Roberts' ruling was genius

Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts is a genius. Suppose Roberts is not a wolf in sheep’s clothing. What if Roberts was looking at a far bigger picture than just this health-care bill? That far bigger picture is the survival of the republic as it was founded.

President Obama wishes the Constitution was not standing in the way of his “fundamentally transforming the United States of America.” Obama wants to “fundamentally transform” the greatest document and the greatest nation in the history of the world. Suppose Roberts saw that the only way to stop Obama’s agenda was to make sure Obama was defeated in November.

Obama and his brownshirts are dismantling this country piece by piece. Obama is able to hide this dismantling by dividing the country, pitting one group against another and using the blame game. For the first two years it was “blame George W. Bush.” When the Republicans won the House, then it became “blame Bush and the House Republicans.”

Suppose Roberts insisted that the only hope for the nation was to get rid of Obama. He decides that if he votes to strike down Obamacare it may jeopardize getting rid of Obama. Then, Obama and the complicit media could demonize Bush, House Republicans and those conservatives on the Supreme Court.

Can you imagine the mileage Obama could have gotten if Obamacare was struck down? I can hear Obama now: “You have two choices – our way, where we believe everyone should have a right to health care, or their way, where only the rich and privileged deserve health care.” This decision also would have energized Obama’s base. So Roberts decided that, with the election only four months away, why would he add that arrow to Obama’s quiver?

In voting to uphold Obamacare, Roberts has managed to energize this center-to-right country beyond the energy of the 2010 Republican landslides. Take notice that Roberts did not uphold Obamacare under the Commerce Clause. That could have led to future bad legislation using the Commerce Clause as the precedent.

By rewriting the bill calling funding of the mandate a tax, he sets no precedent. Congress already has authority to levy taxes. In Roberts’ decision, he also mentions upholding the decisions of the representatives sent by the electorate to represent them. I think this was a veiled message to the people. He was telling them that if you want Obamacare repealed, if you want government off your backs and if you want a reversal in course, then elect representatives who will do these things for you.

Pure genius!

fedex227
fedex227 07/06/12 - 11:15 pm
So you're making the case that ...

Justice Roberts is guilty of judicial activism? Hmm. This letter is ... genius.

TParty
TParty 07/07/12 - 02:07 am
So the theory is that the

So the theory is that the supreme court justice is playing politics, instead of ruling on the law? Is this the activism judging that we hate?

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/07/12 - 05:54 am
I agree with that statement..

He knows the law....& the law won.

Techfan
Techfan 07/07/12 - 06:40 am
Wow! Two references to the

Wow! Two references to the Sturmabteilung (SA) in 5 days. One by the AC editorial staff (in a quote from the Koch brother funded Center of the American Experiment), and now one by Mr. Waters. Either the writers have no clue what the real SA was, or they just like to throw out the term "brown shirt" because it's Nazi related and might scare people. The right has learned well from Ailes and Faux News: every comment must induce fear or infer a crisis, even if it must be fabricated. I'm sure we'll here much more of this propaganda leading into November.

carcraft
carcraft 07/07/12 - 06:43 am
Hmmm-Roberts rewrote the law,

Hmmm-Roberts rewrote the law, calling the penalty a tax to make it legal. I think he should have overturned it because the law never called it a tax. It seems to me Roberts cares more about what the New York Slimes says about him rather than what the Constitution says!

carcraft
carcraft 07/07/12 - 06:48 am
WOW Techfan is well versed in

WOW Techfan is well versed in all things NAZI, who knew? It does seem to me Obama had a Rham,or was that Rohm in his inner circle to!

Techfan
Techfan 07/07/12 - 07:36 am
WT?????? What the heck is

WT?????? What the heck is that comment supposed to mean? Yeah, I know a fair amount about all kinds of history, Nazi Germany included. Since I have a BA in History, that stands to reason. Is your comment supposed to be about Rahm Emanuel? Born to Jewish parents. His father was born in Jerusalem and was in the Irgun. About as far from Nazi as you can get. Try again.

skeptic griggsy
skeptic griggsy 07/07/12 - 08:08 am
Truth

Balderdash! Such wishful thinking won't stop us from re-electing Pres. Barack Hussein Obama!
He is overcoming the tragedy that Bush- Cheney quack economics did to the Union, and which Willard would revisit on it.
The present day know-thinking in their shirts of purple for their royal rejection of progress just ignore reality, preferring woo economics and false facts and bromides,
This man, I, find that with more education,some just can articulate in higher-flying verbiage that others just prattle in low brow language.
Techfan and others, thnk you for setting the record right!I hope that I'm not too ornate that I'm hard to fathom.

