Pride banners offensive

I really don’t care who this offends, because it will only offend those who openly offend me.

The very idea of the city of Augusta flying gay pride banners on light posts downtown is off-the-chart of “in your face” (“Groups can fly banners,” June 5). I am a Christian and a compassionate person, but the lifestyle of a gay person is a personal choice, and I don’t like it being thrust in our faces. To the city officials who let this happen: Shame on you. If you think this will promote the kind of traffic you want downtown, you are wrong!

I don’t blame the gay pride movement. It is getting the attention it seeks out since there is no possible way its members can be satisfied with their lifestyle or circumstance.

God will be the final judgement for all of us. I hope you will receive his mercy and choose a better life, but keep your lifestyle between you and God. I don’t want it in my face.

As for the city of Augusta, I can’t pray in schools or at public events, but now I can fly a banner downtown to proclaim my beliefs? Thanks!

omnomnom
omnomnom 06/10/12 - 01:21 am
i dont like truck nutz being

i dont like "truck nutz" being thrust in my face either, but i'm not going to keep everyone who has a pair from getting on the highway.

America the free <3

specsta
specsta 06/10/12 - 01:39 am
Why Offended?

So why do we have Christmas decorations? Thanksgiving decorations? Halloween decorations? There are a ton of folks that don't celebrate these holidays and might be offended. I personally don't care for Halloween, with stores displaying gory body parts for children and any else to see - but I don't have to buy Halloween stuff or participate in it. It is my choice.

If a person doesn't like representations of Gay Pride - how about just ignoring it? What's the point of being offended? Is it destroying your life somehow?

OJP
OJP 06/10/12 - 03:52 am
Christmas

As noted by others above, do you consider Christmas decorations to be too "in your face"?

Being a Christian is a choice and not everyone is. If you oppose these banners for your stated reasons, you must oppose Christmas decorations. (Well, if you want to be honest and consistent.)

Of course, this being America, Augusta Pride has the right to fly their banners despite you taking personal offense.

Retired Army
Retired Army 06/10/12 - 05:26 am
I'm going to work in a few

I'm going to work in a few minutes, but this thread ought to heat up quickly as soon as some of our less than tolerant brethern awaken or get home from church.

It seems to me though, that the letter writer is using the same logic that was used by segrationists of years past.

Oh, and yes you can pray-yes I do pray-at public events or school. I've done it many times.. Ask most students about that, just before they take an exam.

Bruno
Bruno 06/10/12 - 05:53 am
Specsta and OJP hit the nail

Specsta and OJP hit the nail on the head.
"I am going to be offensive since I was offended" seems to miss the point of "turn the other cheek". Seems to me that Ms. Wallace needs to hit the Book again.

southernguy08
southernguy08 06/10/12 - 06:23 am
Gays and their supporters offended

Well Ms. Wallace, you see the posts. No surprise there, eh? To the best of our knowledge, other species don't practice homosexuality, only humans. And, to the best of our knowledge, "gays" can't reproduce among themselves. And yet, this is supposed to be normal? Just asking, folks.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/10/12 - 06:56 am
Not Offended

I'm not offended by the normal human Gay's hanging their Gay Pride Banners. What I'm offended by is being denied my human right to hang my all "Nude Beach" in Appling and my "Beastiality Club" Banner that is across from the Beach. Don't they all fall in the same category, sexual living preferences.

JRC2024
JRC2024 06/10/12 - 06:58 am
Why would you want to

Why would you want to advertise that you were a homosexual anyway since it is against the laws of nature? I saw a homosexual parade in London several years ago. Very funny with all the body painting and costumes.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/10/12 - 07:03 am
JRC2024

Don't you realize the homosexuality is no longer against the law of nature. Just ask the King SMNCICBHO and his band of Liberals.

OJP
OJP 06/10/12 - 07:19 am
Against the laws of nature?

Quite the contrary:

Homosexuality may not be the norm in humans, but neither is being male or having blue eyes (but I don't expect you will condemn those traits as unnatural).

Natural does not mean most common.

daphne3520
daphne3520 06/10/12 - 07:36 am
AS a so-called Christian

I wonder, as an Agnostic, has he ever heard "Judge not, Lest YE be Judged?"

JRC2024
JRC2024 06/10/12 - 07:39 am
Ojp. Can two men having sex

Ojp. Can two men having sex with each other or two women produce that male with blue eyes. I think not, but a man and a woman having sex can and that is natural and goes with the laws of nature.

OJP
OJP 06/10/12 - 07:48 am
And?

That man and woman will also possibly have a homosexual child (male with blue eyes even). I fail to see how that makes any of those traits any less natural.

Patty-P
Patty-P 06/10/12 - 08:05 am
So now we have reduced

So now we have reduced ourselves to the likes of wild animals?

OJP
OJP 06/10/12 - 08:24 am
Patty-P

When confronted with evidence that homosexuality is quite natural, suddenly natural is no longer the standard for deserving dignity.

Wouldn't it be easier just to accept your fellow citizens and their right to live free?

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/10/12 - 09:14 am
Partner not always needed...

Yall have heard of asexual reproducing....right??

Lordy lordy......one day humans might have a try at it..:)

scoobynews
scoobynews 06/10/12 - 09:21 am
Can't compare!

