God's word to be silenced?

With respect to Ms. Joni Ellsworth’s comments (“Food chain against gays,” Aug. 9) regarding Dan Cathy and his views on gay marriage:

It seems he is doing exactly what many influential gay rights personalities and media outlets are doing to promote their views on this same subject. Shall we shut down those who use newspapers, the entertainment industry, television and other vocal outlets for the expression and significant dollar contributions to their views? Apparently so, since Ms. Ellsworth would have us shut down anyone who takes a biblical stance on this subject.

That we are a country of laws allows us the right to express our views and to spend our resources as we choose to express our stand on issues that are important, controversial or not. Lashing out at others as bigoted because they do not share our views, and a willingness to deny them the same right of free expression, seems incongruous to say the least.

Dan Cathy, and millions of others, including multiple faiths, have a similar stance on this issue. Trashing the Bible as a source of this bigotry because it includes very vivid descriptions of the human condition misconstrues the message and intent of Scripture.

There is no attempt in Scripture, Old or New Testaments, to hide the effects of sinful behavior and the way it undermines the intent of God for His creation. Adam, Noah, Saul, David, Solomon, the church at Corinth and a host of other examples are a testimony to what happens when people make choices that conflict with God’s directives for His people.

What Ms. Ellsworth misses in her assessment of the Bible is the overriding theme of God’s grace regardless of the choices we make. The historical record of the impact of sin is clear; the power of God’s grace is redemptive to anyone who chooses to hear what God has to say.

Bill Colbert

Evans

fedex227
fedex227 09/13/12 - 11:56 pm
Just my opinion but ...

I don't think God gives a $%^* one way or the other what Ms. Ellisowrth or Mr. Colbert thinks about gay marriage. Nor do I.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 09/14/12 - 03:15 am
True fedx227

I'm all for free speech though. It's one of the things that seperates us from all other forms of government. I can stand on a street corner and say Obama is a horrible leader at the top of my lungs and no can do anything (legally) about it. I am granted that right and I think it's a dang swell one!

TParty 09/14/12 - 05:51 am
"Lashing out at others as

"Lashing out at others as bigoted because they do not share our views, and a willingness to deny them the same right of free expression, seems incongruous to say the least."

It depends on what the lashing out the writer is referring too. If lashing out means violence, then obviously that is wrong.

However if the lashing out means calling people out on their bigotry, then- you know- there is no problem with that. Just like people can say bigoted things, others can lash out verbally to bigots.

"What Ms. Ellsworth misses in her assessment of the Bible is the overriding theme of God’s grace regardless of the choices we make."

Has the writer even read the bible? What is the kill count god is up too? God even went to so far as to hardend the hearts of people, just so god can kill people.... how is that graceful?

Jane18
Jane18 09/14/12 - 06:44 am
GOD's Grace

TParty, grace is unmerited love. That means GOD loves people even though some may not seem to deserve it. The hardening of their hearts(the mind, brain)is for their own protection. There is going to be a time these people and others Will hear the Truth(unlike today when every denomination has their own interpretation), and have the chance to accept it or not. I've said before, there are so many deeper meanings to GOD's word, we just have to study and find out those meanings.............................

TParty 09/14/12 - 07:13 am
"The hardening of their

"The hardening of their hearts(the mind, brain)is for their own protection."

Ugh... god hardened the hearts, ruined the chance of free will, so that god can kill people and bring destruction to the land. Clearly you and god have a weird way of defining protection.

EDIT: Grammar fix.

soapy_725
soapy_725 09/14/12 - 07:06 am
Jesus was the physical manifestation

of that GRACE. While God loves all and desires to have a relationship with all, all do not want to come to have a relationship with God. They are totally obsessed with having relationships with their own gender. Jesus clearly stated who would be in heaven with Him. That is why the Gay and Lesbian Community must redefine grace, faith and most important sin and repentance. A New Religion.

Acceptance of God's superiority over mankind is paramount with regard to any sin. We cannot define sins against God and nature. God alone can define what is "unacceptable to God". It is His game and His ball.

No other "sin" mentioned in the Bible is an "abomination to God". When have we ever seen thieves, adulterers, gluttons, liars, fornicators parading in the streets declaring that they are not sinners. They have not disobeyed God. God made an error and created them as unrepentant sinners. The old unrepentant sinner's circular logic. God created all things. So God created sin. All that God created was good. So sin is good. So my actions are good. And I am not responsible for my sin. It is God's fault I am a sinner.

