New ID law is a headache

After observing firsthand my mother’s failed attempt to renew her driver’s license under Georgia’s new “real ID” statute, I want to share an outsider’s impression of the runaround she received.

Because the name on her 84-year-old birth certificate did not match her married name, the same name on her current license, her Social Security card, her Medicare card, my father’s death certificate, her property tax bill, her federal and state tax returns and her bank account, officials insisted that she must produce her 1948 marriage certificate to prove who she was under the new “real ID” requirements. A handy printout of the vital statistics offices of all the various states and the cost to obtain a “certified” marriage document was cheerfully provided, and she was told she could come back and wait in line again after she had the marriage certificate.

While clearly not required by the Georgia Department of Driver Services’ own printed explanation of the new requirements – they allow any of the documents she presented as sufficient name change proof “if a marriage certificate is not available” – the front-end staff demand it. Unlike most women who took their husbands’ names, my mother drives just about as often as she votes, but they all need drivers’ licenses to do both.

Whether simple ignorance or subtle policy is the motivation, the new “name change” requirements most certainly amount to a poll tax for women as misinterpreted by the staff at the Thomson DDS office.

Oh, by the way, don’t bother trying to call the state DDS administration office to complain. I couldn’t get through.

Angie H
Angie H 10/02/12 - 11:41 am
True....if a legit voter is

True....if a legit voter is having a hard time getting an ID...imagine how hard it is to get one if you are dead or not a citizen.

TParty
TParty 10/02/12 - 12:07 pm
I walk in and buy a weapons

Gary Ross
Gary Ross 10/02/12 - 12:18 pm
Solution

Instead of using driver's licenses as the form of ID to vote, why not make a voter license? That way the feds can demand all the proof of citizenship they need, the driver's license will be about driving, and the liberals won't blame republicans for everything that obama is doing wrong. We could also get back to a popular vote instead of electoral, which is blatently biased because everyone knows that McCain actually won the election in 2008.

TParty
TParty 10/02/12 - 12:20 pm
No one is fighting for

No one is fighting for democrats only to have easy access to voting. People are fighting to have Americans to have easy access to voting.

This is like when the TSA first started. The right was all about giving up freedoms, because of scary Muslims. Now- only old people and children are being assaulted, while TSA steals your items, or hire child molesters. It's not republicans or democrats being assaulted, and losing freedom and dignity, it's Americans. And that is what is happening here. Trying to prevent illegals from voting- means making the letter writers mother have the runaround, pay a bunch of fees to get 60 year old documents, and wait in lines more- and for what? To renew something she already had? She isn't starting out from scratch! She isn't some foreigner who just got her citizenship.

justthefacts
justthefacts 10/02/12 - 12:27 pm
Isolated event

Stuff happens..

Bantana
2071
Bantana 10/02/12 - 12:32 pm
oh gary

"We could also get back to a popular vote instead of electoral, which is blatently biased because everyone knows that McCain actually won the election in 2008."

Where do you get this stuff? Senator McCain lost the popular vote by well over 9,000,000 votes.

Bantana
2071
Bantana 10/02/12 - 12:39 pm
gore defeats bush

You folks always want to talk about facts. Well, here it is.

Now if you want to talk about the Electoral College then check the vote totals for 2000. VP Gore defeated Gov. Bush by over 500,000 votes.
Either way, the Democratic candidates took the popular vote in 2000 and 2008. Yes, let's do get rid of the Electoral College. We could have spared the lives of 4,000 US service personell, hundreds of thousands of Iraqui citizens and uncounted billions of dollars. What a waste!

justthefacts
justthefacts 10/02/12 - 12:54 pm
How about States

Most States wins!! GOP gets 29 out of the 57 states...they win!

carcraft
carcraft 10/02/12 - 01:34 pm
Bantana - And if we could

Bantana - And if we could only play chess like checkers? Politicians know how the game is palyed. If we didn't have an electoral college who would care abour Iowa? That is why the founding fathers set it up the way it is. We are a Republic, not a Democracy. Why not just vote on laws we want instead of having a legislature?

GaStang22
GaStang22 10/02/12 - 02:11 pm
Angie H, loving the posts!

But LL not only is Angie's post to your DL question accurate, but there is another reason and I hope your comment was sarcastic.

