Pray, vote

I recently heard two disturbing statistics: Only half of evangelical Christians are registered to vote and, of those registered, only half vote.

The God of the Bible, though the Apostle Paul in a letter to Timothy, commanded that His people pray for “all those in authority.” If God’s people are to be active in praying for those in authority, should they not also participate in the electoral process by voting?

Some evangelical Christians who would vote for the GOP candidate are not voting for Mitt Romney because he is a Mormon. We are not electing a religious leader, but a man who will be entrusted with using good judgment to lead our great nation in a direction that will put millions of our citizens back to work.

Gene Striker

Augusta

soapy_725
soapy_725 09/30/12 - 06:41 am
All citizens should vote.

Correct. Let their voices be heard. As people of faith we should be very concerned that "our king" be a righteous man/woman. When the king sins, everyone suffers. But in the current state of America and the world, we may in fact be electing a global religious leader. We often hear, "the most powerful leader in the world"? Mrs. Obama views Barack as the leader of the world and we venture to say he is in agreement with his wife. The most powerful leader in the world who believes that the "state" is a religion. The state is the provider and defender of the people. The state is the source of all good. And he, Mr. Obama, is preaching his new revelation.

Ignorance and Apathy, the true twin towers of American culture are alive and well in 2012.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 09/30/12 - 07:45 am
This insinuates that

This insinuates that evangelicals should automatically vote for Romney. Why is that? This is one of the reasons this country is divided and baffles me. If you are truly Christian... think about it. If Jesus were here today and was able to vote, who would he vote for?? You may already have a WWJD sticker on the back of your cadillac. For once, think about that question. Would he vote for someone that was trying to help the poor? Would he vote for someone that wanted health care for everyone? Would he vote for someone that wanted to stop current/future wars and bring the troops home to be with their families? OR.. would he want to vote for someone that is filthy rich, has the interests of the rich in mind, treats corporations as people?

dichotomy
dichotomy 09/30/12 - 08:14 am
"Some evangelical Christians

"Some evangelical Christians who would vote for the GOP candidate are not voting for Mitt Romney because he is a Mormon."

Yeh, and my moma would say they are cutting their nose off to spite their face.

bubbasauce
bubbasauce 09/30/12 - 08:32 am
Amen! That's all I need to

Amen! That's all I need to say.

Jane18
Jane18 09/30/12 - 09:27 am
Some vote, some do not...........

Thank you, Gene Stryker! What is so bad, these people have been taught and told for years that their "religion" tells them not to be a part of the voting system. And just as bad(maybe worse), many are told not to be a part of our military either. If a person doesn't want to be included in processes of our country, that's fine, but for a religion to dictate what people do or not do, sorry, I can't go with that. My Bible tells me how to live, not some man or organization!! Everyone wants what America has to offer, but, many do Not want to do their part.

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 09/30/12 - 11:44 am
How much time have you spent actually reading scripture,

as opposed to just believing whatever your pastor says? Today's GOP diverges quite a bit from the ideals of the New Testament.

Oh, and if you really want to make a difference, stop eating pork. You'll live longer, and you won't be contributing quite so much to rising health care costs. If your pastor is more than 20 pounds overweight and makes excuses for it, then you need to stop listening to anything else he says, because he is not a good shepherd, or even interested in making an honest living.

InChristLove
InChristLove 09/30/12 - 12:44 pm
grouse you stated "I find it

grouse you stated "I find it amusing that those calling for prayer before the next election (presumably to get Mr. Romney elected) are trying to get God to bend to their desires."

I don't see it as such. I believe the writer of this letter is asking those who pray, to pray for a man with integrity. His statement was "We are not electing a religious leader, but a man who will be entrusted with using good judgment to lead our great nation in a direction that will put millions of our citizens back to work" It you understood anything about prayer you would know that prayer is a request or praise to God. He does not bend to our desire but He does listens to our request. God never said we would always like or agree with his decision but for ever season there is a reason.

You stated "One could conclude, If God is always in control, as frequently stated in these pages, that since the other candidate is already in office, God had already decided during the last election who should be in the White House..."

