Motherhood is demanding

On May 30, Michael Ledo’s letter (“Ann Romney had it easy”) claimed motherhood is highly overrated and that women sucker men into believing that it’s a backbreaking job. I was stunned by these outrageous remarks.

I was raised by a stay-at-home mother, and her job was never easy. On the contrary, she worked as hard as my father, who was employed in an eight-to-five position at a textile plant. My mother reared seven children, meaning she had myriad extracurricular activities to juggle.

She cooked – not microwavable meals, I might add – and cleaned our house. She nursed us when we were sick and took the time to home-school the last four of us. It would have been simpler for her to shove us in front of the television all day and feed us Hot Pockets. Even when we left for college, she was still available in the role of therapist, listening to our troubles and offering encouragement.

If you ask my parents if my mother’s being a stay-at-home-mom was easy, they would say it was difficult at times but worth it. I’m sure there were times when a second income would have helped, but my parents made sacrifices because my mother wanted to stay home, teaching us to be well-behaved, intelligent human beings.

I applaud my parents for making this decision – for choosing the harder path.

Saying that motherhood is an overrated job is absurd. Even when a woman works outside the home, being a mother still is a full-time position. Mothers don’t get days off and don’t decide their own schedules; instead, they tend to put their children first.

Mothers deserve praise, rather than being told their occupation was tough 50 years ago but not anymore. Motherhood is, and always will be, a demanding though rewarding, job – $200 million income or not.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 06/08/12 - 11:58 pm
Both motherhood and ...

fatherhood are demanding.

Unfortunately, for many of our kids today, their female and male progenitors find parenthood too demanding.

owensjef3
owensjef3 06/09/12 - 01:34 am
Oh Boy

Oh Boy

southernguy08
southernguy08 06/09/12 - 08:08 am
Michelle Obama

Just imagine the outrage that the left would be screaming if someone had accused Michelle Obama of leaving her children for others to raise while she worked outside the home. Where is Gloria Steinem and the others who claim to be spokespeople for women? Guess you can only count on them when its a liberal involved. Typical liberal hypocrites!

harley_52
harley_52 06/09/12 - 08:15 am
What a great letter. Very

What a great letter. Very well said, Ms. Collins. Your love and appreciation for your mother is obviously heartfelt and sincere.

david jennings
david jennings 06/09/12 - 11:00 am
haven't responded until now

As I read the letter by Ledo my initial reaction was to rebutte, then after a second of thought I said to myself, no, it would just be a waste of time as far as making an effort to right Ledo' reasoning. However I am posting now to just say, Ledo has insulted my Mother, both of my Grandmothers and anyone who has ever been a Mother including his own Mother.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 06/09/12 - 04:53 pm
When you're

too stupid to have any intimate knowledge of any subject, you're apt to do 2 things: (1)write about them, (2) be a member in good standing with the democratic party. Not being famaliar with the job of a mother is liberalism 101.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/09/12 - 07:20 pm
Mothers Have It Easy, Yea Right.

My mother was pitching hay onto a hay wagon )if you don't know what that is, look it up)in 90 degree weather when her water broke. My aunt who handled the situation, said I popped into this world 20 minute later. I was the first of five. She was back in the hay field 3 days later. So many of today's mothers really don't know what a hard life is.

harley_52
harley_52 06/09/12 - 07:30 pm
Actually, I didn't take Mr.

Actually, I didn't take Mr. Ledo's letter too seriously. If you will recall, the letter appeared in the middle of a controversy resulting from comments made by Obama campaign supporters making the ridiculous claim than Mrs. Romney "never worked a day in her life" and otherwise suggesting mothers/housewives have easy jobs compared to....I don't know, liberal campaign workers, I guess.

I took Mr. Ledo's comment to be nothing more than a lliberal political statement supporting the party line. The whole thing was a tactical error by the democrat party which will certainly cost them in the long run. Alienating millions of mothers (not to mention those who love and appreciate them and what they do) was surely a political disaster.

Mr. Ledo probably loves his mother like the rest of us. What's unfortunate is that he showed the world his political agenda was more important to him than was his values, his reputation, and his own mother. I hope, for both his and her sake, she didn't hear about what he said.

harley_52
harley_52 06/09/12 - 07:35 pm
CG Said....

"I was the first of five. She was back in the hay field 3 days later. So many of today's mothers really don't know what a hard life is."

You're right about that, CG.

I was the second of thirteen. Eight boys and five girls. My mother had three children in one year. We had so many children, when my mother yelled at us she often couldn't immediately think of our name, so she ran down the list until she finally got to the right one.

I have no idea how she did what she did. My wife and I now watch our two grandchildren (3 and 5) a couple of days per week and it's a full time job for both of us. My mother was a saint.....

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 06/09/12 - 08:13 pm
Staying home.

I was a stay-at-home mom until my children left for college. I want to thank Emma Collins for writing that excellent letter standing up for stay-at-home moms. I appreciate it. If my children were still at home, I probably wouldn't have the time to read her letter or thank her for it; so I thought I would thank her on behalf of other stay-at-home moms, too.

KSL
KSL 06/09/12 - 09:20 pm
Ledo is an idiot and unworthy

Ledo is an idiot and unworthy of every post that gives him one iota of credibilty. Maybe the first time around, but he does not deserve this letter to be credible.He is a pathetic individual. He has been exposed for who he is. Maybe not. Maybe we who disagree need ti be careful. How fightening.

KSL
KSL 06/09/12 - 11:00 pm
Autumn leaves, both of my

Autumn leaves, both of my boys came home for a few months after graduation from college and from grad school. They did their own laundry, cooked for us, gave us stock market tips we made money on and assisted my husband in his business. Then off they went to take very well paying jobs no more than six months later. One started out at 6 figures in 1994 in a job that was created for him. Thats why it took a few months. The other one was hired even though they did not have a placement place for him. They didn't want to let him go. They actually paid all of his living and travel expenses (all) for a year. They out sourced him to several places. The last one, he decided to stick with. I just love the fact that we have had great children. But I give every bit of tbe credit to having great parents and great grandparents. Humane beings are not animals. They desparatly need the continuum.

Georgia Regents' hospital plan chosen