Actually, we did build that

Again I have been amazed by the words off the lips of our illustrious president. He loudly proclaimed that business owners do not deserve the credit for the success of their companies: “You didn’t build that.” I hear those words over and over in my head. As the owner and operator of a small business for more than 18 years, I take serious offense to those remarks.

Maybe he is giving credit to the highway system that my customers take to my door. Maybe it’s to the contractor who built my building. It even could be to the power company that hooked up my power meter. Maybe that is the assistance received by business owners such as me.

Looking back, I paid the contractor; Georgia Power sends a bill every month; and I pay sales tax, property tax, self employment tax, occupational tax and any other fees the government can dream up. Even in lean times, these must be paid before I receive a salary. These services come with a price tag; not one of them were provided without a fee.

President Obama is way out of touch with the business community. No one, other than a business owner, worries about how a decision affects their bottom line or mere survival. Neither Obama nor any of the others who agree with him have spent early mornings, late nights and weekends doing anything necessary to keep my business solvent. He doesn’t know what he is talking about.

I was raised by hard-working parents who taught my siblings and I that the road to success was through hard work. Neither the world, the people nor the government owes us anything. If you want something, you need to earn it.

This is another case of trying to bring the producers in this country down, all done under the guise of fairness. This is the United States of America, the land of opportunity. Those who choose not to take advantage of that opportunity should not be rewarded by punishing those who do.

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 07/25/12 - 01:20 am
Is it just me or the does

Is it just me or the does this article contradict the title? Did you build it or did we built it?

In our me first society, the statemnet the President made makes no sense because most of them think like, "hey, I did it all, I want credit for doing it all", but most people dont realize, if no one consumed your service or items, would you be in business? So, someone had to help you; your customers helped build your business, but if you don't give them any credit, how could you have succeeded without them? Forget the taxes and the small business breaks, you worked hard to keep you consumers happy, yes, but they had to work hard to give you their money, so, just don't think your hard work is the only thing that is going on here. Give some other people credit too, or is that too hard for the me generation......

desertcat6
desertcat6 07/25/12 - 03:32 am
Okay, he build his business

Okay, he build his business and paid his part to have his local, state and national governments build, maintain or develop the infrastructure, provide law and order, protect from enemies foriegn and domestic, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty for our prosperity.

I for one am grateful for how well our governments have done at the national and state level considering the struggles and costs involved in some of our greatest engineering feats: Panama Canal, Hoover Dam, ALCAN Highway, Air, Space and Lunar Travel, Nuclear Power, Steam Power, Trans-Contenital Rail Road, Interstate Highway System, and River, Locks and Harbours. Unfortunately, we can't re-write history and make the government appear as some rich uncle doling out c-notes.

Our government had a huge part in all the above, but these projects weren't done on a whim or financed without tax dollars up front or to repay loans or bonds. In many cases there were known primary military benefits and secondary business benefits. The contract award process was less stringent, safety factors less controlled and graft more prevelant which led to shoddy work that had to be redone, numerous deaths, and extra expenses for the taxpayer.

Do the actions of the government in anyway lessen or cheapen the hard work, dedication, and drive of a person running their own business? No.

Should government workers, those serving the military, public servants, or contractorshired by governments feel they aren't contributing to the nation? No.

For the employed, that leaves those working for companies, contractors and small business. Nothing wrong with that either.

Wait, I forgot the elected officals who serve a term or at our pleasure. Please don't forget Mr President that taxes pay for everything you want to do eventually. Your salary, the upkeep on your house, your state dinners, your flights around the country, and your staff's salaries are paid by taxes not a line item on a budget. Taxes even pay to service our massive debt each year as we hit $5T for the fifth year in a row..

myfather15
myfather15 07/25/12 - 03:50 am
@Onlysaneoneleft; I see your

@Onlysaneoneleft; I see your point but disagree with you and this is coming from a non-business owner who is far from rich. I understand that small business owners should be thankful for their customers, thats true. But if I decide to create a business, I must think of ways of PLEASING people so they WILL come to my business. Many entrepreneurs didn't think that part through enough and have failed because they didn't draw customers in.

In that aspect, is it also the fault of the customers when the small business fails, right? No, its the fault of the owner for not coming up with a way to get business. Its not the customers who should get credit when a business succeeds. Business owners should be thankful, but what does that thanks require? Discounts? Rebates? Forced higher taxes? The discounts and rebates I agree with, thats a company showing their thanks using their own free will which is how it should be.

