Comments were offensive

The Rev. Chris Waters stated in the May 15 article covering the rally in front if the courthouse (“Event ‘not a protest’”) that “white commissioners representing a minority of Augustans were making decisions for the black majority.”

I would remind the good minister that the same comment can be made by the majority-white Americans being represented by a black president. Waters’ comment doesn’t just border on racist – it goes over the line.

Perhaps if all the folks on the Augusta Commission could quit looking at the color of their skin and pay attention in those meetings to the details of the laws they’re voting on, rallies would not be necessary. Of course, this could be good ol’ politics as usual, but I would hate to accuse Rev. Waters of such a thing.

David Bryan

North Augusta, S.C.

Retired Army
Retired Army 05/15/12 - 11:47 pm
Hey David. Y'all ain't got no

Hey David. Y'all ain't got no newspaper over there in Nawth Augusta?

Maybe the ministers remarks offended you, but I do not go to my brothers house to tell him his wife is ugly.

If you would like to comment on our community, move here and pay taxes here. I did and I do.

desertcat6
desertcat6 05/16/12 - 05:52 am
Attacking the messenger is

Attacking the messenger is another liberal tactic used to divert attention from the embarassing issue. The Reverend may have let his true feelings out when speaking after the rally and you have to wonder why he had to add the word "white" in front of commissioners. Does he believe "white" men can't represent people of other color? Does he believe color is more important than ideas, character or ability? Instead of discussing these issues, or the concept of race based voter representation in Augusta, the early strike states it's essentially none of your business and rude. Hardly, these are the exact same issues communities are facing, but are unwilling to discuss across the country. I did and I do, Indeed.

americafirst
americafirst 05/16/12 - 07:02 am
You don't have to live in

You don't have to live in Augusta to recognize a racist comment. You just hear them more often.

southernguy08
southernguy08 05/16/12 - 07:33 am
REVEREND WATERS

Hey Retired Army, I DO LIVE HERE AND PAY TAXES HERE! I found "Reverend" Waters comments offensive and racist. Too bad that so many people conveniently ignore racism practiced by races other than white. It does exist, folks. Ignoring it doesn't mean it isn't there.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 05/16/12 - 09:08 am
Agreed

When a liberal can't dispute the message, they demean and even vilify the messenger. Guess that gives them some sad satisfaction that they've done all they can (they believe) to silence the truth.

Glad folks can see through this dishonest and futile tactic. Mr. Waters' comments were racist and divisive. That's the simple truth that anyone with common sense can easily understand.

If a white person from Columbia County complained about black commissioners making decisions for the "white majority", that person would be condemned mercilessly for their backward, racist opinion (and rightly so). But, when a black pastor makes the very same comment, he is given a pass and is still respected by his community.

Truth is, racism works both ways. Unfortunately, many demand that it be totally one-sided and favor one race over the other. Why is it that Mr. Waters judges by skin color, instead of character content?

allhans
allhans 05/16/12 - 09:40 am
I hear Sharpton is coming to

I hear Sharpton is coming to town. Will it be a fund-raiser or a plea for good people to step forward and talk about the crime rate in our town.

faithson
faithson 05/16/12 - 09:58 am
as long as the residual of

as long as the residual of the Walker crowd are in power among the Black community there will be division. And along with that attitude goes the counter in the white community of not trusting what the minority leadership is up to.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 05/16/12 - 10:01 am
Past vs. Future

I don't think anyone is ever against examining every issue very closely. That's good gov't practice, and things should be evaluated thoroughly. That's not the issue here.

The issue is that a black pastor has accused white commissioners of being incapable of making decisions that will benefit the black community. I'm sorry, but that comment smacks of blatant racism. Again, if a white person expressed that sentiment he/she would be run out of town on a rail. But, apparently it's more than OK for a black pastor (i.e., community leader) to express that racist opinion publically. It's a double standard that, apparently, the black community endorses and practices very openly.

I am not an Augusta native. Frankly, I don't care about the past problems, or how things used to be. I want our leaders and community to come together and focus on a future that is good for ALL citizens, regardless of race. Judging by this recent "non-protest" rally, it is very apparent that not all people in Augusta share this same goal. It is this attitude that will prevent this city from moving forward, and will instead continue to shackle us to the past. Is that what you really want?

harley_52
harley_52 05/16/12 - 10:03 am
I see "Retired Army" has

I see "Retired Army" has developed a new rule that one can only complain about issues in their own town/city and must remain silent on issues from town/cities other than their own. An interesting concept, even for a liberal. I suppose that means Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton will be criticized by "Retired Army" whenever they fly off somewhere to stir the racial pot.