carcraft
carcraft 07/07/12 - 08:10 am
Techfan The lowezt

Techfan The lowezt

carcraft
carcraft 07/07/12 - 08:13 am
Techfan The lowest form of

Techfan The lowest form of humor, history major nurse true renaissance Man!

carcraft
carcraft 07/07/12 - 08:20 am
I'll ask my conservative

I'll ask my conservative friends the same question I ask the liberals who blather about the Nazis, when are we having a night of the long knives?

dade30906
dade30906 07/07/12 - 11:31 am
Chief Justice John Roberts,

Chief Justice John Roberts, who often has been a conservative voice on the Supreme Court, should be liked by Republicans. But after his decision to side with the Court's four liberal justices to uphold most of the Obamacare, he finds himself slightly more popular with Democrats.

Lori Davis
Lori Davis 07/07/12 - 11:35 am

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 07/07/12 - 11:51 am
Roberts no genius.

While I agree that this LTE will likely be the scenario played out after taking back the Senate and the White House, Roberts could have saved us all the trouble by ruling differently.
I believe he fell prey to the "wanting to be liked by the left" syndrome. Understand everyone.....they will NEVER like us. To them we are the enemy. They will never be happy until all independent thought and action are purged from our society. All for the "collective" remember?
They already have the poor and minorities on the "political plantation" now they are trying to do the same to conservatives...
My question is....Why do WE always have to compromise OUR beliefs and not them?
Techie, if you know history then you know the Rohm reference was to Ernst Rohm, one of Hitler's closest collaborators and head of the brown-shirted SA until the "night of the long knives" in '34 when he was murdered and the SS became the dominant wing of Hitlers private army.
Although clumsy, the reference is valid. Obama's "Rohm" was no doubt Rahm, as he was a very close advisor to this disaster of a president.He probably saw the writing on the wall very early on and decided to 'purge' himself back to Chicago where he will most certainly be joined by "Our Dear Ruler" on Jan. 21st,2013....

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/07/12 - 02:15 pm
It was an awful decision

It was an awful decision regardless of Robert's motivations, which I believe were motivated by his concern that if he struck down Obamacare the public might perceive that "his" court was partisan.

His decision gives the federal government the unlimited power to use taxes to force us to buy anything. If that is not what our founders intended, I fear the SCOTUS for saying it was and the results thereof. If it is what the founders intended, than I fear my government because we gave it too much power. Either way, I will live the rest of my days in fear of what the next group of nutcase knee jerk politicians who take control of congress and the white house will decide to force me into doing or buying by TAXING me, my children, and my grandchildren. They already force me to support people who do not deserve being supported, to support companies that do not deserve to still be in business, to support other countries that hate us, to support policies that I do not believe in. But those things were always debatable as a national policy. This thing about forcing me to buy ANYTHING is much to intrusive into my personal life.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 07/07/12 - 02:32 pm
georgy schwarz

better known as george soros is a Jew that started his empire by enslaving fellow Jews. "Cannibalism" of one's own society is extremely prevalent. obama wants to be on Mt. Rushmore. his political demise isn't possible because 90% of Americans are easily "cannibalized".

Techfan
Techfan 07/07/12 - 03:04 pm
"Techie, if you know history

"Techie, if you know history then you know the Rohm reference was to Ernst Rohm". I know who he was trying to come up with from the Nazis, however, he was trying to assiciate that with the Jewish Rahm Emanuel. That won't fly, and a feeble excuse to try doesn't work either. Neither do the "he's taxing me and my grandchildren and forcing me to support companies". Welcome to the real world. Forget about Blackwater, Halliburton, Bechtel, Lockheed Martin, ..........?Welcome to the club.

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 07/07/12 - 03:51 pm
Once more...

I'll say it yet again.......enjoy it while you can lefties because next year this thing WILL be repealed and all your bluster will be a faded memory.....

carcraft
carcraft 07/07/12 - 04:20 pm
Techfan A little touchy? Lol

Techfan A little touchy? Lol at least I haven't called him shrub yet!

Democrats target turnout for Sunday voting

Registered voters in Augusta-Richmond County can cast ballots in the Nov. 4 election from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday in the Advance Voting Center at Augusta Municipal Building, 530 Greene St.