It's time to say 'enough'

I was born in this fair city, and raised on her outskirts. I attended the same public schools as my father and grandfather, where sadly my Southern accent was successfully educated away. I went on to major in two foreign languages at Augusta State University, during which time I sat through not a few discourses on the undesirability of my hometown by a bunch of transients. I was never the only native but always the only one who would defend Augusta for essentially “not being Atlanta.”

In grade school, one is taught to despise the way one speaks. At ASU, a native Augustan is taught to despise the way he naturally feels for his place in the world. All this to pose the question: When do the inheritors of any city – not the imports who warm the chairs of our finer institutions, nor the minority of activists who force an agenda on the rest of us in this “free country” – when do we say “enough”? “Enough” to Georgia Health Sciences University President Ricardo Azziz trying to genetically modify the DNA of our town to make it like its sister to the west who sold out to “progress.”

“Enough” of the visitors and transients – here for the weather or a government job – who hate us for our small-town politics and lack of retail, but love the low cost of living.

“Enough” of the demands made on the Augusta National Golf Club to cave to social pressure to admit a female member. It’s a private club, and we live in America.

And will not nature itself eventually say “enough” (in our place) on the day when we allow our main thoroughfare to be decorated with the tainted banners of homosexuals who engage in a high-risk and unproductive lifestyle that undermines the fabric of our society?

A harmless parade is no longer sufficient; we now have their flags out the entire month of June? I guess when Augusta becomes the abomination that is San Francisco, then we will be cool enough. “Augusta Pride” should be a label for those people who feel deep gratitude and responsibility for this city and would not see her corrupted.

ultrarnr
ultrarnr 06/14/12 - 12:05 am
Enough

How about enough to bigotry and yes to embracing diversity?

willie7
willie7 06/14/12 - 12:41 am
Ms. James, I respect your

Ms. James, I respect your opinion and I would want you to respect mine if I thought different from you.
I have gained admiration for our mayor, Deke, Whom I heard on the radio saying, Augusta welcomes the Gay Pride Parade .

specsta
specsta 06/14/12 - 01:13 am
Augusta Must Step Up

And exactly what is the problem with GHSU/ASU trying to find an appropriate name that will define its brand as an international destination for students?

And what is the problem with asking the Augusta National Golf Club to come into the 21st century and admit female members?

The problem here is traditionalism. This city has dragged its lazy feet for decades - it has regressed even from where it was 20 years ago. Folks want Augusta to become a top-tier city - but the "country folk" want things to stay the same old boring way. They have no problem if the skyline has remained unchanged for years (and I'm really stretching the definition of a skyline) - you could probably take a photo from 20 years ago and it looks the same. Not too many cities would brag about that or even admit it.

Instead of bemoaning the fact that folks (transients, as you call them) criticize the slovenly ways of this city, how about listening to their ideas and funnel some money into grandiose projects that can transform this country-bumpkin palace into a serious contender for tourist dollars, new industries and a better quality of life for the residents here.

myfather15
myfather15 06/14/12 - 01:14 am
Deke is playing politics as

Deke is playing politics as usual. Politicians today have no spine because of fear of being called names such as bigots, racists, ect. I am not a bigot, racist or hater of any kind. I have NEVER harmed another human being in my life and hope that I never have too. I have friends that are homosexual and I could care less. I don't impose my opinion upon them and their personal lifestyle. But some people would say that I do so by not supporting gay marriage. You will not change my mind by calling me names. I know who I am and I'm proud to be that person. I care about ALL other people. But I will stand strong on my principals. I will not bend to the name calling and political correctness this Country wants to embrace.

I will always stand strong that marriage is between one man and one woman. Its the laws of God and nature that persuade me into this decision. When the day comes that two men or two women can naturally procreate and replentish this planet, then I will stand in line to support them being united in marriage. Until that day, I will continue to believe its against the laws of nature and therefore against my beliefs. But, I will treat each one of them with respect and grace until the day God calls me home.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/14/12 - 05:05 am
Ms. James is doing what she

Ms. James is doing what she says she despises. She stereotypes and generalizes while implying if you weren't born in a downtown hospital you shouldn't say anything.

Dr. Azziz came here and inherited the merger of the schools. He didn't cause the Board of Regents to merge our schools. There is every indication the name Augusta will be in the new name, by the way. Augusta has a diversity of people from all over thanks to our institutions and Ft. Gordon which, don't forget, is also in our city.

She is right, we're not Atlanta, but we're also not Augusta, circa 1960. She may have been better off studying history 101 instead of learning two languages.

Retired Army
Retired Army 06/14/12 - 01:22 pm
Ms. James seems to have a

Ms. James seems to have a mighty long nose to look down on some of us "transients".

