Been to D.C. 'since 9-11'?

No longer may a citizen walk up the historic, world-famous steps of our nation’s Capitol building, or the steps of the United States Senate, or the steps of the United States House of Representatives, or the steps of the United States Supreme Court.

Not since 9-11.

Security is so tight in Washington it is scary. Police are everywhere and security screening, sometimes multiple screenings, is commonplace. The number of visible law enforcement agencies is mind-boggling – D.C. Police, Capitol Police, Supreme Court Police, U.S. Marshals, Secret Service, Secret Service Police, Park Rangers and Pentagon Police, just to name the ones we saw on a recent visit.

No longer may a citizen enter the Capitol without a guide from the visitors’ center or a congressional office – “not since 9-11,” according to a guard blocking the entrance way.

We went to catch the subway, a small underground trolley that connects the Senate office buildings with the Capitol, only to find that only those accompanied by congressional staff are permitted to ride the subway “since 9-11.”

Taxis are prohibited from stopping on Pennsylvania Avenue and the other streets that surround the Justice Department “for security reasons.” Really? And the FBI has closed its building to tours “since 9-11.” The FBI? Closed?

Osama bin Laden is laughing in his watery grave.

J. David Roper

Martinez

Comments (11)

Retired Army
Retired Army 05/24/12 - 06:05 am

Sad but true. On my last

Sad but true. On my last visit, which will probably be my last visit this was my experience also.

I used to tout a family trip to DC as an all important top of the list summer vacation. So much to see and do. I would suggest extra time and care in planning such a trip these days.

At least we do have the consolation of a watery grave and with the progress being made under the current administration we can look forward to a return of the time when liberty was just that.

Techfan
Techfan 05/24/12 - 06:16 am

United States Capitol subway

"United States Capitol subway system
The systems are open to public insofar as members of the public must be escorted by a staff member with proper identification. This is usually during a tour of the Capitol Complex. However, during votes, the House subway is restricted to Congressional members only. The Russell subway is restricted to members and staff only during times when the Senate is voting.
Since the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, restrictions have been placed on visitors using the Senate subway between the Hart and Dirksen buildings." Wiki

Techfan
Techfan 05/24/12 - 06:49 am

Only in AC would you get a

Only in AC would you get a thumbs down for posting the rules and regs for visiting federal office buildings.

Shea_Addams
Shea_Addams 05/24/12 - 07:34 am

Tech....I got a thumbs down

Tech....I got a thumbs down on a post after I deleted it. Go figure. Nuts abound everywhere.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 05/24/12 - 08:13 am

These are the days we live in

There has to be the extra security. Don't blame the cops. Blame the terrorists.

TParty
TParty 05/24/12 - 08:22 am

This is what happens when we

This is what happens when we allow our country to become a police state.

kmb413
kmb413 05/24/12 - 09:06 am

Visited in April

I took my children to D.C. in April. We had a great time, though my children are too young to know anything but a hightened security. My son was only 3 months old on 9-11. The world as they know it has always been this way.

In order to tour the White House, you have to go to the website and pre-register so that a background check can be done. Luckily, the kids weren't so interested in the White House.

Overall, we had a good time, went to various Smithsonians. I think my children would have been disappointed if they had known how it was before 9-11. I guess what you don't know doesn't hurt you.

Techfan
Techfan 05/24/12 - 10:33 am

I think there are some who

I think there are some who would probably give a thumbs down if I said, "Good morning."

Techfan
Techfan 05/24/12 - 10:42 am

And I was correct.

And I was correct.

Jake
Jake 05/24/12 - 10:45 am

Thumbody doesn't like you

A lot of times folks will just look at your name and give you a thumbs down, or up, without probably reading or looking at what you posted.

omnomnom
omnomnom 05/24/12 - 10:45 am

ya'll need to pay more

ya'll need to pay more attention to American Idol. Been to a First Friday lately? Police on every corner some times. the blowback done blown back on us.

twolane
twolane 05/25/12 - 12:25 am

but yet a married couple who

but yet a married couple who are not on any guest list can walk into a party and have their picture taken with the president and have small talk with him

specsta
specsta 05/25/12 - 01:24 am

We are living in a police

We are living in a police state and a surveillance society. There is even a company selling street lights to cities that contain video cameras and audio recorders. Big Brother is alive and well. But who's watching the watchers?

I like my privacy. Most folks give up their personal information to complete strangers without even blinking. Why does a store need my zip code or phone number if I am paying cash? And our SSNs were never meant to used for ID purposes. Folks need to opt-out of supplying personal info to these companies.

Officials say errors made in meeting

Officials with the Richmond County Health Department acknowledged Thursday that public health employees improperly denied requests for information and attempted to bar photographs during a public ...