Let me try to give an example using wireless business. There are many different wireless companies whom I CAN CHOOSE to be a customer. I choose of my own free will to use Verizon. Why? Because I've had other providers and I didn't like them near as much. I perfectly content with the service Verizon provides me, so I give them my money every month. Yes, I could go with Tmobile, Boost or whoever I choose but I believe I get a better service through Verizon. Verizon has dedicated themselves to providing an outstanding service. Did I have something to do with that personally? No, I'm sure if I didn't give them my money, they would still provide a good service for those who do. Its the spirit of competition. You compete for customers and whoever provides the BEST SERVICE will usually win.

When I pay my taxes, I've help build those roads, bridges and pay those teachers. Should my thanks end there? Maybe not, but exactly what should a business owner do to show their thanks? If they should pay extra taxes, do you trust the Federal Government to fairly distribute that money to those who are deserving?? If you do, then thats explains all a person needs to know. Government is the absolute most irresponsible group of people on the planet. I actually wouldn't trust any of them to run a Toys-R-Us store for me. If they were running it for themselves, sure they would try to do a good job. But if it were my store, they would probably order thousands of Air Conditioning units to sell in the toy store. Thats how much sense they make. It just baffles me why people still trust the government with more and more of their tax money after all they have wasted.

A recent study came out saying that if we went back prior to 2008, and took all the bailout and tarp money that was wasted, the government could have given each citizen 500,000 dollars. That would have stimulated the economy 10 times more than all the bailouts and tarp. People would have been buying homes, cars, electronics, ect. It would have revived our economy. I'm not saying the should or shouldn't have done that and I'm not looking for a handout. I'm just saying that is how stupid our Federal government is. They spend trillions to stimulate the economy and it hasn't work.

carcraft
carcraft 07/25/12 - 04:37 am
Wabout the 50% of American

What about the 50% of American families that pay NO, REPEAT NO Federal income tax, should a business owner be forced to pay a special tax on products these people buy because they sure aren't paying to build the roads bridges etc? This is the type of garbage that comes out of Obumbler's mouth when he doesn't use a teleprompter! Now his press operatives are trying to walk it back saying he was talking about the roads and bridges. The ONLY problem with that is than he would have used the plural pronoun those instead of that...He is also saying it was taken out of context. Even worse because then you have to ask your self where did the money come from to build those things? Well the government only gets money by taking it from some one who earns it so maybe you didn't pay for it but your parents and grandparents did and you are paying to maintain it!

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/25/12 - 04:47 am
Yeh we built it!

We built it....we paid dearly for every road-gov. office-bridge-library-etc.........if you are 50 or older you know what came out of the ole back pocket FOR YEARS.....so why are we letting a few punks run the show....
Get rid of pc living....it is KILLING US.

nevertoolate
nevertoolate 07/25/12 - 05:37 am
SeenitB4

I'm 49 and I'm old enough to know what came out of "the ole back pocket"! LOL!

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 07/25/12 - 06:24 am
its not only what obumler

its not only what obumler said its the demeaning and sarcastic way he said it...in his eyes govt is god and hes the messiah...all things comes from this false god in his eyes.. so if its just teachers roads etc which tax payers paid for that ensures success...why is the attrition rate so high among new start ups...

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 07/25/12 - 06:25 am
Not worthy of debate

The president's words are so foolish that they are not worthy of debate so I will move to another thread.

southernguy08
southernguy08 07/25/12 - 06:49 am
BARACK'S ARROGANCE & INCOMPETENCE

Hey Barry, 4 years of failed "leadership" for America...yeah, you DID build that!

chascushman
chascushman 07/25/12 - 07:27 am
Carleton, well said, the

Carleton, well said, the idiot has never had a real job. But Obama is worse than dumb he is a very evil racist person.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 07/25/12 - 07:52 am
Mr. Rivers

you are to be highly commended for your efforts. The parasites ( of which obama, pelosi and reid rank highest) would have one believe they are God and created the Earth. The leaches have always been out there. In the 50's when the "red scare" permeated hollyweird and the nation, communists were actively organizing in communities with the intent of taking that which does not belong to them. Those same lefties are still out their disguised as the naacp, uaw, aclu, service employees union, mlbpa, nflpa, nbapa and any union. The hardworking small business owner has to put up with the likes of, for example, fire chief james who attacks a business like Gold Cross, yet can't apparently manage his own guvmint dept. The guvmint stands in obstruction more than leading the way, in Most instances. The ones who defend guvmint are the ones who live off of the guvmint, you and me.

OJP
OJP 07/25/12 - 08:35 am
Factually wrong.

Mr. Rivers: "He loudly proclaimed that business owners do not deserve the credit for the success of their companies."

Mr. Obama: "The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together."

There is nothing wrong with acknowledging that success does not exist in a vacuum. I'm a small business owner as well. I recognize that many factors contributed to my success and I give credit where it is due (that includes my parents and my fellow Americans).

If you take offense to these remarks, it is only because you have not read them in full.

