Remember American values

Below is a document I titled “The American Creed,” which I wrote as a tribute to what my parents taught me as a young boy, and what we learned from the Founding Fathers. I believe it captures a vision for America, and it serves as a reminder of American values for all Americans on the Fourth of July:

• We believe in the dignity of the individual, who is endowed by the Creator with talents and skills to contribute to America’s exceptionalism.

• We believe in life, liberty and the pursuit of a quality of life that is not given but earned based on merit and performance.

• We believe in accepting responsibility for our actions and expect keeping the rewards of our labor so we can be free to take responsibility to help those in need.

• We believe in holding our representatives accountable for developing sound, American solutions based on constitutional governing principles.

• We believe the Creator endowed this nation with natural resources to be used to improve the quality of life of all Americans.

• We believe in clean, abundant and affordable energy to drive the nation’s economy and create jobs for all Americans.

• We believe in living within our means and demand that local, state and federal governments do the same.

• We believe in defending the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic.

• We believe that it is truly right and just and our duty to choose leaders who will foster these beliefs and who will unleash the limitless potential of all Americans to pursue the American dream and contribute to America’s greatness.

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 07/04/12 - 01:27 am
This looks like rather convenient theology

to me.

In the Old Testament, we are clearly mandated to be good stewards of our available respources.

In the New Testament, I seem to recall Jesus admonishing us to seek justice for the poor.

harley_52
harley_52 07/04/12 - 07:53 am
We do the "poor" no favors,

We do the "poor" no favors, nor any justice, by keeping them poor, helpless, dependent, and lacking in the confidence to make their own lives better.

The evidence abounds, yet some refuse to understand.

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/04/12 - 07:57 am
Doesn't look like theology at

Doesn't look like theology at all to me. Looks like a Creed and a damned good one. I like it a lot better than the Obama administration's taxpayer funded TV advertising creed of "c'mon down and get some free food stamps and free healthcare from the fools out there that are still working and paying the bills for you". I don't think I saw that "mandate" in the New Testament.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/04/12 - 09:01 am
American values use to be

American values use to be represented by people like Andy Griffith now it is people like Kim Kardashian. Man our values sure seem to have changed. Should be an exciting 4th-first I'm off to the conservative tea pary celebration of fireworks, bible verses, and patriotic songs (all paid for by the tea party), then off to the progressive celebration of defiling the American flag and final burning, verses from Dawkin's The God Delusion and Saul Alinsky, and fnally in true OWS fashion destroy something (all paid for by the tax payer).

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 07/04/12 - 02:43 pm

OJP
OJP 07/04/12 - 11:30 am
I agree with Jon Lester

Helping your fellow American in need is a core value in this country.

And that's even without a Christian element (which would undoubtedly make it a virtue).

eb97
eb97 07/04/12 - 12:39 pm
People have lost their faith

People have lost their faith in America due to the big bank bail-outs that was given to stimulate the housing market and instead it is killing it due to these big banks not giving the mortgages even to those with stellar credit because they can not make a killing like they use to make off of the mortgages.

harley_52
harley_52 07/04/12 - 01:16 pm
Core Values....

"Helping your fellow American in need is a core value in this country."

Very true.

That's what families, neighborhoods, and communities, churches, and charities are for.

The federal government forcibly taking money from one group of citizens to give it to another group doesn't demonstrate caring or charity, it demonstrates robbery, wastefulness, mismanagement, and class warfare.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 07/04/12 - 02:55 pm
Core Values

Harley, I agree. I read these kind of comments daily from our liberal posters but not once do I read where they give one red cent. The implication is that they want the government to take it away from taxpayers,run it through the waste mill, and then dole out what is left to its choice of recipients. I would rather choose who I give my money to which I do on a regular basis and would give more if I wasn't burdened with such wasteful taxes.

harley_52
harley_52 07/04/12 - 03:13 pm
I totally agree,

I totally agree, Carleton.

The lefties believe the federal government is a better steward of your money than you are, and better equipped to decide who (or what) should be the recipient of your charity as well.

OJP
OJP 07/04/12 - 03:33 pm
@harley_52

Charity is not reliable enough - if it were, why do we have a food stamps program? Why haven't, say, churches stepped up and taken care of the needy?

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 07/04/12 - 05:09 pm
Withdrawn

I have withdrawn this comment.

KSL
KSL 07/04/12 - 05:54 pm
I wish I had seen it first,

I wish I had seen it first, Carleton.

KSL
KSL 07/04/12 - 05:56 pm
Great letter.

Great letter.

KSL
KSL 07/04/12 - 06:10 pm
We have a foodstamp program

We have a foodstamp program to make people dependent. Years ago it was needed. There were a lot of people, especially seniors who either had not been covered by social security or had not paid into it long enough. Not so any more. Years ago there were not so many single moms------fewer divorces and definitely fewer out of wedlock births. Families helped each other. Remember The Waltons. Now because the government will do it, families won't do it.

