Illegal aliens lack pride in U.S.

The United States was founded by immigrants – yes, immigrants – but these immigrants wanted their own country with a commonsense governing body.

These immigrants left countries that imprisoned them, taxed them into poverty and stripped them of their religious beliefs, dignity, dreams, hopes and aspirations. Some of them were enslaved and managed to escape to the colonies for a better life, a life of their choosing. Some sold themselves into servitude just for the chance to go to the New World. The colonists had to stick together, work together to survive.

The Revolutionary War defined who we were by defeating England. In World War I and World War II, we fought for the lives we wanted, and defeated the Nazis and Japanese. Those victories by the military are why you are speaking English and not another language.

Immigrants today want a better life like the colonists, but there is a huge difference. These immigrants come to America illegally for jobs and handouts. America is a great country, they say – go to America, and the government will take care of you. With no allegiance to America, these immigrants are here for the money and our taxpayer-dollar benefits.

These illegals were given freedom without having to fight for it, so it means nothing to them. For Americans with roots here, a family going back to World War I and World War II, freedom is a way of life. We want to pledge allegiance to the flag and place our hands over our hearts, salute the flag and sing God Bless America – we raised our children that way. Patriotism was embedded into our children at home and at school. Patriots are willing to die for and contribute to our country – to be givers and not takers.

Illegals wrap themselves in their native countries’ flags. Where is the patriotism to the U.S.A.? Our country is going in the wrong direction. The school systems don’t allow any show of patriotism or religious beliefs thanks to the progressives and liberals. If attitudes do not change; if we don’t close our borders; if we don’t stop being politically correct; if we don’t elect a president who was raised and grew up in the United States; and if the government doesn’t stop spending/throwing our money away, we will have the fundamental change that President Obama wants.

Techfan
Techfan 06/11/12 - 03:06 am
Of course, for many in the

Of course, for many in the South, they also have in their family roots, family that revolted against this country and fought in favor of maintaining slavery. If you get to take credit for actions of your ancestors and be called patriotic, should you not also take the blame and be called traitorous?

copperhead
copperhead 06/11/12 - 04:47 am
Why so much hate for the

Why so much hate for the south,techfan?

Techfan
Techfan 06/11/12 - 06:52 am
Not hate, disappointment,

Not hate, disappointment, ranging from slavery, Jim Crow, racism, secession, segregation, .... Attitudes haven't changed that much, even though a change in action was forced by the Feds, (which many here seem to hate with a passion). You can tell the lack of attitude change by many of the posters here, as well as this LTE. The hate extends to black, brown, gay, anything that differs from what isn't what they consider good white, church goin' behavior.

southernguy08
southernguy08 06/11/12 - 06:52 am
TECH...REALLY?

You're comparing illegal, I mean, undocumented aliens with confederates? Even for you, that's extreme. FYI, ITS 2012, not 1865! And Sam, come on, these people have contempt for America. They see this country as the great imperial power in the western hemisphere. And yet, they still come here because its better than their homeland. They want to come here, usually illegally, work, and send money back to the folks in the banana republic. End of story...til they get caught.

justthefacts
justthefacts 06/11/12 - 07:22 am
faithson
faithson 06/11/12 - 08:10 am
kool-aid

another kool-aid drinker who regurgitates the most extreme ideas being forwarded by the radical right. More 'religious' sentiment than political discourse. Pining for a sugar coated America that is right wing political idealism.

harley_52
harley_52 06/11/12 - 08:23 am
"If you get to take credit

"If you get to take credit for actions of your ancestors and be called patriotic, should you not also take the blame and be called traitorous?"

This is a perfect example of the kind of liberal thinking I simply do not understand.

Normal people understand that the actions of their ancestors are completely and totally NOT their responsibility. To think you are somehow responsible for what your grandfather, or father, did is silly.

To the very best of my knowledge, none of my ancestors held slaves. None were murderers, rapists, or criminals of any sort. If they had been, there would be nothing I could have done about it and, therefore, no reason for me to feel any responsibility.

