Actually, we did build that

Again I have been amazed by the words off the lips of our illustrious president. He loudly proclaimed that business owners do not deserve the credit for the success of their companies: “You didn’t build that.” I hear those words over and over in my head. As the owner and operator of a small business for more than 18 years, I take serious offense to those remarks.

Maybe he is giving credit to the highway system that my customers take to my door. Maybe it’s to the contractor who built my building. It even could be to the power company that hooked up my power meter. Maybe that is the assistance received by business owners such as me.

Looking back, I paid the contractor; Georgia Power sends a bill every month; and I pay sales tax, property tax, self employment tax, occupational tax and any other fees the government can dream up. Even in lean times, these must be paid before I receive a salary. These services come with a price tag; not one of them were provided without a fee.

President Obama is way out of touch with the business community. No one, other than a business owner, worries about how a decision affects their bottom line or mere survival. Neither Obama nor any of the others who agree with him have spent early mornings, late nights and weekends doing anything necessary to keep my business solvent. He doesn’t know what he is talking about.

I was raised by hard-working parents who taught my siblings and I that the road to success was through hard work. Neither the world, the people nor the government owes us anything. If you want something, you need to earn it.

This is another case of trying to bring the producers in this country down, all done under the guise of fairness. This is the United States of America, the land of opportunity. Those who choose not to take advantage of that opportunity should not be rewarded by punishing those who do.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/25/12 - 05:35 pm
Guess Who

Why is the ObamaMedia trying so terribly hard to spin Obama’s anti-business comments? Clearly it’s because they see that those comments hurt Obama. Obama went off script and opened a window into his anti-private sector philosophy and much of America saw what was really there.

The media invested quite a lot in Barack Obama in 2008. They fell in love with the narrative of the first black president of the United States, and they were determined to promote the story right up to the inauguration. Remember how overboard these people went? Newsweek magazine referred to him as “sort of a God,” While ABC news was telling us that Obama was so special, so amazing, that the Oval Office was actually a step DOWN for him. Now these media types full realize what a supreme failure Obama has been as president. But there’s more than Obama’s presidency at stake; there’s also media credibility. To the ObamaMedia, the election of Mitt Romney in November would be every bit as much of a repudiation of the media as it would be of Obama. After all, they put their full effort into his election, and they’ve continued to put their full effort into propping up his failed presidency. They eagerly bought into his “blame Bush” mantra. The continually attached the word “unexpectedly” to the month-after-month bad unemployment numbers – as if to say “With the incredible job Obama is doing, we’re entirely flummoxed at the newest employment numbers. What an unexpected surprise!” Now they feel their very credibility is at stake if Obama is defeated – so they’re fighting not only to save Obama’s presidency, but also to save media credibility.

That pretty much clears it up for you, doesn’t it?

eagle
eagle 07/25/12 - 06:21 pm
Bizkit...NOOOO!! I liked

Bizkit...NOOOO!! I liked Star Trek (the original series). Please don't throw them under the bus with Nobama.

carcraft
carcraft 07/25/12 - 08:11 pm
“There are a lot of wealthy,

“There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me, because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t -look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something – there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.
If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business. you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.” That is Obama’s quote. Now maybe it is people who are both smart and hardworking! LOL There are people who had great teachers, great opportunities, great intellect but never get off the ground, Why? It comes down to individual drive, ability, and hard work. Obama has spent billions on green energy businesses and the vast majority of them have failed because they depended on government connections and cash instead of spending the time understanding the market, pitfalls etc. Obama really believed if he trained workers in “green energy”, and funded businesses it would happen. Well it didn’t because Obama and his business buddies really don’t understand the market place, and limitations of the technology! If you are successful maybe it is because you did your home work! I ran a marathon once. I had a friend help set up the training program and run with me some. I read about carb loading etc. A proven training program had been worked out by someone else. But when it came time to run the distance either I had done my homework and ran the miles I needed or I hadn’t. NOBODY ELSE COULD DO THAT FOR ME! The help was nice but making the time and putting on my shoes to do the training on MY own initiative was what allowed me to succeed, teachers couldn’t do, motivators couldn’t do, training programs couldn’t do it, I had to tie the shoes each day and do it. Period!
There are millions of WOULD'AVE, COULD'AVE, and SHOULD'AVE in this world. Obama reinforces the point that "success has a million fathers but failure is a (place slang term for illegitimate child here)"!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/25/12 - 08:32 pm
Another One From You Guess Who

Now listen closely to Obama’s rhetoric as he tries to extricate himself from the “you didn’t build that” comment 12 days ago. Don’t just listen to his comments. Don’t just read over them with mild curiosity. Absorb them … digest them. He’s displaying an underlying philosophy with nearly every utterance – an underlying philosophy of anti-individualism. YOU didn’t build that! WE did! Just listen ….

I’ve told you before that liberalism is a philosophy of anti-individualism. It’s there if you just listen for it. Actions of the individual are diminished … “You didn’t build that!” … while actions of the collective are praised.

