Illegal aliens lack pride in U.S.

The United States was founded by immigrants – yes, immigrants – but these immigrants wanted their own country with a commonsense governing body.

These immigrants left countries that imprisoned them, taxed them into poverty and stripped them of their religious beliefs, dignity, dreams, hopes and aspirations. Some of them were enslaved and managed to escape to the colonies for a better life, a life of their choosing. Some sold themselves into servitude just for the chance to go to the New World. The colonists had to stick together, work together to survive.

The Revolutionary War defined who we were by defeating England. In World War I and World War II, we fought for the lives we wanted, and defeated the Nazis and Japanese. Those victories by the military are why you are speaking English and not another language.

Immigrants today want a better life like the colonists, but there is a huge difference. These immigrants come to America illegally for jobs and handouts. America is a great country, they say – go to America, and the government will take care of you. With no allegiance to America, these immigrants are here for the money and our taxpayer-dollar benefits.

These illegals were given freedom without having to fight for it, so it means nothing to them. For Americans with roots here, a family going back to World War I and World War II, freedom is a way of life. We want to pledge allegiance to the flag and place our hands over our hearts, salute the flag and sing God Bless America – we raised our children that way. Patriotism was embedded into our children at home and at school. Patriots are willing to die for and contribute to our country – to be givers and not takers.

Illegals wrap themselves in their native countries’ flags. Where is the patriotism to the U.S.A.? Our country is going in the wrong direction. The school systems don’t allow any show of patriotism or religious beliefs thanks to the progressives and liberals. If attitudes do not change; if we don’t close our borders; if we don’t stop being politically correct; if we don’t elect a president who was raised and grew up in the United States; and if the government doesn’t stop spending/throwing our money away, we will have the fundamental change that President Obama wants.

allhans
allhans 06/11/12 - 01:00 pm
howcanweknow 12:49..I had the

howcanweknow 12:49..I had the same experience in Green Bay. I was surprised and I asked...

Shea_Addams
Shea_Addams 06/11/12 - 01:02 pm
Funny, smokeysbandit.....Burn

Funny, smokeysbandit.....Burn can directly quote and belittle your post and it doesn't get deleted. I don't get it either.

allhans
allhans 06/11/12 - 01:06 pm
The natives living in the

The natives living in the Augusta area were Creeks. Most native Americans are not recognizable as "Indian" any longer. They have been absorbed into our culture , and other than those who chose the reservation, are doing just fine (the doing just fine was stolen from Obama).

KSL
KSL 06/11/12 - 01:50 pm
There is emerging evidence

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 06/11/12 - 01:52 pm
Allhans

My experience was in Ohio. I liked living there. No problem. But, as a transplanted Southerner, I was shocked at the blatant racism I heard from the mouths of otherwise "good people". I'd never heard such offensive comments said so openly and in public. I learned right then that stereotypes and generalizations are bad. The folks there also made fun of the "ignorant briers" in Kentucky. Seems like those "Yankees" sure had a superiority complex with regard to other races and regions. It was good to get back "home" down South where folks were more considerate.

Clearly, the act of putting other folks down knows no geographical or regional boundaries.

burninater
burninater 06/11/12 - 02:03 pm
This is a perfect example of

This is a perfect example of the kind of liberal thinking I simply do not understand.

Normal people understand that the actions of their ancestors are completely and totally NOT their responsibility. To think you are somehow responsible for what your grandfather, or father, did is silly.
------------
Couldn't agree more. Although the widespread application of this type of thinking, the doctrine of original sin, points out that the belief this is solely a liberal way if thinking is clearly not accurate.

Granddaddy John
Granddaddy John 06/11/12 - 02:03 pm
Only 4% of the people of the

Only 4% of the people of the 13 southern states owned slaves.Two of the biggest slave owners where black,owning twice as many slaves as the whites.

Shea_Addams
Shea_Addams 06/11/12 - 02:07 pm
Certainly doesn't make it OK,

Certainly doesn't make it OK, does it, Burn?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/11/12 - 04:13 pm
"There is emerging

"There is emerging evidence
There is emerging evidence that nordic people lived in America years before the Indians came here."

That is a question I've asked before for the ones wanting to use the "indian" argument: "Who did they conquer to take the land from?"

Theirs is a specious point.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 06/11/12 - 04:17 pm
Robert Heinlein

...observed in one of his books about a sad little lizard who was so proud of his heritage of coming from a line of brontosaurs. I understand that reference reading today's posts.

constituent
constituent 06/11/12 - 04:31 pm
What this world coming too.

China are chopping dead babies (like chicken wings) into small pieces and dried on stoves before being turned into powder, then inserted in capsules for medicinal purposes, "immigrants what they want do."

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 06/11/12 - 05:10 pm
Legal Immigrants served their Country!

