Stop protest and move on

Enough is enough. The protest for the naming of the merged universities Georgia Regents University has run its course, and the members of the Georgia Board of Regents haven’t budged.

So it is time is to move on and lend our support to this great leader and visionary, Georgia Health Sciences University President Ricardo Azziz.

We are very fortunate to have Dr. Azziz in our community. He has brought to us a can-do attitude, and is showing us that what we have can be enhanced and improved to become world-renowned.

Sometimes, I have wondered if Dr. Azziz is too big for us, or if we are too small for him. Do we become too comfortable with the status quo? Or, when someone comes in our midst and shakes a few trees, do we worry that we may not catch some of the goodies?

I have heard Dr. Azziz speak a couple of times, and each time I have been impressed with his grace, eagerness, toughness and courage. He has the support of our governor and the regents. Thus, our community stands to profit greatly.

Let us show Dr. Azziz that we Augustans are “cool.”

Tracy E. Williams Jr.

Augusta

Insider Information
Insider Information 09/04/12 - 12:21 am
Let us show Azziz that we are

Let us show Azziz that we are cool.

Let us show him the quickest way to the airport and as a sign of our ultra coolness let us also give him a one-way ticket out of town.

Benjamin Paine
Benjamin Paine 09/04/12 - 07:10 am
Uncool....better than the alternative.

So let me get this right.

It is "cool" to rally around and support someone that embraced a sham of a process to name the schools, misrepresented his actions to the public, showed a total disregard for public opinion (while leading a public institution), wasted public resources, has given no indication that he is capable of admitting to a mistake and has displayed an amazing amount of ineptitude in a relatively short period of time leading these two schools through the naming and consolidation processes.

It appears that the only thing greater than than this public display of incompetence may be his ego. If it is "cool" to embrace these behaviors and values, if it is "cool" to compromise ones own values because "others haven't budged", and if it is "cool" to somehow confuse rhetorical skills with "leadership" and "vision", then I am proud to be "uncool".

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 09/04/12 - 09:29 am
Tracey, my boy,

I also once believed we were quite fortunate to have Dr. Azziz. He certainly seemed to have great ideas and the juice to bring them to reality. Now, however, I'm not so sure that the cost of having him isn't too high, as that cost appears to include our very identity and the integrity, respect and consideration for each other that has always been part of that identity.

This protest is not over until there is an appropriate response, one that either wins people over or that results in a satisfactory resolution in some other way.

It's clear you have no sense of history, otherwise you wouldn't be proposing such a ridiculous thing. Our name is more important than you apparently realize, or perhaps than you care about.

Don't protest if you don't feel you should, but don't tell the rest of us to give up. That's exactly how Obama ended up in the White House and look where that has led us.

harley_52
harley_52 09/04/12 - 09:48 am
"Sometimes, I have wondered if Dr. Azziz....

.... is too big for us, or if we are too small for him."

Okay, Tracy, now you can stop by Human Resources and pick up your pay raise and the keys to your new office.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/04/12 - 10:05 am
Mr. Williams tell us one

Mr. Williams tell us one beneficial thing you believe he has done. We will discuss it.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 09/04/12 - 10:06 am
Fiat_Lux wrote

FYI, Tracey is a supporter of Obama. He is a frequent contributor to the letters section of the AC and has made no bones about the way he feels. He is also African American and , I am sure, will take exception to being referred to as Tracey, my boy which, of course was an innocent remark on your part.

TannerManor
TannerManor 09/04/12 - 10:25 am
Wow. A PC middleman.

Wow. A PC middleman.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 09/04/12 - 10:33 am
TannerManor

If you are referring to me your remark is inappropiate.

prov227
prov227 09/04/12 - 10:36 am
Dear Tracy ...

One might have different feelings about the institutions that granted their degrees.

harley_52
harley_52 09/04/12 - 11:00 am
"He is also African American....

....and , I am sure, will take exception to being referred to as Tracey, my boy which, of course was an innocent remark on your part."

If he takes exception to an innocent remark, so be it. I take exception to lots of things and nobody seems to care much one way or the other.

He'll get over it.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 09/04/12 - 11:05 am
It would seem that the

It would seem that the illustrious Dr. Azziz has no need of our lowly local support...being the great visionary and world leader he is, he can do this all on his own.

Us mere mortals will be content to show that we embrace our lack of cool.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/04/12 - 11:19 am
Laney Walker

Since Tracey Williams is such a fan of Azziz, I'm sure he will revive Dr. Azziz's plan to close Laney Walker Boulevard through the campus. That's a cause we all can get behind.

madquack
madquack 09/04/12 - 12:29 pm
Obama, Race, Hate

The last two are why I left Georgia, in the 70's. I would like to tell others about my hometown, and state, but the only things I can tell people are, the Racist and Haters don't have to wear Hoods, and Robes anymore. They are proud of who they are, and what they are, and they pass that on to their children, and grand children.

