God or Allah -- which is it?

From Chronicle Staff Writer Kelly Jasper’s July 16 article “A new place for prayer”: “Muslims fast from sunup to sundown during Ramadan, an exercise that teaches reliance on God and empathy for those who must go without food.”

A most commendable tradition – everyone should embrace fasting more than just during Lent and preceding the Easter resurrection of Christ. It truly teaches complete reliance on God and leads us to a greater appreciation of God’s abundant blessings that He has bestowed upon America.

Subsequently, I read this quote: “The outside of the two-story building is the Islamic statement of faith, which says in Arabic, ‘There is no God but Allah.’”

Exodus 20:3 states: “Thou shall have no other gods before Me.” John 14:6, states: “I am the way, the truth and the life; no one comes to the Father except through me.” Jesus is very specific. “The way, the truth and the life” is singular, not plural. “The” implies “definite.”

In the article, and in today’s culture, acceptance, tolerance, diversity, alternatives and relativism are demanded. All paths lead to heaven and eternal life. Society rejects any definitive type of belief.

If our Lord had been concerned about being diverse and politically correct, He would have said, “I am a way, a truth and a life,” implying indefinite or numerous ways. Jesus made no such reference. Christ specifically stated eight times, in New Testament scriptural concepts, that you are either with Him or you are against Him – there is no middle ground. Jesus is crystal clear: He is the way, the truth and the life!

In a recent Easter service, our senior pastor reinforced Jesus’ words of John 14:6, reminding us that the tombs of Buddha, leader of Buddhism; Confucius, leader of Confucianism; and Mohammed, leader of Islam; all remain occupied. But the tomb of God’s Son and Christianity’s leader, Jesus Christ is not – for He is the only religious leader who has arisen and is alive today!

Jesus hung on a blood-stained cross to save us. Why can’t we just stand up for Him?

So which is it, God or Allah?

William “Bill” Thweatt

North Augusta, S.C.

Comments (80)

myfather15
myfather15 08/10/12 - 02:14 am

Good article but.......

I just wonder how many people out there actually realize that Christians, Mulims and Jews all worship the same exact God. Does that blow your mind?? Has anyone ever told you this before?

Its very simple, all three of those "Religions" proudly proclaim to trace their roots back to one man......ABRAHAM.

They all three claim to worship the God of Abraham, Issac and Jacob.

Well, how can that be?? If all three "Religions" claim to worship the God of Abraham, and Abraham is a single individual man who worshipped one God, then we are all worshipping the SAME GOD. We just call Him different names and follow different "Saviors". Christians follow Christ, Muslims follow Muhammad.

Its the same old story, time and time again, but its true. God has NOT deceived people or lied to anyone. MAN has, MANY TIMES. The TRUTH only gets screwed up when MEN start to believe they know better than anyone else. They start forming their own "versions" of the truth. That is EXACTLY how ALL other religions started. They were started by MEN who thought THEIR way was better than what they were being taught.

My own Uncle did this himself. He had "Church shopped" for many years and couldn't find one he agree with. So he decided to form his own Church and become the Pastor. He has a small Church of about 15 members in the mountains. But my uncle is no more qualified to teach the word of God than my dog. Now, I realize some will blast me for this comment and say I'm judging him, but you don't know him. I'm not judging his soul, just saying he doesn't know anything about Hebrew and Greek and just teaches HIS VERSION, not the Truth. It confused people more than it teaches them.

My point to this whole thing is that we CAN'T blame God for confusion on Truth, that lies solely with MEN.

MEN have created all the different versions of FAITH we see today, NOT GOD!!!!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 08/10/12 - 02:17 am

good question

Every religion thinks that their's is the only true religion.
This is the great mystery.
I wish I was secure enough in my faith that I could answer this question. I guess I'm one of those people that religious folk would say is going to hell.
Why? Because I cannot answer this question.
People who grow up in America are mostly Christian, therefore they will say their's is the only way. Folks who grow up in the middle east or parts of Africa would say their's is the true path even worth dying for.
In India the Hindus would say their brand is the true brand. The Buddists say it is their's.
Me? I believe in God and love him with all my heart. I also treat my neighbor as my self. As far as a particular brand of religion I'll leave that to the preachers. I think we're all after the same God so I'm not going to put down someone else's faith. I don't think my God would like that. It seems to me your location on the planet has much influence on what brand of religion you subscribe to.
I guess the Christians are going to bash my answer but that's ok. I speak my own truth and it always gets me in trouble.

WyattEarp Earp
WyattEarp Earp 08/10/12 - 04:27 am

Myfather15

Very well put...!! I was born in N.C. And my God said he was a God of many names...you either know him personally or you don't. Amen!!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/10/12 - 07:09 am

Religious Debate

Well, no words from me on this one.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/10/12 - 07:13 am

myfather15, mostly I agree

myfather15, mostly I agree with your comments and know you to be a faithful person, but I have to disagree with you on this.