In the same post "Retired Army" attempts to mock and make fun of an imaginary accent he attributes to Mr. Bryan based, best I can tell, solely on his preconceived notion about what Mr. Bryan might sound like. I suppose the assumption is that Mr. Bryan is white, and a native of the deep south, neither of which is a fact either stipulated or proven.

Racism, prejudice, personal attack, harassment, hate, and hypocrisy all in one postl. It's easy to see why "Retired Army" has received three "thumbs up" ratings for his post and why he is approaching one thousand in his points total.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 05/16/12 - 10:16 am
Points?

What if everyone put Retired Army on the "ignore" list? Would that stop the points from accumulating?

It is rather curious that a poster who deals in "racism, prejudice, personal attack, harassment, hate, and hypocrisy" would be the leading the points sweepstakes. But again, I really don't understand this point system.

dichotomy
dichotomy 05/16/12 - 11:31 am
I imagine Rev. Waters made

I imagine Rev. Waters made his race baiting comments because some reverends are RINOs, Reverends In Name Only. They really see themselves as racial leaders. They just tack the Rev. in front of their name to cover up their hate and to give themselves a hint of credibility to make up for their lack of other credentials. I don't know that this is the case for Rev. Waters but it's for sure that Waters main concern in this speech was racial division, not "reverending".

I don't know what Waters is complaining about. Most tax money spent on development/redevelopment, of what's left after we make our donations to Paul Simon and associates projects, is spent in the black community. It's a system. The black commissioners trade their votes in favor of the Paul projects, and other issues, in order to get the votes of the white commissioners to spend the rest of the money in their districts. I am curious to see what will happen to this vote trading arrangement when the black commissioners are in the majority.

The most under represented people in this county when it comes to taxes paid vs. benefits received are the south RC folks in District 8. They are the ones who need to be rallying and finding a Rev., a commissioner, a lawyer, anybody who will take up their cause. We need someone who will take up the issues of "residential" taxes on vacant land that will never be residential, the total absence of any return on our tax dollars, and the criminal artificial inflation of the fees we are charged for trash collection. I'm not too afraid of the black commissioners becoming a majority. My district gets nothing now except a tax bill and the frequent deposits of Section 8 residents displaced by downtown redevelopment, and I don't look for things to change much. They can't take anything away from a district that gets nothing. I don't know what the rest of you, and Paul & associates, will do.

double_standard
double_standard 05/16/12 - 01:03 pm
Dicotomy your post was right

Dicotomy your post was right on, but you forgot one thing until Paul Simon and Associates look like people of color there will never be any public outrage. The great investigative reporting of Scott Hudson shows you that. Posters ranted for the feds to investigate the CHDO's but no one spoke of the main culprit the Land Bank Authority. David Fry played crazy and got a slap on the wrist mean while Chester Wheeler ain't been seen in weeks. Yes race is uses to divide us all but money controls the true divide.

dsterling9
dsterling9 05/16/12 - 11:51 am
Comments Were Offensive

Perhaps it would be best to put a new 'crew' in place on the commission. People who will attempt to solve problems rather than create new ones...people who will concentrate on what is good for the city and county rather than trying to make a name for themselves. Just sayin'!

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 05/16/12 - 12:09 pm
Know a tree by its fruit

Now that you mention it, Dichotomy, it is curious about these pastors. As men of God, they know that the #2 command they are given to live by is to put the welfare of others above that of their own welfare.

But, here we have a pastor who clearly demands his own welfare (and that of his own folks) above the welfare of the city as a whole.

Whether these men are RINOs or not is between them and the God they claim to represent. I'll not go there. But, it is very strange indeed that these men do oftentimes seem to go against the very commands that they have supposedly dedicated their lives to uphold and follow -- and set the example for others to follow as well.

At the least, making self-serving, prejudiced, racist comments is certainly not something that should be practiced by any man claiming to be a representative of God. One thing these clergymen should know is the contempt that Jesus held for religious leaders who served political interests more than serving God. These folks were called Pharisees, and Jesus judged and condemned their acts many times over.

allhans
allhans 05/16/12 - 12:51 pm
soapy..I can easily remember

soapy..I can easily remember the times you mentioned. I can't imagine what the life of a bla ck person might have been like.
Having come from the "wrong side of the tracks" in a small rural town and never included, and then to think that blacks had it much worse.
BUT..I CAN"T dwell on that. I was a good student and learned at an early age how important education would be for me.