Again, if you understood anything about God you would know that sometimes God allows things to happen (trials we might call them), either to put us in a place to be dependant on Him or to show us how desperate we can become without Him. In my opinion, there are many who are aware of how desolete this nation has become and just how far from God this Nation is.

This November I pray we have all learned our lesson and this Nation realizes we are nothing without Him and that we have not become so heart-harded that we must repeat this trial.

InChristLove
InChristLove 09/30/12 - 02:03 pm
Jon Lester, please explain

Jon Lester, please explain what you mean that if your pastor is at least 20 lbs overweight he's not interesting in making a honest living. How does one weight have anything to do whether he loves the Lord and spreads the Gospel. Last time I checked, weight didn't stop anyone from telling others that Jesus loves them, that Jesus died for them, and that Jesus wants them to spend eternity with Him......that's about as honest as you can get.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 09/30/12 - 06:25 pm
"We are not electing a

"We are not electing a religious leader, but a man who will be entrusted with using good judgment to lead our great nation in a direction that will put millions of our citizens back to work."

That and more!
___________________________

" If God is always in control, as frequently stated in these pages, that since the other candidate is already in office, God had already decided during the last election who should be in the White House..."

As a Christian, I believe our world is following a pre-ordained course! For the most part, Bible prophesy has been fulfilled, and the world is racing toward the final days. Each of us plays a part by our actions and by the way we live our lives. We directly affect our future, which is why we should always live by God's Holy words, and be prepared when God calls us home.

KSL
KSL 09/30/12 - 06:53 pm
Pork?

I eat a lot of pork and I am not over weight. I hope you were being sarcastic.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 09/30/12 - 08:08 pm
Pray

We are not "electing a religious leader", so it wouldn't matter if the president were a Muslim, right? I'm just checking your honesty level.

InChristLove
InChristLove 09/30/12 - 08:11 pm
grouse, can you prove He

grouse, can you prove He isn't really there? I can guarantee you that I am neither delusional or out of touch with reality and I have a conversation with my God every day. Whether you believe it or not, is not my concern, but just as I can not prove to you He exists, neither can you prove He doesn't. I'm curious as to how you came to the deduction that God toys with His subjects? Does a parent toy with their child when they are teaching him or her life lessons? I think not. But then I suppose we all have different parenting skills.

I'm sorry you viewed my response as condescending. You stated a point, I responded with my view. I fail to see how that is condescending. I posted a view and you responded. Do I now accuse you of being condescending? Hmmmmm

InChristLove
InChristLove 09/30/12 - 08:25 pm
Truth Matters....before the

Truth Matters....before the question can be anwered, is the Muslim you are questioning to be President "a man who will be entrusted with using good judgment to lead our great nation in a direction that will put millions of our citizens back to work." Is this Muslim a man who will secure our Nation and do what is best for the American people?

Let's be honest.....after 9/11, after what has taken place in Iraq and Afganistan, after the death of our Libyan Consulate, would you feel secure having a Muslim leading our Nation?

myfather15
myfather15 09/30/12 - 08:52 pm
Truth matters;

If it were a Muslim that I knew wasn't radical and had the USA's success as his or hers top priority, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But the problem is, I can look at an snake and tell you it's a snake. No matter how many times someone tells me it's a puppy dog, you will never convince me of it. I know its a snake. There are far to many people you can convince unfortunately, but not me!! Obama absolutely DOE NOT have the USA's best interests in his mind. He is too busy working toward this one world order. Keep working Mr. Obama, we are getting closer and closer. I just wonder if people like grouse will have the nerve to come out and continue to pronounce their displeasure of God, when Christ is here in person?? I bet they turn coat and try to con Christ into believing they loved him. Sorry, won't work!!

ultrarnr
ultrarnr 09/30/12 - 09:22 pm
Muslim

What Muslim is leading our nation? Just asking-Guess I must be reading different stuff from the posters here.

KSL
KSL 09/30/12 - 09:40 pm
Mo

Said he was a black Muslim while endorsing him.

Splain that.

KSL
KSL 09/30/12 - 09:42 pm
LOL!

Credible supporters are so important. Especially the ones with great speaking abilities.

Kettle donations rise in 2014