InChristLove
InChristLove 09/04/12 - 01:08 pm
madquack, it's possible your

madquack, it's possible your perception is misguided since you left in the 70's. There are many here in Augusta who are proud of who they are and where they came from......heck, I'm not even from here and I'm proud to say I'm from Augusta. I have multi-races within my family, attend a multi-racial church, and work with multi-racial individuals...and guess what...we get along great.

When you hang on to racial hate...and that's all you'll see....let it go man.

tinman
tinman 09/04/12 - 01:26 pm
Subject? WHy....Dr. AZIZZ ZZZZ ZZZZ of course

My first thoughts of Dr. Azizz was when he first came here and decided that he had to close a thru street in the campus because students might get hurt. My thoughts were..."Well, I think these are susposed to be college students---aged 18 and up--- do they not have enough sense to "Look both ways" before crossing? If not, let's send them back to grade school. Oh but I forget----now we have phones that we read on and Ipods that we read on, and other such devices that REQUIRE our attention so we don't have time to look both ways!!
As for the name of the school---Azizz has been nothing but trouble since he came here....was he brought here to destroy the universities in Augusta so the Regents could move everything out of Augusta? Atlanta hates Augusta so much anyway--including the BIG "DEAL" that they will do anything to hurt Augusta!
And I am not even from Augusta!!! Wake up!! MCG is going to Athens!!!

TannerManor
TannerManor 09/04/12 - 01:41 pm
I was. I thought it was odd

I was. I thought it was odd to call attention to an "innocent remark" that may have offended only those who look for some sinister meaning in every word or phrase. Not every use of the word "boy" has to have racial undertones, if that's what you were inferring, and the above remark did not seem to project that.

If the offense was referring to an older gentleman as "boy" or "my boy", I could better understand.

Now back to regular programming....

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 09/04/12 - 01:49 pm
The name didn't indicate anything but, uhm, his name.

"Jr." gave it away that the letter writer was probably a guy. He just seemed young and very naive, based on what he wrote, hence the "Tracy, my boy". If Tracy is offended by that, well, it is his choice.

We mostly pick our own reality anyway.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 09/04/12 - 01:59 pm
TannerManor

You are making a mountain out of a mole hill. My comment was not intended to be sinister. Tracy Williams is an older gentlemen and, although I disagree with him, he is a fine gentlemen and my remark was only intended to be funny. Maybe if I had finished with LOL you would have understood it better.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 09/04/12 - 04:47 pm
It always amazes me....

It always amazes me how different people can observe the same person and come away with entirely different impressions. Where Mr. Williams sees grace in Dr. Azziz; I see arrogance. Where he sees leadership; I see bulldozing. Where he sees a visionary; I see a nightmare.

harley_52
harley_52 09/04/12 - 04:50 pm
"Maybe if I had finished with LOL....

....you would have understood it better."

It's one of the real problems with communicating via the keyboard. You can't look at other folks' eyes, see them grinning (or snarling), you can't see gestures, or body language. Heck, for that matter, you don't even know peoples' gender, age, race, religion, or anything else for sure.

Sometimes it's hard to tell if someone has steam rolling out of their ears and so intense they're about to flip out, or if they're just trying to be silly. I'm not sure what to do about it, but I'm certain it's responsible for about half the "heated" arguments around here.

TannerManor
TannerManor 09/04/12 - 04:54 pm
No beefs. Just commentin' on

No beefs. Just commentin' on a comment. Seems to be the gist of what we do here.

LOL

nnaugusta
nnaugusta 09/04/12 - 05:02 pm
Must be a relative or someone

Must be a relative or someone that wants a window office. I can't imagine anyone with half a brain agreeing with azizz. The Dr., Mr. and last name capitalization was omitted on purpose as I want to show this guy the same respect he shows us. NONE !

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 09/04/12 - 06:06 pm
Harley_52

You nailed it. That is the reason that you rarely see me comment any more. I don't take myself seriously and there is no way that you would know that unless you could see me. Life is too short to have some one jump me when he/see has misinterpreted my comment.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 09/04/12 - 08:41 pm
Carleton, you are always a

Carleton, you are always a hit with me and judging by the thumbs up, with quite a few of the others as well.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 09/04/12 - 08:50 pm
If you don't have something

If you don't have something nice to say about this letter, come and sit by me.

Search for missing teen turns up nothing

Richmond County sheriff's deputies searched the woods near Cross Creek High while a Georgia State Patrol helicopter did likewise from the air for several hours for any clues to the disappearance ...