Diligence creates 'luck'

Victor Reilly’s letter (“Lucky should help needy,” June 10) – about “luck” influencing length of life, career, financial success, politics, etc. – astounds me.

Webster defines “luck” as “happening by chance.” His good luck actually seems to be attributable to his inherited good genes, excellent parental decisions and his own industriousness. What’s lucky about that? Wasn’t this country founded on principles that provide the opportunity for all of us to succeed? There are no guarantees, only opportunity.

The June 10 Augusta Chronicle (“Students go above, beyond to see graduation”) profiled three black high-school students who have overcome enormous adversity in their lives through hard work, discipline and focus. They are role models for all of us. Explain to me where “luck” entered into their success. My guess is that each of them is headed for more prosperous “luck” as their lives progress.

Since when is individualism a character defect? Perhaps in a collective hive of socialists, but certainly not in this country where it is highly prized as a freedom and right of choice. I see no glaring examples of this “I got mine” attitude.

Look at the huge number of government social programs for the less fortunate as well as innumerable private ones. That doesn’t seem to reflect selfishness on the part of most Americans. Throughout my life I have seen that hard work, industriousness, living within your means and practicing other traits of citizenry trumps “luck” all the time, and leads to good results.

This coming election may well be the most important for all of us. But it does not pit the rich and successful against the less-fortunate as Mr. Reilly states. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. That’s truly a shabby way of inferring class warfare used by Democrats throughout the length of this administration. Rather, it presents all of us with an opportunity to make an informed decision as to whether we want to continue with four more years of the same or clean house.

It’s our choice – and that’s a democracy!

KSL
120916
KSL 06/12/12 - 11:31 pm
Good letter.

Good letter.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/13/12 - 12:34 am
Jack Burke; I don't know you,

Jack Burke; I don't know you, but it would be my honor to shake your hand. You articulate the position of so many true Americans in such a succinct way...

specsta
specsta 06/13/12 - 01:50 am
Typical Conservative View

Jack Burke wrote: "You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity."

You completely miss the point. A factual statement would read, "You cannot, on moral and humane grounds, legislate the poor into more poverty, in order to provide more wealth to the wealthy".

It is the wealthy who have been legislated into more prosperity, via tax breaks, corporate welfare, various subsidies, grants, incentives, etc. Corporations receive over 100 billion dollars a year in welfare; meaning that taxpayer dollars are freely given to corporations - despite the fact that these companies routinely post profits of multiple billions.

Now, converse this with the poor and working class. They are legislated into becoming poorer, via taxes, disqualifications from receiving federal and state aid (laws that make it harder to be approved), rising education costs as less is spent per student, rising medical costs, insurance, rising costs for government services, etc.

The underclass is squeezed like a rotten orange under a steamroller on a daily basis. In order to create some semblance of fairness, if that means that my rich neighbor should pay his fair share of taxes or that a company that makes billions should not receive government welfare - THEN SO BE IT.

desertcat6
desertcat6 06/13/12 - 02:17 am
Specta, Perspective. From the

Specta, Perspective. From the other side, the hardworking, dilligent, income tax payer is being squeezed while the non-contributing reciepients are soaking up tax dollars like a sponge. I guess it's important that I remember that according to you, since I still pay a healthly federal income tax bill, I belong in the company of the uber rich and the large corporations that should pay more. Sorry, I don't buy your concept of fairness and enforced financial equality. In the end it generally leads to tyranny and oppression.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 06/13/12 - 03:13 am
"The harder you work, the luckier you get."

That said, I have been lucky enough to have been born into a family of really good people and to have lived as a child across the street from a family composed of some of the best people anywhere.

Had I been born to an alcoholic father and grown up in Harrisburg as had my father, I'd more likely be in a penitentiary than in a beautiful suburban home writing this comment.

