Keep the CSRA beautiful

Remember the old commercial showing the American Indian who had tears rolling down his cheeks because of littering? You couldn’t see him today because he would be covered up with cigarette butts, candy wrappers and other trash.

I live in a subdivision in which you pay dues and have covenants about what you can’t do. Apparently, you get a pass to have bits of trash in your yard, and an attitude of not moving onto the curb or God forbid into the street to pick up trash.

At a supermarket in Martinez, they have these plant islands all over the parking lot. They had the bright idea to put charcoal chips around these small trees. Apparently, those chips are a magnet for cigarette butts. I picked 33 butts and 37 out of the two right in front of the store. I told a store employee to tell the manager about what I had found. He did nothing.

I see plastic shopping buggies that mothers use to put their small children in, with candy wrappings still left in the cart. I saw a teen, running late, smoking as fast as she could because her mother wanted to leave. So she just throws her lighted cigarette in the parking lot.

Drive down the roads and just look at the amount of trash on the side of and in the roads. Does anybody care anymore?

Alan Brown

Martinez

debbiep38
debbiep38 05/26/12 - 01:20 am
Short answer Alan, NO

Short answer Alan, NO

desertcat6
desertcat6 05/26/12 - 05:47 am
Yes, I care. Kudos to the new

Yes, I care. Kudos to the new silver Chevy pickup with dealer tags spewing trash out of the cardboard box on Washington Rd between William Few and WalMart the other day.

JRC2024
JRC2024 05/26/12 - 08:53 am
Does unpublished mean the

Does unpublished mean the comment was removed by the chronicle editors?

ARC fan
ARC fan 05/26/12 - 09:58 am
Litter

The answer to your question is "no" - nobody cares. I pick up on average 3-4 large bags of litter every weekend at a local high school during the school year. Some kids have actually thrown trash on the ground a few feet away from me while I am doing this.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 05/26/12 - 10:52 am
ARCfan

You are wrong. You care. Desertcat6 cares and I care. That is three that I know of and i am sure that there are others. Kudos to you for caring and show that you care by being part of the solution.

specsta
specsta 05/26/12 - 02:50 pm
Magician's Trick

I sometimes think that smokers think that their cigarette butts/trash will magically disappear into nothing, and that's why they throw them all over the place.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 05/26/12 - 02:54 pm
Me, too.

I care. I've filled up plenty of trash bags with litter when I've walked each neighborhood I've lived in. You wouldn't believe the number of cigarette butts I've picked up in the front yard. Picking up trash in a mile or two walk is a good work out, but use caution: you definitely need to wear gloves. You would not believe what people toss onto the ground. BTW, a special request to law enforcement: please don't snap your cigarettes and or ashes out the car window. That is not only littering; it is a fire hazard. Please set a good example for other people. It's unfair; but I would like you to adhere to a higher standard than most of the people you serve adhere to.

Jake
Jake 05/26/12 - 03:42 pm
Good citizens

It is good to read the above comments in regards to picking up litter. It isn't that hard to do and you get a little exercise as well. Autumn Leaves is correct about the gloves. I hate it when people in my neighborhood pick up after their dog poops and then leaves the mess wrapped up for someone else to pick up. Of course not picking up at all is even worse.

allhans
allhans 05/26/12 - 10:26 pm
BLIND policeman.

I love it!!!!!

SC Speaker Harrell quits, pleas guilty

COLUMBIA - Suspended South Carolina House Speaker Bobby Harrell has pleaded guilty to six campaign fiance violations and agreed to resign from office.