Ancestors fought brave fight

Regarding Bruce Smith’s Associated Press article about Robert Smalls in The Augusta Chronicle on May 6 (“Slave’s daring sea escape celebrated on anniversary”): Smalls took part as a pilot aboard the ironclad U.S.S. Keokuk when Abraham Lincoln ordered Rear Adm. Samuel Francis DuPont to try to recapture Fort Sumter on April 17, 1863. The Confederate States of America were occupying the fort at this time.

The CSA not only just won this battle, it must have embarrassed Lincoln. Why? Because the Union – despite having overwhelming firepower – fired only 154 rounds on Fort Sumter. The CSA scored 2,209 hits on the Union fleet from Fort Sumter. Most of the fleet suffered heavy damage.

The Keokuk suffered so much damage that it sank the next day, close to Morris Island. The CSA, under cover of darkness, salvaged the Keokuk’s XI-inch Dahlgren guns. One of the guns was placed in Fort Sumter for defense against the Union.

There were 11 battles at Fort Sumter between the Union and the CSA. Three were major; the other eight were minor, according to historians. Some battles lasted for weeks; others lasted for days or maybe just a day.

What had to be on Lincoln’s mind after losing all 11 battles with the CSA at Fort Sumter may never be known by historians. My guess: Lincoln never understood what the War Between the States was all about.

The war should be called the War for Southern Independence instead of the usual title “the Civil War.” What Gen. William T. Sherman did when he marched through Georgia and South Carolina was not civil – it was just plain criminal. If our soldiers burned cities in Iraq and Afghanistan like Sherman did, there would have been court-martials and prosecutions to the fullest extent of the law.

I am proud of my “cotton-picking” ancestors.

Techfan
Techfan 06/13/12 - 04:19 am
I'm sure many Germans are

I'm sure many Germans are proud of their ancestors for fighting a brave fight as well.

copperhead
copperhead 06/13/12 - 07:31 am
Techfan,why so much HATE for

Techfan,why so much HATE for America?

Shea_Addams
Shea_Addams 06/13/12 - 08:14 am
I'm quite sure there are

I'm quite sure there are Germans who are proud of their ancestors for fighting a brave fight. And they SHOULD be proud. Just because they happened to be our enemies, does not mean they shouldn't be proud of their ancestors for doing their best for their country.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 06/13/12 - 08:48 am
Same arguments, different day

...and 168 comments later, the yankees and the rebels still won't like or respect each other.

And for good reason.

Shea_Addams
Shea_Addams 06/13/12 - 08:50 am
I respect those who fought on

I respect those who fought on BOTH sides.

KSL
KSL 06/13/12 - 10:56 am
The reasons for the Civil War

The reasons for the Civil War were many. History has been revised to make it entirely about slavery, a nifty tool used by progressives to foster divisiveness. Tech, the South surrendered. Can't you give up your one man fight to rile up Southereners?

Yep, I am pretty certain that many descendants of members of the armed services of Germany are and should be proud of their family members' service. Afterall, they were not SS, or Chicago thugs.

JRC2024
JRC2024 06/13/12 - 11:40 am
Big deal. It has been over a

Big deal. It has been over a long time.

cmort
cmort 06/13/12 - 12:27 pm
Are you kidding me??

The Civil War ended in 1865. I don't even get the point of this. My ancestors fought too, but I, for one, am glad the south lost. If not, we'd be living in a third world, theocratic country, probably not with slaves anymore, but with a wretched existence for people of color.

Shea_Addams
Shea_Addams 06/13/12 - 02:49 pm
cmort, what makes you think

cmort, what makes you think it would be a third world, theocratic country? Please explain..

DMPerryJr
DMPerryJr 06/13/12 - 01:23 pm
Good Letter

Believe it or not folks, there are "progressives" in groups like the Sons of Confederate Veterans.

I thank God that I am a moderate person. I've been wanting a new tattoo. Think I will get the Confederate Flag tatted on my back for my Father's Day gift to myself. Should go nicely with my MLK themed ink.

Pat Hines
Pat Hines 06/13/12 - 02:14 pm
Still under Yankee Occupation

As stated in a superb essay in "The Free Magnolia" newspaper, the point of our nationalism is not that Lincoln's war is being refought, it is that we're still occupied by a foreign power and will not change our position until that foreign power withdraws from our land.

Further, the 100+ year experiment with progressivism is an abject failure, including progressivism's attempt to culturally genocide the south having failed, it's time for the Yankee Empire to leave us.

We Southrons know that the only good socialist is a dead socialist, including progressives. Progressives are America's fascists.

