Jesus prominent in Quran

This paper has published letters regarding Jesus Christ’s teachings in the Bible. There also are many mentions of Jesus Christ in the Quran. Only a few verses are quoted here for brevity. There is much more in the Quran about Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ is considered a major prophet and messenger of God in the Quran. Quran is the holy book of Islam, revealed by God to the prophet Muhammad during the 23 years of revelations from about 610 to 633 A.D. Islam is one of the three Abrahamic religions. The other two are Judaism and Christianity.

Jesus Christ’s birth was miraculous as described in the Quran:

“Behold! the angels said: ‘ O Mary! God gives you glad tidings of a word from Him: his name will be Christ Jesus, the son of Mary, held in honor in this world and the Hereafter with those nearest to God; he shall speak to the people in childhood and in maturity, and he shall be of the righteous’. She (Mary) said: ‘O my Lord! how shall I have a son when no man has touched me?’ He said: even so: God creates what he wills: when he has decreed a plan, he just says to it: ‘be’ and it is! And God will teach him the book, and wisdom, and Torah and Gospel.” (Chapter 3, verses 45-48)

Jesus Christ’s mission, message and his miracles described in the Quran are as follows:

“And (appoint him) a messenger to the Children of Israel (with this message): I have come to you with a Sign from your Lord, in that I make for you out of clay, as it were, the figure of a bird by God’s permission; and I heal those born blind, and the lepers, and awaken the dead by God’s permission; and I declare to you what you eat, and what you store in your house. Surely therein is a Sign for you if you believe; (I have come to you) to attest the Torah, which was before me, and to make lawful to you part of what was forbidden to you; I have come to you with a Sign from your Lord, so fear God and obey me. It is God who is my Lord and your Lord; then worship Him. This is a way that is straight.” (Chapter 3, verses 49-51)

I.A. Jilani

Martinez

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 06/05/12 - 12:03 am
I learn something new every day

I am of no particular faith but I am one who believes in God. I hold no ill feelings toward Islam or any faith for that matter. There are many who believe that the whole purpose of the Quran is to make all people Muslim and kill all the ones who refuse to convert.
Jesus told his followers to spread the gospel of good news to the whole world. This is big part of the Christian faith. To spread Christianity throughout the whole world.
There are fanatics in every religion. To curse a whole faith by the actions of a few is really unfair to the people who practice thier faith peacefully.
Many will disagree with me and that is fine. I try to love God and love and care for my fellow man no matter what faith they happen to be. If I am wrong in some people's eyes that is not my problem it is thiers.I shall not change my ways because I am happy with the way I treat people. Mr or Ms. Jilani be prepared for there will be many who will disagree with you and say your religion is evil and dangerous. That is not your problem it is thiers.

carcraft
carcraft 06/05/12 - 05:51 am
Christ died and was

Christ died and was resurrected. Christ’s death for our sins, Christ’s resurrection for the Glory of God. What more do I need in life. Because of Christ slavery was ended by Christians in western civilizations, hospitals have been established and learning continues to be promulgated at large Universities. The truth is that Jesus Christ changed my life.. and western civilization for the better. This I know and I have experienced the grace of God through Jesus Christ, Christ Changed my life, and for the better!

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 06/05/12 - 06:09 am
so --christ was a historical

so --christ was a historical figure ..either christ was whom he proclaimed to be or he was not..this is found in the bible..i believe the biblical account.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/05/12 - 06:50 am
"Jesus Christ is considered a

"Jesus Christ is considered a major prophet and messenger of God in the Quran"

In the Bible, Jesus Christ is the Son of God and His mission on earth was to teach His apostles and to be a witness for both the children of Israel and Gentiles. His purpose was to die as the ultimate blood sacrifice so our sins can be forgiven and so we can have a relationship with our Heavenly Father, now and in eternity.

My Lord and Savior is more than just a mere prophet to me, He is my everything.

jic
jic 06/05/12 - 07:45 am
This makes no editorial point

This makes no editorial point whatsoever, so why isn't it in the Religion Section, where it belongs?

