No vulgarity

How much effort do teachers exert toward teaching young people not to litter, loiter and ride in booming cars?

Augusta has an ugly ghetto problem with these vulgar issues, and my school taxes do not seem to be helping eliminate these unnecessary chronic problems. Get a clue, teachers – even if you have to talk to your students daily.

Who else resents paying school taxes for inferior products?

Butch Palmer

Augusta

Techfan
Techfan 06/17/12 - 12:19 am
I didn't realize that

I didn't realize that littering, loitering, and car stereos (except for maybe how to install one in shop class) were in the curriculum.

roblever59
roblever59 06/17/12 - 06:24 am
These things should be taught

These things should be taught at home!

avidreader
avidreader 06/17/12 - 08:50 am
Whimsical Idea!

Butch, your sentiments are well-intended; however, if I preached "booming cars" and "loitering" to my students, I would be labeled a racist.

Harrisburg is a tough part of town, and I suggest you and Ms. Davis simply continue to fight the powers-that-be and leave the teachers out of this one. And I say this with all due respect to you as a champion of Crawford Avenue. You have substance and a strong will to protect your historical neighborhood.

I do preach honor and respect on a daily basis, but many of our kids do not find it disrespectful to blare their distasteful music or hang out on Tuttle Street with a forty-ounce in a brown bag.

Mama's got to tackle this dilemma. Ha!

dichotomy
dichotomy 06/17/12 - 09:17 am
Butch, I think most of those

Butch, I think most of those things need to be taught by parents, but reinforced by teachers. I'd be happy if our local teachers could manage to teach them how to read, write, do basic math, and speak some understandable dialect of English while controlling them enough to keep them from smoking dope, having sex, assaulting teachers, and fighting in the classrooms. That is what causes my resentment of paying school taxes and education SPLOSTs. I feel like I am forced to financially support a diploma mill, which is what our public schools have become. I know I should be concerned about offending our local educators, administrators, and BOE, but I figure the worst they can do to me is give me the opportunity to attend Tubman Alternative. And from what I read, once you get down there you can act up mouth off all you want and they punish you by sentencing you to where you already are. Those T-shirts and window decals our kids display that say "No Fear"......they mean "No Fear of ever being punished for anything".

cityman
cityman 06/17/12 - 12:04 pm
Back when I was in school

Back when I was in school there was a subject called CIVICS which taught the way government works ...how cities are run and it gave students awareness of their role/place in the system. Teachers reminded us to deposit trash into waste cans and there was class discussion.

Students need to know that local property owners are paying towards their educations. They need to be taught respect for the homeowners who pay these taxes and for fellow citizens. Schools are a good opportunity to reinforce this valuable information.

Are teachers not doing this in Richmond County schools ?

Patty-P
Patty-P 06/17/12 - 03:07 pm
School taxes shouldn't pay

School taxes shouldn't pay teachers to 'teach young people not to litter, loiter and ride in booming cars.' That's called 'Home Training.'

KSL
KSL 06/17/12 - 06:11 pm
No, they should not have to

No, they should not have to teach it in school, but it should be enforced on school grounds.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 06/17/12 - 07:41 pm
This belongs more in Rants & Raves..

I would venture Butch has no children of his own or he would know these are parental duties. And also though parents or teachers may influence; a lot of children are led by their peer groups and culture, contrary to what the adults in their lives are teaching. Law enforcement could also make charges.

Patty-P
Patty-P 06/17/12 - 09:01 pm
Once again Willow nails it.

Once again Willow nails it. Culture is everything. So is peer pressure and parents that may have the very same bad habits.

cityman
cityman 06/18/12 - 12:03 am
I agree with Mr. Palmer. I

I agree with Mr. Palmer. I too resent paying taxes when I see the fruits of public education. Teachers may not be able to get Algebra across to Johnny but they should be able to encourage Johnny not to litter and to be a better citizen!

DDoman
DDoman 06/19/12 - 01:17 pm
School taxes for inferior products?

I am always amazed at what people think the school and teachers
are responsible for in regards to their child's up-bringing..
Since when is the child taught manners ( thank you,no sir,no mam,etc.)no littering,loitering,dressing inappropriate and other facets of proper behavior in our society by a school teacher ??This is the responsibility of the parents to teach their children how to act and behave in our society.
Teachers are there to teach and influence ideas, to create a disciplined learning environment which is very difficult when children are disruptive and have no respect for authority or their classmates..
" RESPECT" is taught at home..From my earliest childhood days my
brothers and I were taught to respect our elders ,always please and thank you,no sir,etc..Be polite to everyone, you never knew who might tell your parents you behaved badly..Never, ever mis-behave in school because a note or phone call from the school would seem like a death warrant to you.
Now, it seems that parents believe it is the school system's responsibility to feed and raise their child..My mother fed us our breakfast before she went to work and sent us to school..She paid for our school lunch or we brown bagged it depending on our needs..Supper on the table within the hour she came
home from work..No TV till our home work was done and we loved and
respected her even if it seemed harsh at the time.
So if someone resents paying taxes for inferior products such as your
children remember you made them what they are, not the school system.
They are defective by your own design because you had years to influence their behavior before the school system received them.