America is at a crossroads

The same message we hear over and over again is that everyone needs to be the same, paid the same, believe the same and tolerate whatever moral indiscretions that the imagination can experience. We must accept all religions as being true, loving and tolerant – except the faiths of Christians and Jews.

Is this the America immigrants want for their families? Is it the America we want for our families?

Somewhere from 1938, the faint echo of a man who blamed the Christians and Jews is suddenly sounding again, as our Neville Chamberlain in the White House tries to appease those who want freedom to expire. Who wants to hear “Raise the taxes! Full speed ahead”? We are not too big to fail.

We’ve come to a crossroads in America. Are we going to say “Banzai!” or “Geronimo!” in a suicidal attempt to force socialism on our nation? Are we so clueless that we’ll jump into any abyss and say we’re making progress? Are we in the middle of a mercy killing by selling out to China?

Let’s stop the mantra of “give everyone an entitlement.” Do we think we’re not like Greece, Italy, Spain or Portugal, so we can spend, spend, spend ourselves into oblivion? Who’s kidding whom?

Clifford Henning

Graniteville, S.C.

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 06/25/12 - 02:17 am
Show me an austerity success story,

and we'll talk. Meanwhile, it appears to be failing all over again, just as it has every other time in history when it's been attempted.

Are you willing to ask for real savings, by virtue of closing some of our roughly 1,000 foreign military bases? Has American militarism improved your lot in life to any noticeable degree?

carcraft
carcraft 06/25/12 - 04:35 am
Jon Lester I have nd you

Jon Lester I have nd you must not have been listening! Estonia is doing very well having bite the austerity bullet. http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-06-07/krugman-anti-austerity-jab-i...

Techfan
Techfan 06/25/12 - 05:43 am
Has it been 30 days already?

Has it been 30 days already?

jwarner6
jwarner6 06/25/12 - 05:46 am
The reason austerity measures are so difficult

is that once you have become so addicted to benefits such as early retirement with a full pension and cradle to grave entitlements, it is difficult to give these up. Therefore, politicians who attempt to implement stringent measures to balance respective budgets by reducing governmental spending are voted out which only delay the inevitable.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 06/25/12 - 05:53 am
carcraft

Good article. Thanks for sharing.

Techfan
Techfan 06/25/12 - 06:24 am
Apples to apples, oranges to

Apples to apples, oranges to oranges. Comparing a country that has a population less than 25% of the metro Atlanta area, with a standing military of around 5,000 people to the US? Not a very good comparison.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 06/25/12 - 06:47 am
Techfan

Good point. I submit, however, that there are certain principles that apply regardless of size. Financial austerity is one of them.

Techfan
Techfan 06/25/12 - 06:56 am
I would say, instead of

I would say, instead of austerity, not have a military budget that is almost 50% of the entire world's military expenditures.

Southern Leslie
Southern Leslie 06/25/12 - 07:20 am
I'm not sure I would put too

I'm not sure I would put too much stock in someone who claims that if you have reactor fuel, but have not yet assembled it into a reactor, that you have uranium that you "can't use."

Southern Leslie
Southern Leslie 06/25/12 - 07:21 am
"Show me an austerity success

"Show me an austerity success story, and we'll talk. "

How about you show us an austerity failure story.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 06/25/12 - 08:07 am
TECHFAN wrote

Do you realize how irresponsible that approach would be? If we did cut the military budget but kept spending at the pace we are now we would still be in deep trouble. Why can't you see that? Our military budget is less than 20% of our total budget. Entitlement spending is over 50%. and growing fast. Social security, Medicare, Medicaid, welfare and others have got to be put under control or we won't need a military.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 06/25/12 - 08:09 am
Jon Lester wrote

Has American militarism improved your lot in life to any noticeable degree?

YEP!!

johncapes
johncapes 06/25/12 - 08:15 am
Crossroads!

I would like to highly reconmmend The best seller "the Ameteur" the book will open your eyes to what is happening to Ameica! History is trying to repete itself, you can read this book. Score the election or read it later as a history book.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 06/25/12 - 08:24 am
johncapes

I appreciate your suggestion. I guess I am a little leery, however, as most writers have an agenda.

