Stealing sand? Really?

This letter concerns the 40-year old Augusta National Golf Club patron from Ohio charged with “stealing” sand from a bunker by putting it in a cup.

I did not realize the Augusta National had sacred sand. Are the pebbles and pine cones also sacred? Next, they will be arresting patrons for breaking wind on the course, which no doubt will have an adverse effect on the vegetation, if not on the golfers.

Why not give the guy a break? Why arrest him in the first place?

Charles L. Wilkinson

Augusta

csraguy
2085
csraguy 04/14/12 - 04:07 am
Don't fall for headlines

Don't fall for headlines which are used to sell papers - at least read the article. The patron was drunk, disorderly, trespassing by going under ropes into prohibited areas on private property and refused to cooperate with security and police. He was given a misdemeanor charge of disorderly conduct which was in fact giving him a break based on his behavior in public, especially at the age of 40.

Insider Information
Insider Information 04/14/12 - 07:28 am
With one more sand thief off

With one more sand thief off the streets, we are all safer.

david jennings
david jennings 04/14/12 - 07:34 am
I agree, these people stuck

I agree, these people stuck on the sand thing are missing the point. The golf club simply ask that patrons have respect for boundries, others the golfers of course, the National Property and rules. It is sad that behavior and respect has to be policed, I say ban the guy, if not for 3yr. then permanently.

johncapes
johncapes 04/14/12 - 08:27 am
The person describing the

The person describing the incident as "arrested for stealing a cup of sand" should be charged or should I say Discharged? For misleading the public. The Masters is what it is, due to the strict rules of conduct. Hats off to the National!

copperhead
copperhead 04/14/12 - 08:28 am
Of course he was arrested-he

Of course he was arrested-he doesn't look like hussein's son(if hussein had a son)

Bizkit
Bizkit 04/14/12 - 08:43 am
I think y'all underestimate

I think y'all underestimate the significance of this sand. Because of the Buttefly effect likely if he had removed the sand there would have been a Tsunami somewhere in the Pacific. This arrest "saved lives" in my best Jack Nicholson A Few Good Men voice. :)

copperhead
copperhead 04/14/12 - 08:44 am
the masters is what it is

the masters is what it is UNTIL hussein decides who can and can't be members!

Bizkit
Bizkit 04/14/12 - 08:53 am
Apparently the National won't

Apparently the National won't let Obama on the course. Not that they are racist. But they read his book and realized he may try to snort the sand from the bunker thinking its cocaine. Then the grand theft auto was a concern too in regard to golf carts. OoohHawww!

Bizkit
Bizkit 04/14/12 - 09:01 am
It would be interesting to

It would be interesting to psychologically profile all the Presidential candidates. You could get two PhD disserations just from Obama and Santorum, and about a dozen peer-reviewed publications. Both on the crazy train just one is conductor and the other the caboose.

allhans
allhans 04/14/12 - 09:43 am
Great comments. A prime

Great comments. A prime example of how misdirection works. LOL!!!

iLove
iLove 04/14/12 - 09:58 am
Apparently you guys have not

Apparently you guys have not spent a day at the Augusta National Golf Club....if you had, then you would understand why this was such a big deal.

iLove
iLove 04/14/12 - 10:02 am
Copperhead...i understand

Copperhead...i understand your concern or Obama's look-a-like son...some say that was code words for the Illumaniti.....im, just saying....research my friend.

Dick Cheny received a heart around the same time.
Biggest black market items = human organs.
Im just saying.
A ritualistic killing.
Im just saying.

KSL
120768
KSL 04/14/12 - 10:12 am
There are a lot of patrons

There are a lot of patrons who get to go only once via their employers. If all stole a piece of the grounds? Think about it.

KSL
120768
KSL 04/14/12 - 10:25 am
Biz, @9:01. Just goes to show

Biz, @9:01. Just goes to show it ain't what you know, it's who you know!

If had my druthers and could choose the engine and conductor and the caboose, reality would be reversed and this country could be at least making an attempt to get back right, no pun intended.

