But consider the following statements President Obama made when he was candidate Obama. And please correct me if any of these are incorrect and then provide what he actually said.
• He promised 100-percent transparency in his administration.
• He promised no new taxes on a family making less than $250,000 a year.
• He promised to allow five days of public comment before signing any bills.
• He promised to remove earmarks from pork projects before signing any bill.
• He promised to end income tax for seniors making less than $50,000 a year.
• He promised to bring all of our troops home within one year.
• He promised to put health-care negotiations on C-SPAN so everyone could see who is at the table.
• He promised to have no lobbyists in his administration.
• He promised to close Guantanamo.
• He promised to resign if he didn’t cut the deficit in half by the end of four years.
• He promised to unite the people of this country.
As a candidate, he made statements that sounded great, but as president he has come up short on most of these. The reality of how Washington, D.C., really works does not mesh with the idealism he may have had when he was a candidate. Or did he just say what people wanted to hear, and everything was a lie?
You be the judge.
George J. Weber