You can not compare Christmas and Halloween decorations to a city allowing a lifestyle flag. Why you might ask? Because those items bring big money and expanded work force into our community. Regardless of whether you practice or not those holidays fuel our economy during the winter months just as floats, swimming pools, and red/white/blue items do in the summer. It is called business and I am sure many of those producing and making those products are not Christains either. I do however think we are crossing lines when we allow any group that practices something that is considered a lifestyle choice or group affliation to fly a banner on public property. Not sure if many of you know this but most cities are now politically correct with "Happy Holidays" not Merry Christmas which shows support of ALL holidays during that time of year. If we start with gay pride banners what is next - white surprimancy, black panthers, other sexual preferance choices, and so many others. Where will the line be drawn? I say stick with patriotic flags or city support festivals even get rid of the holiday flags if that makes you all feel better but when a city starts supporting various groups over others you are opening a can of worms you may not want to deal with later.

Patty-P
Patty-P 06/10/12 - 09:39 am
OJP

I treat everyone with dignity and respect, except those who do not carry themselves with dignity or respect others. But to compare human behavior to that of animals takes this a bit too far.

scgator
scgator 06/10/12 - 09:41 am
Miss Wallace;I too, am a

Miss Wallace;

I too, am a Christian, and in all likelyhood a lot more conservative than the majority. However, I must comment to your post; like you, the blatant expose of the gay lifestyle is repulsive to say the least. But, it is NOT the main issue here. LEGALLY, our US Constitution gives EVERYBODY equal protection and availability under the law. If we restrict this in ANY way, then our law is null and void; incapable of any functionality. WE, AS CHRISTIANS, are obligated to UPHOLD THE RIGHTS OF GAY CITIZENS AS WELL AS NON GAY CITIZENS. Again, I do agree with you; it is against God and the Bible, and everything we believe as Christians..........but, God NEVER said it was our duty to make things righteous, nor are we to attempt to "change" the world..........WE ARE TO LIVE OUR LIVES IN SUCH A WAY THAT OTHERS "SEE" CHRIST IN US AND CHRIST, THROUGH THE HOLY SPIRIT WILL DRAW THEM TO HIM............"WE" AS CHRISTIANS SHOULD HAVE NO SAY IN THIS MATTER.

OJP
OJP 06/10/12 - 03:11 pm
scoobynews

Perhaps you missed the recent article in this very paper highlighting the Augusta Pride festival as the largest event in June:

It may not bring the largest amount of money, but this is only the third year and it is growing rapidly. Regardless, economic benefits are economic benefits; and the economic benefits from this festival will be very real, just as with other events.

As for this "lifestyle" angle, I've yet to be given any proof that it is a choice or any explanation as to why, if it is a choice, it is any different from choosing to celebrate Halloween and the Winter Solstice/Christmas. Celebrating a holiday, whether Pagan or Christian is undoubtedly a choice in our free society.

Finally, a civil rights movement does not belong in the same category as a hate group. Quite unfortunate that you would go in that direction.

iLove
iLove 06/10/12 - 09:42 am
Sex w/ animals

If I wanted to have sex with animals and advertise it, would that be ok?

Patty-P
Patty-P 06/10/12 - 09:45 am
Spider Cannibalism

The Black Widow female spider eats her male mate after copulation, and this is totally normal and 'quite natural' of their species. If I decide to eat my mate after a night out on the town, that SHOULD be perfectly okay according to our new progressive take on life and the human species. I suppose if you can't beat'em, join'em. Great day everyone.

OJP
OJP 06/10/12 - 09:46 am
Patty-P

Despite the nice trimmings of modern society, we remain a part of the animal kingdom.

Regardless, you clearly do not put much stock in the "unnatural" argument, as you do not think it is appropriate to evaluate humanity in the context of nature.

Patty-P
Patty-P 06/10/12 - 09:46 am
ILove

It is perfectly natural for you to want to have sex with animals. Nobody can tell you who or what you want to have sex with. This is 2012.

Patty-P
Patty-P 06/10/12 - 09:58 am
OJP

As I just posted, I have evaluated humanity in the context of nature in my above post. We are just as similar in intelligence, breeding, and behavior as any other mammal and should treat each other as such. We are not any higher in the hierarchical structure of life than any other animal. Now please excuse me, my dog has to let me out of the house and take me for a walk...hope she remembers to bring the pooper scooper - neighbor got mad at me the last time.

OJP
OJP 06/10/12 - 09:53 am
Bestiality

Animals cannot legally consent. They cannot enter contracts. They are property.

This may change in the future (who knows). And if a human being and another animal consent to engage in sexual intercourse, what business of mine is it?

OJP
OJP 06/10/12 - 09:56 am
impossible

An important foundational characteristic of the U.S. and Western society is the protection of minority rights from the majority. The fact that homosexuals are a small minority should not lead any American to think they deserve any less than we all deserve.

Patty-P
Patty-P 06/10/12 - 10:01 am
Wow

And so with your last comment OJP, why on earth are we comparing human sexual behavior to that of animals? We are all creatures on this earth but we are not the same.

OJP
OJP 06/10/12 - 10:02 am
Patty-P

You have misrepresented the argument. By showing that homosexuality occurs in nature, the argument that it is unnatural is proven wrong.

This, however, does not mean that everything that occurs in nature is to be emulated or adopted. It only means that it does occur in nature so therefore the argument that it does not is wrong.

I no more want to base our society on what is natural than I want to ban things that are unnatural. I rather like my glasses and need them quite a bit. Enjoy traveling by airplane as well.