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 07/25/12 - 08:36 am
"Our Dear Leader's" statement

"Our Dear Leader's" statement proves he knows absolutely NOTHING about business nor private enterprise. And what he DOES know is wrong!

avidreader
avidreader 07/25/12 - 10:13 am
I Agree With Carleton Duvall

Enough said! Mr. Rivers, your letter was written with a humble heart and genuine passion. You're a good man!

TParty
TParty 07/25/12 - 10:58 am
Myfather-

I agree with most of what you said, but I'll write some on where I don't.

I'm not sure where all this "Business need to thank everyone for their success" is coming from.

Everyone here is going to hate this, because it's a quote from a democrat, Elizabeth Warren, but she said “There is nobody in this country who got rich on their own. Nobody. You built a factory out there - good for you. But I want to be clear. You moved your goods to market on roads the rest of us paid for. You hired workers the rest of us paid to educate. You were safe in your factory because of police forces and fire forces that the rest of us paid for. You didn't have to worry that marauding bands would come and seize everything at your factory... Now look. You built a factory and it turned into something terrific or a great idea - God bless! Keep a hunk of it. But part of the underlying social contract is you take a hunk of that and pay forward for the next kid who comes along.”

I have those values myself- where I want to leave this place better than I found it, so our children can have better lives than us. To me- that requires investing. I doing well in America because people in the past and people in lives set things up for me to raise or fall on my own.

I agree with you when you say the Federal Government cannot run a Toys R Us, but I can't say "Government is the absolute most irresponsible group of people on the planet." Maybe you meant the people in congress and white house, which I agree with, but there are a lot of great people and things from the federal government that do well. Armed Forces being one that works. NASA is another.

Desertcat6 earlier gave some examples of government funded projects that we all benefit from, and we should all be proud of. That Hoover dam is impressive today, and that was built in the early 30's. Are we doing any of those kind of investments and projects here in America, or are we too busy trying to rebuild other nations, or give money to other countries like Obama did with his green energy projects?

Finally- rather this is a question- while you give a lot of credit to a company because of their customer care, it's because you have options to choose from. There are people I work with who have only one option for things like internet and cable, only one company in their area, which mean they always have problems. Does anyone know if that is because other companies just do not care about certain areas in Augusta and surrounding because their ROI is too low, or is the government too involved with permits and other things I have little knowledge about when a company wants to bring internet into a new area?

harley_52
harley_52 07/25/12 - 11:09 am
The President's words "you

The President's words "you didn't build that" were neither an unintentional gaff, on his part, nor were they "foolish" in the usual sense of the word. They were, instead, a small glimpse into his personal belief in the fundamental soundness of the theories espoused by Karl Marx.

Marx believed that "the rich" (he called them the bourgeoisie.) achieved their wealth by standing on the backs of, and the resultant exploitation of, the poor (aka the proletariat). His statement is simply the verbalization of that belief. The President is a Marxist. He is an anti-Capitalist. He believes, as does Marx, that Capitalism is an unfair, undesirable, and unsustainable economic system that is bound to fail when the poor, exploited proletariat finally rise up in revolution and take back the means of production from the rich bourgeoisie who have unjustly taken advantage of (and thereby stolen from) the working class.

Instead of ignoring, or dismissing, Obama's "gaff," we should learn from it, keep it fresh in the minds of voters, and take it for what it really was. An admission that Obama is a socialist and that he's working day and night to fuel the fires of discontent and derision in the minds of working class Americans against those evil "rich" who have cheated them.

blues550
blues550 07/25/12 - 11:17 am
WE the people

We THE people ARE THE government.

blues550
blues550 07/25/12 - 11:17 am
WE the people

We THE people ARE THE government.

TParty
TParty 07/25/12 - 11:18 am
"Somebody helped to create

"Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn't get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet."

It's obvious that Bill Gates, creator of Microsoft who pioneered the way for personal computers to enter our homes, and is clearly an amazing business man and human being- did not build the roads and bridges that we all use.

This Obama quote is being taken out of context, and it's not right. We didn't like it when liberals took Romney's quote of "I’m not concerned about the very poor" and ran with that. Be the change you want to see in the world, set the example, choose the harder right over the easier wrong.

TParty
TParty 07/25/12 - 11:22 am
Romney quote on this subject:

“You Olympians, however, know you didn’t get here solely on your own power. For most of you, loving parents, sisters or brothers, encouraged your hopes, coaches guided, communities built venues in order to organize competitions. All Olympians stand on the shoulders of those who lifted them. We’ve already cheered the Olympians, let’s also cheer the parents, coaches, and communities. All right! [pumps fist].”

