Ann Romney had it easy

One of the most overrated jobs is motherhood. Nearly half the people on the planet are able to perform it. If you can use a television to baby-sit and push a button on a microwave, you have 90 percent of being an at-home mom accomplished. The person who really liberated women was the man who invented permanent-press.

Ann Romney outside Fenway Park in Boston  AP
AP
Ann Romney outside Fenway Park in Boston

Women scam men by claiming it is hard work. It was – 50 years ago.

When Ann Romney, wife of presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney, claims she chose to be an at-home mom, this raises issues. Most women are not rich enough to have that choice. Also, this makes Ann a gross underachiever, because even women who have that option can and do balance careers with parenting.

Normally the wife is off-limits in a campaign. That is, until the candidate claims she is his chief economic advisor – someone who never earned a paycheck.

Yes, Ann Romney has had it tough having to raise five boys with a $200 million checkbook, trying to squeeze in charity work and horseback riding. We should all have it so tough.

Michael Ledo

Windsor, S.C.

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 05/30/12 - 12:58 am
Really?

Wow...talk about wealth envy. I don't have to add anything to this. It speaks volumes about the writer.

desertcat6
desertcat6 05/30/12 - 04:59 am
Being rich in and of itself,

Being rich in and of itself, doesn't make you happy, smarter, a better cook, a dedicated partner, or emotionally stable. What you do with your money, the choices you make for your family, and your actions are important. Personal priorities speak volumes. If you had the choice, would you or your partner raise your kids personally or pursue a career?

carcraft
carcraft 05/30/12 - 06:20 am
What a joke, Mitt and Ann

What a joke, Mitt and Ann raised children that seem well adjusted productive human beings. There are a lot of poor and wealthy families that haven't done nearly that well with thier children. Is who had it toughtest is some kind of new criteria? Obama went to one of the most expensive prep schools in America and smoked dope! Did he have it tougher than my dog? Who cares...

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 05/30/12 - 06:26 am
what a sad comment...every

what a sad comment...every couple has a choice ...my wife and i raised 4 on basically 1 paycheck..we were probably looked upon as poor or stupid my wife is a RN.but quess what we have 4 great kids we both work now and we have never doubted the sacrfices we made when we were younger to have a family..material wealth vrs family its a no brainer to me..and i agree whether your ultra rich or scrapping by raising children is a full time HARD job..full of pitfals and yet full of rewards..its whats important to the heart.

skeptic griggsy
skeptic griggsy 05/30/12 - 06:29 am
Book

Welcome back, Michael! Your book is so good.
A study notes that women who do more than stay home are happier as they are with other adults.
Reactionaries don't like facts so they cheerfully make up theirs and claim we cannot take the facts!

agustinian
agustinian 05/30/12 - 06:38 am
Say it ain't so

Half of us cannot do the job of mother. I've tried to stay home and raise kids -- it is much easier to go to some mindless, deadend job than to raise kids meaningfully --teach them to read, to be a decent human being, to learn the essence of being an American citizen, to respect the feelings of others. If half of us can do this job -- why do we have kids who are so screwed up?

Becoming a mother is a physical act, being a mother is an all-consuming job. Equating the two demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of what it takes to raise children who are contributors to society.

owensjef3
owensjef3 05/30/12 - 06:43 am
Not good Mr. Letter writer.

Not good Mr. Letter writer.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 05/30/12 - 06:55 am
Mothers are great

My wife and I were married fifty five years and would still be if she hadn't passed away twelve years ago. We both had jobs. Mine was to work six days a week outside of the home, hers was to work seven days a week inside the home. She was far more successful than me. She raised three children and took care of all of the household duties. I won't list her duties here as everyone knows what they are. To belittle a woman's responsibilities in this paper is insane.

southernguy08
southernguy08 05/30/12 - 07:17 am
Liberals and money

It amazes me how liberals can ignore facts when its convenient. Now, they want to throw Mitt Romney's money, which he earned, in his face. Funny, when John Kennedy, born with a silver spoon in his mouth from one of the wealthiest families in America, was running, this wasn't a problem. When John Kerry, whose billionaire wife, Teresa Heinz Kerry of the Heinz Ketchup Empire, was running, again, not a problem. But somehow America, there's a problem when the money has a R by the political affiliation. Liberals...can't understand their lack of logic...just gotta call em on it. Yeah, I'm laughing.