One of the immigration requirements when I came to this Country was that you had to register for the 'draft' within 30 days, another was that you could not become a 'ward of state,' and violating these and other immigration laws was basis for deportation. How many of today's illegal aliens over the age of 18 have signed up with selective service like the law requires? How many of today's illegal aliens are in 'the system' receiving medicaid, welfare, food stamps, child tax credits, etc. that they have never contributed one-cent towards? As a tax payer I am sick of supporting these criminals!

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 06/11/12 - 05:21 pm
Burn, thank you for your

Burn, thank you for your input. but I will comment as I please,

KSL
KSL 06/11/12 - 05:22 pm
Absolutely.

Absolutely.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 06/11/12 - 06:05 pm
Thank you, KSL.

Thank you, KSL.

tabletop
tabletop 06/11/12 - 06:26 pm
Illegal Aliens

Illegal aliens have more pride than democrats.

burninater
burninater 06/11/12 - 07:20 pm
Willow, in regards to your

Willow, in regards to your 6:21, what have I ever done to prevent you from commenting as you please?

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 06/11/12 - 08:25 pm
Awww, Burn, that sounded so sweet...

but, check your own comment at 1:37 p.m.

HighSociety
HighSociety 06/11/12 - 08:52 pm
I would be happy with a swap.

I would be happy with a swap. We can allow those already here to stay, and send those who continue to abuse the welfare system and choose not to work to Mexico. How long do you think it would take Mexico to secure the border?

burninater
burninater 06/11/12 - 09:15 pm
but, check your own comment

but, check your own comment at 1:37 p.m.
-------
Ah, got it. I wasn't intending to prevent you from commenting, I meant it as a legitimate question. It just really stood out in this context, because debating how we deal with our attitudes towards the history of slavery seemed so far removed from politics. Once I realized that, I realized that almost everything that's debated on these forums gets cast as an us vs them struggle of political ideology, no matter how far it might be removed from the actual politics of the day. It just struck me as something worth thinking about, I wasn't intending it to be a condemnation.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 06/11/12 - 09:18 pm
Solution is simple...

for every illegal alien deported --with a death sentence for return-- let one of the people we want, those applying and waiting within the law into the country.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 06/11/12 - 09:27 pm
dstewartsr, that sounds

dstewartsr, that sounds harsh. Maybe returning to Mexico is a death sentence for them. I'm just thinking how great it is to have been born an American citizen. I didn't do anything to earn it....just grace all the way for me.

KSL
KSL 06/11/12 - 09:28 pm
I would add a few more

I would add a few more conditions. Gainful employment, taxpaying, no public assistance for starters.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 06/11/12 - 09:28 pm
okay, burn

Thanks for the reply. No worries.

KSL
KSL 06/11/12 - 09:38 pm
I don't know, Willow. A lot

I don't know, Willow. A lot of them are going back voluntarily due to the poor economy despite what the 0 is claiming. Just the other day didn't he say the private sector is doing just fine and that what we need is more state and local jobs? The labor statistics clearly prove he is lying.

burninater
burninater 06/11/12 - 09:39 pm
howcan, I don't know if

howcan, I don't know if you're still poking around tonight, just wanted to say I didn't see your 1:35 post 'til now -- excellent post, and I support most everything you say and value in it. However, I would just have you consider that the same pride and respect that drives you to honor the spirit of the past defenders of the South is the same pride and respect that drives the descendants of slaves to want the experience of the slaves to be similarly not forgotten. It is in this way that I feel the desire to remember the good and let the bad go is misguided, and conveys the message that the memory of one set of ancestors is to be honored, and the memory of another set of ancestors is to be denied and buried. No healing can come of that.

burninater
burninater 06/11/12 - 09:42 pm
"denied" isn't the right

"denied" isn't the right word, just having a hard time coming up with the right phrase ... Maybe "let go"?

KSL
KSL 06/11/12 - 09:47 pm
Burn, great posts this

Burn, great posts this evening.

KSL
KSL 06/11/12 - 09:56 pm
I know that we had been

I know that we had been making great progress here in the south. My fear is that our current resident in the WH uses racial divisiveness for his own gains. I hate what he is doing to us.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/11/12 - 11:59 pm
For the one "downer"; I've

For the one "downer"; I've neutralized all of your senseless "thumbs down", as I diligently do every day.

As far as illegals headed back, I hope state policies are affecting that as well, since the eunuch feds won't. That fact serves to support what I've contended for years, and that is: If there is no work, the vast majority don't need to be deported, they will leave of their own volition. Just stand steadfast against those who employ illegals and the problem solves itself. As the demand rises for labor, the guest worker program will have no choice but to fill the gaps with people who come here LEGALLY.

Once-condemned hotel back in business

The building, erected in 1985, was closed in November 2013 after inspectors from the fire and health departments, along with Augusta's code enforcement division, found the hotel in a state of ...