My father served in the Pacific (New Guinea and other stops) during World War II. I'm proud that he did, but if he hadn't I wouldn't be responsible for it. The fact that he served isn't what makes me "patriotic," to suggest my patriotism depends on what my father did, or didn't do is, in my opinion, a clear demonstration that you don't understand the term......or even the concept.

Patriotism is associated with your viewpoint and your actions. It has nothing to do with your ancestors. Patriotism is what you believe and what those beliefs guide you to do.

omnomnom
omnomnom 06/11/12 - 08:34 am
today we salute wal*mart.

today we salute wal*mart. they sell flags there.

JRC2024
JRC2024 06/11/12 - 08:36 am
Techfan, there is nothing I

Techfan, there is nothing I can do in the present for anything that any of my relatives did yesterday or much less 10,20,30, or 150 years ago. Keep on rehashing those times and you will live an unhappy life. For me, I do not dwell in the past or even worry about it. I live in the present and plan for the future.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 06/11/12 - 08:41 am
Techfan

The civil war is over. Get over it.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/11/12 - 08:41 am
Good Morning America

Lets see if I get a downer for that one!

burninater
burninater 06/11/12 - 08:46 am
So, is it the chicken or the

So, is it the chicken or the egg that someone doesn't feel patriotic about a country that wants them to go away?

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 06/11/12 - 08:51 am
IMMIGRANTS?????

These people come to America illegally and I always take offense when these illegals are called "immigrants." They are illegal aliens because the term immigrant refers to people who have gone through the appropriate channels/paperwork to get their green cards or other appropriate paperwork from the INS. The illegals should be rounded up and deported just like the criminals they are.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/11/12 - 08:47 am
Harley - JRC - CD

Them there words that you did done posted are the truth and feelings of all "True" Americans. (Very Good)

harley_52
harley_52 06/11/12 - 08:47 am
Techfan....if you're so

Techfan....if you're so disappointed in the South, why on earth do you choose to live here?

It's a free country (as of now), why don't you move north? I suggest a vivid blue state where you'll find lots of others who share your viewpoints.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/11/12 - 08:49 am
omnomnom

Sorry, but I don't buy my American Flag that is made in China.

justthefacts
justthefacts 06/11/12 - 08:49 am
Reading between the lines?

No where did the writer say he wanted them to go away. I believe he wants them to enter legally and then embrace their new country. Is that so unreasonable?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/11/12 - 08:52 am
burninater

I want both the CHICKENS and the EGGS gone.

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 06/11/12 - 08:54 am
jtf

If they are willing to "embrace their new country" wouldn't they have respected our laws in the first place?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/11/12 - 09:22 am
Fail To Say

What the writer failed to say by using PC...."they are all criminals." Period

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/11/12 - 09:24 am
"I believe he wants them to

"I believe he wants them to enter legally and then embrace their new country."

I believe that is all the majority of us want. Yes, there are some xenophobes out there, but they are a small minority. I am much more concerned with their social and fiscal impact than their skin tone. For that matter, I think Latin women are HOT!.

smokeysbandit
smokeysbandit 06/11/12 - 10:11 am
Soapy @9;29 EXCELLENT POINT!!

Soapy @9;29 EXCELLENT POINT!! That is exactly what I have tried to explain in conversations with friends and others. Diversity does not make us stronger but rather as you so eloquently stated tears us apart. The writer is absolutely correct about the different cultures coming together and working together to build this nation into the GREATEST and STRONGEST country this world has ever seen!

omnomnom
omnomnom 06/11/12 - 10:19 am
i was making an inference

i was making an inference that money and corporations and capitalism are the new state. countries are just names on a map. hooray globalization! i mean free trade!

