Masters trip fulfilled dream

I would like to express my gratitude toward the Augusta National Golf Club for playing host to a national lottery drawing for the 2012 Masters Tournament.

For someone who had little chance of ever attending the Masters, this lottery was my only shot. I have had rotten luck when it comes to raffles and lotteries, so I did not hold out much hope for my number coming up.

Last May, a golfing buddy sent me the website link to the ticket application page. I was skeptical to sign up, given the history and notoriety associated with a coveted Masters ticket. Could one really be this close to glimpsing the hallowed grounds of Augusta?

Hoping for a miracle, I submitted my application and made a note in my calendar to check back in three months. When an alert came up on my screen to check the status of my application, I nervously logged in to find that I had indeed won tickets – to the Sunday round! Two golden tickets to the big show, for a reasonable $75 each.

This is when the fun began: My wife and I had planned on moving to New York around April 2012. Our moving date carried great significance as soon as we won these tickets. For the next few months, we hatched a plan to drive to New York so we could attend the Masters on Sunday. We spent a week on the road, driving from Dallas to New York, with our foray into Augusta as the highlight of the trip. My wife keeps a blog, Living with Healthy Hunger, and wrote a beautiful record of our adventure in Augusta.

On a single Sunday, we were able to partake in all that Augusta has to offer. For that, I thank the members of Augusta, as they gave me an opportunity to experience what has been a longtime dream. The experience has turned my wife into an instant golf fan, and given us many shared memories for years to come.

Billy Tolson

New York City

etlinks
etlinks 05/04/12 - 05:16 am
Locals are left behind,thanks

Locals are left behind,thanks AN.

justthefacts
justthefacts 05/04/12 - 07:24 am
etlinks, what are you talking

etlinks, what are you talking about?

justthefacts
justthefacts 05/04/12 - 08:43 am
soapy, do you really hate

soapy, do you really hate Augusta that much?

etlinks
etlinks 05/04/12 - 10:03 am
I'm talking about- I know at

I'm talking about- I know at least 50 people that live in the csra that applied for tickets and did not get any including me. Since the so called lottery started I received one ticket and have applied each year.The people that care about golf and support the Augusta area 365 days a year are being left behind.

justthefacts
justthefacts 05/04/12 - 10:17 am
"so called lottery"? Are you

"so called lottery"? Are you saying it's fixed? Mr Tolson in NYC has friends in high places? I would imagine that there are well over 1M entries in the lottery. Chances are slim, but they exist.

ccres
ccres 05/04/12 - 12:37 pm
Why on earth do people who

Why on earth do people who hate Augusta so much continue to live here??? Do us all a huge favor and LEAVE!!

HighSociety
HighSociety 05/04/12 - 03:29 pm
I am thrilled that you were

I am thrilled that you were able to enjoy your visit. Everyone should have the chance to visit at least once in their lifetime. Augusta is a great city, and a fine host for one of the top sporting events in the world. Ladies and gentleman this is what its all about.

unbiased_propaganda
unbiased_propaganda 05/04/12 - 04:03 pm
I couldn't agree more ccres.

I couldn't agree more ccres. I hear it all the time (even from my own friends): "Augusta is so boring....I hate living in Augusta....blah blah blah."

There is plenty of space in the United States to move - GO THERE and FIND YOUR HAPPINESS. Just STOP COMPLAINING.

I think Augusta is a great city. Other than the questionable driving, the good 'ole boy system that still rules the city, and the hot/humid summers - I love Augusta.

Jake
Jake 05/04/12 - 05:31 pm
Well I am one of the ones

Well I am one of the ones that moved away and I am glad that I did. Lived in the Augusta/Martinez/Evans area for almost 30 years. I now reside in the Bay Area of California. Augusta is a nice place to visit except for the summertime. I was there recently in early April and enjoyed the weather, friends, family and golf. I would never move back though. Summers are miserably hot and the winters can sometimes get very cold. Out here it is generally spring time weather all year round. Today it is sunny, 68, with about a 10mph wind. There is good and bad in where ever you choose to live and most of it is what you make it.

scgator
scgator 05/04/12 - 09:41 pm
I am glad that this couple

I am glad that this couple had a wonderful time at the Master's; what I don't understand is that while I was working (retired now); the company that I worked for routinely trained and transferred "upper level" employees in and out of our area every year.........and somehow, they ALWAYS got on the list RIGHT AWAY, and got tickets without any problems; And yet those of us, (regular citizens) who have bragged, promoted, and in our "hometown" pride have done all we can for the tournament........can't even get on the list, let alone get a ticket. I have a friend who once was a chef for the National until he left to take a position with a global hotel group; I asked why???? Who would want to leave the ANC?? I was told they really don't pay that well, but if you have them on your resume, that automatically moves yours to the top of the stack when applying elsewhere. Incidently, when he left, it was for a $40K raise.

Maybe the ANC could support a ticket lottery for the local area; after all, we are the ones who have to suffer through traffic congestion, higher food and gas prices, and everything that comes with the tournament. Believe me, I am an avid golf fan, and love the game with a passion; but, weary of friends from out of town asking how we like the Master's and having to let them know...........IF YOU LIVE IN AND AROUND AUGUSTA........TICKETS APPARENTLY ARE OFF LIMITS TO YOU.

justthefacts
justthefacts 05/04/12 - 09:56 pm
Sigh................

Sigh................

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 05/04/12 - 10:16 pm
Mr. Tolson I am glad your

Mr. Tolson I am glad your dream came true and that you and your wife enjoyed your adventure and visit to Augusta. Sounds to me as if the tickets went to the perfect Masters guest.

Daniel Field removes trees, lights structures in airspace

Daniel Field, managed by operations company Augusta Aviation, has spent more than $30,000 conducting land surveys, removing 30 trees and installing red blinking lights on top of the Newman Tennis ...