To others defending illegals....... the DL topic is not just for voter fraud, still loving Angie's negative proving posts (snicker) but also a measure of making things harder for and easier to catch/deport..... illegals. Maybe if you were an honest law abiding soul waiting your turn for years to become a citizen of this great country while a few hundred thousand cut you in line making your wait longer you would understand. I know dang good and well you people would be the same ones chicken necking and cursing if someone cut you in line at the fair ride, the food line etc.....

GaStang22
GaStang22 10/02/12 - 02:28 pm
Bantana Re: Pennsylvania

That's only because he felt there was not enough time to implement it because there wasn't enough people who got off their lazy rumps to go take care of business!!!!

"He said, “I expected more photo IDs to have been issued by this time. For this reason, I accept Petitioners’ argument that in the remaining five weeks before the general election, the gap between the photo IDs issued and the estimated need will not be closed."

His decision did not strike down the entire law; in fact he rejected efforts by those challenging to law to stop state officials from educating voters about the voter ID requirement.

Simpson also said that those challenging the law have conceded that the part of the law which requires proof of identification for absentee voting does not harm would-be voters and may be implemented.

No one is disenfranchised...... they simply do not feel like complying with the law and think everything should be handed to them because its too much like work and takes effort. Typical entitlement and criminal mentality we expect from that side.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 10/02/12 - 02:55 pm
The ID law is linked to the coming election

Obama said it to the President of Russia over an accidentally left open microphone..“This is my last election…after my election I have more flexibility,” as President Barack Obama told Medvedev.

So what does he have planned to ram down our throats knowing it his last "election"?

Angie H
Angie H 10/02/12 - 03:38 pm
"I walk in and buy a weapons

"I walk in and buy a weapons without a problem. In fact, I just returned from a store and the hardest part is going to be waiting for the rifle to come in. I did not have to go through any hoops as the letter writer's mother went through. Even getting NFA items is less of a hassle."

Well...I had no problem getting an ID either...no hoops to jump through. I guess there are always exceptions.

Retired Army
Retired Army 10/02/12 - 05:16 pm
Read 'em & weep. When your

Read 'em & weep. When your guy throws 47% of Americans under the bus from the git go this is the result:

carcraft
carcraft 10/02/12 - 06:05 pm
Retired Army, Well it appears

Retired Army, Well it appears that Obama had information about the Embassy attack about an hour after it happened and lied! Biden (the Obama brain trust) just said "the middle class has been buried for four years " Rassmussen has it pretty close! My heavens, huffington? What are the internals?

carcraft
carcraft 10/02/12 - 06:13 pm
Obama is currently telling

Obama is currently telling defense contractors that they can violate the law AND OBAMA WILL USE TAX PAYERS MONEY TO PAY THIER LEGAL LIABILITIES!

gargoyle
19459
gargoyle 10/02/12 - 08:41 pm
Think Holder will defend Napolitano?

Ok. The Federal Gov't mandated the new requirements for picture ID's. This is what has led to everyone resubmitting the paperwork so the state can meet these requirements.

But you are correct, it will be a HUGE hardship for some people to produce the correct forms to verify their identity. I will use myself as an example: I got a divorce; decided that I wanted my original name back. As is normal in divorces, if the female wishes to revert to her old name, a single page is added to the divorce decree to authorize this change. I took the decree, my SSN card, and my driver's license (both with my married name) to the Social Security Office. I was told I must have my picture ID in my new single name, before they could process the decree. I got a new license with the new name, returned to the Social Security Office. I was told I needed to have the driver's license with my married name AND my original marriage certificate. When asked why, I was told that the divorce decree was not an approved document for name changes. This went on for several more frustrating visits, before I was finally granted the name change. So I do see where people who have a life and a job may give up and end up with their documents not matching.

BUT since this is a FEDERAL MANDATE, if you do not like it petition Eric Holder to grant a stay from enacting this legislation proposed by Homeland Security.

So now the question: do you think Holder will defend or prosecute Janet Napolitano?

Angie H
Angie H 10/03/12 - 06:00 am
So no one can explain how

So no one can explain how people who tend to vote democrat will be disproportionatly disenfranchised?

Many remember Carl Sanders

ATLANTA -- A large crowd filled a downtown Atlanta church Saturday for the memorial service for Carl Sanders, an Augusta native who had served as governor in the height of the Civil Rights Movement.