We mean to be free, one way or another.

KSL
KSL 06/13/12 - 02:20 pm
The real point is that war

The real point is that war should be left alone. Let the people who enjoy their heritage be. Stop denigrating them. Otherwise, step up and join in the celebration of may 5. Oops, you probably have.

KSL
KSL 06/13/12 - 02:33 pm
Actually the real point of

Actually the real point of that war was the real point of that war. For once I love the header.

DMPerryJr
DMPerryJr 06/13/12 - 02:39 pm
Pat Hines is Funny

Awesome post, Pat. I love me some diversity of thought. Makes the world a lot more interesting place.

KSL
KSL 06/13/12 - 02:39 pm
Without the discussion thread

Without the discussion thread we cannot tell when prople change their posts. We can agree with someone only to have them come back and change what they posted. Just saw a prime example. AC, whatever the problems were, you have way more now.

Shea_Addams
Shea_Addams 06/13/12 - 02:51 pm
KSL....if you look at the

KSL....if you look at the time that the post was made you can see if it was changed because it will put the more recent time on the post. That's how we could tell you were correct about the other poster.

Techfan
Techfan 06/13/12 - 03:07 pm
"Techfan,why so much HATE for

"Techfan,why so much HATE for America?" I don't hate America. According to them, they weren't America. In reality, they were traitors who committed treason. As you can tell by some who post on here, way too many of the SoCV crowd fit into the same category.

DMPerryJr
DMPerryJr 06/13/12 - 03:32 pm
American Treasonists?

Americans also committed "treason" against the crown back in the 18th century too.

Ain't you glad about that?

allhans
allhans 06/13/12 - 04:42 pm
Treason?

Treason?

Pat Hines
Pat Hines 06/13/12 - 05:13 pm
The US Constitution defines

The US Constitution defines treason in Article III, Section III as making war against any state.

It is clear that Lincoln, his cabinet, and at least all field grade commissioned officers in the US government's military committed treason under that definition. For those that claim, but those states were no longer protected by the Constitution since they had left the United States, I will point out that there are no exceptions listed in Article III and that Lincoln continually made the claim that no secession had taken place, therefore the Constitution controls his actions, which are self evidently treasonous.

On the other hand, no seceded state committed treason, they withdrew from the Constitutional compact, which was entirely lawful, and continues to be lawful to this day.

The United States committed numerous acts of war against South Carolina beginning on 26 December, 1860 when it invaded South Carolina's Fort Sumter (no United States troops were or ever had been stationed there). South Carolina did not begin anything, they merely defended against invasion. The invasion force was at the mouth of Charleston harbor at anchor when South Carolina fired on Fort Sumter, the invasion force consisted of 8 United States Naval ships of war and 1400 troops. South Carolina blocked that additional act of war.

Again, we mean to have our freedom from the United States, we will enforce that. Ireland seceded from Great Britain and Algeria seceded from France in the 20th century.

We will be free in the 21st century.

Jake
Jake 06/13/12 - 05:37 pm
Good luck with that

Since Ireland and Algeria are not physically connected to either England or France then maybe, just maybe, Alaska and Hawaii will want to secede from the USA. As far as the southern states are concerned you are dreaming if you think that is going to happen. Maybe dreaming is not the right word, hallucinating is more like it. The south of 2012 is not the same one as the 1860's.

KSL
KSL 06/13/12 - 05:58 pm
Be kind to techfan. I now

Be kind to techfan. I now understand him.

Robert martin
Robert martin 06/13/12 - 11:01 pm
civil war

Get over it, it was little over 2,000 year
Ago

KSL
KSL 06/13/12 - 11:58 pm
So it us okay for people to

So it s okay for people to continuously blame southern people for slavery, which was on its way out, but oh no, one can't be proud of southern heritage. I just love how liberal liberals really are.

Pat Hines
Pat Hines 06/14/12 - 07:45 am
We're not "Getting Over It", get used to that idea

We're not getting over it, we're going to remove the occupying Yankee Empire from our land.

KSL
KSL 06/14/12 - 06:33 pm
You most certainly can

You most certainly can complain since great great grandpappy was not fighting the war to retain slavery.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/14/12 - 09:42 pm
Y'all Want to Get it On Again?

If y'all want to get it on again, I'm down. I got a couple of flat belly wagons in Aiken that I'll contribute to the cause. Lee should have marched straight to NYC. Yankees can't fight.

Officers tell of trauma from taking life

Although every experience is different, officers who take a life often experience severe bouts of depression, alcoholism, marital problems, sleepless nights and feelings of being alone in the ...