I have this feeling that many of my retired brethren who served our nation and chose to live here might take umbrage at her expressed and uninformed attitude about the pride a person takes in the place they choose as a grownup to make their home.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/14/12 - 06:53 am
Agree with RM

he said

I love my hometown too.....but I realize some change is not a bad thing.

southernguy08
southernguy08 06/14/12 - 07:08 am
WILLIE7

Deke has to welcome a gay pride parade for you to admire him? So very sad. Speaks volumes of the power of being PC.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/14/12 - 08:11 am
Good Morning America and Augusta

I agree with specsta.."And, pray tell, what is the problem with Augusta embracing diversity and becoming a more inclusive city by welcoming more culturally diverse events?"

We could have a, Chase a grease pig down Broad street once a year,
put up a May Flag Pole, build a nude heated year around swimming pool, build a real nice meeting Hall for ACLU to gather and hold their meetings...there are so many things that could be done to bring in "culturally diverse events"

allhans
allhans 06/14/12 - 08:15 am
Lots of truth in the above

Lots of truth in the above letter.

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 06/14/12 - 08:30 am
Another one...

Another person that claims they are better than everyone else then wraps it up with a "my morals should outweigh yours" ending.

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 06/14/12 - 08:32 am
as usual you have those who

as usual you have those who claim to respect diferent opinions but when one is given it is immediately attacked as closed minded, prejudical, and stereotypical....Ms James you have a right to your opinion, granted by the first amemdment and if the "gay pride" month offends you, me, or anyone else we should have a right to voice our opinion but it is those clamouring for "inclusiveness and diversity" that are closed minded forcing their beliefs, value system, and opinions down our throats using words like "stereotypical, prejudical, hateful, bigoted" like a gun pointed at those who do not agree with them or their lifestyle. So it seems Ms. james and Myfather1 we will continued to be villified because we do not bend to the winds of political correctness and "diversity" to accept this type of behavior with open arms, to compromise our christian beliefs, and to stand tall in the face those wanting to force a particular agenda down our throats. be that as it may we may be called close minded, stereotypical, or even prejudiced but the sacred document allows us to respecfully voice our opinion just as well and for those who may be offended, upset it is you not us that is closed-minded and bigoted because it is you wanted to stifle opinions or values contrary to your own instead of respecting opinions that differ from yours

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/14/12 - 09:46 am
myfather 15

You could have written that post under my name:

"I have NEVER harmed another human being in my life and hope that I never have too. I have friends that are homosexual and I could not care less. "

In general, they are not undermining anything just by virtue of existing and loving another of the same gender; and I believe a significant portion of that community do just that. I also have no issue with civil unions that bestow inheritance rights, next of kin authority, etc. on the partner.

However, I draw the line with the "in your face" attitude some of them employ. I can't accept adoption of infants who would otherwise be adopted by a heterosexual couple, etc. I think it is supremely selfish for lesbians to get artificially inseminated so they can have a baby. There are studies that suggest children do as well with homo parents as they do with hetero parents. Sorry, I can't buy it.

If they want to parade, then by all means let them buy a permit to parade; they have as much right to do that as any other group. However, we don't have to give them an audience if our senses are offended by it, and the city should diligently enforce lewdness statutes to quell any who would display their flamboyance.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/14/12 - 09:57 am
RA, I agree to a point. What

RA, I agree to a point. When you "transients" as you say, move here, you need to be sensitive to local traditions and customs; and not be overly assertive in trying to change things to suit you.

I'm sure it is true the world over that "natives" resent change brought by "outsiders", and the statement "I don't CARE how ya'll did it up north " is universal. Obviously, there is more sensitivity to that in places like Augusta which have a large influx of folks not born and raised in the Southeast.

Jake
Jake 06/14/12 - 10:23 am
"abomination that is San Francisco"

Not everything in the city is bad. The US Open is here this week and traffic is bad. I wonder if Ms. James has ever been to San Francisco?
Augusta is changing quicker than some people would like it to but change is happening faster all over the world. Blame it on so-called "progress".

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/14/12 - 10:51 am
Listen, I wasn't born in

Listen, I wasn't born in Augusta. I was born and raised in Charleston, but have been coming to Aiken to my grandparents farm all my life. It's my farm now and has been in the family for centuries. So I kind of grew up in the CSRA. I hate Yankees, everyone in San Franciso except Michael Savage and the only good Democrat I've ever heard of was Billy Carter. I've got relatives who are members of the KKK and some who are black. I love Augusta and the entire CSRA except a few people.

The other day there was a letter to the editor from someone slamming Augusta for all it's worth. I suppose this letter is in response to that one. I criticized it and will do the same with this one. They're both wrong.

burninater
burninater 06/14/12 - 11:06 am
We could build a big glass

We could build a big glass shell around Augusta, fill it with water and fake snow, and put it on the mantle where it could stay the same forever, and ever, and ever, and ever ...

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 06/14/12 - 11:14 am
We need to keep the "good

We need to keep the "good stuff" that is Augusta, and work to replace and update the bad.

Problem is, folks can't agree on what is Good vs. Bad.