Techfan
Techfan 06/13/12 - 05:59 am
Luck plays no part. That's

Luck plays no part. That's what my chums and I were saying as we were waiting our turn in the Guf. All diligence was required if it was your turn and it was time for a new soul in Sub-Saharan Africa. A third world country? Dark skin? Surely you jest? You had to be on your toes to make sure you were in the bathroom or something. Ah, time for someone in the US. Oh, a family living in poverty. No way. Here Bubba, why don't you go ahead of me? Kind of me? Why yes it is. No. no need to thank me. Ok, time for a wealthy family. What, no political connections? Well that just won't do. I left my bag in my room, I'll just wait until the next one. Wealth, corporate and political influence, white, and attractive!!! Jonesy, your shoe's untied. See you later. See, it requires intelligence, cunning, and hard work to be successful.

carcraft
carcraft 06/13/12 - 07:44 am
Craig Spinks- Your father

Craig Spinks- Your father chose to live a better life than his father. You chose not to be a "punk" and avoided bad decisions, it wasn't "luck". The problem today is that our society, for the sake of "inclusion" doesn’t want to teach morality, industriousness, personnel virtue, and responsibility or duty! Men don't father children any more they have momma's babies. Men avoid being men and want to avoid doing their duty to the child they created. These boy men want fatherhood’s responsibility passed to the government and it is the government's job to provide for the children. The women don’t have any moral virtue and having babies is a key to government checks not the responsibility of raising another human being, that’s the governments job or the grandparents job! This exists because society says we can't assume there is a morally proper way to have a family because that is "judgmental” about what a family is. So now it all comes down to luck, luck had nothing to do with your father's character and his being a man,...I want to honor your father for doing the right thing and not making excuses to be a failure ..I always told my children, "The maximum effective range of a good excuse is zero meters” Quit giving people excuses for not working and being responsible and shirking their duty!

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 06/13/12 - 07:10 am
Logically, if my rich

Logically, if my rich "neighbor" should pay his fair share....would not that imply that "I" should pay my fair share? THEN SO BE IT!

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 06/13/12 - 07:18 am
Hard work better than good luck

Throughout my life I have seen that hard work, industriousness, living within your means and practicing other traits of citizenry trumps “luck” all the time, and leads to good results (Jack Burke).

Excellent observation! People who have the best luck rely on luck the least.

Unlike luck, work provides goods and services, creating wealth. Lucky lottery winners get rich quick, but at the expense of everyone who buys lottery tickets. Only work helps everyone--the people paid for their work, and the society helped as a result of the good work.

Again, let me thank Mr. Burke for his fine letter, and let's thank God for the opportunity to elect new leadership in November.

carcraft
carcraft 06/13/12 - 07:42 am
To avoid poverty all you need

To avoid poverty all you need to do in America is finish high school and be married before having children, what is lucky about that?

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 06/13/12 - 07:45 am
No Guf

Luck plays no part. That's what my chums and I were saying as we were waiting our turn in the Guf. All diligence was required if it was your turn and it was time for a new soul in Sub-Saharan Africa (Techfan).

I don't believe in the Guf, because it's not taught in the Bible. I believe in God's providence, not luck.

Granted, there are bad places to be born in. But many of those places have great potential, if only their people and governments weren't corrupt and sinful. Sinfulness and corruption aren't there because of bad luck; they're there because of bad choices and evil intentions. If our nation continues down the path toward more and more corruption, it will cease being a good place to be born in.

Part of a good work ethic is the desire to leave one's family, community, and country better off than they were when we were born. To return to greatness, our nation must encourage, not penalize, people who work hard.

Shea_Addams
Shea_Addams 06/13/12 - 08:11 am
How are the wealthy

How are the wealthy legislated into more prosperity via tax breaks, while they STILL pay taxes, yet the poor pay little to NO taxes? Please explain.

justthefacts
20251
justthefacts 06/13/12 - 08:23 am
Rationalization

Unsuccessful people need to have the "luck" factor to lean on or otherwise they have to face the truth. They don't like that so much.

justthefacts
20251
justthefacts 06/13/12 - 08:26 am
Funny

My mother, God bless her, always claimed that, during the height of his playing days, Tiger Woods was "lucky". Cracked me up.

