Choose Peebles for sheriff

We are into what we, as citizens of Richmond County, should consider the most important election we have held in years – that of sheriff. It will set the tone for our county and its success for years to come.

When businesses look to moving into new areas, they look for good schools, good local government, sound law enforcement and the overall quality of life. We have the opportunity to enhance the sound law enforcement factor of this equation, which will, in turn, enhance the overall quality of life. Hopefully, future elections will take care of the remaining factors.

While all the candidates have years of law enforcement experience, only one has the educational background, variety of experiences and proven leadership qualities necessary to lead one of the state’s largest sheriff’s departments. That candidate is Capt. Scott Peebles.

Capt. Peebles has the skills, the plans and the passion necessary to bring the department up to the level of law-abiding service to which all Richmond Countians are entitled. Please, if you have even an ounce of concern for the future of our county, ask for a Democratic ballot July 31 and vote for Scott Peebles.

Regardless of party preference, now is the time to do what is best for all of Richmond County, and the best for sheriff is Capt. Scott Peebles.

Riverman1 07/12/12 - 05:05 am
Deep Dishonesty

There is a deep dishonesty about Peebles’ campaign that permeates every move he makes. It's the reason other candidates with ties to the RCSO are so committed to running against him. He could learn from Mitt Romney who spoke to the NAACP and told them flat out he would cut entitlements to their boos. Stand up and run as what you are. Keep the same message no matter the crowd.

If you are a Republican say so. If you are a Democrat say so. Don’t play to whatever audience you are in front of. Peebles tells black voters, who are the majority in the county, he’s a Democrat, but when he speaks to whites, he gives them a wink about being a Democrat.

He brags about going to Obama’s inauguration and says he would have an Obama bumper sticker on his county car if he could. Deception.

The move of a few black officers from Waynesboro to falsely claim they were part of a national group endorsing him is more of the orchestrated race card play. Mitt Romney is not someone who is known to be forceful and direct, but he certainly was with the NAACP in contrast to Peebles and his tactics.

The other Democrats are true Democrats and at least telling the truth. The most courageous candidate is Freddie Sanders who says he would never purport to be a Democrat. He says he is a conservative Republican to all audiences and says he will enforce the law without discrimination. There’s something about honesty that appealed to some of the NCAAP crowd and I’m sure many blacks appreciate Sanders’ honesty in a Sheriff’s candidate.

Honesty is important in a Sheriff.

constituent
constituent 07/12/12 - 06:38 am
Why Augusta Chronicle only

Why Augusta Chronicle only printing letters endorsing Scott Pebbles? Is this the only candidate running for sheriff Scott Pebbles who is out of touch with the African American community.

Pumped Up Kicks
Pumped Up Kicks 07/12/12 - 09:05 am
If Silas is a "true democrat"

If Silas is a "true democrat" - since a commenter said ALL the other democrat candidates are - why would he need to "consider his options" on what ticket to run on?

From the AC article on March 13, 2012:
"Peebles will run on the Democratic ticket, but Silas said he is weighing his options.

Historically, the winner of the Democratic primary has gone on to win the general election in November, many times unopposed.

With several candidates running, however, Silas said he also is considering qualifying as a Republican, which could keep him in the race against whoever survives the primary in July.

“I haven’t made a decision yet,” Silas said."

Riverman1 07/12/12 - 09:28 am
PUK

One thing we do know is that Silas has been a lifelong Democrat and always voted as a Democrat.

Pumped Up Kicks
Pumped Up Kicks 07/12/12 - 10:33 am
My point is made

IF that was the case, why would he need to weigh his options?

Riverman1 07/12/12 - 12:05 pm
PUK, let me get this right about your point

Peebles has been challeged often about his claim to be a Democrat, but you want to critize Silas who once pondered changing parties, yet has always voted Democratic? Are we supposed to believe Peebles didn't even think of running as a Republican? If not he's worse than I thought.

Silas can look other Democrats in the eye and say he's one of them and always been one of them. At the same time he hasn't publicly supported Obama.

Peebles has voted as a Republican often and says he's an Obama supporter. He can't look ANYBODY in the eye.

Dudeness
Dudeness 07/12/12 - 12:18 pm
I felt that Peebles was at

I felt that Peebles was at least somewhat shady to start with and then I saw this on his website a while back (it's still there on the Voting Info page): "In order to vote in the Sheriff's Election (absentee or in person) you will need to ask for a Democratic Ballot. Failure to ask for the democratic ballot will prohibit you from properly voting in this election."