The one God of the Bible is a triune God, comprised of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Islam denies that there is a Godhood, and teaches that Allah stands alone so thereforth, the God of Islam and tghe God of Christianity can not be the same God.

Allah and God differ as to their history, they differ as to their nature, and they differ as to their attributes

Techfan
Techfan 08/10/12 - 07:32 am

Buddha was cremated.

Buddha was cremated. Bodhidharma, the founder of Buddhism was seen after his death, walking and holding a shoe. When his grave was exhumed, all that was found was a shoe. As to Christianity, are you referring to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre or the Garden Tomb? In regard to Confucius and Muhammad, when were the exhumations performed?

Techfan
Techfan 08/10/12 - 07:42 am

So if God is 3 beings, isn't

So if God is 3 beings, isn't that polytheism? "O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt." seems to indicate they are not the same being.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/10/12 - 07:48 am

Using God Name In Vain

Any social popularity be damn.
Whether you be Catholic, Jewish, Protestant or Islamic.
Some things are not joking subject matter.

One of the biggies on GOD's Top Ten List

Taking the name of God in vain, is something I would not play with it.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 08/10/12 - 07:53 am

Monotheism

... man's singularly most fatal concept. Causing mass murder since the days of Ahkenaton, and goes on still. As long as your deity is supreme, killing others for their misguided worship is a-okay. :- )

TParty
TParty 08/10/12 - 07:58 am

Myfather-

"Thats why you have some many difference denominations of Christian Churches. Some MAN along the way, didn't like what he was being taught, so he formed HIS OWN CHURCH and VERSION of Christianity. It happens in almost every church to this day. I've seen numerous Churches break up because of EGO's within the Church and MEN having animosity with other members or the Pastor, so they leave and go to another Church or start their own."

I don't believe in god at all- but this here- what you wrote, is exactly the problem I have with religion. You summed it perfectly. Well done, I am golf clapping for you right now.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 08/10/12 - 08:01 am

nocnoc

Well then It looks like my GD butt is headed to the lake of fire.
What does one wear to the lake of fire?

faithson
faithson 08/10/12 - 08:20 am

Hear O Israel, the Lord our god, the Lord is One

This revelation from Moses to the people of Israel at Mt. Sinai was just that, a revelation about the 'singleness' of the God Moses knew and expected those 'Bedouins' to pray to. A revelation that put the beliefs in golden calf's and river god's to rest. Our Lord's revelation of a triune God of Love and Mercy was again a revelation that put the whole 'sacrifice' system to rest. The Muslim religion's revelation will be America, where many of it's basic tenets do not take hold, some of those being; church/state, women, jihad, exclusivity, inherent in the Allah belief. What is needed is patience on the part of all those who believe this 'end times' non sense. I always find it interesting how so many good people define their religion by all the rules that are in place, not the lives THEY LIVE.....

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/10/12 - 08:21 am

Thanks dstewartsr for this :)

Only click on this IF you have a sense of humor......if you don't & you know it---skip on by please...

boomhauer
boomhauer 08/10/12 - 08:32 am

Now a days there are so many

Now a days there are so many different factions of religion its just confusing to me...so I don't even bother with it. Yes I know there is a God and I choose to worship him in my own way (I was raised Baptist).

Allah..sorry not even a chance!

faithson
faithson 08/10/12 - 08:35 am

tparty

I don't know about 'God', but you seem to be a thinking man. Have you never sat beside a cool mountain stream, looked into a child's eyes, or felt your 'citizenship' with all mankind, only to 'think' that this time/space experience is an 'accident' ? First cause comes to mind, and any good philosopher logically must take ALL back to a singular event in time/space, a mystery for sure, but throwing the baby out with the bathwater by denial of A First Cause, an initiator, hobbles the depths to which our minds can go to understand ourselves and the experiences we are having. I would find it very hard to contemplate, truth, beauty and goodness, without the belief in an initiator. (triune or not)

bdittle
bdittle 08/10/12 - 08:46 am

ridiculousness interpretation

If you are implying that this Islamic statement is pitting Christianity against Islam, that is ridiculous. All the statement is saying is there is one God. Christians say the same thing. It sounds like the two religions are in agreement to me.

jusme
jusme 08/10/12 - 09:23 am

faithson

very nicely put.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 08/10/12 - 09:25 am

Amazing display of

Amazing display of tautological reasoning at 8:35, faithson. What do you contemplate when we you see the mass destruction and misery of natural disasters??

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 08/10/12 - 03:35 pm

Good comment, bdittle, and accurate

He's the God of Abraham for both the Christian and the Muslim. The difference is in how one manages to get into an eternity with Him. I have no doubt that the doorway to heaven is Jesus, just as He said He is. I also have no doubt that there will be a whole lot of people on the other side of that Doorway that we weren't expecting to see there.

