What's in a name anyway?

It is my understanding that a university is made up of several colleges. Also, the names currently recognized for two local institutions have been around for decades and longer, and are well known in and out of Georgia. Thus, why is there a naming controversy for the merged schools?

Augusta State University, with one of its schools being the former Medical College of Georgia, makes perfect sense and should placate those associated with both schools.

I believe this is what the Medical College of Virginia did when it was brought into Virginia Commonwealth University.

Besides, people call a school what they want, and a long descriptive name just doesn’t hack it. Example: Who knows Virginia Tech is really Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University?

Someone else can come up with the names of other schools under ASU, but just to feed the fire, I suggest the Arsenal College of Arts and the Bartram College of Science from the illustrious list of five.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/27/12 - 06:11 am
Perfectly said

Perfectly said. The Medical College of Georgia can be used and that may even placate some who never liked the GHSU name to start with. ASU with various colleges under it, including MCG. What's not to like?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/27/12 - 08:22 am
Question

At the new merged university can one obtain a degree (bachelor or master) in hospital administration? If so, will the hospital administration degree be awarded from Medical College of Georgia or from the Hull College of Business Administration?

Bizkit
Bizkit 06/27/12 - 12:36 pm
My question is how to

My question is how to integrate such a disparity in quality of the two schools. No offense but ASU isn't in the same league as GHSU in the biological sciences (research and quality of faculty, salaries, research infrastructure). Will they eliminate the ASU part and replace with GHSU faculty to save money? If I were a biology, pre-med, pre-dental student attending the school I'd rather have a seasoned professor at GHSU than the more novice educators at ASU, I would have a more prestigious letter of recommendation too, and already know faculty to influence post-grad work. I'd hate to put people out of work but seems an obvious way of saving is to reduce redundancy.

AugustaProf
AugustaProf 06/27/12 - 03:41 pm
Where?

Lamb, that question is one that is far more common than you think, as so many degrees and professions are cross-disciplinary. It is already an issue at ASU and doubtless will be greatly exacerbated with the merger despite there being very little overlap.

Wow Bizkit, "novice educators" is one of the most insulting and uninformed labels I've seen applied in these forums, but I'll shrug it off and attribute it to utter ignorance. GHSU essentially has no undergraduate program and thus few educators "seasoned" in this type of teaching. Especially for lower-level courses, the skills (and drive) required to teach undergraduates effectively are far removed from the those required to conduct academic/scientific/clinical research or to lead graduate seminars. It is, in fact, quite rare to find them combined effectively in a single person. All major research universities divide their faculty along research and teaching lines. Most assign the bulk of the undergraduate teaching load to graduate students and/or adjunct faculty. You may find some GHSU profs happy to take on upper level undergraduate courses, but I'd venture that most will prefer to stick to their graduate-level seminars, clinical work and research.

Exactly how this academic/research line is drawn at New U is yet to be determined, but rest assured that it will be. One would hope that the quality of teaching, small class sizes, and individual attention provided by ASU's very seasoned educators--something that ASU is well known for--will not be sacrificed.

Bizkit
Bizkit 06/27/12 - 04:04 pm
No offense Prof. its my

No offense Prof. its my Bizarro thing of satire. I appreciate the different goals of each (know very well in fact). I don't support the fusion of the schools because they have such different emphasis and goals-and financial pictures as the ASU biology faculty aren't in the same range as GHSU faculty. I don't understand why they are doing this as the goal of "savings" seems a farce-which is what I was saying to stir the pot. Sorry if you took the bait in the wrong way. I think people will over estimate the GHSU and under estimate ASU is my concern-and one of the points. You'd get it if you were a regular poster. It is my understanding that all Ga univesities are encouraging their faculty to pursue research to offset fed funding losses. I heard ASU was encouraging the same before the fusion???? I guess my real concern is you will be more insulted by the actions of fusing the two schools. Good luck because I don't see you have a strong advocate since your prez retired.

AugustaProf
AugustaProf 06/27/12 - 04:04 pm
College Names

Oh, and it's already the Katherine Reese Pamplin College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences. I like the idea of Bartram for the College of Science and Mathematics, although college and school naming is most often reserved for benefactors (i.e., Hull, Knox, Reese and Pamplin in the case of ASU). Same for buildings.