Apparently he wants me to believe that I can't vote in the race for Sheriff if I don't vote for Democrats.

janderson1945
janderson1945 07/12/12 - 02:30 pm
Peebles

My wife and I attended a couple of forums in order to make an informed decision. Although we are republicans and our friends who we went with are democrats, we all agree that it does not matter one iota what party a Sheriff is affiliated with and that it actually should be non-partisan. The decision was an easy one after reviewing the qualifications, education, backgrounds, experience and preparedness to be the next Sheriff of this large department. Captain Scott Peebles easily won us over and has earned out vote.

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/12/12 - 02:43 pm
janderson1945, I'm glad you

janderson1945, I'm glad you made that statement. I fail to see what difference it makes whether a sheriff is democrat or republican. I would hope that in his duties to enforce law and order, wouldn't depend on if he's a left or right, but that he is educated and qualified enough to perform the job as Sheriff.

Pumped Up Kicks
Pumped Up Kicks 07/12/12 - 03:23 pm
I didn't criticize anyone

I didn't criticize anyone, RM1. That's what you do. I pointed out a fact, with an article and Silas' own words to back it up. I did so because you continuously claim that Peebles is a dem in front of one group, and a repub in front of another. Which is something I have never seen him do. I am tired of you talking about Peebles like you know him because you clearly don't.

Scott Peebles is a man of integrity and is a fine law enforcement officer. He has done wonderful things in the RCSO and has been an outstanding investigator. You try to paint him in a bad light (even though you have stated that you were supporting him until Sanders got in the race) and I hope the readers of the AC realize that what you say isn't based on a single FACT. It's based on your OPINION of a candidate and hearsay about what he has said to whom.

Since you don't live in Richmond County, you won't be casting a ballot. I do......and my ballot will be cast for Scott Peebles.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 07/12/12 - 03:52 pm
JAnderson and ICL ... I

JAnderson and ICL ... I believe (and he will correct me if I am wrong) that everyone keeps missing the point behind what Riverman is trying to get across. It does not and should not matter the party affiliation of a Sheriffs candidate in any county, any state, anywhere, etc ... His issue is don't claim to all of the sudden be a Democrat to "appease" the demographic that you think would normally not vote for you when your voting record shows you to typically vote Republican.

Everyone keeps commenting back "What difference does it make if he's Democrat or Republican" but I don't believe anyone thinks that being a Democrat makes you any better suited to be a Sheriff than being a Republican or vice versa. Those values may role over into the Presidential race when you have conservative vs. liberal but not in a Sheriffs race.

Now ... Riverman feel free to correct me if I am mistaken your point.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 07/12/12 - 04:41 pm
Good afternoon my little

Good afternoon my little clever, mischievous sprite (aka PUK) :)

You know I don't live in RC either but I do work in RC and I still have family there so it is important to some of us on a different level other than WE live in RC.

And without a doubt even those of us who moved across the county line in any direction still have a love for the county that we were raised in.

The fact is no matter if you live in Evans, Martinez or Grovetown everyone born in Augusta was ORIGINALLY from Richmond County (as in born in University Hospital, Trinity fka St. Joseph Hospital, Doctors Hospital, MCG) ... lol ... you know that was funny.

Riverman1 07/12/12 - 05:47 pm
Reply to PUK

PUK said, "I am tired of you talking about Peebles..." I sowwwyyyy, but you are just going to have to learn to deal with it.

Now about it not mattering if you are Democrat or a Republican, I completey agree. It should be a nonpartisan election, but if you are going to promote the party label by backing Obama in order to gain black votes then it's another story. Run as an idependent if you don't want to run as a Republican or a Democrat. Man oh man, keep your truthfulness above everthing.

The three other Democrats have all been lifelong Dems. Not my thing, but more power to them for being honest. Freddie Sanders says he would never run as a Democrat because that party doesn't represent his beliefs. Do the right thing and get out of the race if you're not going to play with integrity. Times have changed and the conversion of Democrats to Republicans is complete.

Riverman1 07/12/12 - 05:10 pm
My Richmond County Connections

I have contributed to Richmond County political candidates in the past. Some of them frequent these boards. I work in Richmond County and my business was registered there for many years.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 11/07/12 - 04:59 am
Sorry can't go

I've been back and forth on this for months.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 07/12/12 - 06:39 pm
??

Did someone hijack Riverman1's screen name? The writing style and attitude don't seem the same as I remember from previous topics and posts. Anyway. So far the only ones in the sheriff's race I'm thinking good thoughts about are Scott Peebles and Freddie Sanders.

Riverman1 07/12/12 - 07:04 pm
Autumn Leaves, I'm curious

What attitude seems different than the usual Riverman to you? Writing style? Tis me, that's a fact, Jack.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 07/12/12 - 07:23 pm
River you didn't correct or

River you didn't correct or blast me for portraying what I believe your message is regarding Democratic vs. Republican status of a candidate ... so I guess I was dead on.

