Where's the responsibility?

I read all of the opinions in the July 15 Augusta Chronicle, and one thing all writers missed is personal responsibility.

Where is the personal responsibility in the First Friday incident? Where is the personal responsibility in the woman who lost her mother because of lack of health insurance? Where is the personal responsibility in voting? Where is the personal responsibility in the United Nations’ notion that the rich should help pay for poverty in Third World nations?

All of us in America have the same opportunity to advance and become a success. The decisions we make along the way of life with education, life plans and goals are our responsibility. It is not my responsibility to see that you succeed. It is my responsibility to see that I succeed. Don’t blame others because of your lack of responsibility or your lack of planning and success. It is not the government’s job to fix what you screwed up. At some point in time I would like someone to say, “I screwed up.”

specsta
specsta 07/24/12 - 12:38 am
Get Real

"All of us in America have the same opportunity to advance and become a success." Marvin Settle

Try being born poor, disabled and/or a minority and see if your words ring true. America is NOT an equal society with equal opportunities. Sorry to burst your bubble.

thinkforyourself
thinkforyourself 07/24/12 - 03:16 am
America is an Equal society.

Specsta get real!

Hate to burst your bubble....
I am a " minority", a woman, and was born into a family that had little money, but lots of love and determination. I grew up in a neighborhood where gangs would kill each other and sell drugs right outside my door. I went to a school, used my brain, worked my butt off to get into a great University and work hard in my profession. I took responsibility for my future and my parents took responsibility to raise me and be active in my life.

myfather15
myfather15 07/24/12 - 03:51 am
Specsta, you probably should

Specsta, you probably should ask Oprah Winfrey that question, she is probably an expert in that area since she was born dirt poor and a minority, unless I'm just confused somehow.

I was also born and raised poor. We lived in a single wide trailer growing up. I wore hand-me-down clothes from my cousins and others. My dad died when I was 12 from cancer therefore my mother raised me as a single parent from then on. She wasn't able to provide me with lots of materialistic things but she did give me the greatest gift she could have every given me; Honor, respect and integrity. She taught me to stand on my own two feet and work hard. I'm not rich my any means but I have plenty and more than some.

This Country doesn't need to be legislated through taxes to give to other Countries. We give of our own free will because we are compassionate. As I stated in another post, the United States has given over 500 million in relief to Haiti after the earthquake, the entire rest of the world hasn't given half that amount, look it up. This is the greatest Country on earth, period. I'm so sick of hearing people complain and complain about the US. Name another Country where you have more opportunities to succeed that here.

If a person doesn't like it here then why don't you move. Put your money and moving truck, where your mouth is. Prove that you don't like this Country by making a statement and denounce your citizenship. I recently heard a celebrity saying this Country was cursed and would never succeed because it was founded on "Stolen land". That's a funny statement coming from a person who still lives in this "stolen land" and has gotten rich off the people of this land. Again, if you truly believe this land is stolen and you completely disagree with it, why wouldn't you prove your words and leave this land. Stop supporting such a disgusting corrupt Country. Why won't they? Because they are hypocrites, they want to defame this Country while still living here and enjoying the wealth they've made off it.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/24/12 - 04:34 am
Yeh

I'm part Indian & want my land back...hahah
If you want something---work for it.....
think---Ray Charles---Oprah Winfrey.....& many others---it can be done.

nevertoolate
nevertoolate 07/24/12 - 06:22 am
Excuses, excuses....

Personal accountability...hmmmm......I like it! I'm tired of hearing excuses. Stop making excuses.

southernguy08
southernguy08 07/24/12 - 06:35 am
SPECSTA

I know its all George Bush's fault. I'd just like you to tell me how it is. Yeah, I'm laughing.

mikesaul
mikesaul 07/24/12 - 06:45 am
Yeah, the poor in this

Yeah, the poor in this country have NO opportunities, right?!? They just get free food, free housing, free healthcare, free utilities, free clothing, free primary education, free college tuition, free job training, free transportation, free cell phones, and, if they choose to work just the minimum required, free money from the rest of us! No opportunities there, are there?

Meanwhile, the rest of us have to worry about paying for food, paying for housing, paying for healthcare, paying for utilities, paying for clothing, paying for college (yes, we can, if we choose, send our kids public schools, just as I attended), getting a job to get OJT, paying for a car or bus/train fare, paying for cell phones, and all that BEFORE we end up paying our taxes, too!