TParty
TParty 06/05/12 - 08:06 am
"Jesus Christ is the Son of

"Jesus Christ is the Son of God"

So is he god or not? When people call him Son of God it obviously says he is not THE god. So it's funny people worship Jesus when a lot of the commandments are about not worshiping anything other than god himself.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 06/05/12 - 08:42 am
what's the point?

I really don't understand this LTE. We all know that Jesus is an honored prophet in Islam. There is no conclusion or opinion given in the LTE. Just a restatement of what we already know. What's the real point of this LTE? I also agree that it should have been in the Your Faith section as well.

However, I can comment on what is NOT said (which, in this case, is far more important). Yes, Jesus is a "prophet" in Islam, but he is only the #2 prophet next to the greatest of all, Muhammad.

See, here's the deal: Islam denies the teaching at the very core of Christianity -- that Jesus Christ was and is God Incarnate. As a Muslim might say, "Allah come to earth in the form of a man". Christians worship Christ as God. To Islam, that is an utmost blasphemy, and to admit that can get you killed in some nations today. (so much for the "tolerance" of Islam).

So, the LTE is nice and factual. But, it tries to sidestep the real issue. Islam and Christianity -- though having some similarities -- could not be more different at the core beliefs. If Mr./Ms. Jilani is trying to harmonize Islam and Christianity, they failed. It's impossible to do so. If they are trying say, "Hey, Islam is not bad. We honor Jesus too.", well, that is correct. But again, what Jilani fails to report is the "rest of the story" that is the real heart of the issue. Islam would cut the very heart out of Christianity. No, they are not at all the same.

Lastly, TParty, again you speak of what you do not understand. How many times do we have to point that out? The NT shouts out the fact that Jesus Christ was GOD. For example, read John 1. The Word (God) became flesh and lived with us. Isaiah also foretold that by saying "Immanuel" or "God with us" when he described the coming Messiah.

You don't have to believe Jesus was indeed God incarnate, but you can't deny that is the extremely clear and direct biblical teaching.

southernguy08
southernguy08 06/05/12 - 09:04 am
JESUS IN THE QURAN

Mr. Jilani, if he's so prominent in the Quran, why don't more Muslims listen to his message of peace and acceptance of others? Do you see Christians using themselves as suicide bombers or decapitating people who don't agree with them? Do you see Christian leaders calling for "Holy war" against those who are not of the Christian faith? Basically, you're telling me that Muslims are picking and choosing the parts of the Quran they want to follow. Is THAT true Islam?

Techfan
Techfan 06/05/12 - 09:17 am
"Because of Christ slavery

"Because of Christ slavery was ended by Christians in western civilizations,"??????? After over 1800 years?? Evidently folks were a little slow on that one.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 06/05/12 - 09:34 am
yep

Absolutely, Techfan. If folks would have followed the teachings of Christ 2000 years ago, slavery would have ended then and there.

But, we fail to learn much. As a whole, mankind still rejects what Jesus said. As a consequence, our news is filled with murder, stealing, etc.

faithson
faithson 06/05/12 - 09:53 am
Hummmm...

First of all, according to the life and teachings of 'Jesus', sacrifice is OUT as a means to worship. Faith is the only requirement, faith of a child in its parents was a prime example. As to a westernized christian religion as found in 600 AD, no self respecting Bedouin would find it to their liking and as such these desert tribesman were rounded up wholesale and given a choice, Allah or the sword. Who wouldn't get down on their knees. As the theology was spread by the sword throughout this region it did have the effect of civilizing a whole population under the guise of ONE God, an advance over the multiple Gods of the desert (Stone at mecca comes to mind). As with all the worlds 'man-made' religions, there is always room for improvement and Americanized Muslims are a case in point for the SLOW advance of the theology they embrace. Christians have the same problems, I sure have no desire to go back to the pre-vatican II days in the Catholic church even though many would love to take us BACK there.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 06/05/12 - 10:01 am
Wow. I get three "thumbs

Wow. I get three "thumbs down" for simply stating the true facts without spin. Just trying to clarify the real story.