Southern Leslie
Southern Leslie 06/25/12 - 08:32 am
Funny how those who claim to

Funny how those who claim to love the freedom they have, are some of the first to want to scrap the very military that secures that freedom for them.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 06/25/12 - 08:50 am
our military is the best and

our military is the best and about the only legitimate expenditure that our federal govt is authorized to do..and yes its worth every dollar.but we can also wade out fraud in the budget..perhaps use the extra dollars that are wasted for the troops..no hitler toto stalin are good enough reasons that we paid for our military..

dichotomy
dichotomy 06/25/12 - 08:50 am
Jon Lester.......show me a

Jon Lester.......show me a country that doesn't cut spending when it's debt is greater than GDP that doesn't eventually get FORCED austerity.

"Has American militarism improved your lot in life to any noticeable degree?"

Absolutely. In fact, I believe American militarism is the only reason we still exist as a prosperous nation. Paying for the military and for physical infrastructure such as roads, bridges, and dams are about the only things that I don't resent being taxed to support.

burninater
burninater 06/25/12 - 09:01 am
Absolutely. In fact, I

---------
If spending a disproportionate amount on the military were the single guarantor of a country's prosperity, the Soviet Union would have never collapsed, and North Korea would be the most prosperous country on the planet.

Southern Leslie
Southern Leslie 06/25/12 - 09:41 am
Hmmmm...I wonder who said

Hmmmm...I wonder who said that spending alone was what made our military great....I better re-read the thread.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 06/25/12 - 09:43 am
Jon Lester

I might add that my service in the military during WWII as well as many others has made your life a heck of lot better. You will have to forgive me if I get a little touchy when you people find fault with a strong military. Maybe you should reflect on that a little before you make another comment. There is nothing worse than a p---ed off old man.

Southern Leslie
Southern Leslie 06/25/12 - 10:00 am
Mr Duvall....you got a thumbs

Mr Duvall....you got a thumbs down for serving your country. Isn't it amazing the things that some people disapprove of?

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 06/25/12 - 10:19 am
Southern Leslie

Yep,some people don't realize how fortunate they are.I guess it takes all kinds. I truly feel sorry for him/her.

allhans
allhans 06/25/12 - 10:42 am
Carleton...How can they when

Carleton...How can they when they are taught that all of those dollars spent should go to entitlements. That's what all this is about. They want what is "THEIRS".
This is what our ancestors brought on us and our generation hasn't helped.
Austerity..and NOW!!!

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 06/25/12 - 10:59 am
ALLHANS

Sadly, you are right.

ultrarnr
ultrarnr 06/25/12 - 11:19 am
Why austerity doesn't work

Great article on why austerity doesn't work. By a Nobel laureate no less

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 06/25/12 - 11:53 am
Austerity doesn't work

I have read the article by the Nobel laureat and he does say that austerity will not work but I must have missed what he said will work.His explanation of what caused the downturn is clear. His answer for a recovery is not. Frankly, I find it difficult to believe that one can spend himself out of debt. It just doesn't make sense.

Southern Leslie
Southern Leslie 06/25/12 - 11:48 am
Obama is a Nobel Peace prize

Obama is a Nobel Peace prize winner....and he's killed thousands!

ultrarnr
ultrarnr 06/25/12 - 12:37 pm
Difference

Do you realize there is a difference between a peace prize and one for economics?

Southern Leslie
Southern Leslie 06/25/12 - 12:57 pm
Yes.....but if one means

Yes.....but if one means nothing, why should we have respect for any of the Nobel Prizes?

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 06/25/12 - 01:08 pm
Peace prize

I think we all know the difference between Nobel prizes. The point being made is if Obama can win a Nobel for peace then there is not much to be said for the meaning for any Nobel. They have become a joke.

Smith case referred to Attorney General's office

A state probe into allegations former Augusta commissioner Donnie Smith moonlighted for a hospitality company while drawing his Georgia State Patrol salary will be reviewed by the state attorney ...