KSL
KSL 07/04/12 - 06:27 pm
A growing number of people in

A growing number of people in America have Larry's values. I specifically remember a client I had in the 80's. She was an elderly black lady whose SS check was just over the cutoff for also getting SSI. Her income was low so she may have qualified for foodstamps. She was living in public housing.

I used to visit her every 3 months. During one of those visits she expressed frustration with her grandchildren's generation. She said that the teenaged girls could get pregnant and move out, be set up in their own homes instead of having to abide by their parents rules, all compliments of the government.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 07/04/12 - 06:30 pm
KSL

Sometimes I write things before I put my brain in gear. This is one of those times. I get real frustrated in dealing with people who just don't get it. They mean well but don't understand the realties of what is going on. As you know I grew up in the thirties during the depression. I have seen more than most of these young people will see combined. Welfare began in 1932 when I was seven years old. Before then families took care of their own. In the home that i grew up in there was ,in addition to what you would expect, my grandmother, an aunt and a cousin about my age. The only breadwinner was my uncle who reared me. We got along fine because we all pitched in. There were no unmarried mothers. That was unheard of in those days. It was so different from today where so many look to and expect help from the government. I am sick of it and the people who post here that think that is OK. Government help should only be a temporary fix, if at all.
We did not have it then so why do we need it now.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 07/04/12 - 06:56 pm
Bantana

Believe what you want. There is nothing that i can say that will change that. I can only refer to my last comment where people during the great depression made out until things really got bad and FDR had to establish welfare. Like most government programs, instead of doing away with it when the need was over, it was enhanced. Now, it has become so expensive it is one of the factors that has us in serious financial trouble. WE cannot sustain it much longer. I will not be around to see the end come but you probably will. For that, I am sorry.

KSL
KSL 07/04/12 - 06:59 pm
Bantana, genuine need may

Bantana, genuine need may refer to people who are homeless. Most of the rest have become like birds dependent on a bird feeder.

KSL
KSL 07/04/12 - 07:08 pm
I am and never will be

I am and never will be against temporary government assistance.
But please explain why we have a third generation living in public housing or with other assistance. Seems they are no longer taught to overcome and get out.

Of course, I do not refer to all. But far too many seem to rather work the system than to better themselves.

KSL
KSL 07/04/12 - 07:19 pm
And yes, taught is the word.

And yes, taught is the word. It should be taught at home.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 07/04/12 - 07:23 pm
Bantana

"ingrained bias" That is what have if I don't agree with you. BTW, I am not over sensitive about the spelling of my name but since it was sitting right there in front of you it would have been nice if you would have gotten at least one right. LOL

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 07/04/12 - 08:03 pm
Observation

When a country has forty nine percent of tax filers paying no federal taxes and gosh only knows how many are not even filing a return that country is headed for financial ruin. That is the case here in the good old US of A. I think you young people who want to then support a goodly number of people through welfare, food stamps etc. should be thinking to yourselves , when is this going to change? T he country is now over thirteen trillion dollars in debt and growing every day. Doesn't this concern you? It should. It concerns me and I am not going to be around long enough to pay the piper but most of you are. I would be telling that bunch of deadbeats to Get off their duffs and find a job. If they can't tell them to ask a Mexican how to find one. They know how. Oops, I forgot. The Mexicans will work hard and never complain. Our people have had it so good foR so long they don't know how to work.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 07/04/12 - 08:34 pm
Give a hand up, not a hand out.

@Jon Lester, Jesus also said, we will always have the poor among us. Wealth cannot be redistributed to eradicate poverty as Obama has stated over and over. That was nothing more than a lie to deceive the poor into empowering him and adding to his own financial wealth.

Jesus also taught about the difference of giving a man a fish, and teaching him to fish. The Apostle Paul, follower and teacher of Jesus Christ, said those who do not work, shall not eat. Jesus also admonished the Church and the family to care, love and support their own families who are in true need.

Jesus also said, not to have children outside of marriage. Jesus also said not to be unequally yoked....Jesus said a lot, we should listen to all of it.

Jesus worked, he was a carpenter. Paul worked, he was a tentmaker. I work, don't you? I give to my family, don't you? I support local charity, don't you? I give from my heart on the spur of the moment, when I see a legitimate need, don't you?

I just don't want the government taxing me out of my home and savings to support their version of help which mainly goes to the wrong sources. We are taxed and maxed out. Soon, it won't be worth the effort to work. Then what are we going to do?

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 07/05/12 - 05:54 am
Willow Bailey

I just got up and the first thing that I did was read you post. What a wondefull way to start my day.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 07/05/12 - 07:35 am
Good Morning Carleton. Thank

Good Morning Carleton. Thank you. You always make my day just thinking of you.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 07/05/12 - 09:14 am
Flatterry

Flattery will get you anywhere

Turkeys taste own medicine

I got up and out of my sickbed so I could write this column because it’s time for the annual Turkey of the Year awards, the highlight of the holiday season.