Don't give Tiger a pass

Accolades to the Associated Press’ Tim Dahlberg for his factual article appearing in the April 7 Augusta Chronicle. Finally, someone developed a backbone in portraying Tiger Woods for his unprofessional attitude, behavior and character qualities that so many people only quietly talk about.

Mr. Dahlberg got the “foul-mouthed, club-kicking” correct. Include club-slinging. It’s not a good example to follow for youngsters learning the game. This is the type of professional-athlete behavior you see in baseball, football or basketball, usually carrying a possible ejection, monetary fine, suspension or all of the preceding.

Mr. Woods is a skilled golfer and a “sort of” apologizer, as AP’s Jim Litke indicates. But a professional attitude, behavior and expectations in golf should never be compromised in favor of skill or crowd appeal.

Defined as “a gentleman’s game,” golf is distinguished by integrity, sportsmanship, honor and dignity, which have been upheld by true gentlemen – Bobby Jones, Sarazen, Nelson, Snead, Hogan, Palmer, Player, Nicklaus, Elder, Floyd, Sifford, Watson, Crenshaw, Norman, Faldo, Couples, Ballesteros, Singh, Mize, Mickelson, Westwood, McIlroy and others.

I’ve followed the Masters Tournament and golf since the 1950s. In 62 years, I don’t recall the gentleman’s game of golf ever being embarrassed or tainted by any professional, as Tiger Woods did 30 months ago when his previously disgusting behavior was disclosed. He continued to embarrass the game of golf on national television, on an otherwise beautiful Friday at the 2012 Masters.

In 1968, Masters officials enforced the ruling for signing an incorrect scorecard, denying Roberto de
Vicenzo a playoff, and a possible Masters victory and green jacket. Now, officials turn a blind eye to Woods’ behavior.

Why do the Masters and the PGA sit on their hands in silence and allow this aloof, arrogant, childlike, temper-tantrum behavior to be displayed on national television at the prestigious Masters? Why is Woods allowed to continue embarrassing golf, the Masters, the above professional gentlemen and himself?

William “Bill” Thweatt

North Augusta, S.C.

Comments (20)

copperhead
copperhead 04/14/12 - 11:16 pm

woods MUST get a pass-he

woods MUST get a pass-he sorta looks like what hussein's son would look like(if hussein had a son) the new determining factor in guilt or innocence-whether the accused looks like hussein's son would look like if hussein had a son.

tracycarter
tracycarter 04/15/12 - 06:30 am

The writer is spot on with

The writer is spot on with his point about Mr. Woods. On live TV he cursed and kicked and all I could think was what a baby. Unfortunately, the answer to the PGA and others turning the other way is all about money and their TV sponsors. Somehow this guy still draws folks to watch. Hopefully, several new stars will emerge. Just think of the contrast of Bubba Watson and his attitudes and statements compared to Mr. Woods. It is also such a contrast between how Nicklaus carried himself at the height of his career vs. Tiger. Pride vs. humility. Plain and simple.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 04/15/12 - 10:12 am

No excuse for bad manners,

No excuse for bad manners, but Tiger is ONE of a whole bunch of guys who do the same kind of thing when they screw up on the course. Everyone treats this as some sort of "special case", when, as my colleague Ashley Brown likes to point out, there are MANY who do the same thing, they just don't have a camera crew following every move they make.

There are several instances of this shown in Masters highlight clips, one of which is Scott Hoch's missed putt on 18, in 1989's final round. As he sees his mistake, he tosses the club up, and then flubs the catch. How many letters to the editor did that inspire?

For some reason, Tiger illicits a measure of response, positive AND negative, that is amplified over everyone else.

Tom Watson, widely regarded as some sort of inspirational and spiritual icon, had his own marital trouble, and still called Tiger out to "come clean."

This focus on Tiger is bizarre...hypocritical...and for some reason, prevalent.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/15/12 - 10:16 am

Austin....This time I agree

Austin....This time I agree with you......the news put him in the spotlight 24/7.......hey....just like some posters on here lol....like you Austin......ya better be good..:)

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/15/12 - 10:34 am

Comparing Tom Watson's

Comparing Tom Watson's marital issue with Tiger's might be a wee bit of a stretch. Having said that, everything with Tiger is magnified because of his impact on the game. It's not unusual or unprecendented. Ask a member of the NYY or Dallas Cowboy's team vs the same on the Diamondbacks or Colts.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/15/12 - 10:46 am

Oh, what Tom Watson did on

Oh, what Tom Watson did on the infidelity thing was far worse than anything Tiger did. Yet, he was given a pass. Steal another pro's wife and get a pass? Look at the remarks by her husband and how it destroyed him.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/15/12 - 10:42 am

Remember Tigers wimmmen came

Remember Tigers wimmmen came out of the woodwork & THEY talked about sex with him......he didn't TALK......we don't know for sure how many really had sex with him....now do we??

