Face our real problems

I have been alive for more than 53 years. I have seen the Vietnam War; the war against Iraq in the 1990s; the current wars in Iraq and Afghanistan; and a few “police actions,” such as in Somalia. Even though I have never served in the U.S. armed forces, I don’t see myself, or any others who are against these wars, as being unpatriotic to the U.S. flag, the Constitution or the United States as a whole country!

The Constitution guarantees the right to freedom of speech, but I have seen more negative police clampdowns on public demonstrations in this country than in all of the other countries combined! These views make me wonder: Does the current administration and the ultra-conservative Congress even believe in the Constitution any more?

The president, the Cabinet members and Congress seem to be ignoring the Constitution when they allow – and probably agree with the police – to break up the Occupy movement demonstrators who are trying their absolute best to make all of America understand the real problems that we face as a global community!

Timothy Monroe Bledsoe

North Augusta, S.C.

TParty
TParty 05/08/12 - 10:46 pm
Citizen. Pick up that can.

Citizen. Pick up that can.

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 05/09/12 - 12:22 am
Is the U.S. in Bible Prophecy?

If the Occupy movement and the overwhelming majority of U.S. citizens are not successful in getting our honest and important message across to the government and the large minority of U.S. citizens, I truly believe that the teachings and the warnings of the Book of Revelation in the Bible will come true. I view Revelation as a guide and a warning to a possible ending of humanity, not as what will happen if humanity does not change! (Timothy Monroe Bledsoe).

I can't find the U.S. in the book of Revelation or anywhere else in Bible prophecy. Still, God is just, so we have good reason to think the U.S. will fall like those nations in Scripture that turned their backs on God.

desertcat6
desertcat6 05/09/12 - 02:10 am
Its not Occupy as much as

Its not Occupy as much as their tactics. Get permits to rally, camp in public places, and march, and then follow the rules and act civilized during the events. The "we are above the law attitude," protester violence and misconduct, and tax payer cost associated with clean up and police presence during high profile Occupy events last year brought on a reluctance to let events get out of control this year. Play by the rules and your message can get out.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/09/12 - 06:06 am
Funny

Clampdowns on freedom of speech you say.......don't make me laugh out loud......it happens EVERYWHERE!!!!

Sheep are gullible followers...baaa baaa...
The news sways public opinion in every way ....every day...very few people think outside the box....I mean tv-radio=papers-internet...

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 05/09/12 - 06:40 am
the occupy movement is a

the occupy movement is a joke...they are a bunch of whiners who want NONE of lifes responsibilities..yet they are treated special by the dims..a so-called grassroot movement funded by the unions..they leave everyting a mess disrupt the lives of others and have no concept of other people rights..please dont tell me that the occupiers were not treated fairly..they are spoiled brats...

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/09/12 - 06:50 am
Now we see many of the OWS

Now we see many of the OWS are basically communist rallying against free market capitalism. I agree there is a long history of suppressing free speech but more so with the Tea Party where they receive bad press when there was none, and had to pay for the venues. The OWS only receive bad press on Fox and they don't pay a dime. The OWS are costing tax payers-the teas are tax payers. I haven't seen any Kent State like shootings. Both Teas and OWS are allowed their free speech just one side (the teas) aren't being treated the same. The Dems hale the Teas as unpatriotic and the OWS as patriotic-one side given carte blanche (the OWS) and teas regulated and paying for it. So much for equality under the law. I think the socialist movement in the OWS is revealing the true hidden nature of the Dems as now being a socialist party and not a progressive party.

Granddaddy John
Granddaddy John 05/09/12 - 06:50 am
Fundamental,I see that you

Fundamental,I see that you know very little about Bible prophecy.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 05/09/12 - 06:50 am
the real problems of the

the real problems of the world. what???????all they want is free food free housing and free degress from universities that have absolutly no value... occupy movemt needs a good dose of growing up...

Techfan
Techfan 05/09/12 - 07:12 am
If OWS could just get funding

If OWS could just get funding from corporations and billionaires, like the Tea Party has, maybe they could have some infleunce. I doubt that Americans for Prosperity (started by David Koch and Richard Fink, a member of the board of directors of Koch Industries), Freedomworks (Dick Armey and Steve Forbes), and all the other right wing billionaires that started and funded the so called "grassroots" movement would help out. At least OWS, unlike the Tea Party, isn't a tool for corporations that suckers people in to vote against thir own best interest.

Techfan
Techfan 05/09/12 - 07:21 am
And then a very intelligent

And then a very intelligent chimpanzee, Caesar leads other apes to take over, and humans become nothing but savages living in the woods. Planet of the Apes.

