Each year the president and Congress designate the first full week of May (this year, May 6--12) as Public Service Recognition Week, in honor of the men and women who serve America as federal, state, county and local government employees. Public Service Recognition Week highlights the accomplishments of the dedicated public servants who work tirelessly on behalf of all Americans, and who rarely get the credit they deserve.

Too often, we highly criticize our public servants, saying they are unproductive, inefficient, rude and so on. Some of us don’t appreciate public employees until there is a need – whether a crime, accident, obtaining a driver’s license, etc.

There are many dedicated and productive public servants who fill many of our various needs daily. And they deserve a big thank you from the citizens of Augusta.

I will look forward to Mayor Deke Copenhaver’s appreciation proclamation for city workers.

desertcat6
desertcat6 05/03/12 - 04:36 am
If and when I see or interact

If and when I see or interact with a government employee next week, I'll thank them. Probably won't happen unless I go out of my way, or have an issue. I sometimes just wish government employees would remember where the money comes from to pay for their salaries, facilities, benefits, programs and projects - taxes of one kind or another. Please don't waste my contributions, or ignore, belittle or make me feel like I'm bothering you when I come to you with an issue.

TParty
TParty 05/03/12 - 06:39 am
If you live in Augusta or the

If you live in Augusta or the surrounding area, I bet you'll run into some soldiers Desertcat.

Jane18
Jane18 05/03/12 - 11:41 am
I guess Mr. Williams has

I guess Mr. Williams has never had to deal with the "service people" at the drivers license office, most post offices, tag offices, etc.. Some of them are the unhappiest, moodiest, sour-faced, rudest people I have ever had to do business with. Not all of them, there have been just as many, or more, that truly appreciate me,as a customer and person, and the fact that they have a job. I always tell the good ones thank you and I appreciate them for being helpful and Nice!!

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 05/03/12 - 02:05 pm
More pc crap. No public

More pc crap. No public service office worker deserves a week to honor them for merely being a public service worker. I do not include police, fire or military personnel within that description. You get paid to go to work and do your job just like every other worker. If you are battling fires, facing bullets or answering the call of duty by all means take a bow. If you are handling a letter, making a drivers license or some other office task join the club...you get thanks every payday.

TParty
TParty 05/03/12 - 03:13 pm
Soapy said: "Apart from

Soapy said: "Apart from military men and women who place themselves in "harms way", I find no reason to celebrate "public servants" who are "paid employees"."

Public servants also include police officers.

Abbynoll
Abbynoll 05/03/12 - 05:56 pm
I sure wish someone would

I sure wish someone would tell me when I'm going to get all this paycheck that's supposed to be off the chain? I made better money working for a not-for-profit mental health facility... and that wasn't much at all. At least that job DID have good benefits.