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 04/15/12 - 10:50 am

Did not mean to focus on Tom

Did not mean to focus on Tom Watson's issue...EXCEPT to note the hypocrisy.

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/15/12 - 10:59 am

RM, TW wife leaves him, DM

RM, TW wife leaves him, DM wife leaves him. The two meet and get married (two yrs later). I assume you think there was an affair. I don't know, can't find anything in google. Even so, that stuff happens everyday. These days most marriages end in divorce. IMO, Tiger's transgressions are much worse. Multiple women behind his wife's back, two young children whose lives are effected (affected, I will never comprehend when to use one or the other). No comparison.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/15/12 - 11:15 am

JTF, Watson left his wife and

JTF, Watson left his wife and for many years HIS children would have nothing to do with him. Watson blamed his divorce on life on the tour. He met his new wife while she was still living with her husband, the pro. He has made public comments about her leaving destroying him.

I suspect Watson was just as promiscuous as Woods, plus he played a substantial part in breaking up a marriage...something Woods never did. Joe Posnanski has written about Watson's other side.

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/15/12 - 11:30 am

RM, I looked up and read Joe

RM, I looked up and read Joe Posnanski's article in Golf.com. He says nothing about an affair. I don't know one way or the other. Children always choose sides in a divorce. I wonder which side Tiger's kids will take. You can suspect about Watson's behavior, I guess, but there is no evidence that he was bonking women all around the world. And for the record, Watson critisism of Tiger was his conduct on the course, not off.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 04/15/12 - 11:35 am

I love Poz...most of the

I love Poz...most of the time...but he ain't perfect. His rant last year when the female security guard at Augusta National made an honest mistake by keeping a female reporter out of the players' locker room forever rid me of my rose colored glasses on Joe's left wing slant.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/15/12 - 11:35 am

JTF, try this link. It gets

JTF, try this link. It gets into it a little. Now, I have no problem criticizing the way Tiger acted on the course. That was out of line.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/15/12 - 11:38 am

Poz may not always say things

Poz may not always say things I agree with, but I enjoy the heck out of the way he says it. I used to read his columns over and over just for the effect of his words when he was here. It was obvious he was destined for greatness.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/15/12 - 11:46 am

You men are such fools for

You men are such fools for blondes with big boobs....I'm so glad we are much smarter than that.....big boobs do NOTHING for me...lol hehehheh

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/15/12 - 11:48 am

RM, this is some on-line

RM, this is some on-line poster named "brooks" repeating what others have said. Still, no indication of Watson cheating on his wife. He remarried 2yrs later. I admit, I am a BIG Tom Watson fan, but even if I wasn't, I would fail to see the Woods comparison. TW marriage ended due to drinking and the tour life. Denis Watson's wife met and fell in love with Tom (it appears), she left Denis and married Tom. OK, not great, but she would have left Denis anyway, wouldn't she? This brooks guy ends his article with this quote, "UPDATE (4:49): I’m not suggesting that Watson’s situation in the late ’90s comes close to mirroring what Woods did. That wasn’t the point of the piece." I agree.

Jake
Jake 04/15/12 - 12:03 pm

My interest in golf and

My interest in golf and golfers occurs on the 1st hole and ends on the 18th hole. What golfers do outside of the ropes is their business and I could care less what other holes they play. As far as tantrums on the course, I accept it as part of some peoples game. It isn't very professional looking but it has always been around. Anyone remember Tommy Bolt?

etlinks
etlinks 04/15/12 - 12:22 pm

Wow , I thought I could go

Wow , I thought I could go one week without hearing or reading about this person, I was wrong.

tracycarter
tracycarter 04/15/12 - 01:34 pm

I heard and saw no other

I heard and saw no other golfer on the exact same day and broadcast act like Tiger did that day and it also is a pattern as this wasn't the first time. He gets a pass, and all I'm saying is that the behavior should be challenged. Nothing to do with his outside the ropes conduct. I'm talking about inside the ropes. And, he has 14 major championships second only to the guy I did compare him to-Nicklaus. Whether he accepts the responsibility or not, he is role model for youth. No he is not the only one who has lost his temper on the golf course. What I see is a pattern.

billcass
billcass 04/15/12 - 04:58 pm

While Tiger's comments were

While Tiger's comments were inappropriate, they are nothing compared to Fred Couple's comments about Tiger. I don't recall if the PGA sanctioned him, but let's keep things in perspective.

SCV Sam
SCV Sam 04/20/12 - 10:02 pm

'Twas a gentleman's game,

'Twas a gentleman's game, and a club and tournament of and for true gentlemen. Then "Tiger" came along. I am glad Mr. Cliff is not here to see how "Tiger" has defiled, and continues to defile, that precious gem of southern gentility and heritage. His public actions, and most of all his superior smug tone makes decent folks sick to see and hear him. Mr. Payne tried to put him in his place two years ago. Thank you now Mr. Dahlberg for trying again. He is a such a disturbing disgrace.