About 15 years ago I developed an interest in collecting quotes from liberals slamming the idea of individualism and praising the idea of the collective. I’m listing those quotes below. Read them .. and tell me whether or not in your mind you can hear these words coming from Barack Obama. If you can – and I certainly can – then maybe you will have a better understanding of the threat that this man poses to our Republic and to our freedoms and liberty.
•"The main plank in the National Socialist program is to abolish the liberalistic concept of the individual and the Marxist concept of humanity and to substitute for them the folk community, rooted in the soil and bound together by the bond of its common blood." (Adolph Hitler, quoted in Hitler, A Study in Tyranny, by Alan Bullock (Harper Collins, NY))

•"It is thus necessary that the individual should come to realize that his own ego is of no importance in comparison with the existence of his nation; that the position of the individual ego is conditioned solely by the interests of the nation as a whole ... that above all the unity of a nation's spirit and will are worth far more than the freedom of the spirit and will of an individual. .... This state of mind, which subordinates the interests of the ego to the conservation of the community, is really the first premise for every truly human culture .... we understand only the individual's capacity to make sacrifices for the community, for his fellow man." (Adolph Hitler, 1933)

•There is the great, silent, continuous struggle: the struggle between the State and the Individual; between the State which demands and the individual who attempts to evade such demands. Because the individual, left to himself, unless he be a saint or hero, always refuses to pay taxes, obey laws, or go to war. (Benito Mussolini)

•Fascist ethics begin ... with the acknowledgment that it is not the individual who confers a meaning upon society, but it is, instead, the existence of a human society which determines the human character of the individual. According to Fascism, a true, a great spiritual life cannot take place unless the State has risen to a position of pre-eminence in the world of man. The curtailment of liberty thus becomes justified at once, and this need of rising the State to its rightful position. (Mario Palmieri, "The Philosophy of Fascism" 1936)

•"Comrades! We must abolish the cult of the individual decisively, once and for all." (Nikita Khrushchev , February 25, 1956 20th Congress of the Communist Party)

•"All our lives we fought against exalting the individual, against the elevation of the single person, and long ago we were over and done with the business of a hero, and here it comes up again: the glorification of one personality. This is not good at all." (Vladimir Lenin, as quoted in "Not by Politics Alone.)

•“We must stop thinking of the individual and start thinking about what is best for society." (Hillary Clinton, 1993)

•"We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.” ..." (President Bill Clinton, USA Today, March 11, 1993, Page 2A)

And while we’re at it, I thought I would throw in just a few quotes that you would NEVER hear from the mouth of our Dear Ruler.
•"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." (Ayn Rand)

•When will the world learn that a million men are of no importance compared with one man? (Henry David Thoreau)

carcraft
carcraft 07/25/12 - 09:00 pm
Cobalt, Great post, how very

Cobalt, Great post, how very much like Obama!

TParty
TParty 07/25/12 - 09:29 pm
Myfather

I agree 100% with your 4:11 post.

I guess my problem is that I believe our government is of the people, by the people and for the people. So when we talk about how bad our government is, especially the politicians- what I hear is that WE are bad for putting them in office.

Think about the approval rating they have, and productivity they have- both very, very low. And yet what is the turn around for them going back into office!!! It's never our congress person that sucks- it's everyone else's. (My theory why that happens.)

KSL
KSL 07/26/12 - 12:02 am
I think Obama's words were

I think Obama's words were true............for himself and his background. Definitely not for others.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/26/12 - 12:12 am
He is an ideologue who has

He is an ideologue who has already made up his mind despite any new or better ideas."Fairness" and " cultural resources" trump everything. . Bill Clinton became an excellent president by his ability to adapt. Obama's rose colored glasses are so tinted he only sees rainbows. His ole school Chicago mafia style of politickin' is really old in this day. I think people have gotten wise to his deceptive style.

Black Jack SIGO
Black Jack SIGO 07/26/12 - 12:58 am
Sorry, Mr President

I saw my Dad build his business. He got nothing from the government. He paid his license fees, and his taxes, but it was him that took the risk with his time, his efforts and his finances to get his business to a self sustaining level. Plenty of others would have liked to attain what he did, but they didn't have the guts to try, or they did have the ability he did to keep the business going. In a few months, I will be trying my hand at it, and hopefully your policies and poor performance won't impede me too terribly much. That said, I will still succeed, because I got something from my father that many don't get from their's. I refuse to quit, I will keep trying and I won't blame others when I fail... I don't need you or the Federal Government to succeed, President O.

DMPerryJr
DMPerryJr 07/26/12 - 01:27 pm
I Think

That this story is about played out. The guy is a politician who, like some many others, stuck his foot in his mouth.

Anywaaaay: Who do y'all think is gonna win POTUS come Nov?

I can't stand Obama, but if I were a betting man, I'd put $20 on him to win. Just got that sinking feeling that he is going to win...and by a decent margin too.