Retired Army
Retired Army 06/05/12 - 10:36 am
howcanweknow writes: "Are

howcanweknow writes: "Are people that opposed to hearing the truth? What is it about the truth that makes folks too uncomfortable?"

Ummm, maybe because some folks don't believe your idea of truth as is their God given right(and responsibility) to do so and don't appreciate sanctimonious attempts at shoving it down their throats guised as "Saving their souls"?

This "my God is the only way and you're going to Hell if you don't believe as we do" school of thought is the cause of an awful lot of harm in this world.

How about this. There is a God and yours may not be it.

Now that very thought makes a lot of folks very uncomfortable, however, I don't think God gave each of us brains and free will to be soley comfortable. The ideas of God and God's power are ever evolving and none of us have all the answers, but I do know this. It is, as God intended, a personal choice and thank God for that. Makes for a wonderful Spiritual Adventure, not chaining ones self to man made ideology. Spiritual travelers really do enjoy the journey without a thought to others perceived ideas of destination.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 06/05/12 - 10:38 am
Wrong, RA

RA, please re-read my earlier post. I did not editorialize or evangelize at all. All I did was state the facts concerning what Islam believes vs. what Christianity believes.

I did not condemn anyone's "choice", as you are so quick to jump conclusions. Methinks you protest too much here? Why so defensive? Did something hit too close to home?

Again, all I did was point out the truth and the whole truth that the LTE avoided. No spin. Just the facts. I didn't say you had to believe one way or the other, but just know the truth behind these faiths.

You can take or leave Islam. You can take or leave Christianity. But, you can't leave the plain facts derived right from the holy books of these faiths. You can twist interpretation, but not the truth. That's dishonest.

Retired Army
Retired Army 06/05/12 - 10:44 am
howcanweknow writes: "Again,

howcanweknow writes: "Again, all I did was point out the truth and the whole truth that the LTE avoided. No spin. Just the facts."

Your insistence that these ARE the FACTS(emphasis mine)betray your arguement. They may be your FACTS however, I can assure you that they are not the FACTS to others. God is a whole lot bigger than that kind of narrow thinking.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 06/05/12 - 10:48 am
RA: "The ideas of God and

RA: "The ideas of God and God's power are ever evolving."

Hebrews 13:8 : "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever."

'Nuff said.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 06/05/12 - 10:49 am
huh?

RA, all I did was go back to the original documents and state what is there. As the LTE says, the Quran lauds Jesus as a prophet, but nothing more. The Bible says Jesus is God Incarnate (Jesus himself stakes that claim).

That is the only truth I was pointing out. There's no betrayal of facts.

Can you deny those facts? Where is my error? If you are so certain, please point out where I have made a mistake in relaying this info.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 06/05/12 - 11:13 am
Simple logic

Forget theology or religion here. Let's just analyze with simple logic:

Islam: Only Allah is God. Muhammad is the great prophet. Jesus Christ, though respected, was a lesser prophet and prophet only.

Christianity: Jesus Christ was God Incarnate, and is the only way for mankind to be restored to God. Muhammad was a false prophet who distorted the plain truth of the Bible.

Now, from even a cursory understanding of the basics of these 2 faiths, you can easily see they are very incompatible. The teach very different things, and both cannot be correct.

An atheist would quickly point out that both Islam and Christianity could be wrong, and logically, the atheist would be correct in that analysis.

But, Islam and Christianity cannot both be right. Logically, we are not given that option. They totally contradict each other at the very heart of their belief system.

Any questions?

Retired Army
Retired Army 06/05/12 - 11:13 am
howcanweknow writes: "'Nuff

howcanweknow writes: "'Nuff said."

“There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is contempt prior to investigation.”

—Herbert Spencer

southernguy08
southernguy08 06/05/12 - 11:13 am
Retired Army

As for having a faith shoved down anyone's throat, what do you call Muslim leaders' call for war on "infidels?" INFIDEL: One who does not believe in any religion or adheres to a religion other than one's own. Attacks on Christian temples in Pakistan and Muslim countries' like Saudi Arabia refusing to allow their citizens with faiths other than Islam to be buried because it would "poison" the ground speaks volumes of their acceptance of anyone who is not Muslim.