Shea_Addams
Shea_Addams 06/13/12 - 08:28 am
The harder I work, the

The harder I work, the luckier I seem to get.

allhans
allhans 06/13/12 - 09:15 am
I know what it takes to

I know what it takes to achieve, but have no idea how you get lucky.

impossible
impossible 06/13/12 - 09:38 am
The liberals/socialists want

The liberals/socialists want to claim Jesus as one of them, but think about it. Jesus died on the cross to redeem mankind, but he also gave each a free will, so salvation is up to the individual. Each may choose Heaven or choose Hell, and luck has nothing to do with that.
Jesus gave us "equal opportunity" but did not guarantee "equality of outcome." Logically, that makes Jesus a conservative. Great truthful insights Mr. Burke.

TParty
TParty 06/13/12 - 10:11 am
Luck does play a huge part of

Luck does play a huge part of it. I won a lottery ticket by being born an American. Bill Gates and Warren Buffet talk all the time about how lucky they were born in America during the right time. Gates talks about about if he were born a couple hundred year earlier, he would not have been successful at all- since he was small, frail with poor eye sight. Luck has a lot to do with things. It's not the only factor- but don't discount it.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 06/13/12 - 10:01 am
The best

solution for "curing" poverty, it would seem to me, would be for all democrats, actors, lawyers, social activists, black ministers, naacp, aclu to donate their possesions to the poor, join the ranks of monks and nuns and keeps their mouths shut concerning their "personal" generosity.

john
john 06/13/12 - 10:11 am
lottery

TParty, I agree with you, but some people dont want to hear that they are lucky to be born here. They are too busy trying to be a vicitm.

justthefacts
20251
justthefacts 06/13/12 - 10:43 am
It's all relative

Who to say how Bill Gates would have done if he was born in an earlier time. Sure, he would not have founded MicroSoft, but I would wager he still would have led a successful life in comparision to others in the same time period. After all, he isn't the only small, frail, born with poor eyesight person born in 1955. Why did he be come so successful? It's all relative.

TParty
TParty 06/13/12 - 11:09 am
JTF: You should read the book

JTF: You should read the book 'Outliers: The Story of Success'. It talks about how him and other successful people in life got to where they are today. Luck is a huge part of it. His parents, location, friends, and opportunities play a large role as well. Culture being another one- it's a good book. It even talk about why some people fail, to include Christopher Langan, who is considered one of the smartest people in America. Luck has a lot to do with things. There are things you cannot control, or change, like when you were born, to whom, the location, etc....

And Bill Gates said himself said there is no way he would have his kind of success, unless he born at the right time and right place. All luck.

KSL
120916
KSL 06/13/12 - 11:43 am
And I would agree. Luck does

And I would agree. Luck does play a part in the situations of the likes of Bill Gates. But that is not to say that to make it in America you need to have been born or raised lucky.

justthefacts
20251
justthefacts 06/13/12 - 11:54 am
11:09

We'll just have to disagree.

KSL
120916
KSL 06/13/12 - 12:01 pm
To whom is that comment

To whom is that comment directed, jtf?

justthefacts
20251
justthefacts 06/13/12 - 12:12 pm
Luck

KSL, anyone who thinks that Bill Gates's success is mainly due to luck. Including Bill Gates, if he really thinks that.

KSL
120916
KSL 06/13/12 - 12:27 pm
Tparty, I think you were

I know. Jtf I'm very guilty of not reading the headings. No ones success is based on pure luck. Otherwise so many second and third generation business owners would not ruin the businesses that had been built up for them to take over.

In my opinion. Mr Reilly just enjoys seeing his words in print for some reason. He sent the very same letter to the Standard.

justthefacts
20251
justthefacts 06/13/12 - 12:39 pm
Lighten up

KSL, come on, everybody makes errors on here. People could spend all day pointing them out. Heck RA got on somebody the other day and then later had a post with several misspelled words. Look at your 12:27. After, "In my opinion" you should have used a comma instead of a period. Right?

Shea_Addams
Shea_Addams 06/13/12 - 12:47 pm
KSL, but that is funny.

KSL, but that is funny.

justthefacts
20251
justthefacts 06/13/12 - 12:56 pm
LOL

What the heck is going on? (I spell checked this)