Stop protesting, move on

I wish The Augusta Chronicle would end this Georgia Regents University campaign and move on. I think the newspaper’s position opposing the new name is provincial at best.

I am appalled by letter writers’ personal attacks on Georgia Health Sciences University President Ricardo Azziz. The regents did the right thing in naming the university in a way that positions it to build a national and international reputation. What part of that concept do you not understand?

John Wesley Stokes

Augusta

guido
guido 08/25/12 - 08:16 am
I agree completely. Thank

I agree completely. Thank you for a courteous letter expressing what is, in my opinion, the most effective way for the Augusta community to move forward and take advantage of this opportunity to enrich our area immensely.

dichotomy
dichotomy 08/25/12 - 08:25 am
Oh, I get the concept. But

Oh, I get the concept. But GRU is an ugly, flakey sounding name and, in all probability, is a trademark violation. They were warned but still insisted on making a stupid move for a stupid name.

On top of that, they way it was done with the bogus "poll" just peeves me. Didn't even show it to the BOR...they claim...and that peeves me. And they spent taxpayer dollars to do it....that really peeves me.

So now I hope they get hammered on the head by the lawsuit and have to change the name again.

Fools_and_sages
Fools_and_sages 08/25/12 - 11:14 am
Names and universities

While the name "Georgia Regents University" poses legal issues and it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, the community needs to think a little about what a huge, growing university could mean for economic development in Augusta regardless of what the school is named. In reality, a university's name means little in the larger scheme of things. People aren't going to come to a school because Augusta conjures images of the Masters' Tournament. People are going to come to a school because the school has a good reputation and the city has a lot to offer.

See, a university gains a reputation through the quality of the programs it builds, the breadth of educational opportunities it offers, the reputations faculty build through their research endeavors, and the quality of the students it puts in the workforce and in graduate schools. A university's reputation is augmented when it is located in a city with vibrant museums, arts communities, sports communities, and entertainment options. Georgia Regents University is just a name. It is up to the community and the people who work and attend GRU to make it into what it is supposed to become-- a large school that educates people from all over the US and the world, instead of a local school that still carries a community college stigma in the minds of many locals. If the community would think bigger and see the growth of GRU as an opportunity for economic growth in housing, entertainment, sports, retail, etc., Augusta could grow a lot as well in terms of the amenities and attractions it offers. GRU could be a huge spark to the local economy if the community decides to grow in order to support GRU better. If GRU becomes what the BOR intends it to be, people will know it's in Augusta, just like they know UGA is in Athens, Johns Hopkins is in Baltimore, Duke is in Raleigh-Durham, Case Western is in Cleveland, Carnegie Mellon is in Pittsburgh, Columbia is in New York City, Harvard is outside Boston, etc. The university doesn't have to be named after the city to have an international impact and it doesn't have to be named after the city for people to embrace it.

Nobody likes the name but, in the immortal words of the Rolling Stones, "You can't always get what you want. But, if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." What this community needs is something to spark economic growth so everybody benefits from job creation. GRU could be that spark, if many people could get beyond the name because they don't like it and embrace the planned future of the university as what the community needs.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 08/25/12 - 12:02 pm
I know one thing

I am so sick of hearing the same old complaints day after day. I don't care if they call it Possum University. Just give it a rest for one day please!

DMPerryJr
DMPerryJr 08/25/12 - 02:49 pm
First I've Heard About It

I didn't even know that Augusta had a University.

What's the fuss about, again?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/25/12 - 03:50 pm
Suppporters

are requesting we move on about the most ridiculous name that could be given (No, illegally named) to an university. Those same mind thinking humans are the same ones that are telling us to move on, on the American "Change" in 2008. Just accept it, Right?

Heck NO!!

Gage Creed
19399
Gage Creed 08/25/12 - 06:19 pm
Stokes.....you went and hurt

Stokes.....you went and hurt my feeling.....calling me provincial. I divine from your suave and debonair prose how worldly you must be. ~eyeroll~
We detractors are so mistaken to oppose a name that John Wesley Stokes has declared to impart national and international prominence on our very own GRU! ~snort~

KSL
KSL 08/25/12 - 06:21 pm
That would be a huge ditto,

That would be a huge ditto, cobalt.

KSL
KSL 08/25/12 - 06:38 pm
And to you, Gage.

And to you, Gage.

Jake
Jake 08/25/12 - 07:24 pm
Moving on

The request to "move on" is being asked of a populace that still embraces the "Hell no, I ain't forgettin' " aspect of the Civil War? Good luck with that, Mr Stokes.

harley_52
harley_52 08/25/12 - 07:38 pm
Yes, Jake...

....we're a bunch of red-neck hicks around here, not nearly as "cool" as the folks from California, even the transplants.

Where have I heard that before?

Jake
Jake 08/25/12 - 09:23 pm
Yes, harley....

What? Are you denying that the sentiment I expressed was/ is not a common theme in the CSRA? It was when I was living there for almost 30 yrs.
I still remember license plates with that emblazoned on them.

"Cool" is an expression used to support a certain attitude. There were many things about Augusta I thought were cool and still do.

Daniel Field removes trees, lights structures in airspace

Daniel Field, managed by operations company Augusta Aviation, has spent more than $30,000 conducting land surveys, removing 30 trees and installing red blinking lights on top of the Newman Tennis ...