Did he keep any promises?

President Obama has become just another politician who will say what people want to hear. If you are against him, you will believe nothing he says. If you are for him, you might quickly attack his detractors with name calling and scripted talking points.

But consider the following statements President Obama made when he was candidate Obama. And please correct me if any of these are incorrect and then provide what he actually said.

• He promised 100-percent transparency in his administration.

• He promised no new taxes on a family making less than $250,000 a year.

• He promised to allow five days of public comment before signing any bills.

• He promised to remove earmarks from pork projects before signing any bill.

• He promised to end income tax for seniors making less than $50,000 a year.

• He promised to bring all of our troops home within one year.

• He promised to put health-care negotiations on C-SPAN so everyone could see who is at the table.

• He promised to have no lobbyists in his administration.

• He promised to close Guantanamo.

• He promised to resign if he didn’t cut the deficit in half by the end of four years.

• He promised to unite the people of this country.

As a candidate, he made statements that sounded great, but as president he has come up short on most of these. The reality of how Washington, D.C., really works does not mesh with the idealism he may have had when he was a candidate. Or did he just say what people wanted to hear, and everything was a lie?

You be the judge.

George J. Weber

Augusta

dichotomy
dichotomy 06/15/12 - 11:19 pm
He is a politician George. By

He is a politician George. By definition if his mouth is moving he is lying. That goes for all of them. We are left with the choice of voting for whoever we think will do the least harm. Sometimes we have to chose between a guy we suspect might be lying about what he will do as opposed to guy we have observed for 4 years and are sure he is lying. Me, I'm voting against the guy I know for a fact has been lying.

Insider Information
Insider Information 06/15/12 - 11:30 pm
Promise kept

He promised to fundamentally change American, and he did.

- We no longer have three branches of government. He blasted the Supreme Court for even considering ruling against Obamacare and he has mocked Congress (i.e. refusing to defend DOMA, creating new immigration law, etc.)

- He took America from two wars to more. See Lybia, the Cyber war with Iran and the increasing hostilities with China and Russia.

- The Government now owns most of the banks and most of the auto industry.

- The Government can make you give your money to a private business (i.e. insurance mandate).

- Capitalism and freedom of religion are relics of the past.

Promise kept.

Retired Army
Retired Army 06/15/12 - 11:30 pm
dichotomy writes:

"Me, I'm voting against the guy I know for a fact has been lying."

Another former Romney voter has seen the light. There is an Allah!

copperhead
copperhead 06/15/12 - 11:34 pm
RA,you have yet to cite lies

Retired Army
Retired Army 06/16/12 - 12:30 am
Copperhead Writes:

"RA,you have yet to cite lies that fox news has reported. Always thought you were muslim,thanks!"

You think?

Retired Army
Retired Army 06/16/12 - 12:42 am
Copperhead, Fox Lies

In a matter of minutes:

Each and every one documented by their own statements. Or as our boy Johnny might well have said "Hoisted On Their Own Petard".

Now, let's hear the amusing little "I wouldn't believe that source because their facts don't meet my opinions" arguement so many are in favor of.

The American people have many more sources y'know.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/16/12 - 01:47 am
Bill Clinton

Bill Clinton, in a 2010 speech, intimated that if the economy had not gotten much better by 2012, rational voters should vote Obama out of office. Look it up.

myfather15
myfather15 06/16/12 - 04:50 am
What Obama did to the

What Obama did to the American people yesterday is disgusting. There is no other way to put it. He gave amnesty to people who have no followed the rules. Tried to say its all about opportunity for the children to have better lives, yet the bill covers anyone up to 30 years old and thats not children. I believe in immigration because that is indeed what this Country is founded on. Yet, I don't believe in illegal immigration where people abuse the system. Undocumented workers living and working but not paying income tax, yet receiving free health care. Trust me, I work very closely with our local emergency rooms. Illegal immigrants use them as their primary care doctors and rarely pay the bills. Who is footing this bill? You and I. I'm sick to my stomach to hear what the POTUS said yesterday.

myfather15
myfather15 06/16/12 - 04:54 am
I did want to add that I was

I did want to add that I was very uncomfortable with what the reporter from the Daily Caller did though. That was extremely disrespectful to ANY President. Let Him finish, then hit him with hard questions (if he will not walk away). I probably would have walked away myself after being treated with such disrespect. I disagree with this President on just about everything but we teach our children to respect people. What that reported did was beyond disrespect. You don't interupt the President while he is speaking. If you allow it to a democratic President, you must allow it to ANY President, and it just isn't right. That reporter shouldn't be allow anywhere near the White House again.

desertcat6
desertcat6 06/16/12 - 04:56 am
Thought this letter was about

Thought this letter was about the change promised but not delivered by our current President. Funny that it degrades to lying networks without some unbiased side by side comparrisons that might show the real story. The liberal press has had its share of false reporting and fabrications too. Back to point, President Obama promised to change how business was done in DC via the power invested primarily in the Executive Branch - most on the LTE's list where within his power to do. He did not.