Retired Army
Retired Army 06/05/12 - 11:14 am
howcanweknow writes: "But,

howcanweknow writes: "But, Islam and Christianity cannot both be right."

Yeah, but they can damn sure both be wrong.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 06/05/12 - 11:18 am
RA, quote whomever you want.

RA, quote whomever you want.

All I did was simply point out that you are free to believe what you wish. We love freedom of speech in this nation, and have it (at least for now).

The Bible, interestingly enough, addresses the issue of an "evolving God", and presents another side of the argument.

To me, that's all I need to know. It's 'nuff said. But others, like yourself, would disagree. That is fine. All opinions are welcome on this forum.

For me, I'll take the opinion of the Bible over that of Hebert Spencer or anyone else.

Retired Army
Retired Army 06/05/12 - 11:18 am
Oh, and the little ploy of

Oh, and the little ploy of dismissal for my and millions of others belief system as Athiest doesn't carry much water here.

I believe their is a God(Sorry Bill Maher, you're a very funny man and right about many things-not this)

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 06/05/12 - 11:21 am
Your point?

RA: "Yeah, but they can damn sure both be wrong."

Yes, I agree. And I said that very thing in my post, if you'll go back and re-read it. Thanks for reiterating my point.

(although, I did not use the more colorful language that you seem to prefer)

Retired Army
Retired Army 06/05/12 - 11:27 am
howcanweknow writes: "I'll

howcanweknow writes: "I'll take the opinion of the Bible"

Well, now that's excellent progress. Bringing the Bible to where it rightfully belongs. An Opinion. That's the kind of progress I can hope for in all of us.

Now, I know that this little Freudian slip will be contested or possibly even be retracted, but the point is that in each and every human heart deep down somewhere are questions. Always will be as God intended. It's a good thing. A gift. It separates us from blind instinct.

faithson
faithson 06/05/12 - 11:32 am
truth

question is: does truth 'evolve' or is it static and crystallized as so many seem to believe. evolving truth takes a lot more effort, not as easy as 'I read it in a book', more like I 'lived' it and there must be MORE....

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 06/05/12 - 11:34 am
Agreed

RA: "I much prefer the Idea of a God of Loving Mercy rather than the man made idea of a God of terrible swift justice. Truth is that most folks really don't want justice when it comes to their own transgressions. They'd much prefer mercy."

RA, I'm with you. The last thing we all really want is "justice" because we all know of our transgressions. This is exactly what Christianity teaches, and what sets it apart from Islam and other religions.

If you look at religion, they are all pretty uniform in that you try to "do good", and hopefully this will balance out your transgressions such that God will accept you. This is what Islam is all about.

Christianity says that God, though being a God of justice, is also a God of Grace and forgiveness -- and he has provided a vehicle for that forgiveness in Jesus Christ. In Christianity, we're taught that, "Hey, you're NOT a good person. You fail. But, that's OK. God will love and accept you, warts and all, because Jesus suffered for your transgressions and paid your penalty." That's what sets Christianity apart from "religion". You'll never be able to work your way to God. You're incapable. But, that's OK. God came to you instead.

So, if I understand your words correctly, you're not nearly as far from Christianity as you say, actually. Much closer than you think....

DMPerryJr
DMPerryJr 06/05/12 - 12:47 pm
I just Would Not Lock Horns

with RA. The dude has some great chops. Quick witted. Obviously well-read. And to top it off, some ultra caustic sarcasm coated with just enough magnanimous persiflage that the victim stays completely engaged, oblivious to the fact that he/she is being easily torn apart.
I tip my hat to you, Sir.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 06/05/12 - 12:49 pm
I don't lock horns. I just

I don't lock horns. I just stick with the truth. As long as you do that, you can't go wrong.

playlikethunder
playlikethunder 06/05/12 - 12:58 pm
tea party, if you have ever

tea party, if you have ever graced a Sunday School class you would not even ask such a question.