Don't slight handicapped

Shame on the young man who parked his business truck and extended trailer at Gary’s Restaurant in North Augusta on April 13 – blocking several spaces including a handicapped space, and verbally assaulting me when I questioned him concerning his actions.

I am a 69-year-old, proud and permanently disabled Vietnam veteran who served our country for more than 15 years. Let me say that I have never experienced such contempt from a young person as I did from this man. He truly represents the landscaping company he works for. His suggestion – that no matter where I had to park I would need to walk – could be classified only as rude, callous, inconsiderate and contemptuous.

He and his colleague sat in the restaurant and ate without any regard for others, including those with walkers and wheelchairs. Thank God I now only walk with a cane.

He mentioned that his grandmother was handicapped. I certainly hope she doesn’t approve of his behavior and actions.

The Rev. Larry Brown

North Augusta, S.C.

Bruno
Bruno 04/17/12 - 07:56 am
You should have just called

You should have just called the cops and had him ticketed and towed. A big fat punch in the wallet would probably had more impact on him.

toldyaso
toldyaso 04/17/12 - 10:13 am
Maybe you should mention the

Maybe you should mention the name of his maintenance co. also. But, you are right that people are becoming less considerate of elders and those in need.

swinter05
swinter05 04/17/12 - 10:22 am
I want to apologize for him.

I want to apologize for him. Thank you for your service and I am sorry that rude, no home training kids like him, sadly, represent 90% of young adults these days.

Jane18
Jane18 04/17/12 - 10:24 am
Pastor Brown, you should have

Pastor Brown, you should have told us the name of the landscaping outfit. Sounds as if this guy needs a little "tough-love" directed his way.........................

desertcat6
desertcat6 04/17/12 - 02:18 pm
Happens all the time and the

Happens all the time and the police rarely ticket the offender. Columbia County Sheriff's Office claims they can't ticket offenders at Patriot's Park - not in thier list or some other excuse. My side ramp van has been blocked by able bodied and disabled on numerous occassions. Calling law enforcement hasn't helped. I rarely park in van accessible spaces any more due to the hassle of waiting for folks to return and move off the marked loading zones. Instead, I park across two normal spaces and ignore the looks and comments.

ForeverFrog
ForeverFrog 04/17/12 - 03:56 pm
I didn’t realize how much

I didn’t realize how much able bodied people abuse handicap parking until my friend required it. To top it off his able bodied daughter told us she was using his handicap placard on her out of state vehicle when she went to Augusta Mall and stayed there for hours upon hours!!! Some people have no shame or common sense.

allhans
allhans 04/17/12 - 06:47 pm
If you are willing to sit in

If you are willing to sit in your car for 5 mins and watch you will see all kinds get out of vehicles with a handicapped tag or one of the hangers on the windshield.
Respect and it's meaning is an unknown for these people.

Bruno
Bruno 04/18/12 - 09:12 am
Well so much for joking

Well so much for joking around. Sorry if I offended anyone by what I obviously didn't recommend.

sheesh, what a thin skinned lot we have become.