Theaters must show 'Bully'

It is amazing to me that in the year 2012 we are not showing the film Bully here in Augusta. Not one theater has it scheduled.

My question to the community is: What will it take for our community to take a stance and demand that theaters show this film? Are we going to wait until we see in the news that one of our own youths has taken his or her own life because of bullying before we open our eyes?

Please Augusta, put all your fears away. Every child in America needs to see this movie, no matter what the language or the content may be. This movie shows the reality that our children live in every day.

Jason Gillian

North Augusta, S.C.

KSL
KSL 05/12/12 - 03:37 am
Jason, why do you think

Jason, why do you think children are having to live with bullying everyday? When I grew up, we didn't have to.Anyone guilty of bullying another was "corrected" at school and most likely "corrected" when he got home. Why on earth have we come to be a society that must watch a movie to solve a problem?

desertcat6
desertcat6 05/12/12 - 04:02 am
Yes, bullying is bad. Adults

Yes, bullying is bad. Adults such as teachers, parents and law enforcement should step in and correct the behavior when it goes too far, but this will not stop bullying. Sure the bully may be stopped temporarily, but its unlikely to change bullying behavior completely. The bullied, on the other hand, will never develop the emotional, mental or physical toughness required to face adversity in a bully free environment.

KSL
KSL 05/12/12 - 04:23 am
Rarely do I disagree with

Rarely do I disagree with you, desertcat. Perhaps I don't understand the concept of what bullying is since it was not a problem when I was growing up, nor, to my knowledge, a problem when my sons were growing up. Why is it such a problem now? Are we, as a society, losing our civility? I would say we are and that is where the problem lies. I believe the idea of "entitlement" is part of the root problem. And I mean entitlement it the broadest terms. A child is now entitled to express his little self and not have his so called self esteem damaged.

KSL
KSL 05/12/12 - 04:26 am
Teachers and their superiors

Teachers and their superiors have their hands tied. Or, perhaps they don't. They may have been brainwashed themselves into their behavior.

desertcat6
desertcat6 05/12/12 - 09:33 am
KSL, Kids tease, identify and

KSL, Kids tease, identify and test weaknesses in each other, and observe and and comment on differences. I don't see these as bullying as much as lack of consideration and empathy. Some, but not all, can be corrected/stopped with adult intervention simply by talking about it. Bullying to me comes when its taken to the next level where there is an intent to harm. Perhaps the bully was never properly instructed, has never met equal or over whelming resistance, or has developed a sense of enjoyment/purpose/identity from the hurt inflicted. The skills required to cope with a bully are developed on the playground. If we label this early childhood behavior bullying, will our kids develop the mental, emotional and physical skills to cope with bullying later in life? I think not.

EEreader
EEreader 05/12/12 - 12:44 pm
Bully

Ah, yes, Children should see this movie. So should some politicians. And some editorial writers. Brush it aside though you will, the problem speaks to character. His and yours, it seems.

allhans
allhans 05/12/12 - 01:22 pm
I wonder if kids could get

I wonder ............

scoobynews
scoobynews 05/12/12 - 02:42 pm
Bully has gone beyond the

Bullying has gone beyond the playground and school halls folks - texting, facebook, and other social networks has made it much easier to bully someone from afar.

Cadence
Cadence 05/12/12 - 05:47 pm
Bullying

We already have lost our youths to suicide because of bullying. They may not have left it in a note. It may not have been in the obit, but I can guarantee you that we have lost and continue to lose kids who can't stand another day of the torture they experience at school and on social networks. If you don't "get" it be thankful. If your kids are not affected be grateful. Teach your kids to be tolerant and protective of others. Teach them to be the ones who step in and say "Hey, leave the (fat/handicapped/nerdy/different) kid alone." They don't have to "accept" alternative lifestyles or different religions or whatever makes a person different, but if they can see the human being behind the exterior and offer friendship, they might save a life. If your child is the one getting bullied, please tell him or her that it will get better.

nash63
nash63 05/12/12 - 08:28 pm
Bullying is destructive

Why should any child have to put up with bullying as a way to learn coping skills to deal with, of all things, bullying? Really??? Adults do not face the bullying behaviors that kids have to deal with on the bus, on the playground, on Facebook, in e-mails, on text messages, etc. When a child is taunted for being overweight, stupid, ugly, unwanted, disliked, gay, or "different" by those who consider themselves to be arbiters of all that is acceptable, the cumulative effect of those messages on the recipient is horrendous. No, most of us "of a certain age" have not had to deal with such dehumanizing treatment. It is obvious, though, that this has become more of an issue as our society has become less civil and has become more tolerant of what used to be unacceptable and rude behavior. People for some reason think that expecting high standards of behavior and consideration from our children (and adults!) is infringing on their rights of self expression. We no longer seem to have filters on our mouths--whatever pops into the brain comes right out of the mouth. If others are offended or hurt by it, it's their problem not yours. How much lower do we have to sink before we decide that enough is enough? I do not know Jason, but I agree with him. That movie should be shown--and I even think it should be made available in schools and on television. It is time that we face the ugly truth about bullying and bullies. It's not just something we have to accept as part of growing up and toughening up. It's destructive on a deeply human level.

walrus4ever
walrus4ever 05/12/12 - 07:51 pm
This is just another media

This is just another media fad to feed the PC crowd. I was overweight as a teen and got my share of rejection and abuse. I feel that it made me a stronger individual as I grew up. If you want to see the positive results of bullying go to the recruit depot at Parris Island where they turn your products of "parental hovering" into men. Kids need to find their inner strength with some encouragement, Not be nannied 24/7 . The legacy of this is a nation of weak dependent adults

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 05/12/12 - 07:58 pm
Excellent comments here...

...and I'm glad that people have used the terms "empathy" and "protective of others". Bullies don't have empathy, which can and should be a basic quality taught our children. But if the child is being taught by someone who is a bully, or who has never learned empathy, then it's as good as lost...unless that child learns about it the hard way. And I do also think that children should be taught the courageous act of being protective of others. Most kids tend to look up to athletes in the schools because those athletes are physically gifted to do something that most of the bullied-kids can't do. So, I think it'd be an EXCELLENT thing for coaches to include in their teachings to these young athletes...on the field you're an athlete, off the field you should be a role model and a protector of those who can't defend themselves. That's what I was taught and I am so very thankful for it.

Cadence
Cadence 05/13/12 - 12:38 pm
I'm sorry

Walrus, I'm sorry you were bullied in school. You did not deserve that at all. By the way I am the least PC person you could meet, as my past comments here show.

Vogtle workers see both reactor projects

Some veterans of the nuclear industry were at the site south of Augusta to see the complex network of rebar and concrete rising out of the ground in the 1970s and ’80s. Now, they are back.