"Doorway" is a figure of speech, an image to help us understand that we need to live our lives as Jesus did in the Incarnation. It also is an image that defines for us what His role is in making it possible for fallen, flawed, mean and selfish people to be forgiven and live forever with the Father.

While Christians believe Jesus paid for our sins and sent the Holy Spirit to us so that we could live and related to creation exactly as He did in the Incarnation, Muslims strive to live totally for Allah by following as perfectly and completely as possible the teachings, admonitions, prohibitions of their faith as written in the Koran. They believe their holy book contains everything necessary to achieve perfection and the heavenly afterlife. They just have to do the work to earn salvation, which is heretical doctrine for Christians because we believe that if earning salvation had been possible at all, there would have been no need for the Incarnation. We Christians don't really go for the idea that somehow Jesus' Passion, Death, Resurrection and Ascension were singular but optional historical anomalies.

That said, which of us can say that a life lived totally focused on pleasing Allah (aka the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob), does not in fact please Him? Which of us can say with any certainty that living one's life as an act of love for God, submitted to God's will insofar as one can discern that will, is not, in fact, the doorway to Jesus Himself?

I've never known or even heard of a person who sincerely sought God whom God did not come to, no matter how flawed their understanding of God's reality, the Truth.

Yep, I think a lot of us are in for some big surprises.

And I have to wonder what kind of person could object to this idea. If you think I'm inaccurate, please point it out.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 08/10/12 - 09:45 am

I can answer that, Palmetto @9:25

He concludes that those events show with clarity (for those with eyes and understanding) that we live in a fallen world that is beset by evil, evil that is personal and incarnational itself, and that fights against goodness and against humanity in every way possible, because evil hates God, His goodness and above all else, the humanity He sent His Son to rescue from that evil.

soapy_725
soapy_725 08/10/12 - 09:59 am

food for thought

God is simply a "man made word". An English word. Be it God or god. Generally it is associated with a "supernatural being" seen or unseen, tangible or not. We as humans give or assign power(s) to these unseen beings or visual idols. We also assign personal names as Lord of Host, Jehovah, Allah, Almighty God. The God of the Christian Bible said His name was I Am. The ever existing One. What we chose to believe about the "creator of the universe", a super natural power beyond our own power, is up to the individual.

Whether we believe that we are in need of forgiveness for disobedience is also a choice of a free will.

The "one, singular, teaching" that sets Christianity apart from all other "religions, faiths, cults, etc" is that in Christ's Redemptive Grace, manifested in His death of Calvary, do we have forgiveness and acceptance. A "gift of love" from Almighty God. Nothing to be earned., Nothing to be exchanged. Only accepted. All other beliefs are based on "balancing the scales" of good acts vs. bad acts. "Buying your salvation". Good works. You cannot buy salvation from the God of the Bible. Logically you would think human would opt for the free gift right. Human are to proud and to full of themselves. So they see a more "reasonable approach" to religion. Make it right for yourself. You can do it. Draw on that inner strength. You can be your own god.

The God of the Bible may be what we also refer to as Celestial Aliens. Super human inhabitants of a place in the sky? Our government is obsessed with aliens from out of our solar system. Our government portrays them as "a danger to human live". Beings that the average citizen cannot approach or understand. Therefore we must fear these malevolent beings. I don't think our government wants to deal with a Supreme Being and His Angels. The government is the "supreme being".

At some point in human life we will be faced with the prospect that we are not in control. Our own dying, losing a loved one or the loss of all we hold important. A life out of control. It is then, if not before, we must face the reality that there are forces more powerful that ourselves. Do we cry out for help? Do we seek the truth? Do we seek eternal salvation? The God of the Christian Bible say you can have "inner peace and life everlasting" if you simply and honestly accept His Son as your price for forgiveness. It is up to you?

Bizkit
21951
Bizkit 08/10/12 - 10:18 am

Actually Christ addressed the

Actually Christ addressed the coming divide of his Bride (the church). Basically stating anything that divides the church is false doctrine. Further in Revelations we see the Lamb return as a Lion and he addresses the divided churchs of what they did right and what they did wrong. The Triune thingy is a toughy, but the bible is consistent with the plural even during Genesis as "man made in "our' image. When Jacob physically fought with God, getting the better, till he struck him lame-it is believed he fought with Christ (as God has no physical body). I think people are often too literal with the bible and miss the point or information trying to be conveyed. Like the Story of Noah. Noah was resistent to say the least and there is story there. The flood is a metaphor to address how did mankind nearly go extinct (which is scientifically sound as it is believed all humanity nearly died off within the last 50,000 years and a "founder" population of less than 100 people repopulated earth. The story of Ruth was interesting becasue she was a gentile and not a jew. It is amazing at the misinformation related to the bible such people think sayings are in there and it isn't and vice versa. Translating from different languages is problematic too because some languages don't have words for an idea or posit. Amazingly many of these texts over 1000 years old are amazing preserved in content. I find that unbelievable. I doubt you could find any college text book without errors just from a single years new edition.

