Obamacare is anti-life

When the Obama administration’s health-care financing plan was signed into law, President Obama and Congress promised that funds under the new law would not cover abortions.

This has now proved to be empty rhetoric.

Why? Because the Department of Health and Human Services has mandated that, under the health-care law, private health insurance plans must cover the “full range of FDA-approved contraception” – in which category the HHS explicitly included the abortion-inducing drug “ella.”

This mandate includes a so-called “religious employer exemption,” yet the exemption is so narrowly defined that most religious schools, colleges, hospitals and charitable organizations serving the public do not qualify. Even an expanded definition of “religious employer” would fail to protect non-religiously affiliated organizations, individuals and even religiously affiliated health insurers whose pro-life consciences are nonetheless violated.

This is an unprecedented attack on the freedom of conscience of millions of Americans, eviscerating their freedom of choice to purchase private insurance that does not violate their ethical, moral or religious objections. I hope all readers will contact their elected representatives in Washington, D.C., and voice their outrage over this anti-life mandate.

Gerhard Cremer

Augusta

copperhead
copperhead 05/06/12 - 11:07 am
Well Cdr4500,please tell us

Well Cdr4500,please tell us which parts YOU have read and understand. While you're at it,tell us how long it was posted on cspan. you know,like hussein said EVERY bill would be posted?

copperhead
copperhead 05/06/12 - 11:14 am
TOTAL trust in hussein's

TOTAL trust in hussein's word! Now THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! OBAMACARE IS GREAT BECAUSE HUSSEIN SAYS SO!MMM MMM OBAMA MMM MMM

impossible
impossible 05/06/12 - 11:26 am
Techfan is sooooooo

Techfan is sooooooo inspiring. What insights and logic - "if you don't believe in it, don't do it" ummmmmmmm If you don't believe in killing babies, don't do it, but don't you dare interfere with the "right" of others to eliminate an "inconvenient" child from their oh-soooo-valuable secular-humanistic lives and expect you to pay for it. As the reigning Prophet of that religion, Obama, by his own words, considers the creation of life in the womb as a “mistake” that must be eradicated. It doesn’t matter that the baby is innocent and that the baby didn’t make a mistake or commit a crime punishable by death. Liberals amaze me - capital punishment is acceptable for the baby’s “crime” of living, but not for convicted murderers. hmmmmmmmm

Though generally racist, liberals defend the civil right of all, regardless of race, color or creed, to be enslaved by big government. What? you ask??? The most cruel/regressive tax is inflation - caused by Obama’s destruction of our economy/employment. The poor, including our “embattled” women, pay the same high prices for gas, food, clothes, car repairs, tires, and other necessities as the rich. Hmmmmmmmmmm

Excuse me for a minute. Grandpa who retired as a Democrat Senator with $$$millions in unearned income from insider trading, etc. insists on continuing his inconvenient life. At 65 his physical health is terrible. He is suffering from impaired quality of life and must be medicated for his own good. It’s time for his next dose of arsenic. Don’t judge me, it’s not about the money. If you disagree with killing grandpa, don’t do it. ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm He does enjoy great mental health though. Having belatedly learned how to read with comprehension after retiring, he now votes Republican.

By following the gospel of Karl Marx, Bill Ayers and Saul Alinsky, Obama has adopted the same murderous solution (“final solution”) for America which was conceived and birthed in liberty by our founding fathers as a constitutional republic. Obama also deems that as a mistake worthy of death. By killing it, he chooses statist enslavement and imposes it on all - that’s hardly “pro-choice.” Sooooooo, if we don’t like slavery, we should just shut up and slave on the government plantation. Techfan? If we don’t like it, we can ummmmmmmmm ??????? No profanity please.

I do agree that one should not impose their religion upon others by force, but perhaps those whose comments herein who succeed in replacing "Vanity, all is vanity" with "Inanity, all is inanity," consider it acceptable for the government to establish/impose secular humanism as the State Religion. Of course, if you don't accept that religion in your heart, don't practice it - ummmmmmm Religious freedom survives by the simple expediency of a few keystrokes. Ummmmmmmm Contributions are required from believers and non-believers except for around 47% of the people.

Excuse me, my ummmmmmm crystal just vibrated from the desk and fell on the floor. No harm done, it was just Shirley Maclaine calling from Sedona to ummmmmmm remind me to vote for Obammmaummmmmmm. After all , it is a New Age, isn’t it? hmmmmmmm
MInChristLove, thank you for continuing to cast pearls. Hopefully some of them might fall on fertile ground and bear fruit. I admire your patience, wisdom and charity.

copperhead
copperhead 05/06/12 - 11:37 am
To me,it is about the

To me,it is about the government telling it's citizens that they must purchase a product. It is government nibbling away at citizen's rights. When the government is able to tell you what you must have,it can tell you what you must not have.