Now a college degree is the norm in my family. YOU can rise above it.

harley_52
harley_52 05/16/12 - 01:22 pm
If you've been wondering

If you've been wondering about all the democrat charges of "racism" aimed at Republicans and how they seem to tie "racism" into each and every issue they find, you might find this interesting.

eagle
eagle 05/16/12 - 01:19 pm
Don't worry about

Don't worry about anything..the Rev. Sharpton is coming to town and he'll fix everything.

stillamazed
stillamazed 05/16/12 - 01:57 pm
The race card will always be

The race card will always be played because one side will never trust the other, the blacks look to the past and the whites see all the bad the media shows them and they base their opinons on that and asume everyone is the same. Unless we start looking at each other as fellow human beings and let the race issue die then this will continue to happen. There is good and bad in each and every race, no one race is better or superior to the other as much as some would like to believe that they are. I also find the comment by the commisioner to be racist, if I was in a position like he is I would have the good of ALL people in mind and I would not wanting anyone to assume I did not. For Gods sake people, we are all human beings......with all the problems we face in this world a persons skin color should be the last thing we are worrying about or talking about.

David Parker
David Parker 05/16/12 - 02:48 pm
“white commissioners

That in and of itself is just an observation. There had to be some context to it for it to be blatant racism. The choice of wording "suggests" an emphasis on race and an irony. But taken by itself, it's still just observing that there are white commissioners who represent a percentage of black population. Now if he had said "OH MY!!!" or "You know what I'm talking about (wink)", then it would be in context and YES, it would be racial.

I guess what I'm pointing out is can the Chronicle or Mr. Bryan clarify further and maybe illustrate the point the speaker was making. Just to be sure his comment wasn't misinterpretted or to confirm that he is racially motivated in a bad way.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 05/16/12 - 02:59 pm
Context of remarks

DP, here's the statement from the original article. It's all the public has to go on....

"The Rev. Chris Waters, of Thankful Baptist Church, said after the rally that white commissioners representing a minority of Augustans were making decisions for the black majority. “The tone that it took certainly is an expression of the frustrations of many in the community,” Waters said of Mason’s speech.

It appears that Waters is "frustrated" that whites are making decisions that are affecting blacks. Apparently, Mason expressed this frustration in his speech as well.

desertcat6
desertcat6 05/16/12 - 03:32 pm
Yes, I have no doubt the good

Yes, I have no doubt the good Pastor would acknowledge or clarify his true meaning in a manner that cast the best light upon himself. The real question is why did he bring the color of peoples skin into the issue at all? I don't know if he's a racist, but perhaps bigot is a better word.

harley_52
harley_52 05/16/12 - 03:59 pm
It is part of a planned,

It is part of a planned, orchestrated scheme among ultra-lefties to introduce a suggestion/charge of "racism," either overtly or covertly, into virtually every issue arising between democrats and republicans and/or wherever public policy is discussed.

The democrats seek to divide the nation on the basis of race and wealth on all issues and will throw in any other area they can use to further divide the nation they can find (eg. homosexual "marriage").

Better get used to it. It's going to get a lot worse as November approaches.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 05/16/12 - 04:01 pm
He brought it up skin color

He brought it up skin color because that's the main issue for him. Overall welfare of the city does not matter as much at all. His words might be more bigoted than racist, but are a very revealing statement from a "pastor", wouldn't you say?

Jane18
Jane18 05/16/12 - 04:12 pm
I knew it!

When I read what Mr.Waters said the other day, I knew he had let "his alligator mouth bite him on his hummingbird behind". I guess he is someone else that thinks he can say anything racist and no one is supposed to call him on it...WRONG! I agree with howcanweknow @12:09. Oh yeah, someone needs to tell Mr.Waters, he nor anyone else should be calling themselves "Reverend". That is one of GOD's names, it is written one time in the Bible, Psalm111:9.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 05/16/12 - 04:27 pm
Reverend

Jane, I've always believed that as well. I mean no disrespect to any clergyman (quite the contrary, actually), but I reserve the title "Reverend" for God alone. Certainly "Father" should be attributed only God as well.

Words are not to be tossed out thoughtlessly.

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 05/16/12 - 04:38 pm
It's a "green thing"

Agree with double standards post earlier. Paul and Billy have screwed the city out of millions, with very little public outrage. But in fairness there has been a bit of heat on their shenanigans in the last few months, via the TEE center/parkingate fiasco. The only constant, be it Charles Walker/Chester Wheeler or Paul/Billy is money....They want us to argue over "black vs. white". Then they can split "the green".....
THAT'S the REAL outrage....

raul
raul 05/16/12 - 11:26 pm
@dichotomy. I agree.

@dichotomy. I agree.

Coroner granted funds to offset transportation costs

The Richmond County Coroner's Office will get some relief now that it can access funds collected through a partnership with Georgia Regents Medical Center.