JohnBrownAug
1962
JohnBrownAug 05/30/12 - 07:26 am
Raising kids, being a worthy

Raising kids, being a worthy influence on their personalities, giving them values, making them feel loved and appreciated is something that should be treasured. It can be found in the poorest to wealthiest families....or not.

Insider Information
Insider Information 05/30/12 - 07:41 am
Happy Mother's Day!

Translation of Michael's letter....

Dear Mom,

You did a job any monkey with a TV and a remote could do. I owe nothing to you. I changed my diaper. I taught myself to tie my shoes. In fact, I breastfed myself. And, that whole labor thing? Piece of cake. Months of morning sickness? So, what? Thanks for nothing. Oh, and happy belated Mother's Day.

Your son,
Michael

Bruno
Bruno 05/30/12 - 07:48 am
"One of the most overrated

"One of the most overrated jobs is motherhood. Nearly half the people on the planet are able to perform it."

There is a difference between reproducing and mothering. If the letter writer's parents did a better job of mothering and fathering he would know the difference.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/30/12 - 08:14 am
"One of the most overrated

"One of the most overrated jobs is motherhood. Nearly half the people on the planet are able to perform it. If you can use a television to baby-sit and push a button on a microwave, you have 90 percent of being an at-home mom accomplished."

I read the first three sentences and thought "this man has no clue!"

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/30/12 - 08:19 am
I hope Michael's mom doesn't

I hope Michael's mom doesn't read this letter. :(

JRC2024
JRC2024 05/30/12 - 08:26 am
Mr Ledo what did you drink

Mr Ledo what did you drink before you penned this letter. Thank goodness your mother did not raise me. Mine did a wonderful job and I am very grateful for the many years she was there to teach me the important things in life like honesty, hard work, respect for others and all the good things in life. I feel sorry for all the children who do not have that guidance. I love my mother with all my heart.

faithson
faithson 05/30/12 - 08:39 am
missed the point

the real question is how much time Mitt spent helping to raise those 5 boys. One of the great misnomers of our times is that all the time men spent 'making money' somehow justifies their lack of a relationship with their children, a relationship that is essential in BOTH lives. I have seen many a 'man of means' who's children were clueless because Dad was always at work.

LMH
LMH 05/30/12 - 08:42 am
This SAH vs. working mom crap

This SAH vs. working mom crap was settled by women a long time ago. None of us appreciate this attempt at beating a very dead horse.

My question is this -so what if Ann Romney had it "easy"? Lucky her.

Those of us that don't bite the bullet and do what we have to do. Often times, mothers can't stay at home because they have no support from the fathers of their children. Ann Romney most certainly did have that support, so she chose to nurture their children at home. She married a man with morals and a sense of responsibility -- this only makes the job of motherhood easier. His hard work was rewarded and as his help-mate at home he made sure she reaped the benefits as well. Good for her.

If you really want to see "lazy, have it easy, not-working, money-spending, getting more credit than they are due" women, take at look at some of these athletes' girlfriends, wives, and baby mamas --- pretty to look at, hardly ever anything upstairs, but, boy, do they know how to spend the loot.

I doubt seriously if any of them could balance a household checkbook, but I bet Ann Romney could teach them.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 05/30/12 - 09:44 am
Wow

If I've learned anything over the years, it's to keep my mouth shut when I really don't know what I'm talking about. For example, I will never write about rocket science. I'm not a rocket scientist. I've never studied astrophysics. I've never personally ventured outside our atmosphere or orbited the earth. In my opinion, that disqualifies me from writing about rocket science. If I did write such a book, all that would produce would be mutually assured ignorance.

Mr. Ledo's letter is fine example of such nonsense. He's never been a mom. He has no real clue about what a mom does, and the hours she spends tending to her children and family. He knows nothing of the emotional toll exacted on a mom by her kids. He is clueless. Absolutely clueless about this topic.

Yet, he's very ready to tell us that motherhood today is "overrated", and insult a mother in a public forum -- in which she, conveniently, cannot respond to his intolerant and hateful words.

This has to be one of the most ridiculous opinions I've ever seen here, and maybe even exceeds the level of nonsense in the letters we read by Kevin Palmer and Lowell Greenbaum (if that is possible).

Mr. Ledo has thinly disguised his wealth envy, liberal partisanship, and just downright meanness in a letter criticizing a mother he's never met. What gall to pontificate about motherhood when you've never been a mother yourself! Mr. Ledo hates Ann Romney simply because she has more money than he does, and he's not shy about venting his anger about it. What a self-centered, childish rant.