Same thing Obama was trying to say.

faithson
faithson 07/25/12 - 11:28 am
parroting

a discussion is one thing... parroting the faux, rush, sean, etc... lines of 'talking points' is not discussion, it is regurgitating what one WANTS to hear. plenty of upchucking going on these days, on both sides.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/25/12 - 11:29 am
onlysane1left, desertcat6, myfather15, carcraft, ConservativeMan

There sure is nothing more I could post. You have all said it real good with facts and common sense.

Mr. Rivers, many will say you are wrong...but they will be the one's that unintelligent and are wrong.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/25/12 - 11:33 am
Add

harley_52 to the list.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 07/25/12 - 12:47 pm
Thumbs up to Mr. Rivers. I

Thumbs up to Mr. Rivers. I agree with avidreader..

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 07/25/12 - 01:01 pm
I am back in

spite of the fact that I said I was leaving. I am back because no one has interpreted what Mr. Obama said correctly. He did not mean that people were able to make a success out of a business because they had aunts, uncles, parents friends or neighbors that helped them. What he meant was without the help of the government they could not have been a success. He was appealing to the mindset of the younger crowd that he wants to look to Washington as their savior. Harley-52 touched on that subject as well as anyone so far. Obama wants the young who are very naive to believe that with his help,Obama , that they can be successful and only with Washington's help can they be successful. As Harley said the man is a Marxist. I reject the theories espoused by OJP and Tparty as they miss the point entirely. IMO.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 07/25/12 - 01:04 pm
faithson

and you are the only one with an original thought. Priceless!!!

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/25/12 - 02:18 pm
But everyone doesn't pay

But everyone doesn't pay equally for all the roads and services. Remember we have a progressive system so the small businesses and above pay more to that end, and nearly half don't pay any taxes. Yet all equally benefit-so it all comes out in the wash. The businesses not only build the economy but buck the infrastructure too. It's an idiotic argument to make such comparisons.

A central feature of the U.S. economy is the economic freedom afforded to the private sector by allowing the private sector to make the majority of economic decisions in determining the direction and scale of what the U.S. economy produces. This is enhanced by relatively low levels of regulation and government involvement,as well as a court system that generally protects property rights and enforces contracts. Today, the United States is home to 29.6 million small businesses, 30% of the world's millionaires, 40% of the world's billionaires, as well as 139 of the world's 500 largest companies.From its emergence as an independent nation, the United States has encouraged science and innovation. As a result, the United States has been the birthplace of 161 of Britannica's 321 Great Inventions, including items such as the airplane, internet, microchip, laser, cellphone, refrigerator, email, microwave, LCD and LED technology, air conditioning, assembly line, supermarket, bar code, electric motor, and ATM.
The bulk of America's GDP doesn't come from the 99% but the 1% so they foot the bill for govt paying for infrastructure and services, and build the economy, create jobs, innovation, etc.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/25/12 - 03:05 pm
I think Obama is more of a

I think Obama is more of a hybrid (like his ethnicity) of Machiavellian, Marxist, Alinsky, Mao-who really isn't all against capitalism but rather supports state-capitalism like China so he can redistribute the wealth and regulate the economy and culture. He is such an ideologue it makes him an idiot who shuns logic (like ignoring Simpson-Bowles or other posits). He is definitely manipulative and deceptive in a Machiavellian fashion. I think he must a smoked a joint laced with crack and it fried his brain watchin' Star Trek. Lost touch with reality. The Interceptor. For him to compare himself to Romney and talk about "experience" is comical.

myfather15
myfather15 07/25/12 - 03:11 pm
@TParty

I also don't disagree with what you and desertcat believe, I just believe it slightly different. Government has funded very amazing things, using OUR money. Government has no money of its own, period. Government took OUR money and paid brilliant engineers to draft plans and build that Hoover Dam and all great structures. Again, government didn't DO A DARN THING, they paid INDIVIDUAL human beings, OUR money to build these structures. Yes, as a veteran of the Marine Corps, I'm glad you corrected me. All government (military) aren't bad, its the politicians that I was talking about couldn't run a toy store.

Bruno
Bruno 07/25/12 - 03:55 pm
@OJP

Here is exactly what Obama said. " If you've got a business - you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen."

It would be different if he had said "you didn't build that all on your own" but that isn't what he said. Now he is back tracking and using "what I meant was..." in an attempt to tell us he didn't say what he actually said or more likely that we are too dumb to understand what he "actually" meant.
While it may be true that I avail myself of the roads etc. when I ship my product I(!) am the one that built my business. I had and have support from family and friends but they did not build my business nor would they have the audacity to attempt to say that they did.

Disc golf tournament benefits Augusta charity

APPLING — When Paul Childs runs a disc golf tournament, he wants it to mean something for the rest of the community. Childs he found a cause worth supporting: the Ronald McDonald House Charities.