Granddaddy John
Granddaddy John 06/11/12 - 10:21 am
Techfan-Please learn some

Techfan-Please learn some history,the war wasn't over slavery,the South left the North in peace and Old Abe sent his army to force them back in the Union.One of the norths greastest Generals U S Grant stated if the war was being fought over slavery that he would surrender his sword to the south,and he also was president.And how about the American Flag that flew over slave ships for 80 years not the battle flag it flew over the confederate army only

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 06/11/12 - 10:23 am
Techfan

Many times, I think what hinders you from relating and communicating your beliefs effectively is the continuous comparison of the south and the north.

If those from the north see that the south has/had flaws (and we do), the north is seeing nothing short of a clear reflection of their own issues.

It's just silly to think/say or imply that the north was altruistic over slavery when you know that they were not. The north was actually jealous of the slave labor in the south, took advantage of the runaways, and used them only for great political advantage. Abraham Lincoln, himself, said he didn't get a hoot about them and if his goals could be accomplished without freeing the slaves, he certainly wouldn't be bothered with it.

Now, stop it, or no more home grown tomatoes for you!

omnomnom
omnomnom 06/11/12 - 10:23 am
they're not illegal aliens,

they're not illegal aliens, they're undocumented workers. get it? helping America guarantee low prices everyday in your produce department, & housing sector.

there are so many loops to jump through and red tape is such a hassle, to a degree i can't blame some of them for coming in illegally. my next door neighbor was an illegal immigrant somehow. married to an american for over 5 years. but had to sneak across the (get this) canadian border every time she wanted to come back from a trip to see her folks.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 06/11/12 - 10:37 am
Harley_52 wrote

Some people, Harley, are miserable and feel that they have to blame someone and in this case he/she blames someone's ancestors. Not mine, I can assure you as they were living in Europe during that horrible time in this country's history. They were smart enough to stay there as they knew that Techfan would come along and blame them.

smokeysbandit
smokeysbandit 06/11/12 - 10:47 am
@ Carleton Duvall

@ Carleton Duvall 10:37...LOL!!

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 06/11/12 - 10:59 am
The letter is a mixed bag for me..

I agree with parts of it, but the writer loses me when he assumes and judges the motivations of those who are coming across our borders....I believe so many of them are good people living in bad conditions looking for a better way for their families and their desire is to work and earn their living. I don't know how difficult the legal process may be for them. Perhaps, that is part of the problem.

The real difference between immigrants of yesterday and illegal immigrants of today, is that America now has "closed" borders.
The vast majority of the people who are legally living in the USA, did not fight for anything. Some may have ancestors who did, but many have given nothing to their country, communities or families for generations. They have "inherited" the right to live in this great country. And just as with any "inheritance", unless you reinvest back into what has been freely given, it will one day be gone.

The part of the letter I do agree with is that we must not keep going on this same political path. Come November, vote for some CHANGE.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 06/11/12 - 11:02 am
Techfan's history?

Techfan, if you knew much about the history around the Civil War you'd know that the vast majority of Confederate soldiers did not fight to preserve slavery. Most had no slaves, and didn't care about slavery. They fought because their home state and their own homes had been invaded by an aggressor that sought to do them harm. Most were protecting their homes, not fighting for the right to keep slaves in bondage.

Sure, there were some wealthy plantation owners who wanted to keep slavery for economic reasons. But, these were in the minority. In fact, if you'll do a little study (instead of just repeating worn-out propaganda) you'll see that Robert E. Lee believed that slavery was an evil and needed to be abolished. Stonewall Jackson did not believe in slavery and actually started a Sunday School program for black children. These were the leaders of the Confederate Army, and they were clearly NOT fighting to preserve slavery but to defend their homes.

I"m glad slavery was abolished. I agree with R.E. Lee that it was an evil. But, why keep bringing up something that happened 150 years ago? We have enough problems today that have nothing to do with slavery, for goodness sakes.

I sure don't hate anyone. But, I do hate it when someone constantly chirps upon incomplete or incorrect information like it is truth. Like it was said above, I-75 and I-95 run both north and south. If you hate the South so much, you're free to leave at anytime.

Let's stop focusing on historical issues like slavery, and focus instead on how to better our current situation. The past is gone. The future is all we have now, and we'd better work together to make it bright for one and all.