Cdr4500
Cdr4500 05/06/12 - 11:52 am
Way to get my post deleted

Way to get my post deleted Copperhead.

And do you have any issues with having to have car insurance???

The very poor end up costing us all a lot of money in terms of health care costs. They tend to use emergency rooms as their doctors, and they leave huge unpaid bills at hospitals, which we all end up paying for, in terms of higher health care costs. This so-called mandate approach would make them choose whether to pay for insurance or to pay the government, the latter of which would recoup some of the costs of uninsured patients. It might work.

Is it Constitutional? Well, that remains to be seen, and with a polarized and politicized Supreme Court, the ultimate decision may have more to do with party politics than any real reading of the Constitution. Act shocked, and then read the Dred Scott decision, and then sober up as to what this country is really all about.

The reality is, this is not a mandate but a tax. Granted, like most taxes, it is calculated in a convoluted manner. Just as my taxes may be lower than yours, because I can deduct my health insurance premiums, a person who buys health insurance under this new law will get a tax break. Those who do not, get a tax increase.

The opposition, of course, calls this a "fine" and thus a "mandate" to obtain coverage - coercion by the government, "forcing you to do things" you don't want to do.

And yea, that sucks, but wake up and smell the coffee. If you work for a living, you are forced to pay Medicare and Social Security taxes. Your employer is forced to match these. And if you don't pay these taxes, you end up going to jail - simple as that.

Again, it was decided that Congress should force people to pay for their retirement or at least some kind of safety net, rather than let people just rot in the streets ("freedom!") and have the rest of us have to care for them through charity, welfare, or other taxpayer-funded programs.

Cdr4500
Cdr4500 05/06/12 - 11:53 am
A lot of screaming and

A lot of screaming and shouting is going on presently about the "mandate" to buy health insurance. Now....I am not 100% sure it was a swell idea either atleast the way it was written - a tax credit or other plan would have been far easier to administer and created less of a fuss. But this is what they came up with, in their infinite wisdom.

Still, I am not sure why this is unconstitutional. If people don't like it, wouldn't they vote new politicians into office who would overturn it? Is the Supreme Court being an "activist" court by failing to let the political process take its course? Or is all this "strict interpretation" and "activism" labels just a smokescreen for being able to do what you want to do and using post hoc justifications?

But beyond even that, people are saying nonsense, like, "The government is FORCING US to BUY THINGS and DO THINGS we don't want to DO!"

And yet, every day, you are forced to do things you don't want to do, by the government.

When you get dressed in the morning, this is due to government mandate. Don't believe me? Try going to work naked. In all 50 States, there are laws against public nudity, and no one has ever, ever challenged them on Constitutional grounds.

"But your honor! The Government is FORCING ME TO BUY CLOTHES!"

And it is, too. You have to get something - a sack even - to cover yourself in public.

And unless you plan on staying inside your house forever, this is a mandate that applies to all of us.

Other mandates are tied to behavior. We mandate people wear seatbelts and motorcycle helmets, in many States, as a condition of those States receiving Federal Highway funds. The heavy hand of government, yet again. And yet few people feel these are onerous requirements. Well a few do, but they are dumb fools, period.

The social cost of motorcyclists with head injuries (who, by the way, make excellent organ donors! Sign those cards, boys! I need a new Liver!) far outweighs the "freedom" to ride around with no helmet, just one 5 mph collision away from a coma. Ditto for seat belts, which reduce injuries, particularly in low-speed collisions - which are most collisions. A simple 30 mph impact can be fatal - if you are not wearing a seat belt.

But of course, these are mandates tied to personal endeavors. Driving is a privilege, not a right, yet a privilege enjoyed by the overwhelming majority of the country - and one necessary to economic survival for most people, you could argue. Yet these mandates exist - and no one challenges them on Constitutional grounds.

You also are mandated to pay taxes (tax protesters notwithstanding) and to fund your Social Security and Medicare accounts. You could argue, again, that these are behavioral-based mandates - that you only are mandated to pay taxes if you have income. But survival in this country with no income is nearly impossible, unless you are a minor or someone's dependent (e.g., Cabana-Boy :-P). Otherwise, you have to work and earn money, and pay these taxes. Even people who inherit or win the lottery have to pay taxes - on income and capital gains.

Is not the tax law a "mandate" of sorts? In fact, not really of "of sorts" but just a naked mandate, period.

There are, of course, other mandates. For example, if you are a young man, between the ages of 18 and 25, you have to register for the selective service, even if there isn't a draft, today. And, by the way, with our equality and all, why aren't young women forced to register? And with soldiers as old as 45 serving in Iraq, why only 18-25 year olds?

