Give Benedict a chance

I am writing about the upcoming District 2 Columbia County Commission election between Trey Allen and Lee Benedict.

I don’t know Trey Allen but, as a fellow educator, I know, work with and respect Lee Benedict. Unlike the incumbent, whose interface with the public I first witnessed at a very turbulent, overcrowded meeting regarding Magnolia Trace last December, Lee Benedict is not one to take an elected position for granted.

A family man as well as a combat veteran with impeccable conservative credentials, Lee brings common sense and compassion to the job as both a teacher and parent. A man of principle unafraid to voice his opinion on what is right vs. wrong, Lee is undeterred by controversy. He is honest and forthright in his dealings with all. A quick learner, Lee seeks and considers advice before making tough yet sound decisions, both personally and professionally.

As a retired Army officer who’s been responsible for millions of taxpayer dollars in funds and inventory, I have no doubt that he will safeguard our hard-earned tax dollars. Lee Benedict either will perform or require the appropriate and necessary research prior to voting on spending them.

A Columbia County taxpayer since our arrival here in 1993, I have seen the county under various commissioners and chairmen expand into quite a cosmopolitan community. Of course, our continually rising property taxes have fueled this expansion. Most of these projects were necessary and have benefitted all. Others were not and do not.

Given that many communities across the nation – largely because of fiscal irresponsibility and nonchalance on the part of elected leadership – are on the verge of bankruptcy, it is time for informed voters to hold politicians accountable. Lee Benedict, a current public servant, not only believes that but is asking for the privilege to have us hold him accountable. I will give him his chance. So should you.

Mark J. Dunn

Martinez

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 07/26/12 - 05:34 am
I tell you what.

I'll compromise with you and give eggs Benedict a chance.

Techfan
Techfan 07/26/12 - 06:53 am
Please support a serial

Please support a serial candidate who jumped aboard the "birther" train and is unable to read signs posted at polling places listing restrictions.

willie7
willie7 07/26/12 - 09:55 am
Trey Allen

Trey Allen will swamp Benedict .I predict Allen will win by a 3 to 1 margin .

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 07/26/12 - 06:46 pm
I'm

a "birther". Until obama "comes clean" about his past, I'll doubt every word he and his henchmen utter. Lefties, take my word for it, the massa promises to remember you when he returns to the "homeland".

moi
moi 07/26/12 - 08:42 pm
Combat Veteran?

As far as I know, Lee Benedict served in Kuwait prior to the invasion of Iraq. That hardly makes him a combat veteran. I served in Kuwait at both Camp Doha, and Camp Arifjan, and it does not make me a combat veteran either.

Lee Benedict
Lee Benedict 07/26/12 - 10:43 pm
moi, my unit arrived in

moi, my unit arrived in Kuwait in February 2003, and when OIF began, we were supporting the 11th SIG BDE and 3ID and scattered all over Iraq and Kuwait. If you were a member of the US armed forces and were in theater (be it Al Saleem, Arifjan, Doha...) during combat operations, you are a combat veteran, and, the minute the war began, all of us in theater were authorized to wear a combat patch. If you were in theater during combat operations and if your command told you that you are not a combat veteran, then your command made a huge error. Your DD214 should reflect your OEF/OIF participation. If you want to discuss this further as it appears as though you may not have received accurate information from your unit, I have contact information on my website and if you choose to use it, I will help however I can.

Census: Augusta young adults struggling

A new report shows that young adults in the area today are better educated and on average, earn more money than 30 years ago, but are far more likely to be unemployed, unmarried and living with ...