about the role of the US in world peace. Whether I agree with him or not is for another discussion. But one thing is for sure, we cannot hold the morale authority to spread democracy when people such as “Scoobynews” believe that some Americans do not deserve the right to vote. Forget about policing the rest of the world. We need the world to rescue our citizens from those such as “Scooby” who would deny others the right to vote because they do not think them worthy.
If you believe that people voted for President Obama because of his race, then I guess that means those who did not vote for him did so based on race. Think about that!

Oh, by the way, ask former congressman Artur Davis of Alabama if he got votes just because of his race. Or Alan Keyes, or Jesse Jackson, or Al Sharpton. All have run for national office and lost. None of them carried a majority of the votes of their race.