Tradition is not necessarily bad. But, neither is some change. Just try to strike a balance and seek what is best for the community as a whole, not just your own personal interest or people group.

jonbrunk
jonbrunk 06/14/12 - 11:37 am
Two points to keep in mind,

Two points to keep in mind, Ms. James:

1. The vast majority of the folks I speak to around Augusta agree with you, but you'll find that they are sorely underrepresented in the online commentary you're getting here.

2. The above comments are representative of the 'cult of progress' that permeated the social agendas (War on poverty! War on "intolerance"! War on "bullying"!) of the last century, i.e., these people can't help themselves: They're children of their age, and anyone who doesn't believe in their myth of change-for-change's-sake *will* be excoriated as a luddite or bumpkin or a racist or a bigot or whatever.

So: Feel free to criticize something PC like, say, China's forcible eradication of Tibet's native culture and populace--just don't protest the transplants doing the same to yours.

(Re SanFran: Hey Jake, been to the Folsom Street Fair lately?)

OJP
OJP 06/14/12 - 12:17 pm
What exactly do you propose

What exactly do you propose to do? Ban the festival? I see you put free country in quotes so perhaps you don't think it should be?

I was born and raised here too. This city is just as much mine as it is anyone else's. And this letter is quite embarrassing for Augusta natives. You certainly don't speak for me.

Bizkit
Bizkit 06/14/12 - 12:33 pm
We do need more diversity and

We do need more diversity and freedom so I suggest a KKK parade, then a Black Panther parade, then an Atheist parade, then a Christian parade (and any other religious group), then a Pro-Life parade, then an Pro-Abortion parade, then a Gay parade, an Anti-gay parade, and finally end the day with a rally held by the Congressional Black Caucus , Progressive Caucus, and Tea Party. Now everyone will be happy. Anything less seems unAmerican.

OJP
OJP 06/14/12 - 12:38 pm
Bizkit

Welcome to America. If those groups want to hold an event, who are you to second guess our Constitution?

Bizkit
Bizkit 06/14/12 - 12:41 pm
OJP, who is second guessing

OJP, who is second guessing it. What I stated is exactly what freedom and the constitution is about-minorities having a voice. Duh. Can't you read.

OJP
OJP 06/14/12 - 12:46 pm
Bizkit

I agree then - I read sarcasm into your post.

burninater
burninater 06/14/12 - 12:51 pm
The above comments are

-----------
Um, are poverty, intolerance, and bullying the types of things that people are trying to preserve when they oppose 'the cult of progress'? I really don't think you're helping your case.

milliegirl
milliegirl 06/14/12 - 01:02 pm
I clearly remember a

I clearly remember a commentary from Paul Harvey many years ago. It still resonates in my mind his concerns of the digress of accents in the United States. He stated it would be a shame when regional accents in the U.S. were squelched -- such as those from the New England or the Southern states -- cloned to all sound like someone from California (example only). He feared it was coming and that it would be a great loss to this nation. And I agree.

I don't have a problem with the Augusta National being a private club. Do you people think it's the only "club" in the U.S. that picks and chooses its members?? Don't be so naive! Leave it alone!

I have friends who are gay. I disagree with their lifestyle and the gay agenda. We must envision the future of our children and what repercussions will follow with the "it's not a big deal" ideology. It still takes a man and a woman to populate. Hey -- did God do that on purpose???

The biggest thing about transients is that many insinuate that Southerners are stupid or make fun of us (weather included). Sure, I'm always ready for change when it's for the betterment of mankind and done with balance. But if you hate the Augusta area so much, then leave it as soon as you can!

So -- if we are so inclined for everyone to speak alike, live alike, accept all things no matter what, disrespect establishments -- Geez Leweez!sounds like SOCIALISM to me!

jonbrunk
jonbrunk 06/14/12 - 01:11 pm
Uhhhh...

'Intolerance' and 'bullying' were in quotes, burn. Time to work on some reading comprehension....

TParty
TParty 06/14/12 - 01:19 pm
I wonder how quickly this

I wonder how quickly this city would break if all the government jobs left, if the base moved somewhere else. The Masters won't cut it. Government folks are a big part of this community. Gays too are members of this community.

jonbrunk
jonbrunk 06/14/12 - 01:38 pm
"Is there any correlation to

"Is there any correlation to people who hate seeing the rainbow flag in their city, and those who cry foul about the Confederate flag not being in public as well?"

Shouldn't there be? One is a genuine part of the local culture and history, and the city would *never* grant a permit to hang it from the light poles on Broad Street. The other, Pride in Sodomy, isn't, and it's put on public display.

jonbrunk
jonbrunk 06/14/12 - 02:07 pm
"Would the parade not be more

"Would the parade not be more beneficial in bringing change in Saudi Arabia?"

Not if it's the Folsom Street Fair Parade*...the Saudis would feel justified in their "intolerance".

*Google it (though it's NSFW): That's Augusta in a few years. Unless folks like Ms. James take a stand.

URA votes to issue bonds for Municipal Building renovation

Augusta's Urban Redevelopment Agency agreed Thursday to issue nearly $27 million in revenue bonds to raise up to $28.5 million in cash for ongoing renovations and a new information technology ...