It does not take a rocket scientist to see the real motive behind this letter. His lack of personal experience regarding this situation is irrelevant (to him, at least). He has an agenda, and he will trumpet that agenda even if he has to insult any number of mothers to do so.

I take home only one thing from this letter: Mr. Ledo needs a mom to teach him better, and take away his toys until he learns his lesson and grows up a bit.

Insider Information
Insider Information 05/30/12 - 09:49 am
War on Women Rages on

Michael either (a) has no children or (b) had a really messy break up with the mother of his children.

Either way, the Left's war on women rages on. The Left claims to be "pro-choice," but when a mom chooses to be a mom and chooses to raises children, the Left attacks, demeans and belittles.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/30/12 - 09:58 am
Wealth Envy

Depending on how many Michaels there are in the U.S., Obama might just get some traction with his wealth envy campaign. Of course, he uses the term "fair share" or "fair shake" instead of wealth envy, but we know what he means.

allhans
allhans 05/30/12 - 09:58 am
This LTE should nevr have

This LTE should nevr have been written.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 05/30/12 - 10:00 am
retract it?

Totally agree with Allhans. I'm against most censorship, but this LTE was just over the top.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 05/30/12 - 10:11 am
defense of women

Yeah, where are the self-avowed feminist posters here? Shouldn't they be on here soundly condemning Mr. Ledo's attitude toward mothers? I'm not a mom, but I would be extremely offended by the LTE if I were a woman.

Interesting, isn't it, that our familiar Conservative posters are rising up in defense of women's rights, whereas our Liberal friends are strangely silent.

It's not the Right that is waging a war on women, despite what the Left continues to tell us.

Dudeness
Dudeness 05/30/12 - 10:14 am
I can see where this writer

I can see where this writer would think that being a stay-at-home mother is a simple job because I used to think the same thing...until I actually had a child. Now, there are some days when I feel like I am losing my mind and I actually look forward to going to work for a sanity break as much as I love our newborn. What this writer refers to as parenting is actually just babysitting. Being a parent is about a lot more than keeping a child distracted until someone else comes along to actually care for the child and raise it. The problem with many children today is that people who should be parents are actually just babysitting until the child is old enough for society to take care of it. I can not imagine being a single parent since I would be spending all of my time simply trying to survive each day and not have the time to actually "parent". Most stay-at-home moms that I know are actually struggling check to check each week. This is by no means a "rich" thing.

Since family is off limits in a campaign only until the President/candidate confirms that his opinions are shaped by discussions with them, does that mean that Obama's wife and daughters are now in play since they played a role in Obama's changing his opinion (again) on gay marriage and affects his not defending the DOMA?

dichotomy
dichotomy 05/30/12 - 10:14 am
Mr. Ledo obviously supports a

Mr. Ledo obviously supports a failed candidate who cannot run on the results of his first term so Mr. Ledo chooses to attack the wife of the opposition candidate. At least I haven't heard any stories about Ann Romney flying her kids, at the taxpayer's expense, to France to eat ice cream. If Ann Romney was "privileged" because her husband was wealthy at least her husband EARNED the money that allowed her to stay home and successfully raise a fine family.

Jake
Jake 05/30/12 - 10:17 am
Politics

The attempt to make "motherhood" a political issue is really scraping the bottom of the barrel. Many of your comments above have pretty well said what I would have said.

southernguy08
southernguy08 05/30/12 - 10:22 am
FAITHSON

I read your 8:39 post, MISSED THE POINT, regarding Mitt Romney's involvement in raising his sons. I wonder, do you ask this same question of Barack Obama? Unless I'm mistaken, he has children too.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 05/30/12 - 10:33 am
The letter writer is well

The letter writer is well known for his outspoken opinions. AR even had him on his show once to see if his in person persona was as extreme as his writing. It wasn't....

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 05/30/12 - 10:36 am
Outspoken opinions are fine.

Outspoken opinions are fine. We are all entitled to those. But, I think when you cross the line and openly insult people -- motherhood is "overrated", for crying out loud! -- you reveal much more about your inner self than the people you are criticizing. Sad.

Retired Army
Retired Army 05/30/12 - 10:36 am
Jake, welcome to the 2000

Jake, welcome to the 2000 club.

Ledo, that was dumb.

Morning wreck slows traffic

Expect delays at Peach Orchard Road near Bobby Jones Expressway after a wreck involving an 18-wheeler.