Techfan
Techfan 06/16/12 - 06:47 am
Thumbs down to facts!!!

Thumbs down to facts!!!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/16/12 - 07:17 am
The Key

"And please correct me if any of these are incorrect and then provide what he actually said."

Like RA says .... go to www.democratichub.com. They have the truth....yea Right!

southernguy08
southernguy08 06/16/12 - 07:18 am
OBAMA SUPPORTERS

Watching these mind numb robots actually try to defend him is amusing. They can't debate his dismal record for the past 3 1/2 years, so they have to divert attention to Romney and how he transported his dog by putting him on a carrier on top of his car. Or when he was in high school, supposedly, he and some of his friends "bullied" another kid, probably because they suspected him of being gay. Well Obama supporters, from your incompetent leader's own recent actions like suddenly coming out for same sex marriage and telling young "undocumented" aliens that they won't be deported, your guy is worried. This, and you guys trying to defend the incompetent-in-chief is more entertaining than watching cable. Yeah, I'm laughing!

desertcat6
desertcat6 06/16/12 - 07:20 am
TECHFAN, Your facts confirmed

TECHFAN, Your facts confirmed the promises in the LTE were broken, but you bring up a good point. Politicians do promise a lot. I seem to recall some of President Obama's promises more than others. I know he made some over and over - many in this LTE. Many of his touted promises kept seem very PAC/donor group specific vice general stump speech.

owensjef3
owensjef3 06/16/12 - 07:25 am
Why would anyone give

Why would anyone give myfather a thumbs down for his 0454 comment.

Techfan
Techfan 06/16/12 - 07:33 am
There are obviously trolls

There are obviously trolls who give a thumbs down to certain posters no matter what they say. I gave a post of something like, "It looks like rain." Within minutes, a thumbs down. One of the problems with the new AC system.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/16/12 - 07:33 am
owensjef3

For you information, that was me. I agree 100% with his 04:50 but to agree to respect a president that is destroying America and will .... hell no!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/16/12 - 07:34 am
Techfan
Techfan 06/16/12 - 07:38 am
Destroying America? What can

Destroying America? What can you say? Disagreeing with the policies of the President evidently transports some to an alternate reality.

owensjef3
owensjef3 06/16/12 - 07:46 am
I just watch a documentary in

I just watch a documentary in which the fall of communism brought thousands of criminals straight from Russian jails. I don’t recall anyone making a big deal about this. If people are law abiding and hard working why not let them come out of the shadows.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/16/12 - 07:39 am
Stones

By any chance Techfan, you wouldn't be throwing stones, would you?

owensjef3
owensjef3 06/16/12 - 07:49 am
Cobalt it is all in your

Cobalt it is all in your imagination, This President, who has been very moderate, but has a double standard place on him from the Right and the Left he is not destroying America and does not deserve to be treated like that.

owensjef3
owensjef3 06/16/12 - 07:44 am
techfan I get the same

techfan I get the same treatment

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/16/12 - 07:47 am
Techfan

So what you are saying is all true Americans should just raise a white flag, surrender and bend down on a rug to this King SMNCICBHO.

For my Grandchildren, I never will. They do not deserve to be a slave to anybody.

owensjef3
owensjef3 06/16/12 - 07:50 am
A Slave?

A Slave?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/16/12 - 07:53 am
owensjef3

It is your right to kiss his feet, but I won't. Eyes, Ears and some common sense for the past 3 1/2 years tells me all I have to know.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/16/12 - 07:58 am
If you have to live under

If you have to live under total control of a government...you are a Slave. That is the altimate goal of this so called president and administration.

Granddaddy John
Granddaddy John 06/16/12 - 08:03 am
And that is 52% of the people

And that is 52% of the people of this country, a slave to the democrats

Techfan
Techfan 06/16/12 - 08:11 am
The Bush taxes are still in

The Bush taxes are still in place, taxes are even lower than under Bush.
The wars are still being fought, although it appears Obama is actually going after the bad guys.
Corporate profits are at a record high.
The stock market is soaring.
The Patriot Act is still alive and well.
It looks pretty much like a Bush third term, except the economy is doing better and the private sector job loss has stopped.
Where was the "destroying America " then?

'Go Downtown' initiative gets mixed reviews

The "Go Downtown" initiative aims to foster a downtown environment that welcomes the college community and creates business for merchants. The event is held every third Thursday of the month ...