You think that is bad? Well, if there is a war, they can draft you, force you to join the Army (or Navy, Air Force, or Marines) and then go to war, charge a machine gun and get killed. Talk about a mandate! The government literally owns your life, if you are a male of draft age, and there is a war on. And if you refuse to go, you will be court-martialed and jailed, possibly executed.

There are tons of other mandates, of course. And some are "behavioral-based" such as property taxes, which are applied if you own property. And you can argue that these are excusable as you can avoid these mandates by choosing not to own property. But unless you are homeless, you need a place to live. And even if you rent, you are paying property taxes, indirectly, through your landlord. The only people not paying property taxes this way are those in the military, in jail, or homeless. It is a pretty broad mandate!

The list goes on and on, of course. You are pushed around by Uncle Sugar many, many times a day. From having to obey speed laws, to having to pay sales tax. You are forced to do things you don't want to do - and to spend money you don't want to spend - even if all you want to do is live and breathe on planet Earth.

I am not sure what this argument that this new mandate is "different" is all about. The justices on the supreme court are clearly being political, barfing up Fox News Talking Points (a new low for the court, since Dred Scott) about how the new law would force people to "buy something they don't want" just because they exist.

But the law doesn't say that. They can buy insurance, or pay the fine, tax, fee, or whatever the [filtered word] you want to call it (because, when it comes down to it, any dollar paid to the U.S. Government is a tax, in my mind, period). And the idea that the government "forcing you to buy something" is somehow novel is, to me, somewhat specious. The idea that the government "mandating" you to do things is somehow new, novel, or socialism, is bunk. The government kicks you around on a daily basis - always has, always will.

And it starts in the AM when you put on your undies and doesn't end until you take them off again at night.

copperhead
copperhead 05/06/12 - 11:55 am
I had nothing to do with you

I had nothing to do with you post being deleted. You ASSUME too much. I don't CHOOSE to drive so,no need to buy auto insurance.

impossible
impossible 05/06/12 - 12:57 pm
Car insurance - health

Car insurance - health insurance - life insurance. It might be difficult given todays abuse of language, words and meanings of words et al, but it's better to stick with comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges, etc.

Logic is preferable to specious arguments inspired by imbibing too freely on the DNC-MajorMedia produced kool aid. Take a look at Heritage Foundation's various analyses of the Obamacare/socialism fix.

impossible
impossible 05/06/12 - 01:00 pm
Except for its blatant

Except for its blatant falsity and insult to the intelligence of all but Obama supporters, what was so objectionable about Cdr4500's post that it deserved to be deleted? Thin skin?

Retired Army
Retired Army 05/06/12 - 01:33 pm
Hey, only the very best of us

Hey, only the very best of us get deleted here. I'm pretty sure I'm on double secret probation but I do remind Mr. Moores(and others downtown) that I am a paying customer.

$2.95 a month plus birdcage liner fees goes along ways here in Augusta.

As for the letter, I'm amazed at how much Conservatives demand government get out of their lives until it comes to bedrooms and the private choices others make. All of a sudden, big intrusional government becomes a NECESSITY! ummmmmm-ummmmmm-ummmmmm.

Just to eliminate any unnecessary electrons this way, first I'm a real bastard. I have the paper work to prove it. My Irish birth certificate(which keeps me from being President, unlike President Obama's birth certificate)lists father as unknown. As a realist I have to say I'm glad my birth mother did not have the option to abort me. Now, I know that saddens some of my opponents, but tough, here I am.

second, a number of years ago one of my 3 daughters made a mistake. The question of abortion came up. I adamantly opposed the idea even though she was only sixteen at the time. I am watching and listening to the result running around and playing with her siblings in my backyard as I type this. They sure are noisy little brats and I love them with all my heart. Their mom and dad have done well too. But this is the thing. They had the choice. It was not mandated upon them by anyone. I did make my feelings known and I like to think that it turned out Great!

carcraft
carcraft 05/06/12 - 02:32 pm
CDR4500- There are different

CDR4500- There are different powers between state and Federal government. The 10th amendment states any powers not specifically given to the federal government are given to the states and the people. So we do not have a federal driver’s license! Driving is a privilege granted by the State and the States license you to drive and make certain requirements if you wish the PRVILEDGE of driving a car! Registering for the Draft is within the Federal government’s power because the Federal government is given the responsibility of defending America and as such has the power to raise an Army. Of course the Justices on the Supreme Court are barfing up Fox News talking points because they are SO shallow they have no idea what the constitution is about, so the Supreme court Justices (who haven’t had the privilege of a decent law school education like Obama), turn to Fox News for a legal analysis of Obama care and the Constitution. ..Just say ” ummm ummm umm” and it will become clear as we chant “hail Obama” and “yes we can”! I do believe, I do believe and I am going to see if I can fly!!!