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/09/12 - 08:03 am
SourceWatch (formerly

SourceWatch (formerly Disinfopedia) is an online wiki that is a collaborative project. Center for Media and Democracy (CMD). According to the project's website, it "aims to produce a directory of public relations firms, think tanks, industry-funded organizations and industry-friendly experts that work to influence public opinion and public policy on behalf of corporations, governments and special interest groups." SourceWatch has been mentioned in news sources such as the New York Times and the Sunday Times. The site runs on MediaWiki software.The publisher of SourceWatch is Lisa Graves, the executive director of the Center for Media and Democracy. The Center for Media and Democracy (CMD) is a libera organization investigative reporting group. The CMD gives analysis and opinion on policies such as the economy, environment and national security. They promote citizen journalism (so I gather they support the dude that exposed ACORN) and aim to expose corporate spin and government propaganda. So the big difference is one is a tool for conservatives and the other a tool for liberals. This is too funny-I like shooting the messenger rather than the message. I guess Im becoming a progessive.

faithson
faithson 05/09/12 - 08:07 am
one contention OWS has is

one contention OWS has is based upon the simple FACT that the wealthy among us DO NOT pay their fair share. When an income of 24 million is taxed at a rate of 14% their is something wrong, and actually immoral. A 50% tax leaves 12, yes 12 million dollars in CASH to live on. Say what you will free-marketers but a 50% tax at this level of income is reasonable considering the luxury the balance provides.

faithson
faithson 05/09/12 - 08:10 am
ps. I don't believe you can

ps. I don't believe you can take a penny more in taxes unless we come to terms with spending cuts. WE must cut and at the same time TAX.

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/09/12 - 08:15 am
Here is data from

Here is data from POLITICO:People and households earning $1 million or more annually made up just 0.1 percent, or just over 235,000, of the 140 million tax returns filed in 2009, and just 8,274 returns were filed by people making $10 million or more. Though the tax rate for Americans earning a gross adjusted income of $1 million or more averaged 24.4 percent, up from 23.1 percent in 2008, that’s still lower than the 28.5 percent rate they paid in 2002 when President George W. Bush was in office. And, the data show, the 235,413 taxpayers who reported earning seven digits or more in 2009 took in a total of $726.9 billion — yet 1,470 paid not a penny of income taxes. In 2007, 959 Americans earning $1 million or more paid no income taxes. Looks like Obama hasn't addressed this has he?

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 05/09/12 - 08:20 am
faithsom---so we tax the rich

faithsom---so we tax the rich so they cant buy small planes, yachts and vacation homes etc.. and money to invest..and give it to a govt that wastes so much money that we could probably get close to balancing the budget if they just used the cash wisley..remember that the 14 percent is probably capital gains etc not ordinary income...which means that the money invested to get that 14 percent was already taxed at higher rate. but its this mentality that is a problem that somone owes me something. ...who do you think builds the vacation homes small planes etc...its the middle class workers..so you punish everyone by taxing at a higher rate...that really doesnt make sense...

allhans
allhans 05/09/12 - 08:26 am
France is raising taxes on

France is raising taxes on the workers of their country so that entitlements can continue and grow.
Now, what happens when those who are paying for all this decide that enough is enough and Germany elects not to bail them out any more.
What is happening in France is what the OWS wants for us. I don't resent their freedom of speech, talk away, but I totally dislike the message.

Jane18
Jane18 05/09/12 - 08:59 am
Oh yeah, Fundamental_,

Oh yeah, Fundamental_, America is spoken of in the Bible! You just have to know "who" is being spoken about, just like you need to know who is Edom(Russia), Persia(Iran), the desolator(satan as the antichrist), etc.. You can most certainly believe we(America) are spoken of...............

faithson
faithson 05/09/12 - 10:36 am
nofan; you didn't get the

nofan; you didn't get the part about 12 million dollars CASH, left over, your comment is proof of the propaganda the Plutonomy espouse. (Plutonomy refers to the rich)

TParty
TParty 05/09/12 - 10:46 am
"America is spoken of in the

"America is spoken of in the Bible!"

America is spoken a great deal in the bible. It's all over the Book of Mormon.

Occupy Wall Street- their message was sound in the beginning- just like the Tea Party was. Privatized gains with socialized losses. Nothing has changed since Obama gave bailouts to his crony friends- and when he says changes have been made on Wall Street to prevent another collapse- know that he is lying.

What OWS should have done is gone to protests dressed like they are going to an interview. It's what people did for civil rights, and women rights- they dressed in a professional and clean manner. Not like bums. The OWS was not a movement about "Give me a job, 80 grand, because I want it, and don't worry about my lack of skills and what I don't bring to the table." Again- it was about privatized gains with socialized losses, which was the same thing the Tea Party organized around.

I fault the Tea Party for not putting their arm around OWS, and pulling them in, focus them and set things right. The OWS could have a been a great asset to the Tea Party.

