Anderson gives of himself

As most folks know, Lee Anderson is running for Congress. From farming to political office, Lee has served Columbia County for many years while earning a reputation as a tough but fair person with roots seated in church, family and country. It is what lies beneath this persona that everyone doesn’t know – and that’s where my story begins.

I grew up with Lee Anderson near Harlem in the 1970s. While we were teenagers, folks at school started talking about a barbecue pit they went to on the weekends that had great food and an entertaining pitmaster who loved kids.

The pitmaster’s name was Homer Carpenter. “Homer’s pit” became the place to be on the weekends and after school.

In February 2011, I learned that Homer had fallen on hard times and was very sick. I also learned that Lee Anderson had given Homer a place to live.

I visited Homer and he told me that Lee had also organized a support team to get him to doctor’s appointments, deliver groceries, and spend time with him.

Homer said that without Lee he did not know what he would have done.

In May 2011, Homer went back into the hospital and passed away. At the funeral, Lee broke down, saying he wished he could have done more.

Lee taught me a valuable lesson about friendship and helping others. He helped someone in need and asked for nothing in return.

My purpose is to let you know about the person behind the politics. When Lee refers to himself as a “simple man,” he means there is nothing fancy about him. His beliefs are simple: faith, family and friendship. With all the complications in Washington, I’m ready for some “simple.” I can’t think of a better person representing us in Washington.

faithson
faithson 07/17/12 - 11:21 pm
yep...

worked with Lee in the early 90's. contracted him to move some dirt with his old bulldozer. Lee is a man of integrity. I loved his honesty. Our district would be remiss to not send to Washington a man of the people, who has 'spent' time with the people, southern accent and all.

faithson
faithson 07/17/12 - 11:25 pm
on another point

contracted with Mr. Allen in the early 90's... a fair and good businessman. but a man of the 'people'... if your membership at ACC is in order, yes. Now this other up and comer, his only merit I see is his service to our country, that is well and good, but having been in our community for only a year or so leaves his 'man of the people' credentials wanting.

Riverman1
81977
Riverman1 07/18/12 - 07:38 am
Faithson, Nice Comment About Lee, But...

Faithson, that was a nice comment about Lee, but the inference about McLeod only being in the community for a year or so is inaccurate. He grew up here, graduated from Westside, kept his ties and returned home after serving his country.

The amazing thing about McLeod is he went to UGA law school after getting out of the Navy and has built a very successful practice. Mrs. Charlie Norwood is one of his biggest supporters. He grew up next door to her. He is definitely one of us. But again, nice comments about Lee Anderson and the way he helped the man.

resident
resident 07/18/12 - 09:03 am
Comments

I have lived here for 16 years now and seen politicians come an go. I have seen only a handful that would take the time at an event or any time you saw them to stop and whole heartedly listen to what you have to say. Mr Norwood was one of them as was Mr Broun. I was very pleased to say that Mr Anderson is another that would listen basically take mental notes and actually answer not guessing what you said but quoting. HE literally dropped by my home the other day and we spoke again he was driving his own vehicle not some fancy cary but a Ford Pickup truck. I have sign in my yard and will vote for him because I feel he really does care enough to even follow up with a conversation we had during the July 4th Columbia County celebration. Thats what we need not hollow promises. We do not have to agree but follow through is true representation.

faithson
faithson 07/18/12 - 09:37 am
good point Riverman

Thanks for setting me straight on Mr. McLeod. I must admit the more I learn about this gentleman the more I like him. I just have a personal understanding of Lee and feel we need more of his 'home town' country point of view in Washington, although we still will be well served if Mr. McLeod gets the nod.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/18/12 - 04:17 pm
Personally, I have a few questions

Like, where do they each stand on issues such as abortion on demand, or DOMA or immigration?

There are lots of nice, smart, dedicated people, and they all three probably fall into those categories. Heck, McLeod's ad photos look just like the photos of my brothers, right down to the red acolyte cassocks. I just can't recall where he stands on issues anymore than I do the others.

For the sake of those who can't attend the debates or forums, each candidates should at least send letters to the editor or request "guest editorial" space, to elucidate their positions on the main issues that would fall under their purview.

How else do we have a clue about them? I've heard McLeod on the Austin Rhodes show a couple of times, and I was impressed. Unfortunately, driving home from work isn't the time for me to take notes and my memory is not always at my beck and call.

I'm a big fan of bulleted points displayed large in print.

LocalLawyer
LocalLawyer 07/18/12 - 11:40 pm
Good letter! It sounds like

Good letter! It sounds like we have two very good candidates here. I'm still voting for Wright, but I enjoyed reading this.