soapy_725
soapy_725 08/10/12 - 10:24 am

The practice of fasting

Different for different faiths. The Muslim fasting referred to and the implication of its piety need examination. Their fast being at the beginning of the day. Morning to evening twelve hours. They begin eating at sunset and continue to eat during the nighttime hours. Hence a daily fast. To the casual observer that they do not eat while fasting. Semantics.

Christians have "called days of fasting" that exclude just certain foods. Or just certain days. Public acknowledgments that "one is fasting" is not considered correct in the Bible. Fasting is to affect a "weakening of the body that the spirit may be strengthened as it reaches out to God for spiritual food.

People of all faiths "play with fasting" usually to be identified with piety.

We don't hear much anymore about going forty days with food to achieve spiritual strength.

Bizkit
21951
Bizkit 08/10/12 - 10:31 am

I would argue that Judaism,

I would argue that Judaism, Islam, and Christianity are descended from Abraham but they don't describe the same God. Both Judaism and Islam speak in monotheistic singular terms such anything else is blasphemy. The relationships of us with "God" is very different between the three. It is difficult to see they have any relationship. Which is odd for these memes-evolutionary replicators like Islam and Christianity in particular are traits (just like blue eyes) that are propagated ( both religions have as a central tenet to spread the word. I personally believe that spirituallity and religion was well established in modern man before they migrated out of Africa=evolution then modified them as the population expanded. Most religions have many parallels, but evolution has modified them as they have been passed through successive generations and time. The two most powerful replicator religions are Islam and Christianity and evolutionarily we can predict there will be an evolutionary arms race competing for believers=the two religions will inevitably bump heads.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/10/12 - 11:17 am

Trying Again

I see where someone took offense at my little "Oh God" humor and thought it was taking God's name in vain or something. Even the little joke from someone replying he bet that was an ephemeral "already" moment was removed so let me try again in an improved way. See if you like this better whoever removed it.

But nothing could be further from the truth that I was taking God's name in vain. It was humor that a preacher would have told in church. There are special ethereal moments where saying "Oh God" is the only possible words I could utter.

I mean I certainly couldn't say something scientific about the whole process like I was a biology professor or a nuclear scientist describing what happens to the outer level electron as it is shared with another atom.

I mean the moment is an earth shattering, nuclear reaction, biological die and come back to life moment. It's a volcano erupting, a nuclear bomb in the desert with the mushroom cloud going up and people watching with those dark glasses as the voluptuous fireball goes up, scintillating and palpitating, and saying oh God as the orange fireball explodes into a million God particles is the only possibly response.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 08/10/12 - 10:58 am

this just in....

On the whole "The" /"A" thing? A spokesman for the Jesus campaign held a press conference this morning in which he said he had just come from a meeting with Jesus. Jesus told him to say he definitely had been misquoted in the Bible, and that what he really said was he was "a" path to eternal life, not "The path." So sorry Mr. Thweatt! The spokesman says Jesus has frequently complained about how the Bible hasn't gotten something he said right, but Bible reporters have always gone a little overboard. The spokesman also quoted Jesus as saying the Rapture was an early campaign idea that seemed like a real vote getter, but recent push polls show is a non-starter so it will not be a party plank this time around. Finally, apparently Jesus is about to announce he supports Sunday alcohol sales in Columbia County, so the Good News keeps on coming!

OJP
OJP 08/10/12 - 11:07 am

Obvious answer

To Muslims, Jesus was merely a prophet. To Christians, he was God.

I seriously don't understand why believers in one religion don't get that believers of another religion (or non-believers) do not believe as they do. It's pretty basic, folks.

I'm sure Mr. Thweatt would understand if believers in the thousands of non-Christian gods started berating him about eternal damnation for not following their god.

OJP
OJP 08/10/12 - 11:11 am

@Fiat_Lux

No doubt? Honestly?

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 08/10/12 - 11:33 am

Yeah, OJP, honestly

No doubt.

Too many people with far more solid, orthodox knowledge about our faith and with more years practicing it believe the exact same thing.

In my observation, it is people who have less faith and trust in God's ability to sort out the sheep from the goats without our telling Him which is which who fall back on dogma, some of which is very suspect, instead of simply loving other people as we are commanded to do.

Bizkit
21951
Bizkit 08/10/12 - 11:41 am

Perhaps God is like dark

Perhaps God is like dark matter. It's there and responsible for the majority of matter in the universe-just we don't see it. LOL