Religion, medicine don't mix

When was the last time anyone, male or female, went to a church, synagogue, mosque or legislators’ office for medical services? I hope the answer is never, since the inhabitants of those places have no expertise in medical services, with apologies to U.S. Rep. Paul Broun.

Why, then, are those whose expertise is in the metaphysics of religion dictating – to the exclusion of all else medically related – how female reproductive medical services are rendered? Why are white conservative Christian men – that is, allegedly Christian – telling women who may be Jewish, Islamic or atheist how they can or cannot deal with their reproductive health?

What’s next – the denial of scientific theory and condemnation of those who do not conform to conservative lifestyles? Oh, yeah, we’re already there.

David Robinson

Augusta

soldout
soldout 06/24/12 - 07:01 am
disagree

I don't know about religion but Chrisitainity and a relationship with Christ is great for your health and He took a beating so that we can be healed. Research has shown prayer does heal. Where is the connection between reproductive health and killing unborn babies. Once conceived the reproductive part is sort of done. Then it is a matter of letting the baby live or killing it which has nothing to do with reproductive rights but everything to do with the baby's rights.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 06/24/12 - 07:40 am
"Research has shown prayer

"Research has shown prayer does heal"???? Who did this research and where is the documentation proving such a statement? Your reasoning is flawed. I personally cannot tell you exactly when a new "life" begins, but I do realize there is a period between fertilization and when that mass of cells can start to survive on it's own. Whatever THAT time is.... would be my definition of when the new life starts and should be the cutoff for removing from the potential MOTHER'S body. This should be and possibly has been defined by the medical community already and not defined by any religion. Keep the religion in the Church and YOUR home or life.

dichotomy
dichotomy 06/24/12 - 11:16 am
"reproductive health"....a

"reproductive health"....a new misnomer invented by liberals. This is not about anyone interferring with reproductive health. This is about people being forced to pay for a woman's reproductive system management with our "productive money", which I resent, and also about people who have religious beliefs about "reproduction" being forced to pay for something that goes against their deepest religious beliefs. This is not about reproductive health, it is about reproductive management and I do not want to have to pay for your reproductive system management.

DMPerryJr
DMPerryJr 06/24/12 - 10:23 am
Sounds Like

Somebody just killed their baby and is trying to reconcile their guilt by blaming conservatives.

I'm not conservative and I think people who kill babies are pretty twisted.

carcraft
carcraft 06/24/12 - 02:00 pm
I really don't think I have

I really don't think I have read a more ignorant letter in my life! Multiple churchs in the area offer all sorts of "medical" services. The Church I attned has a parish nurse who does blood pressure screening clinics, diabitic care clinics, and helps with health care couseling. We, on occasion, have PSA samples drawn and we even had a Priest who is a very well thought of surgeon. Now if you want birth control added to your heath care plan don't work for the Catholic Church or it's agencies. This really isn't that hard and even the letter write should be able to understand that!

Jane18
Jane18 06/24/12 - 01:06 pm
Reproductive Medical Services???

What are you saying, Mr.Robinson? Carcraft, I said the very same thing to myself, after reading this man's letter. If it is not the most ignorant, it comes very close. Where in the world did that kind of thinking come from?

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 06/24/12 - 07:45 pm
Sounds like Mr. Robinson may

Sounds like Mr. Robinson may have just returned from the evenings festivies and had not yet had achieved equilibrim of his C2H5OH uptake.

KSL
KSL 06/24/12 - 09:27 pm
I don't profess to know

I don't profess to know exactly the points the letter writer was aiming at, but none the less there is truth in his thesis. Substitute Christian men for Sharia Muslims.

How about the one child limit in China or let's get rid of the female babies?

I may be crawling out on a limb, but I assumed he literally meant church services per se, not ancillary services for members such as health services or athletic or social or crisis or non-crisis counseling.

KSL
KSL 06/24/12 - 08:47 pm
The letter writer does not

The letter writer does not provide the headline.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/24/12 - 10:04 pm
Sincere, but misguided

I will be charitable and suggest that Mr. Robinson might be sincere, but he surely is misguided. It may be foolhardy to expect healing in a congressman's office, but there have been many healings effected in churches, synagogues, and mosques whenever a person truly asks God for medical healing.

Come to the springs of living water, Mr. Robinson, and you may be healed of your contempt, anger, and bitterness.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/24/12 - 10:11 pm
Bigotry?

Here is a curious question from Mr. Robinson:

Why are white conservative Christian men . . . . telling women who may be Jewish, Islamic or atheist how they can or cannot deal with their reproductive health?

I might ask Mr. Robinson, why are you bigoted against

whites

conservatives

Christians

males

?

galaxygrl
galaxygrl 06/24/12 - 10:28 pm
Religion and Medicine

There are many studies, doctors and hospitals that believe that your spirituality has an effect on your health, healing, pain management and many other things. There are medical schools that include it as part of their studies. While it may not be what is being discussed in the letter, regardless of "religion" it does indeed make a difference.

KSL
KSL 06/24/12 - 11:10 pm
Forgive me my long ago

Forgive me my long ago Northeastern education. Survival was live and let live. Imagine how it could have been to show up in the midst of the Ivy League, from GA in 1965. The most I suffered was having to repeat what I had stated just for their enjoyment of my southrrn accent or edification. I was never ridiculed for my southern speech or for views that all southerners were perceived to hold. It was an excellent experience that I thank my father for demanding is not the right description. More like making an offer I could not refuse. I am a better person for it. Thank goodness I did not choose to join Hilly at Wellsley.

KSL
KSL 06/24/12 - 11:17 pm
Of course

Of course your spirituality and religious beliefs play an enormous if not the overwhelming part. I'm just not certain we are reading what he was attemting to say correctly. I was simply giving him the benefit of the doubt because it was not clear.

sconservative
sconservative 06/25/12 - 08:38 am
You lie!

Obama in the SOTU viewed by at least a billion people stated that the PPACA would not force taxpayers to pay for abortions. Joe Wilson, who will be Aiken County's rep, correctly yelled "You lie!". It may be politically incorrect to call the POTUS a liar before 1B people, however Joe was totally correct. Others have read the bill now. We cannot keep people from sin. We can make sure that we don't pay for their sin.

Disc golf tournament benefits Augusta charity

APPLING — When Paul Childs runs a disc golf tournament, he wants it to mean something for the rest of the community. Childs he found a cause worth supporting: the Ronald McDonald House Charities.