BarstoolDreamer
BarstoolDreamer 04/14/12 - 10:16 am
I have been to the Augusta

I have been to the Augusta National many times and I do understand what a big deal THEY think their sand is. Some people could be missing the misdirection alltogether. It could have been he was taking some sand for a souvenier and the drunk,disorderly and refused to cooperate were added to make a case. I mean hey, they have grounded a plane for "safety inspections" for flying a banner about a certain golfing feline, scalping is now legal in Ga (execpt close to the National) and Richmond County's first Sunday sales of alcohol was the Sunday of the Masters...but i am sure that these all just coincidences.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/14/12 - 10:22 am
Well, yeah, you can't have

Well, yeah, you can't have people doing that kind of thing, still....couldn't we have given him a warning, twisted his arm hard or something and sent him on his way?

KSL
120768
KSL 04/14/12 - 10:27 am
Thankfully some law abiding,

Thankfully some law abiding, gun toting patron didn't shoot him.

River, it what CSRA said is true, he needed to be arrested.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/14/12 - 10:31 am
KSL, yeah, maybe...still it

KSL, yeah, maybe...still it just doesn't feel right. How about slap him beside the head a few times and send him on his way? Most of the patrons were probably over the alcohol limit.

KSL
120768
KSL 04/14/12 - 10:33 am
barstool, you come into my

barstool, you come into my house, you abide by my rules. For now we have some semblance of private property rights left. Left, no pun intended.

KSL
120768
KSL 04/14/12 - 10:33 am
Police brutality? Are you

Police brutality? Are you advocating that? LOL. I'm just going by what csra reported.

KSL
120768
KSL 04/14/12 - 10:35 am
ilove, what do you think

ilove, what do you think about all of the murders attributed to the Clintons for their personal political gain? Just saying.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/14/12 - 10:49 am
There is absolutely nothing

There is absolutely nothing wrong with police "brutality" now and then. My friend from school, Bubba, became an officer and we used to discuss the issue over beer often. It's more effective, less paperwork and actually is giving the bad guy a break.

Bubba, was trying to get me to join the force, by the way, but since my driver's license was suspended for something like a zillion years for absolutely nothing, that didn't work out. Heh.

BarstoolDreamer
BarstoolDreamer 04/14/12 - 10:55 am
Oh, i agree KSL. When i

Oh, i agree KSL. When i start my private club I can run it any way I see fit. I was just pointing out that the headline might be accurate, what drew the other charges was crossing a yellow line to steal sand. Just own it...don't hide behind other charges. stealing sand is still stealing.

Bizkit
Bizkit 04/14/12 - 11:02 am
I want my own private island.

I want my own private island. Where I am king and ruler over the people. And all the women must mate with me so their first born will be my spawn (most presidents were first born), and they will become my army (everyone will comment what a good lookin' army). But unlike the harsh Aug National I will let my people have all the sand they want. See you were thinkin I was a evil despot but I'm really a nice despot.

Bizkit
Bizkit 04/14/12 - 11:30 am
I've been to Aug National

I've been to Aug National three or four times over the years. It is a beautiful place with a kool history. Like a Garden of Eden stuck in the middle of wasteland. Just seems outta place from its surroundings. I would wager the majority of locals have never set foot on the place. I'd be happy to donate some sand to AN from my private Island. My philanthropic nature is overwhelming. I think we need to use a Sandtrap metaphor to pick presidents. Whoever can get the ball outta da sand trap wins. A little competition, natural selection, and Social Darwinism. Now the presidency is an arms race between two political machines.

KSL
120768
KSL 04/14/12 - 11:41 am
Biz, I'm just dying to tell

Biz, I'm just dying to tell you something, but not here. You can find me at bellsouth.net

allhans
allhans 04/14/12 - 12:41 pm
If the patron wanted sand he

If the patron wanted sand he could have done what the Masters did and bought his own.
I don't want him stealing sand from my sand box either -:)

Insider Information
Insider Information 04/14/12 - 12:59 pm
You all are missing the

You all are missing the point...

It is well established that sand theft is the gateway crime. First, it's stealing sand and then murder soon follows.

Study after study talks about the impact of sand theft on communities. Harvard published a study just the other day comparing crack use to sand theft and found little difference.

Sand theft drives down property values. People are killed over sand thefts all the time.

Thank you, deputy, for keeping us safe.

Insider Information
Insider Information 04/14/12 - 02:44 pm
I got a thumbs down? All of

I got a thumbs down?

All of the studies are wrong?

iLove