Jane18
Jane18 09/14/12 - 07:18 am
Free will is still open--for everyone

Sometimes TParty I think twice about addressing you, and many times I have not. But, because I hope one day a message or word will mean something to you, I will sign in and comment. I don't mean to sound ugly or judgmental, but, you are one(among many, many, many) that will one day understand what I have said today............By the way, free will and choices are not taken from anyone, they are still there.

soapy_725
soapy_725 09/14/12 - 07:36 am
We will, we will, rock you

We will, we will, ROCK YOU and your society. We will parade in the streets and mock Almighty GOD and his so called laws of nature and you can't do a damned thing about it. We will, we will, ROCK YOU. We will commit an abomination in the "altars of your places of worship" and you can't do a damned thing about. We will, we will ROCK YOU. We will sue you in court for discrimination and win. You can't do a damned thing about it. We will, we will, ROCK YOU.

TParty 09/14/12 - 07:54 am
When an outside source

Seriously though, what is the kill count god has? And how is that graceful?

InChristLove 09/14/12 - 09:04 am
TParty, I feel like an

TParty, I feel like an explanation is in order but seriously doubt that it will make much difference in your opinion of Christianity or God. It is difficult for one who does not have the Holy Spirit within his soul to understand the things of God but I will do my best to try and reveal His truth to you.

We as human believe things should be done a certain way because our judgment on how things should be in order, or what is good, are based on human understanding and not God’s.

Because God is 100% Holy, He can not have a relationship with sin and He showed extreme mercy and patience with the people in the Old Testament, time after time after time. Who are we to question God’s judgment or His ways of discipline? Our understanding of death is not God’s understanding of death. Is it not possible, that to prevent further evil in this world, God “ordered violence” (as some call it) to restrain worse evil and atrocity in the world, to protect His people, His children from eternal separation from Him?

We must also remember that in the Old Testament time, Jesus Christ had not come to earth to provide a way for forgiveness of sin and to provide an alternative to eternal death which is the requirement of sin. So many want to wallow in the sinful nature of the Old Testament and not rejoice in the redemption of the New Testament through Christ’s forgiveness and salvation.

"But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God; for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised." (1 Cor. 2:14)

TParty 09/14/12 - 09:37 am
"Who are we to question God’s

"Who are we to question God’s judgment or His ways of discipline?"

We are humans, that, according the god, created us in his image. And we can argue with god all we want. Abraham in fact negotiates with god and wins.

"Is it not possible, that to prevent further evil in this world, God “ordered violence” (as some call it) to restrain worse evil and atrocity in the world, to protect His people, His children from eternal separation from Him?"

I suppose it's possible. That is why some other religious people are acting violent right now, right? I guess no human should call them out on their actions though- since god told them too, and god 100% holy.

InChristLove 09/14/12 - 09:43 am
TParty posted "When an

TParty posted "When an outside source prevents you from doing something (Because they harden your heart) that is interfering with free will.'

My question to you is, by what standard and with what wisdom do you determine is the just punishment for sinning against a Holy God and denying and refusing the gift of redemption of His Son Jesus Christ?

InChristLove 09/14/12 - 10:00 am
"And we can argue with god

"And we can argue with god all we want. Abraham in fact negotiates with god and wins. "

LOL TParty, there is a huge difference in arguing with God and negotiating with God, and PLEASE.....Abraham didn't win, God still destroy Sodom and Gomorrah, he only allowed Abraham to intercede for his brother Lot and his family.

When we pray and asked God for mercy we often think we are battling against God so He will give in to our petition. That is so false….God sends us the burden so that we are prompted to pray, he hears our prayers and then answers them. And you know what, it’s his pleasure to answer those prayers, but make no mistake, it’s not a bargaining table, it is a relationship between a Father and His child. No one wins but God Almighty.

TParty 09/14/12 - 10:00 am
"TParty, the people's heart

"TParty, the people's heart in reference to the Old Testament were already harden through disobedience to Christ's will, that was their free will......just as it is today. "

And every time the people wanted to relent, god said no- hardened their hearts, and then killed their first born child. And you wonder why, even if this was true, why I don't love and worship this god.

I struggle to figure out why anyone would. People hate abortions, but love a god who kills children?

InChristLove 09/14/12 - 10:05 am
TParty wrote "That is why

TParty wrote "That is why some other religious people are acting violent right now, right? I guess no human should call them out on their actions though- since god told them too, and god 100% holy."

Last time I checked TParty, we are not living in Biblical days. Since we have Grace from our Lord and redemption under the New Covenant, I fail to see where violence is ordained by God. Why others religious or not, would commit acts of violence? My guess would be they need Jesus.

InChristLove 09/14/12 - 10:10 am
"God did not impregnate Mary

"God did not impregnate Mary with himself yet- so there was no Jesus for the people of Egypt to disobey. "

What????

TParty 09/14/12 - 10:11 am
Jesus talked about bringing

Jesus talked about bringing the sword. And what era are the biblical times? Do the Crusades count?