Opportunities tend to be more plentiful when you DON'T have to think about ANYTHING else in life!

Angie H
Angie H 07/24/12 - 07:07 am
So you can't succeed if you

So you can't succeed if you are a minority? Well let's look at that.

According to the 2010 Census, for Augusta, Aiken, Allendale, and Barnwell, Blacks make up 52.3% of the population and Whites make up 42.0%. So, Specta, are you saying that White people don't have a chance to succeed in this area?

fedex227
fedex227 07/24/12 - 08:03 am
You guys have convinced me!

I'd much rather be a poor black person living in this country than an affluent white person. What the hell was I thinking? Come on - let's celebrate! Grab your free cell phones - let's call people!

Angie H
Angie H 07/24/12 - 08:08 am
fedex227....Which one

fedex227....Which one requires more hard work? Oh, I forgot. The rich get rich and stay rich by taking money from the poor. What was I thinking.

Only in the CSRA can you be in the MAJORITY and still benefit from Affirmative Action, simply because you are not white.

myfather15
myfather15 07/24/12 - 08:47 am
The "Free housing" part was

The "Free housing" part was never intended for people to move into government housing and live there the rest of their lives. The housing was intended to help people who were down, until they could pull themselves up by the "bootstraps", get back to work and afford their own place. Yet, as someone who has worked in those areas for 15 years, we constantly see the same people living there for year after year while making no good attempt to PULL THEMSELVES UP. The government dime is like crack, once you get on it, its extremely hard to get off. Human nature is to be lazy, and when people see they can be lazy and still feed their families, you get what we have now.

allhans
allhans 07/24/12 - 09:07 am
mike saul..You left off child

mike saul..You left off child care. After school and weekend childcare (FREE) - paid for by hardworking taxpayers.

allhans
allhans 07/24/12 - 09:11 am
Myfather 15..Good going this

Myfather 15..Good going this morning (as usual).

mikesaul
mikesaul 07/24/12 - 09:15 am
Yes, I did forget that! As

Yes, I did forget that! As well as the fact that those receiving the child care benefits have NO WORK REQUIREMENT! If you are not working, and making no attempt to do so, why do you even need child care services?

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/24/12 - 09:24 am
You're kidding...right?

'Try being born poor, disabled and/or a minority and see if your words ring true. America is NOT an equal society with equal opportunities."

Well, I've met and worked with way too many affluent people who were born dirt poor for that to be true. I have also met and worked with too many affluent minorities, many of whom were also born dirt poor, for THAT to be true. I guess the difference is that those people had some personal responsibility while the termnial welfare recipients think that they are MY responsibilty.

One of the biggest lies perpetrated on the American taxpayer is that all of these welfare programs are to "help" people that need it. The truth is that the vast majority of our money goes to people who are living off of the taxpayer because we are so stupid that we give it to them with little or no qualification, investigation, or oversight. Welfare should be more like our current prison systems.....difficult to get into and you get thrown out in a couple of months. We seem to have reversed our priorities. Jail sentences should be what lasts for decades. The "safety net" should only lasts a few months.

KSL
KSL 07/24/12 - 09:38 am
And being so-called poor

And being so-called poor should not be so comfy that people have no desire to better themselves. I read somewhere the other day that the freebies provided by government can be the equivalent of a tax free income of $40,000 for a family of 4.

KSL
KSL 07/24/12 - 09:40 am
mikesaul

I guess so you can get your nails done or go shopping.

mikesaul
mikesaul 07/24/12 - 09:56 am
Then I get in line at the

Then I get in line at the grocery, at the end of the month, behind Ms. poor and put upon and her 4-5 kids, with her EBT card and her cart loaded up with steaks, brand name colas, brand name sugar cereals, Starbuck's coffee, etc., I just wonder. Then I hear her remark that she "got to use it up, or I lose it" and I just get incensed! If they've made it to the end of the month with "leftovers", then they are receiving much more than they need, to begin with!

willie7
willie7 07/24/12 - 10:10 am
Mr.Settle, your letter is very cold

Mr. Settle, your letter is very cold. I wonder if your are a Christian and believe in Jesus Christ , who wouldn't written a letter like this.

allhans
allhans 07/24/12 - 11:30 am
Jesus Christ taught

Christ taught responsibility. What did HE say about a man who wouldn't take care of his own house?