This is what happens though. Corporations are running things, they run everything. That includes the media. So when there is a threat to the status quo- the media goes out there and shows the Tea Party crazies, the ones with guns at rallies, signs saying "We've come unarmed this time" to show they are violent. They show people with signs that say "Get a brain morans" and "Government get your hands off my medicare!" to show how dumb the Tea Party is. And when the OWS comes out- they do the same thing to them. Trying to quash the anger Americans are feeling at the privatized gains and socialized losses.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 05/09/12 - 11:28 am
i did get it---faithsom--that

i did get it---faithsom--that 12 million will do a lot better in the economy creating real oppurtunities than the govt wasting it..and i do not envy people who earned their money honestly no matter how much i simply could not care...the more people spending disposiable income..that is money beyond their basic needs**the better it is for all of us..simple economics..not the economics of envy and the left...

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/09/12 - 11:33 am
Well apparently Jim Jones and

Well apparently Jim Jones and David Karesch initially started on the right track too but then went off into nutso land. But my point is a lot of great ideas become corrupted. Everyone should be supporting both Tea and OWS because it was centered on Americans voicing their concerns. But the least common denominator often hijacks the message.

TParty
TParty 05/09/12 - 11:35 am
"But the least common

"But the least common denominator often hijacks the message."

Exactly. They are loud, and more interesting the reality tv show, watch a train wreck type of interesting. They bring nothing of value, just loud noise. And it's easy to point at those people, very few in such large groups, and paint the entire movement with the crazy.

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 05/09/12 - 12:49 pm
Here it goes one more time to

Here it goes one more time to the constitution lovers. You do have the right to assemble and voice your opinions on any matter you deem necessary to rail for or against. You do not have the right to impede normal everyday activities while doing so. You do not have the right to desecrate monuments, throw trash everywhere and participate in behavior that puts others at risk for injury. When you understand these rules then come back and write a letter.

Techfan
Techfan 05/09/12 - 04:48 pm
"Looks like Obama hasn't

"Looks like Obama hasn't addressed this has he?" Addressed what? The fact that mllionaires are making out like bandits? The Dems have been trying to make the tax code fairer for the working folks and increase taxes on the top earners (you know, the group whose pay has gone up 275% from 1979-2007). However, 40 of the 47 Republicans in the Senate, and 236 of the 242 Republicans in the House have signed allegiance to Grover Norquist. Yes, Sourcewatch is liberal leaning. They do source their findings. Facts are facts. I'm sure you're joking if you try to compare them to James O'Keefe, who edited his videos to present a false presentation, can't set foot in New Hampshire because he'll be arrested, who's already on probation, had to serve community service and fined for criminal activity, and lives with his parents.

Techfan
Techfan 05/09/12 - 04:55 pm
BTW: The bottom 80% of the

BTW: The bottom 80% of the population in the US earn a whopping 12.75% of the income. Do you feel we should increase taxes on them or the only group that has seen real income growth over the last 3 decades, or should we just not raise revenue at all?

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/10/12 - 05:29 am
Well Tech you forget he

Well Tech you forget he had plenty of time with both houses of Congress and he didn't. Did he. Plain facts indeed. But don't be irritated that I was bustin your kahunas about questioning resources-you do it all the time my friend and I was just funnin with ya. I love all you posters-I don't care if we agree or disagree I love the discourse, different personalities, and different points of view. I actually listen and some arguments have made me "evolve" as Obama would say. hee,hee,hee. I agree with what you said about Okeefe he did manipulate his video but no more than the major media did the Zimmerman-Martin case so apparently this is what the call journalism now.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 05/09/12 - 06:33 pm
This is Tim Bledsoe, the writer of this letter

I also want to thank you for your comments ! I have not read The Book of Revelations, but I have been told many, many times about what it states. I just think GOD wants us, His childeren, to know what will happen "IF WE DO NOT CHANGE OUR WAYS AND THE WAYS THAT WE TREAT EACH OTHER !!"

TParty
TParty 05/09/12 - 07:17 pm
"I have not read The Book of

"I have not read The Book of Revelations, but I have been told many, many times about what it states"

This part here automatically invalidates any thoughts or opinions you have the subject matter.

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/09/12 - 10:15 pm
Too funny TParty. With most

Too funny TParty. With most reading I'd agree but Revelations is just plain confusing. It jumps from heaven to earth to heaven from reality to imagery, then back. I'm lost. Theologians can't even agree, and what the imagery is suppose to mean seems endless in interpretation-like who or what is the "whore of Babylon". His opinion would probably be just about as valid as the next. If someone has it down then yo got some splainin' to do. I wonder how many atheists have read the bible?

Historic building on Laney campus demolished

The demolition of the 89-year-old Cauley-Wheeler building on the Lucy C. Laney High School campus is over, but the plan for a building that will act as a link to the former site and its story has ...