And why does anyone need Jesus, when god is 100% holy, and there is only one god, and he says don't worship any other gods?

TParty 09/14/12 - 10:12 am
"God did not impregnate Mary

What????

Where is the confusion?

InChristLove 09/14/12 - 10:28 am
TParty, the death of the

TParty, the death of the first-born was not only a demonstration of the powerlessness of Pharaoh (whom the people worshiped and yes their hearts were hardened, not relenting) and the truth of God’s Word that He is Almighty. It was also a representation of the true Lamb of God, the blood on the doorpost represented the death of His Son, which is the true firstborn, who would later die for my sins and yes, your sins as well. God was acting in perfect justice. The Egyptians had selfishly mistreated the Israelites (God’s people) for decades and enforced a barbarous system of infanticide on them. Pharaoh decreed that every newborn Israeli boy was to be cast alive into the Nile River. I find it hilarious that you criticize God’s love for His people

TParty 09/14/12 - 10:35 am
I find it scary you justify

I find it scary you justify all the killing god does, and you love and support god still....

Killing children just to show Pharaoh is weaker. I'm in shock, and I'm frightened you think this is okay. And I'm confused how you consider this love. I mean, this sounds just like a relationship where god is the abusive husband... he hits and screams threatens to show he is great, and he cares.

InChristLove 09/14/12 - 10:36 am
TParty, there is no need for

TParty, there is no need for me to try and explain the Trinity to you because without the Holy Spirit, understanding is impossible (refer to 1 Cor. 2:14)

God the Son (Jesus) is fully, completely God. God the Father is fully, completely God. And God the Holy Spirit is fully, completely God. Yet there is only one God. In our world, with our limited human experience, it's tough to understand the Trinity. A worldly illustration is water, which can be ice, steam, or liquid. It can take on different forms but is one.

InChristLove 09/14/12 - 10:40 am
Confusion???? Yes there

Confusion????

Yes there is.......I never said the people of Egypt disobeyed Jesus so what difference does it make whether Mary was impregnated yet? I said the people disobeyed God (the Father).

TParty 09/14/12 - 10:43 am
Prove any of the Trinity

Prove any of the Trinity exists. Until you do, you're talking about the specific characteristics of something I do not accept exists. It's no different from debating how many toes a leprechaun has before showing me a real, live leprechaun.

TParty 09/14/12 - 10:47 am
"I never said the people of

"I never said the people of Egypt disobeyed Jesus"

Yeah you did, right... here!

"the people's heart in reference to the Old Testament were already harden through disobedience to Christ's will"

InChristLove 09/14/12 - 11:05 am
TParty, I can not prove to

TParty, I can not prove to you that God exist so how can I prove the Trinity. He is alive and real to me and that is all that matters. You don't have to accept Him or believe, that is what we call free will and that is your choice. Because I can not prove to you, does not mean He is not Truth. I can not prove you are TParty (because I've never met or seen you).....does that mean you do not exist?

As for: "Yeah you did, right.....here!"

No I didn't. The reference to Christ was meant to refer to God. Since God is God whether He is the Father, Son, or Holy Spirit and the Son had not come to earth in human form in Pharoh's day, the disobedience was to God the Father. Sorry for the confusion but it's not like you really care, now does it?

TParty 09/14/12 - 11:07 am
You're right, I don't care.

You're right, I don't care. Just like I do not believe Santa Clause is real, or Harry Potter books are the truth.

I'm still scared you and others are willing to worship a god that kills so many children just to show the someone else is weaker.

InChristLove 09/14/12 - 11:11 am
Well I guess TParty, that is

Well I guess TParty, that is why God is God and we are not.....good day to you.

InChristLove 09/14/12 - 11:21 am
TParty, the children's death

TParty, the children's death was a result of sin.

Just because their deaths proved God's power over Pharroh, does not mean their deaths occurred because of God's power and Pharroh's weakness. If Pharroh and his people had obeyed God, God would not have had to send all the plagues including the death of all the first born males.

TParty 09/14/12 - 11:20 am
"that is why God is God and

"that is why God is God and we are not"

Is that how religious people sleep at night, believing that is the type of behavior is consider holy, and worthy of worship? That this is why God is God and we are not- because only Jesus can understand why killing innocent children to prove another person is weaker than Jesus is holy and true?

InChristLove 09/14/12 - 11:34 am
TParty, I don't know how

TParty, I don't know how religious people sleep at night....do tell me?

As for me, as a child of God, I sleep very well knowing that He is in control and His way is perfect, that He loves and cares for me.

Just for clarity, God is God for no other reason than He is God. You can put your spin on it however you like but truth will remain truth whether you believe or not, whether you agree or not. It's not up to you.