Timothy 5:8

"5.8
But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel."

HE expected better of all of us. Help those in need, not those who desire what others have but refuse to work for it.
Just think, if all these "takers" (and yes, this includes all races) had gotten jobs and assumed responsibility for their family years ago, then we wouldn't now have this high number of people sitting back living off those who deserve better.

Angie H
Angie H 07/24/12 - 11:29 am
Amazing the people who try to

Amazing the people who try to use Jesus Christ as an excuse to expouse socialism. Jesus taught that we should help those who NEEDED help, not those who refuse to help themselves. I think the desire to use Christ as a weapon is just what liberals do, because, while a great many of them don't believe in him anyway, they know that a great many conservaties DO, and feel they can use it against them.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 07/24/12 - 01:31 pm
KSL wrote

Why would they want to work with that kind of tax free income. They are far from rich but they are certainly comfortable.

Where do I go to sign up?

David Parker
David Parker 07/24/12 - 01:32 pm
I don't get the premise of

I don't get the premise of the letter. I get it's tone but not the message. If the author is saying that they read the comments after the First Friday shooting and didn't see anyone sharing responsibility, i'm not sure Mr.Settles is looking in the right areas. I posted that I'm planning to go downtown more often despite the shooting. Is that not taking some responsibility toward a resolution? Maybe you just said you read the opnions but you really meant you acknowledge that people have an opinion. The two aren't the same. So........yeh

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/24/12 - 01:50 pm
"Now, if we could throw the

"Now, if we could throw the lazy poor, lazy minorities, lazy whites, and "disabled" drug junkies of all flavors who wallow in welfare out of the cradle to grave welfare system there would be a heck of a lot more money left over to take good care of the truly disabled and the elderly who really need the help."

One solution that conservatives don't like to hear is more FREE birth control for poor people. The more prevented pregnancies you have, the fewer fatherless sperm donors and future welfare queens you have. Personally, I think it is a great investment.

As for opportunity; people ( of ALL ethnicities) have arrived on America's shores for many decades virtually penniless, and turned opportunity into prosperity. Lazy Americans just don't have the will.

The poor here have a middle class standard of living compared to most of the rest of the world, and they are wealthy compared to some.

ya-ya
ya-ya 07/24/12 - 01:53 pm
Have you ever caught someone

Have you ever caught someone looking at you and shaking their head for no reason? Well this old "man" passed a few ladies and I while we were holding a voter registration drive and he kept looking over at us and shaking his head. He passed us going into the store, shook his head in disgust, came out the store, shook his head again and then even asked us "What is this, a family reunion?" although we had voter registration signs everywhere. It was quite comical because you could just see the disgust on his face! I wanted to ask him what his problem was but I figured that's what he expected me to do, go off, but I wouldn't give him the pleasure of stooping to his level. He even drove past us, slowed down, and shook his head again! The point of this is sometimes no matter what we do, in your eyes, we will never be good enough. I see it on this forum everyday, sometimes I comment and other times I don't bother because it's the same foolishness disguised cleverly, just on a different day.....The only difference is you hide behind a screen instead of a.....

ya-ya
ya-ya 07/24/12 - 01:56 pm
$40,000 a year...for a family of 4???

That's a joke! I know a family of 2 that struggles on that income and he is in the military

Angie H
Angie H 07/24/12 - 02:01 pm
There is already unlimited

There is already unlimited free birth control...how much more do you want?

Angie H
Angie H 07/24/12 - 02:16 pm
If you struggle on $40,000 a

If you struggle on $40,000 a year you need to learn to live in a budget. And an E-6 with over 10 years of service makes $39576 a year, which is more than I ever made when I served, and I got by fine.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 07/24/12 - 02:27 pm
Angie H

First, thanks for your service. Your country owes you a debt of gratitude. Secondly, you are one smart young lady. I have preached that concept to my children and grand children for years. Budgeting works.

Angie H
Angie H 07/24/12 - 02:29 pm
$40,000 a year is $19.23 an

$40,000 a year is $19.23 an hour. Not a bad wage.