Riverman1 07/12/12 - 07:28 pm
Karen, Positively

Sure, I agree with what you said. I was basically rephrasing your comment.

Riverman1 07/12/12 - 07:55 pm
PUK Said

PUK said to me in regards to Peebles, "You try to paint him in a bad light (even though you have stated that you were supporting him until Sanders got in the race) and I hope the readers of the AC realize that what you say isn't based on a single FACT. It's based on your OPINION of a candidate and hearsay about what he has said to whom."

I point out his duplicity with the party label. I point out other things his campaign does wrong that have been in the news recently. I also talk to RCSO officers who tell me lots of things that I can't or don't think I should repeat here. I talk to the other candidates.

All three of the Democratic candidates, two RCSO officers, and Roundtree, the former RCSO now BOE officer, will tell you their last choice is Peebles. In contrast the officers I've talked with who don't want Peebles as Sheriff and all three candidates, to a man, will tell you they respect Ronnie Strength. Something's not right with Peebles.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 07/12/12 - 08:51 pm
Back in Salem ...

River please, please put it out there because EVERYONE thinks that I am your one and ONLY source of information. Because you, as many years as you have been reading and posting on the AC and in our area, are so naive that you would simply listen to ONE female that you have NEVER met in person, instead of forming your own opinion. I must possess some kind witchcraft like powers of pursuasion and put you under a spell! lol

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 07/12/12 - 09:40 pm
TruthBeTold74 said on another

TruthBeTold74 said on another article:

"Does anybody else find it weird that, according to his Campaign Expenditure Forms on ethics.ga.gov, Scott Peebles has paid 45% (Over $40,000) to a business owned and operated by his campaign manager? This same person just so happens to be the rumored next Chief Deputy if he wins the election. Plus if you look at the website for Executive Management Services they have absolutely nothing to do this type of stuff.
See ethics.ga.gov
3/27 $ 3,530.60
5/23 $ 8,380.14
6/3 $10,555.16
6/12 $ 6,822.96
6/29 $10,765.77

Pay me $10,000 a month and I’ll stand up to tell everybody how great you are too"

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 07/12/12 - 10:19 pm
Riverman1 07/13/12 - 05:01 am
Karen said, "River please,

Karen said, "River please, please put it out there because EVERYONE thinks that I am your one and ONLY source of information. Because you, as many years as you have been reading and posting on the AC and in our area, are so naive that you would simply listen to ONE female that you have NEVER met in person, instead of forming your own opinion."

Absolutely....I get info from many sources and have for many years. Not many of you remember, but I was the first one to point out Sue Burmeister was involved with Linda Schrenko. Austin disputes that because he had Frank Schrenko on his show a little later, but I had clearly pointed out the link in print in the forums. A certain paper was running an editorial praising her about that time. I found out early because of court info is my simple answer as to how I knew.

When people trust you to keep their info private and do the right thing they will talk to you. I know officers in the RCSO and two candidates who are a wealth of info. I have also emailed with someone who would surprise you. No ego here, but simply pointing out I don't rely on Karen for my info.

That's what I like about having a long time screen name and why I have to admit Sean has something on me when I act up with him. I would hate for Riverman to be banned. My veracity is known to readers and sources, but if I'm wrong I'll admit it.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 07/13/12 - 10:28 am
Haha ... I KNOW that's right

Haha ... I KNOW that's right RM! I begged you, played with words, tried to bait it out of you, made frequent guesses and literally harassed the hell out of you to give up ONE of your sources to me ... all to NO avail Mr. Lose Lips Sink Ships :(

But I am a tenatiously bullheaded person when I am trying to gain knowledge of something that I want to know ... ya HAVE to give me an A+ for effort :)

Riverman1 07/13/12 - 12:28 pm
Ha, Karen. Maybe the person

Ha, Karen. Maybe the person reads here and knows by your comments that I never divulged the email. Honestly, that's the only way to get people to trust you. Keep confidences.

Riverman1 07/13/12 - 06:00 pm
Hilarious Peebles Interview

Hilarious interview with Scott Peebles and AB. AB said Peebles was a Republican and Peebles had to correct him. Peebles also said he had met with the Waynesboro guys before their endosement using the name of the national group illegally. Funny stuff.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 07/13/12 - 06:10 pm
January 1, 2013 ... I think

January 1, 2013 ... I think this should be the date we shall in meet in person to have either a celebratory beer or drown our sorrows! No tequila shots though ... it makes me mean(er). Lol

Riverman1 07/13/12 - 08:10 pm
"No tequila shots though ...

"No tequila shots though ... it makes me mean(er)."

Impossible

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 07/13/12 - 10:21 pm
OK ... U talked me into

OK ... U talked me into tequila ... I'll bring the salt & lemons ... but the rule is we have to sit on the floor ... so make sure it's a clean place please :p