carcraft
carcraft 05/06/12 - 02:40 pm
Retired Army, I really don't

Retired Army, I really don't care what people do in the bedroom, just don't ask me to pay for it-fair? When my tax dollar pays for it then I get a say. Now the other issue with the mandate is that if Obama had only called it a tax he would have been in the free and clear- but as even Obama (umm ummm ummm be up on his name, umm ummm ummm) said "Words have meaning" umm umm

carcraft
carcraft 05/06/12 - 02:53 pm
Iunder stood this part of

Iunder stood this part of Obama care, I just clicked my heels to gether three times and said umm ummm umm and it all made sense, http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/10/14/8325174-obama-administra...

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 05/06/12 - 04:08 pm
One question: Why did

One question: Why did Republicans change their minds about believing in a health care mandate to ensure that those without healthcare would have to buy it so the rest of us would not have to pay for it in higher cost?

Romney believed in it. Newt believed in it. Republicans have always believed in personal responsibility until now. So what changed?

I am going to get a TALL glass of tea; this will keep me occupied for some time.

carcraft
carcraft 05/06/12 - 04:52 pm
Truth matters- I can't answer

Truth matters- I can't answer for Newt but Romney could do somthings as a Governor that Obama as President can't, what part of the 10th amendment don't you understand? ummm ummm umm (just go umm ummm ummm in reverse and Romney will make sense to you)

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 05/06/12 - 05:38 pm
Except Romney said that the

Except Romney said that the Mass law was a model for the country.

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/06/12 - 08:22 pm
The birth control deal is

The birth control deal is complex. The First Amendment prohibits the federal government from making a law "respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof". So you would think the govt can't interfer with a religious org health care. But the 14 amendment shines a light and prohibits discrimination, including on the basis of religion, by securing "the equal protection of the laws" for every person. The SCOTUS has ruled that a right to privacy or a due process right does prevent the government from prohibiting adult access to birth control, pornography, and from outlawing sodomy between consenting adults and early trimester abortions. So while the catholic church can have a screamin' fit likely the SCOTUS would rule against them. The mandate is another issue of a more fundamental nature-it really doesn't have anything to do with healthcare-it could be anything. I hope the SCOTUS will not be swayed by the need for health care reform and realize the implications of this mandate as far as the relationship between govt and its citizens. I hope they do something radical and neuter the power of the govt over us-I'm sick of it.

impossible
impossible 05/06/12 - 10:20 pm
Pontius Pilate matters - even

Pontius Pilate matters - even to this day, because so many folks claim the right to deny the existence of any objective truth. "Truth matters" is an empty statement when one believes that truth is merely a personal construct rather than something that is true under any and all circumstances. In other words, only "objective truth" matters, not demagogic spin.

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 05/07/12 - 09:31 am
I wear a helmet when I ride

I wear a helmet when I ride but anyone that celebrates the death of another so they can get a new liver is a jerk. I hope you never lose a person to a tragedy so someone else can get a viable organ. You are a sick person.

allhans
allhans 05/07/12 - 09:00 pm
So even though MOST people

So even though MOST people can afford their own means of bc , we will take it over and pay for it through taxation so that those who don't work and continue to get it free. What problems we create - when there were none.

KSL
KSL 05/07/12 - 08:52 pm
techfan, I'm skipping ahead

techfan, I'm skipping ahead and not catching up with all of your comments. You have gotten on my last nerve and I don't care to read the rest of your comments. Not giving you any thumbs down. Just not reading your comments

You once posted years ago that you were an admirer of GT but you didn't go there. A wise decision on your part. As a whole, they were pretty conservative.

allhans
allhans 05/07/12 - 09:05 pm
I find that those who try to

I find that those who try to make a comparison between state required auto insurance ONLY for vehicle drivers and that of federal ordered health insurance for everyone lose all credibility, and I skip over their long winded posts.

KSL
KSL 05/07/12 - 09:04 pm
That's the truth, allhans.

That's the truth, allhans.

KSL
KSL 05/07/12 - 09:15 pm
I was reared to have personal

I was reared to have personal responsibility for myself, as was my spouse. That came before television sets in most houses and the generations of electronics and services that came about. The problem we have with our society is that we have generations who were not reared with that ethic. And then we have a president who has no clue what it is to have the American experience. It doesn't come from genes. It comes from living in the mainland for some period of time. My apologies to several generations of Hawaiians and Alaskans. You get a pass. Obam with his socialist mom and alleged African warlord father do not get that pass.

Kettle donations rise in 2014